Good Wife Recap: Bishop Takes Pawn?

Good Wife

If you lie down with sharks, there’s a good chance you’ll get eaten alive.

That bloody truth continues to cloud The Good Wife‘s sixth season like so much chum in the water.

Lemond Bishop keeps swimming straight ahead, his cold, businessman’s smile threatening murder — yet also reducing the act of taking a life to something utterly mundane. He orders hits as casually as you and I might pick up a gallon of milk at the corner store on the way home from work.

And so, when Bishop tells Kalinda (whose hair has gotten really long, BTW) that her choice of sexual partners makes him feel less than calm, when he sets up a political action committee for Alicia, when he merely mentions Cary’s name in passing, it’s a truly unsettling experience.

Yet our merry band of Florrick-Agos-Lockhart protagonists have invited the unspeakable to their door. As Kalinda searches for a path to save Cary from prison, she endangers the life of almost every person she encounters. (What’s the death toll at? Silver-toothed Jim Lenard, Trey Wagner, his cousin…) As we hear the audio evidence of a flip, funny Cary discussing with Bishop’s crew the transport of heroin, we realize that — out of context or not — the best we can view him is “not guilty” (a far cry from “innocent”). And Alicia’s failure to shut down Bishop’s shadowy campaign fund adds a touch of hypocrisy to her stump speeches about wanting to restore credibility to the State’s Attorney’s office. (I know, I know…in comparison to what might be in store for Kalinda and Cary, Alicia’s problems seem trivial. Heck, even TK down at the soup kitchen doesn’t have much to complain about, does she?)

But back to the adjective I used before: Unsettling. Here we are, eight episodes in to the season, and there’s still this overarching question of where Robert and Michelle King are taking us. There is no Yellow Brick Road — just a grimy, back-alley… and it’s going to end badly for someone. And that’s beautifully, breathtakingly truthful.

Diane’s killer accessories. Alicia’s eye-catching suits. Will’s after-work Scotch. Cary’s $4,000-a-month apartment. Kalinda’s decidedly-not-DSW boots. The delectable infighting over office space and the Chum-Hum account. So much of it has been made possible by Lockhart-Gardner (and now Florrick-Agos-Lockhart) accepting — or, no, courting — the “legitimate business interests” (aka money laundering) of Chicago’s biggest drug dealer.

It’s not easy storytelling — six years in — to suddenly have all this unspoken danger come home to roost. And — who knows? — maybe it won’t turn out to be perfect storytelling, either. But it’s bold and it’s interesting — with roots that extend deeper than perhaps anything happening in TV right this moment. So with that thought expressed, let’s summarize the action from this week’s episode.

THE KALINDA PROBLEM |
In a nutshell, Bishop learns that Kalinda is back “on again” — in bed — with FBI agent Lana, and he wants to know exactly what case she’s working on. See, Bishop has learned that the State’s Attorney and the Feds are feeding info to one another, and Kalinda’s promises that Lana isn’t on Bishop duty aren’t reassuring him. “Find out what your girlfriend is working on — if you want me to be calm about you sleeping with a federal agent,” he says, coolly, before telling her to get out of his car. Kalinda, who can’t help but assert herself even in the scariest of times, pauses just for a second before she opens the door — and it just makes me love her that much more. Later, though, she listens in on one of Lana’s phone calls through the bathroom door: “The same with the State’s Attorney — you use him to get to Bishop,” we hear an agitated Lana saying. And then, a moment later, “wait ’til the tap.”

Soon after, Bishop makes another appearance in the parking garage — and Kalinda protects the woman with whom she has this twisted game of cat-and-mouse-and-possible-soulmate, telling Bishop that Lana is working on a “white-collar crime” case. “I don’t believe you,” says Bishop, handing Kalinda what looks like a blank, white hotel key card and telling her to slip it in Lana’s wallet. He won’t say what it is or why he’s doing it — but it’s clear this act of treachery is Kalinda’s only way to stay off Bishop’s “naughty” list. When the time comes, though, she can’t go through with the act, muttering “damnit” to herself and breaking the card in half. Does this mean Bishop will be out for Kalinda’s blood? Does it mean he’ll mark Lana for death (rather than risk the uncertainty of her mission)? And could it spell bad news for Cary, since Kalinda seems to be the only person willing/capable of undermining Bishop to save him?

THE CARY PROBLEM | As mentioned earlier, the audio evidence fed to the State’s Attorney’s office makes us understand exactly why a guy as upstanding as Finn Polmar thinks Cary colluded with Bishop’s crew to help them transport massive amounts of heroin. Cary insists that Trey selectively recorded pieces of their conversation — the better to throw him under the bus — and decides that in light of Trey’s murder, he’s going to have to testify on his own behalf and explain the tapes. Diane calls on frenemy Viola Walsh (Rita Wilson) to do a mock cross-examination, however, and Cary struggles to sound credible in any way. In particular, Viola’s questions about Cary’s early Lockhart-Gardner salary ($85,000/year), Assistant State’s Attorney’s salary ($38,000/year) and subsequent Florrick-Agos compensation ($350,000 with profit participation) — and her amazement that he kept his $4,000/month rental through all three gigs — makes it appear as though he was on Bishop’s payroll all along. “If I’m on the jury, he’s going away for 15 years,” Viola later tells Diane, without the slightest bit of passive-aggressive glee. And Diane’s followup to Cary — “You’re 14 days away from spending a decade in prison!” — spells out just what’s at stake as TV’s best drama careens toward its midseason finale.

It’s Alicia, finally, who’s been examining her own public image (more on that in a second), who stops being polite and starts getting real. “You’re lost in the indignation and the anger,” she tells Cary, and then implores him to let the jury find those emotions on their own. Otherwise, “it reads like entitlement.” Our buff, blonde attorney suddenly rights his ship, giving terse, unemotional answers to Viola — though how that’ll play with a jury remains to be seen. I want to think there’s no way Mr. Agos’ entire six-season arc will lead to him sitting behind bars, a cautionary tale about who we choose as our business associates and what ideals we sacrifice for success, but we’re still too far from the end of the tunnel/season to be confident in that hope.

THE CARY-KALINDA PROBLEM | Cary keeps getting the brush-off from Kalinda — a court-ordered 50-foot distance between them doesn’t help — but when he sees her getting a steamy drop-off kiss from Lana, he sneaks into Kalinda’s apartment (violating bail) and confronts her. Act like you care for the next 14 days, he pleads. “We’re not married. We’re not even going steady,” counters Kalinda, who can’t let on that her relationship with Lana may be the source of whatever intel finally frees him from this legal hell. “I don’t want to be with anybody else,” Cary says, cutting through the couple’s typically guarded, steamy aura. But when Kalinda refuses to offer the same reassurance, Cary — a man who feels he’s living on borrowed time, with few allies in his corner — can’t abide. “Thank you, and go to hell,” he says, cutting Kalinda off. Legally, it’s the kindest, smartest move Kalinda can make, driving him away, but despite the well-heeled investigator’s intimacy issues, I’m pretty sure she’s equally heartbroken by the end of the conversation.

105465_0139bTHE ALICIA PROBLEM |
As Eli and Johnny roll up their sleeves for some focus-group testing, Alicia makes the unfortunate misstep of walking in right in the midst of a “stuck-up bitch” (Eli’s words, not mine) grousing that Alicia seems “entitled” — that she makes everything about her own pain and her own accomplishments. (The freeze frame of the woman’s cynical expression provides one of the episode’s biggest/most-needed LOLs.) Alicia asks Finn if she’s really got an entitlement problem, if “maybe the people who know me are being too polite,” and he tells her the best way to forget these pesky troubles is to come down and help him with his weekly soup-kitchen duty. What begins as a genuine-ish call to charity — I do love Alicia’s fantasy that a night of volunteer work might change her harshest critic’s opinion — ends very badly when Alicia gets photographed wearing a dazzling designer suit and washing a pot that’s deemed as already clean. Suddenly, she looks like a political opportunist – despite the fact that she hadn’t asked for any media coverage. Eli, enraged with his political advice going ignored once again, gives Alicia all the instruction she needs about being St. Alicia: “If you really want to be a good person, I’ll tell you where to send the check.” By the end of the hour, a re-staged photo op helps restore the shine to Alicia’s halo, Castro withdraws from the race (WHAT?!) and Prady (David Hyde Pierce) declares his candidacy

CASE OF THE WEEK | Owen comes by to make up with his sister Alicia, but also puts on his “puppy-dog face” to get Alicia to help one of his students pursuing disciplinary action against her assailant in a sexual assault case. It’s a doozy of a proceeding that shows the often maddening injustice of university response to on-campus rape — the victim having to point out she was “careful” ahead of time and then having to explain her lack of tears when filing her complaint prove especially chilling — but mostly it’s a way to show us Alicia can still champion a good cause and get deeply invested at a time when she’s supposed to be cutting back on case work. The end result isn’t entirely satisfying for any of the parties, but the perpetrator winds up getting expelled (on drug charges) and Louis Canning suffers a loss in court, so all’s well that ends well, I suppose.

OK, your turn. What did you think of “Red Zone”? How worried should we be for Cary and Kalinda — individually and as a couple? And do you think any of our main or recurring players (ahem, Lana) might be marked for death? Sound off in the comments!

1. bar says:

Okay, this was too much. The first scene where Diane, Alicia and Cary were reviewing the tape and Kalinda is all the sudden on the phone–it’s so transparent and it felt very awkward. Marguiles better swallow her pride and at least share a scene with her in the season finale. Other than that, it was a good episode. I was very happy with Kalinda breaking the card in half, and I loved that last scene with her and Cary; “thank you and go to hell.”

• Jordan says:

I thought Kalinda was on the phone because there’s a court order prohibiting her from being within 30 feet of Cary.

• Bryce says:

The show always explains away why Kalinda’s in the phone when Alicia’s in a room, but tonight I felt it was especially noticeable.

• TV Gord says:

It’s only noticeable because you’re looking for it. It’s not lost on me that this discussion seems similar to the conclusion-jumping going on among the focus group in this episode. ;-)

• Coal says:

The court order restricting Cary and Kalinda from being within 30 feet from each other gave context to that scene, but from the viewers perspective the show is becoming more and more blatant about separating the two women.

• Ana says:

I was 5 minutes away from quitting this show last night. The only reason I’ll be back is that Kalinda cracked that card in half at the end of the episode. IMO up until that point they had completely destroyed the Kalinda character, not surprising that Archie doesn’t want back next year.

• @Bar…what is “too much” is your post. Unless you have inside scoop into what caused the conjectured rift between Julianna and Archie, you should probably refrain from making judgments. Who needs to swallow what isn’t clear. More importantly, who cares? I like both actresses and I love both characters but my viewing experience has in no way been affected by their lack of shared screen time. They both have interesting arcs and both can command the scenes that they are in.

2. Mally says:

I’ve been so over Cary and Kalinda as a couple, so I really don’t care about that. I hope Cary can pull through. Dude needs to be given a break.

• DW says:

Yes, Cary has been put through hell so far this year. I think it could get even worse before it gets better for him. Cary earns sympathy with his plight because the viewers can see he is innocent and it is disturbing to see the incredible legal abuse piled upon him. Hang in there Cary!

• Cary shares as much chemistry with Howard as he does Kalinda. I don’t like them together at all.

3. Janelle says:

I keep hoping that something is going to happen romantically between Alicia and Finn. I am extremely worried for Cary, but I loved Kalinda for tearing up that card (btw, what the heck was that thing??!). I can’t wait to see what Peter’s new scandal is, which Alicia “won’t stand by” him for. Could it be that skanky little intern that Eli fired from their office? I despised that girl, which I’m sure I was supposed to. Whatever the dirt is I’m sure it will not dissapoint.

4. Sparky says:

Can’t decide whether I like or just don’t care about Cary and Kalinda as a couple but I am glad that he did tell her to go to hell so that he could get his head back in the game. With Kalinda leaving the show is it too obvious a plot line that Bishop is going to be responsible for killing her?? Certainly would be a shocking type ending for her character. Love Elii – some of the best one liners!!!

5. David P. Graf says:

Here’s how I expect things to end this season. Kalinda is going to kill Bishop to protect Cary and then goes on the run and out of the series.

• Root says:

I think that Kalinda will take down Bishop but not necessarily kill him. Maybe she’ll finally open up to Lana and clue her into what’s going on. Then, they can work together. Kalinda takes down Bishop and finally joins Lana (“come work for me”) at the FBI, leaving the show that way. (See my wonderful optimism!)

• Jamie says:

I like your theory! If Kalinda joined the FBI, that would be a happy ending for her. I’d be thinking she’d probably kill Bishop and have to go into witness protection. At any rate, I hope her character doesn’t get killed off like Will was.

6. Jill says:

I’m surprised at how much I’m actually liking Finn, it’s almost making me miss Will a little less…almost. And what was that throwaway remark about Castro dropping out of the race!!!??? Really??? Did the actor all of a sudden become unavailable or something? That was so random and thrown in there. I’m not too sad because he was too creepy for me, and I’d much prefer Alicia to take on David Hyde Pierce who I think is already doing a great job with the role, but how was that just thrown in as an afterthought?

7. Jimmy says:

Something tells me the Kalinda/Bishop “issue” will be what takes Kalinda and Archie Panjabi off the show.

• My thoughts exactly.

Also, this whole charade of keeping Kalinda and Alicia from sharing scenes is becoming very transparent. And even more childish. IMO

• CatLady54 says:

I must have missed a show cause I thought Alicia & Kalinda had buried the hachet a few seasons ago. Did something else happen between them to keeo Alicia & Kalinda apart?

• Before the season started, Buzzfeed posted an article saying that Alicia and Kalinda have not appeared in a scene together in 30 episodes, leaving people to believe that in real life the two don’t get along. All I know is that I really miss them together.

8. Jenna says:

Very curious about what led to Castro dropping out of the race..poor polling or something more shady? With Finn no longer around to do his dirty work re: Cary, was he possibly too exposed to pursue re-election? While the writers are doing a fantastic job with Cary’s story, it’s very anxiety inducing and difficult to watch given that it’s being portrayed as an injustice. I can’t really process that he really is guilty of anything except having a nefarious and poorly chosen client.

Also, I am not sure about how I’m supposed to feel about the Kalinda love triangle either. She has more than enough going on with the Bishop situation and Cary needs to focus on avoiding prison. If the show needs to push a romantic angle, I’d rather see Alicia having a romp or two with Finn. Based on the previews, it looks like Peter might have been caught with his pants down again while Alicia continues on as a nun once more.

I really dislike Alicia’s smarmy election tale all together but sadly, I can’t imagine that it will wrap up by the winter break with only 2 episodes remaining until January.

9. Heather says:

It is time for Lemond Bishop to be killed off the show. And Alicia should lose the race. There was a mention tonight that Castro was pulling out of the State’s Attorney race. Perhaps there won’t be as much fervour to use Cary.

10. Emily says:

I can see Archie Panjabi leaving the show at season’s end with Kalinda going into witness protection because of Bishop.

11. metekaan2013 says:

Marvelous episode…But, than again, what “Good Wife” episode isn’t amazing?

12. analog says:

Michael Cerveris might be too busy with Fun Home so they decide to let Castro drop from the race.

13. Mary Ann says:

I actually thought the news clip of Castro withdrawing and Prady announcing, while Alicia was shown working in the soup kitchen, was a fake made to see who the focus group would choose. Weren’t they the ones watching it? Seems to me Eli and Alicia would have had a big reaction to the story, but they did not.

14. It's Jim says:

I don’t understand why people won’t sever relationships with Bishop. That’s what real lawyers would do – ones who are involved in politics or want to be. This is a tremendous threat to the Governor. They should all get together and give evidence to the DA so Bishop can be prosecuted for murder.

There’s no way that Cary is guilty of anything but childishness and bad judgement. Why is the judicial system and the DA’s office being portrayed as so guiltily blind or monomaniacal?

Why do readers here like Finn and Kalinda? Finn has prosecuted Cary without good reason acting as a tool for his evil boss. Kalinda, in my opinion is two-faced and can’t be trusted whatsoever. I have viewed her this way since I first started watching the series several years ago. She’s always in bed with someone when she should be working. She lies to everyone except for a few people like Diane. She is some kind of strange nymphomaniac. Why would she take the “card” from Bishop? By the way I think it is a transponder. She should tell Bishop “I can’t do that.”

And why in hell is Alicia running for office? – how could Peter or Eli want that? She is having trouble establishing her new law practice, her partner is being framed, and she is messing around with this – for what?

Everybody is being irrational. The only two people who seem to be rational, that is doing what it takes to actually meet their objectives, relatively laudatory objectives, are Eli and Diane.

• Citygirl says:

Florrick/Argos/Lockhart representing Lemond Biship will cause Alicia to lose the election. THIS WILL come out that Bishop has way too many dirty dealings and with Alicia in the State’s Attorney’s office – the office that would possibly prosecute any matter against Bishop AND her former firm – would be such a direct conflict of interest. If the other guy running, Prady, was smart – he would start digging for dirt on Alicia and her firm. It would make anything Peter has done mild in comparison. Who knows – maybe the writers will get smart and actually write something that kinda is real.

Also, I really don’t like Alicia any longer. She IS entitled and she THINKS she can win this SA election when in all actuality she is not a politician in any way shape or form. Even with Eli’s help, she is just not believable. If this was in real life and since we just finished elections, she would NEVER EVER win!! And nothing is ever mentioned about her meeting up with Finn all the time. She is STILL a married woman.

• aravishiva says:

Do you know the fact that the makers got inspired from Hillary Clinton’s life? And guess what, Hillary is doing quite well as a politician even though she was a non-politician. That’s the whole point of the show.

• lkh says:

Not a politician!!!? really?

• Citygirl says:

Huh? Now where did you ever hear that???? I have never heard such a silly thing!

• aravishiva says:

Copied from the wiki page. Michelle [King]: We came up with the idea about a year and half ago. There had been this waterfall of these kinds of scandals, from Bill and Hillary [Clinton], to Dick Morris, to Eliot Spitzer, to name just a few. I think they are all over our culture. And there was always this image of the husband up there apologizing and the wife standing next to him. I think the show began when we asked, “What are they thinking?” And Robert and I started talking about it from there. … You know, what’s interesting about a lot of these political scandals is that the women are lawyers, too. Hillary [Clinton] is a lawyer. Elizabeth Edwards is a lawyer. I think that got us thinking along those lines. That is, we knew she had to go back to work, and we had so many female lawyers to draw on.

• Betty says:

Florrick/Agos/Lockhart NO LONGER represents Bishop, so I don’t think that will cause her to lose the election. She will lose the election because she is just not a good candidate despite all of Eli & Elfman’s best efforts.

• madskilz48 says:

They don’t represent Bishop any more.

15. Leah says:

Just me, or was the woman (I think her nametag said Sally) on the focus group panel that said Alicia seemed entitled and selfish a dead ringer for Mackenzie Vega’s (Grace’s) sister?!

We couldn’t stop noticing it!

16. DW says:

Very good and entertaining episode. Cary’s story is very tense and interesting to watch. This show excels on so many levels and the interaction between the characters is terrific. All did extremely well again tonight. The tears in Cary’s eyes when Alicia spoke to him said it all. The recap was excellent in pointing out the consequences of working with someone like Bishop. Because on TGW the gray area is where even the good guys reside.

17. Coal says:

Meh, it was better than the last three episodes. What exactly is the object that Bishop gave Kalinda and what does it do ? Ah well the way this season is going it probably won’t be clarified or discussed again. The whole jealous lover angle is beginning to annoy me, you life is literally falling apart but you are more worried about who you are sleeping with ? That’s borrowing from The CW and ABC playbook were romance defies rational thinking.

• Saabgirlatx says:

It’s showing a man unraveling and how far Kalinda is willing to go to save him. She just can’t let him in on how she’s trying to do it.

18. abz says:

That Cary/Alicia scene where she gave him advice filled me with such joy. I mean just seeing the two of them so casually talking and being friends and seeing how far they’ve come in six seasons, I just love it. And Cary on the verge of tears during that scene broke my heart.
    I’m getting more and more nervous that Kalinda is not gonna make it out alive this season. I really want Bishop gone. I hate seeing Kalinda afraid of anyone. I want her to gain the upper hand. I’ll be extremely heartbroken and pissed if she’s killed. (Awful thought just popped in my head right now. What if the show is misleading us into thinking that Kalinda is in danger when in fact Bishop might end up targeting Cary by end of season?)
    I’m glad the show had Cary finally confront Kalinda. The Cary/Kalinda connection just wasn’t working. All it was was just sex. I mean I do think they genuinely care for each other, but romantically it just wasn’t working.
    I really think the show needs to delve further into why Alicia is truly running. I’m not opposed to her campaign as I think it’s been very fun so far to watch so far, but I feel like Alicia herself doesn’t know why she’s running. She says her reason was to get the corrupt Castro out of SA office, but now that he’s dropped out, what other reasons does she have left? I want them to explore that.

19. Coal says:

When Peter needed legal representation Elsbeth Tasiconi was the one they went to, when Will needed lawyer it was her, even Alicia used her as her legal council. Why doesn’t Cary ? That would have been a better use of Carrie Preston’s talents than the comical way the used her this season. It would also free up Diane, The Good Wife has to large and talented cast to only focus on two story arcs.

20. TV Gord says:

I’m surprised how many people who are clearly paying attention keep saying it’s “obvious” that this certain thing is going to happen or something as cliched as the witness protection program is going to be an easy out for Kalinda’s storyline. When has this show ever been predictable?

Also, the number of people who are suggesting easy wrap-ups to these tautly-written scenarios is surprising. People actually want easy solutions so these characters can be happy and content in their jobs and their lives? Where would all of this fun be if that happened?

Someone wants Bishop off the show? Why, when they’ve built up such a great antagonist whose actions are propelling more than one storyline. Someone would rather see Alicia with Finn than the Kalinda triangle? Again, where’s the fun in that? The way the story is unfolding, it’s not about just pairing up any ol’ characters. Kalinda’s sexual escapades are integral to moving the storyline forward, not just for the sake of having some romantic entanglement. Besides, what’s all of this talk about romance? When has there ever been romance on The Good Wife? It’s sex, it’s not romance. Whenever anyone has sex on this show, it’s about power positioning, not romance. The closest they’ve ever come to actual romance was between Diane and Kurt (Gary Cole), and even their Mary-Matalin-James-Carville dynamic is its own power-play.

The irony of reading some of these comments on a night when we watched the absurd opinions of that focus group makes me think the point they were trying to make tonight flew over a lot of people’s heads.

It seems some people want The Good Wife to be watered down into “just another show”, and it baffles me. We’re seeing things happening on this show that we’ve never seen happen on any other show! I’d think fans would just sit back and enjoy the groundbreaking stuff we’re seeing and hold off from nitpicking every little aspect of the show that isn’t quite going precisely the way you want it to. These are pearls we’re watching develop. Stop being swine! ;-)

• Someone says:

Thank you!

• Anne says:

Yes, I agree with all of this. I don’t want any of it wrapped up into a “just another show”. And you’re right about the sex vs. romance. None of this is about romance.

• Wow says:

How in the world is Kalinda and who she beds for the week an important part of this show? Whoever Kalinda sleeps with, is in no way important in moving the storyline forward. If you meant Kalinda’s, maybe yes; but everyone else’s, absolutely not.

21. tahina says:

I will hate if they kill Kalinda off, hope she gets the hell out off Bishop’s hair in one piece. This show gets so damn good, so many stories going on and all so well written and acted it’s amazing what they can do in 42 minutes! On a side note, love how the show portrays lesbian couples and make their sex scenes so believable, great acting. If only other networks cough* ABC/Grey’s cough* could learn from CBS.

22. B says:

I think the show making us fear for Kalinda is a misdirection. In my opinion, Bishop wants to control her more than get rid of her, or he would have already done it. I would not be surprised if someone she cares about is killed instead, and she leaves because she feels responsible.

I want the show to cover why Alicia is really running. It just feels like something she wouldn’t do and the reasons she’s given are obviously not the real ones. I get that the show is showing that Alicia has changed since the beginning, but I’m not liking some of those changes.

23. Asta says:

I don’t think it was Alicia’s fantasy that a night of volunteer work might change her harshest critic’s opinion. She wanted to do it for herself to see if she would feel better. Not expecting photo opps at all.

24. Saabgirlatx says:

Goodbye Lana – I’m afraid despite Kalinda not putting the card in the wallet. I’m thinking GPS device or a mini bomb perhaps? And what about Lanas intentions…

25. Ella says:

I personally LOVE Cary and Kalinda together and felt that scene between them was emotionally packed and much needed. Their love scenes are hot but in 6 seasons, neither character has cared romantically about anyone else as much as they have cared about each other and that scene showcased it, even if Kalinda was lying to protect him. I hate that Archie is leaving and I hate that Julianna Margulies is no doubt the cause. I’ve been a fan of hers since ER and I love Alicia Florrick but this taints the actress and the show for me. It’s a really irresponsible abuse of power by JM as an EP – Kalinda’s a fan-favourite character and Archie’s a perfectly nice person, suck it up and keep her around :(

26. Coal says:

Is it weird that after 6 season/ 6 years that Alicia’s closest confidant is a character she met a few months ago ?

27. Luli101 says:

I like Good Wife, but it is a different show after Will’s death. We were in this comfort zone of great stories and all the drama that happened was relational. Now, it is like there are no barriers to what can happen. Everything just kind of exploded. I’m not sure if I like it better this way or the way it was before. Hmmm….

28. lkh says:

Of all the comments here, I don’t see any about the case of the week. That is an extraordinarily important topic/problem on campuses. Not sure it received the attention it should. Universities are really trying to address this and those kinds of ‘hearings’ are indeed part of the plan. The student didn’t do as good a job, or the writers, explaining that due to the trauma she was probably still in shock and like many victims didn’t want to get involved in all the hoopla that occurs when victims accuse abusers.

29. Missy says:

Great show. I so wish the ratings were better because it’s one of the only smart shows on tv. Yup, my guess is Bishop kills the FBI girlfriend, which leads to a showdown between him and. Kalinda. Think Kalinda will be killed as well. Love her on the show, and that will be a loss.

30. Jan says:

I don’t care about Cary and Kalinda as a couple, but do care about their friendship. It was tough to hear him tell her to go to hell when she’s really been doing her damnedest to help him. When Bishop handed Kalinda that white thing I got chills. When she broke it in pieces rather than putting it in Lana’s wallet, I said, “Thank you!” However, I knew that could also lead to dire consequences for her. She knows it, too. I was really hoping her exit from the show wouldn’t be by death, but now I’m not so sure.
    That college case was maddening! Yes, it was definitely good to see Alicia involved in something other than that damned campaign. Canning was his usual cunning self. Rita Wilson was quite good, too.

• Lucy says:

Sorry I don’t buy that writers’s idea that since she’s trying to “save his life” I have to accept that she’s also killing his heart in the process. We didn’t need Cary and Kalinda to being a couple. They could have stayed friends and she could have helped him anyway. Instead they had to put those two together and now they’re trying to say that she has feels for Lana. Really?The same Lana who was willing to have her killed by Bishop two seasons ago? Yeah, really consistent storyline here. That’s while they’ve teased Cary and Kalinda relationship for 6 years and every year Cary ended up with his heart broken and every season she managed to be part of his life again even if every time he was less willing to welcome her back . And after 6 ys of try now she’s letting her guard off with Lana? Go to hell is the only thing I can think about that story.

31. John Moshier says:

it looks like kalinda or her fbi friend is gonnadie if its the fbi women kalenda will probably leave town for her safty she is leaving the show

32. PFitzDC says:

I’m growing a cold on this season. The focus is too broad and it’s not tight. Characters and storylines getting short shrift and the writing team is getting downright sloppy. My final straw was the throwaway line that Castro is getting out of the state’s attorney race–and Alicia barely blinks? She’s still running? Her whole motivation had been to beat Castro specifically.

• Mary Ann says:

Once again, I don’t think that was a real news report. Just something they were showing to the focus group for a reaction.

33. summerswing says:

I has started to struggle with this show in the last year. I am still heartbroken about Will. But, it just seems like the writers are working overtime to try and make these characters look stupid. Are we really to believe that this is a multi million dollar firm and yet Cary spent most of last night as if he had a drug problem with a dazed look in his eyes. Kalinda used to be this smart cool intelligent investigator – and now the only way she can get information is to sleep with whomever – Alicia looked like an idiot with the pots and pans – but does anyone remember the number of times she forgot the meetings with Finn earlier on – and where is that story line going – they used to have such smart funny dialogue in the scenes. and they keep introducing new characters – too much to keep track of.

It was great when they were at war with Lockhardt Gardner – now this year, you have less of that ( a lot less ) , no Will, no David Lee, and no governor – and the women have appeared absolutely shrill in court.Hoping their going to pull a rabbit out of a hat soon – because I am fading fast.