Ratings: Parenthood Tops Elementary for First Time; Gracepoint, Scandal Dip

KATIE LOWES, KERRY WASHINGTON

Back from a one-week break, ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy this Thursday drew 8.1 million total viewers and a 2.4 demo rating (per finals), dipping 7 percent and a tenth from its last fresh outing.

Scandal led out of that with 9.8 mil/2.9, slipping two tenths in the demo, while How to Get Away With Murder (9.2 mil/2.8) ticked up 6 percent and a tenth.

RELATED Read Our Recaps for Grey’s, Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder

Elsewhere….

NBC | With NFL preemptions now factored out, Biggest Loser (4.4 mil/1.2) dipped a tenth, and Bad Judge (3.7 mil/0.9) was flat, A to Z (2.7 mil/0.8) is up a tenth and Parenthood (4  mil/1.3) rose two tenths, beating an original Elementary for the first time ever.

CBS | With NFL preemptions now factored out, Big Bang Theory (16.6 mil/4.3) rose two tenths, Mom (10.8 mil/2.3) slipped two tenths, Two and a Half Men (9.1 mil/2.1) dropped three tenths, The McCarthys (6.7 mil/1.5) slipped two tenths and Elementary (7.1 mil/1.2) was flat.

FOX | Bones was rock steady with 5.6 mil/1.3, but Gracepoint (3 mil/0.7) dipped 10 percent and a tenth.

THE CW | Vampire Diaries (1.6 mil/0.8) was flat, but Reign (1.3 mil/0.4) dipped a tenth.

1. Joe says:

Scandal for the most part was great last night except the Fitz , Oliva dirty talk ( made me cringe )

2. aunni says:

cw sd put it’s two cheap,tacky show tvd+TO on the same day. tvd is hurting reign. they sd pair up jane n reign.

3. Tran says:

Hope Bad Judge and A to Z will live on forever once they wrapped up their 13-episode run respectively after both sitcoms were cancelled by NBC (sad).

4. G says:

Great for HTGAWM, the show is pretty good, unlike One Vampire Hill which keeps falling, and totally deserves it. EVERY single character is annoying and the smirky/ironic Damon is the worst of them all. No, I am not Delena/Stelena whatever, I just used to love the show so much. Now I can’t stand it. Wonder how can Thr Originals be so good hailing from the same writers.

5. GuessWhat says:

I admit when I am wrong.
    I really didn’t expect an uptick for the two “cancelled” NBC sitcoms.
    Odd.
    I thought more people would jump ship and give up after that news.

• Ray says:

Perhaps the fanbase with Nielson boxes was galvanized to watch live in hopes of a last minute save?

• danny says:

Maybe that’s the new network strategy. “We’re canceling so-and-so!” The hope is more people might tune in to see it before it goes and the ratings will rise. Then they uncancel it. Let’s see if it works. :)

• Tran says:

Don’t count The Blacklist out just yet if it’s going to save Thursday nights on NBC come February 5 @ 9 p.m.

• N tTV Fiddler says:

Yep, that’s the X-factor isn’t it? I was thinking along the same lines you were. Once The Blacklist gets to that 9pm slot, we’ll know more than just the 9pm slot numbers – we may also see what happens at 10pm. I believe (?) Parenthood will be off the air by the time Blacklist reaches Thursdays, but whatever NBC is showing at that 10pm slot, that could boost ratings and make things interesting against CBS and Elementary.

If Parenthood is competitive vs Elementary now (with NBC 9pm lead-ins), I can only wonder how things will look at 10pm once Blacklist arrives.

6. Amy H says:

I wish I liked Gracepoint more. The show is just plain slow.

7. Emma says:

Too bad Grey’s slipped a little because it was a really good episode (but isn’t that always how it goes?). The break last week probably didn’t help.

• chris says:

They broke up Callie and Arizona, That ship sailing (for what, the third or fourth time now) and apparently sinking, may have caused that couples fan base to ditch this week.

8. Moment says:

I think we all know Elementary will adjust down in the finals, question really is how many tenths? I guess two :)

9. Tran says:

I expected to see The McCarthys go down in the next few episodes but I predict that the upcoming season of Mike & Molly should fill the void in the 9:30 p.m. Thursday night time slot.

10. Jack R says:

Are my wife and I the only ones watching this show that think the entire Fitz/Olivia thing is not only sad and sickening at this point but slowly killing the show? A smart, charismatic, intelligent woman is repeatedly hung up on a world class, self absorbed a-hole. It’s not only one of the bigger cliche’s you could write for a female character, it once again has Shondaland sending the wrong message to women. Because it doesn’t matter how strong or successful Olivia is, as long as she’s relenting to a self destructive man child, she’s really just another abused housewife who won’t leave for a healthier relationship.. On the larger narrative, we’re just rehashing last season under different circumstances. They took Control down already last season.. Now they have to take him down again… Or he’ll burn them all again and come out on top. Again. We’ve been here.

11. Dani says:

If Elementary only premiered as early as other fall shows, it wouldn’t have lost its viewers to HTGAWM.

• Boiler says:

Wonder if CBS regrets the football strategy. Thursday ratings don’t seem as good except for TBBT. Football gets better ratings but also costs CBS a lot more for rights.

• Boiler says:

Also, hopefully they will bounce back when ABC shows go on hiatus. One positive from football SHOULD be fewer reruns.

12. Liz says:

I’m still not sure about Elementary. I loved season one, and was feeling okay about season 2 up until about the last 3-4 episodes. I don’t know what to make of kitty…she feels so petulant in her interactions with everyone. I don’t want Sherlock/Watson as a “ship” but I do want them to be partners. The whole dynamic just feels off….and was anyone else hoping for a Watson/bell pairing?

• BrittBrat says:

I liked season 1, thought season 2 was boring, and think season 3 is a lot better. I don’t care for Kitty so much, but I think that’s the point of her character so far. Maybe she’ll come around. I also have never shipped Bell and Watson.

13. kmw says:

That’s good news for Bones considering Greys Anatomy came back. Also good especially since Booth and Brennan had no scenes until end of show. Once again good case, not enough Booth and Brennan together. Hopefully we will get more partner scenes with them.

• July Lark says:

Yes, please, some FBI scenes between B&B, tired of seeing Booth make pancakes and serve Brennan liquor and Brennan in the lab almost exclusively is just boring.