Chasing Life Renewed for Season 2

WINNER: Chasing Life (ABC Family)
ABC Family's heartwarming — though, at times, heartbreaking — drama is just what the doctor ordered.

Finally, some good news for April Carver!

ABC Family on Thursday announced that Chasing Life has been renewed for a second season.

RELATED Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The drama stars Italia Ricci as April, a 24-year-old journalist who discovers she has leukemia. Her family — mom Sara (Mary Page Keller), sister Brenna (Haley Ramm), grandmother Emma (Rebecca Schull) and uncle George (Steven Weber) — are her support system, in addition to best friend Beth (Aisha Dee).

And don’t even get us started on the boys (pictured above) in April’s life.

RELATED Chasing Life EP Talks [Spoiler]’s Fate, April’s Christmas Surprise and More

Chasing Life also has an upcoming Christmas special airing Tuesday, Dec. 9, at 9/8c.

What are you hoping to see in Chasing Life‘s second season? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. wrstlgirl says:

I was hoping so this is good news.

2. CourtTV says:

This news has made me happy!

3. Alyse says:

Yay! I love this show and was hoping it would get a second season. I hope Leo will be in the second season

4. Bryce says:

Whoa! I’m shocked but glad. I’m just hoping S2 piques my interest a little more. I care about April, but her journey so far has been a bit boring.

• Nancy says:

I read season 2 will focus more on the other characters now that April’s cancer has been revealed and so on. I want to know more about Dominic. There has to be a reason he freaked out over her and Leo. I read an interview from the actor and he said Dominic has been lied to before. So I am interested in that. I like Leo but I think they are going to kill him off. He serves no purpose really. He is a spoiled rich boy.

• Leslie Solis says:

I kinda wonder what’s up with some of the others, too, though some of it’s going to come in season 1B. We definitely haven’t seen the last of Natalie. Still sticking by the bone marrow donor theory. Really the only thing that makes sense for the character to me. And Italia Ricci said something life-or-death is coming for April. my money’s on a relapse, necessitating the transplant.

And I think there’s something more to George, too. They’ve never really fully explained why he was estranged, and then there’s all the business between him and Sara. I’ve seen it thrown out there that he could actually be April’s biological father, which might be a bit far-fetched, but interesting! Maybe Sara had an affair with him, producing April. Then Thomas’ affair that produced Natalie could’ve been a revenge sort of thing, maybe? I mean, George DID seem to get awfully invested all of a sudden when he found out April was sick. And there’s also the fact that Sara aparently knew all about Thomas’ affair and about him having another daughter, but they never split, so…*SHRUGS*

• Jenna says:

Based on how they’ve set up characters of Sara and George, there’s no possibility of them having had an affair that resulted not only in an offspring, but the hiding of it. Wanting the show to suggest Sara’deserves’ to having been cheated on suggests internalized-misogyny and that’s disappointing: the show does a good job of not demonizing people –esp. women which is the lazy, go-to for American shows. (However, they’re pretty bad with female characters that don’t fit into their box what women ought to be like, which is disheartening, but hopefully, they’ll learn and be better at it.)

“there’s also the fact that Sara aparently knew all about Thomas’ affair and about him having another daughter, but they never split”
          No, she found out about it *after* he died.

• paige_04 says:

Leo is the freaking best!!!!!!!!!!😍💕

5. Joey Padron says:

So happy the show is coming back for season 2!

6. Kate says:

Well, phew, a relief after yesterday’s news about Witches of East End. As he is being underutilised on OUAT, I hope Leo survives (I presume he was inspired by April and the possibility of that relationship, I think this is the only ship that I have a huge stake in and I really like Dominic but…, I figure he was undergoing the surgery and that’s why his parents were only in serious listening mode versus his father breaking down and crying which is what I think would be his reaction).

7. Sparky says:

Love this show.

8. Nate says:

What! ?!?! Finally ABC Family does something right

9. Danielle H says:

YESSSSS.. love this show and miss it at the moment with the subpar fall tv that’s going on right now for the most part!

• Ally Oop says:

I agree about the subpar fall tv when it comes to the new shows. Only Jane the Virgin, Strange Empire, Selfie and A to Z are keepers for me with A to Z already cancelled and only Jane looking like it has a shot of renewal. Here’s to hoping that some of the new midseason shows will get traction–the 14 I’ll be checking out are Texas Rising, American Crime, Secrets & Lies, Fresh off the Boat, The Royals, Wayward Pines, Schitt’s Creek, Allegiance, Astronauts Wives Club, Members Only, Battle Creek, Odyssey, Killjoys and Empire.

10. Ally Oop says:

Yay. One of the best shows to debut in the summer this year (along with Outlander and Finding Carter–this past summer turned out to be really great which isn’t par for the course). The best-written love triangles are the ones where both options seem good and the drama in the show and the issues that are dealt with make this the best show on ABC Family. I was really worried this wasn’t coming back.

11. c-mo says:

Crazy! I was just thinking about this show today and wondering when we’d hear. This is fantastic news and I’m looking forward to seeing what the writers put April and the boys through next!

12. But, season one is not over yet, right?

13. Jacqi says:

Awesome! Just hope Leo is back too!!!!

14. Dee says:

I am hoping to see Leo in the 2nd season….

15. Leslie Solis says:

On the one hand, I’m ridiculously happy about this! Probably by episode three, “Chasing Life” had become one of my favorites, and I was hooked all summer! It’s really nice to finally see something out there that’s so meaningful and that’s become so special to so many people, as opposed to a lot of the pure crap that’s out there now. Just check out the reactions from the real life cancer community and you’ll see they’ve done something right with “Chasing Life”. And the cast? Incredible! Particularly Italia Ricci. Not only has she proven herself incredibly talented, but she’s stepped up to the plate and become such an advocate for the cancer community, and been nothing but gracious and accessible to anyone who’d like to tell her their story of how the show has touched them. She’s amazing, plain and simple.

But one the other hand, I hear it was only a 13-episode order. Uh oh! They already had me nervous waiting as long as they did to renew at all, and, while I’m so happy they did, a shorter season doesn’t sound good to me. Unless they extend the order later to a full 20 episodes, I’m a little afraid that season two is going to just be about tying up the loose ends in April’s story and wrapping things up before they give the show the axe!

• Nancy says:

I heard that too but then I read that that they had not determined the order # yet. So I don’t know But remember season one originally only got 13 but then got 7 more.

• Nancy says:

I asked Patrick Sean Smith and he said that they will know by January if they will get more episodes for season 2. Season one was originally only 13 episodes too but it got more before it even aired.

16. Louise says:

So excited about this news. This show became very close to my heart, as I’m sure it did for many other people. Great work on the renewal and here’s hoping Leo is in season 2, as he is also very close to my heart!! ;)

17. greg goodman says:

Glad its back hope to see more of brennas friend Dylan Gelula in second season!

18. AbcFan says:

I love Leo. I don’t think he is a spoiled rich boy. He is living life to the fullest knowing he doesn’t have a lot of time left and him, unlike others, has the money to do so. I think Leo gives April hope and a positive attitude towards having cancer. That its not all bad and can be a good thing in a bad situation. I would really hate the show if Leo was killed off. Not a fan of Dom, sorry. I feel the show would be VERY boring without Leo bringing in all the drama and mysteries…. I would like to see April going big or going home this second season. :) love the show, keep it up producers and keep it on tv abc family. Lots of love. <3

19. Tonna Gillin... Windber pa says:

I’m so glad they approved a second season ..I hate when they cancel a good show the first year when the ratings are low..I missed a lot of the shows that I love first season lol..Greys anatomy I didn’t each till like the third of fourth season..and so many others also..

20. Cathy says:

I’m so glad this was picked up for a 2nd season. I love the characters on this show. It’s a little bit of everything: funny, romantic, heartwarming, touching all rolled into one fabulous series. When will it air continuously after the December 9th Christmas special??

21. Katie says:

Please keep chasing life going. I was diagnosed with cancer and this show has helped me through all my struggles telling my family and friends.

22. Felishia says:

Yay I’m so excited for season 2!!!

23. Maral Ap says:

it’s a great news
    i was looking forward to it
    i can’t wait any longer

24. dali says:

I want a season 2 like now!!!

• Cathy says:

I would like to see April and Dominic reunite but after Dominic admits he was a jerk for dumping her in the hospital. I don’t like her with Leo.

25. Wendy says:

Yeah!!! Love this show and what I’m hoping for is a story with her and Leo I pray he makes it!!! I love them two together just saying :)

26. junie B says:

Great show! I know two young people who had Leukemia and are cancer free!!!!

27. 5654funny says:

The Chasing Life raitings are not looking good. I have to watch Chasing Life The Fosters SAB And PLL on DVR and on Demand and the best part is i can rated them and tom aschiem is not receiving my raitings to these shows and i am so upset

28. keke says:

I love the show..In season two I’m hoping that April will have her hair back and that Leo will go in another country or somewhere else I really want April and dominic to be together because they make a perfect couple

29. keke says:

I really love the show..In season 2 I’m hoping that April will have her hair back and I hope that Leo will go in another country or someonwhere else.. I hoping that April and dominic will get back together because they make a perfect couple..

• Cathy says:

I hope and April and Dominic get back together too! I don’t like her and Leo together either. I don’t feel chemistry with them. Leo has too much drama with his parents. Dominic is sexy and was thinking about a future with April last season.

30. Megan says:

I 💗 this show

31. Lissette says:

I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THIS SHOW! ITS SO REAL. ITALIA’S PREFORMANCE IN THE FINALE WAS PHENOMINAL! SHE BROKE DOWN AND GAVE THE SCENE EVERYTHING. THE SHOW HUMANIZES CANCER AND IT REALLY IS AN OUSTANDING STORY. NOT TO MENTION THE CAST IS AMAZING. ID LOVE TO SEE BRENNA HAVE A RELATIONSHIP WITH THE BOY SHE IS MAKING A DONATION FOR AND WANT LEO AND APRIL’S LOVE TO CONQUER IT ALL. I LOVE CHASING LIFE

32. Ladedria says:

I love the show. Just started season one on Netflix a week ago, and went camping for days w/o TV and internet, andmi’m done!

Oh to see season two. Now the mom is a little judgemental to be a therapist so, you might bring in one to coach her listening skill to ask the, “what would you like” questions. She is a beautiful lady and actress and the wardrobe is wonderful!

33. Monica says:

Love this tv show!

• 5654funny says:

Chasinng Life is now on at 10pm and people need to sleep at this time if the raitings get worse abc family network and Tom Aschiem will canceled this show people dont have time to watch abc family shows on tv anymore they just go to On Demand DVR Netflixs Hulu and Online

i watch all of the abc family shows on On Demand over the weekends

reason why all of the cw shows airs at 8pm to 10pm and the abc family shows air at 8pm to 10pm

34. Jalisa says:

I want Leo and April to stay together, I want her to eventually have a baby that’s Leo’s, I think they are perfect together! EVERY show I watch they mainly ruin the couples then I stop watching it! PLEASE KEEP THEM TOGETHER!

35. Kaitlyn says:

Hey when does seizing 2 come on

36. Alana says:

I want to see April and Leo get married and I hope that season 2 comes back the ending of June with no commercials

• 5654funny says:

Chasing life is moved to 10pm and I can’t watch it on tv because I need my sleep at that time I have no idea why their moving it

Alot of people are now watching tv shows on On Demand DVR Netflixs online and Hulu

Network can’t rate shows online or on Hulu their focus is raitng programming shows On Demand DVR Netflixs

37. Cindi Fritz says:

Soon happy this is coming back for a second season. So well written and very educational. Everyone should watch!!

• 5654funny says:

Now it’s airing at 10pm that’s not good for abc family because people need their sleep at that time the raitings will get worse and might be canceled let’s hope that doesn’t happen

The only way for me is to watch it on On Demand DVR and watching it online

38. when is season 2 to b aired??

39. Just finished season 2! Love it! Want more!! Season 3???

• Leslie Solis says:

Unfortunately, no season 3. Things weren’t looking good from the time they announced a 13-episode season 2 (Rather than the usual 20 episodes), and they pulled the plug a little less than a week after the season 2 finale, But if you do a little Googling, the producer gave an interview where he laid out exactly where they’d planned to take the story if they’d gotten a third season, so we got a little more closure that way

40. Linda says: