NCIS Scoop: Jeri Ryan to Play Gibbs' 'Missing' Second Ex-Wife

NCIS Jeri Ryan

Seven of Nine is two of three.

Meaning, TVLine has learned that Jeri Ryan will fill the plum NCIS role of Leroy Jethro Gibbs’ never-before-seen second ex-wife, Rebecca, who will be introduced in a January 2015 episode of the long-running CBS drama.

NCIS showrunner Gary Glasberg first revealed to TVLine the plan to meet Gibbs’ missing ex last January, saying, “I can promise you that it is probably going to get touched on in Season 12.” Introducing the character, he effused, promises to be “[storyline] gold.”

To recap Gibbs’ wedded misses: He was first married to Shannon (played by Scandal‘s Darby Stanchfield), who, with their daughter, tragically died. Next, he wed Diane (Mad Men‘s Melinda McGraw), who is also Agent NCIS Gibbs WivesFornell’s ex. And following his marriage to Rebecca, Gibbs exchanged vows with Stephanie (The West Wing‘s Kathleen York).

The parade of redheads even fueled an in-episode walk-through (right).

Of the character’s ultimate casting, Glasberg says in a statement: “After 12 seasons there was still one ex-wife to cast opposite Gibbs and we found her in the beautiful and talented Jeri Ryan. We’re all very excited to have Jeri join us for a storyline that’s chock full of surprises.”

Ryan’s TV credits include Star Trek: Voyager, Boston Public, Shark, Leverage, Body of Proof and, most recently, Major Crimes and Helix.

NCIS resumes airing Season 12 Tuesday at 8/7c.

1. I can’t wait to see what Gibbs saw in his second wife and why the marriage didn’t work. Jeri Ryan look too hot to have a bad marriage.

• maria says:

Have you looked around Hollywood? Plenty of beautiful people with bad marriages…

• Allie says:

Her looks are not the problem. This marriage failed like all 3 marriages failed: his heart was just not into it, he was looking for what he had with Shannon and trying to recreate it. Plus the Boone was taking its toll on Gibbs and she bailed when it looked impossible to stay together when the other is hunting that kind of monster.

2. Darlene says:

“Seven of Nine is two of three” – I saw what you did there, Matt. Love it!
    Well, this should be interesting. Looking fwd to that storyline.

• Al says:

It should be 2 of four…the man was four times:1 time widow and 3 time divorcee. I guess it took a long time for him to realize he would always love Shannon and no woman alive could take her place in his heart. At least he cared for his ex-wives, even if they may have disliked him to their core.

3. Daniel says:

Cool! Love Jeri Ryan in every show she’s done–question is–will she be a redhead for this role?

4. Amanda says:

Well NCIS, it was good while it lasted! Whenever Ms. Ryan gets on a show, it has to become “all about her character” and that’s when the ratings tank! Anyone remember Leverage, Shark, Body of Proof? All shows that she was supposedly suppose to “guest star” or take a “supporting role” and within two episodes, she was getting her own storyline arc. And all the shows were cancelled within the year…….crossed-fingers that she’s an “one and done” with NCIS!

• Andrew Hass says:

I don’t think that will happen with NCIS.Her character might only be only on one episode for now and with the possibility of returning again later.Plus it could be interesting to find out why Jeri’s character and Gibbs broke up.It could turn out their divorce was different then Gibbs’ other 2 divorces.

• Allie says:

It really depends on just how bad the divorce went through. Maybe, like Diane, she felt that she was being seen as Shannon, not for being Rebecca. A human antidepressant. We will just have to wait and see.It’s still another two months away. Don’t forget to show your love for NCIS at peopleschoice.com and vote NCIS for favorite tv show, favorite tv crime drama and tv icon Mark Harmon. Thank you.

• daphne says:

i still think my theory that she had a son by gibbs she did not tell him about who is a marine cadet that would be great

• She was appeared in 7 episodes of S2 for Leverage, the show lasted 5 seasons, She was in every episode of Body of Proof because she was co-staring, that show lasted 3 seasons. She was the main female lead in Shark, it only lasted 2 seasons mainly because it was no good. But you know, you should never let facts stand in your way of a good story

• Kathie says:

Jeri’s role in Leverage was always planned as temporary because she took Sophie’s place on the team while Gina Bellman was on maternity leave in real life. Jeri did a great job. Loved her in Body of Proof, another of my favorites that was cancelled, along with Leverage.
        I watched Shark, but must be having a Senior Moment, not placing her.
        However, the daughter, Danielle Panabaker, is popping up all over TV!
        As far as the age difference goes, Mark is a young-looking 63 (despite the silver hair) and do you think any of the previous wives that we’ve seen look too young for him? Shannon flashbacks obviously show her looking young. (Love Darby’s recurring character as Castle’s 1st wife, Alexis’ mom– the deep-fried Twinkie, lol)
        Diane and Steffanie both look well under 60 and nobody has complained about them. I think it’s a scream that Diane and Fornell are back together. The episode that dealt with that was the series’ funniest episode, ever.
        Love NCIS and will always be a fan.

5. karen1228 says:

That’s fantastic news! I think Jeri will be the perfect foil for Gibbs! Can’t wait for this storyline!

6. Julie merritt says:

Will be good. Love NCIS,love the cast.

7. JC1 says:

Awesome! She’s one of my favorite actresses.

8. Jenna says:

I adore Jeri Ryan. Wish she would get a lead role in a good show. She was the only reason I watched Body of Proof.

9. skrable2 says:

Such a missed opportunity. Should have been Pam Dawber

10. Gregory Greene says:

Crazy about Jeri Ryan, glad to see she landed on an excellent show after Body of Proof which was good also, can’t wait for Jan. 2015.

11. Lore says:

Diane is no longer an ex, well at least they are back, not married yet, but back together, so is she an ex? or not?

• Dean says:

She was married to gibbs at one point so yeah she’s an ex and she’s getting back together with Fornell.

• Allie says:

Hopefully, Tobias will not be so eager to open a joint account with Diane again, in case she empties it like she did during their first time being married.

12. cal2422 says:

I would love to see more episodes with Michael Weatherly in the storyline. Also it would be great to see Robert Wagner in a storyline with Tony.

13. kath says:

That will be fun. She also played Pete’s ex-wife on Warehouse 13.

14. lame says:

That is freak”n gteat! This should be outstanding!!!

15. suzanne says:

I wish you would bring back ZIVA now

• Guest(Real name will be revealed when I say so) says:

@suzanne (in MY angry voice) What part of Cote left on her own terms did you not understand?! I wish you would start living in reality and GET OVER IT! And that goes for every Ziva fan too!

• kath says:

We all know Ziva’s gone. That doesn’t mean we didn’t like the show more when she was on it.

Ziva was the peppercorn, now what remains is the white bread.

• Reilly M. says:

That’s your opinion. I have enjoyed NCIS from day one–however, I am mature enough to realize when Cote chose to leave that was indeed her choice–what I don’t understand is making snide comments about the show and the remaining cast. Remember, it was “the peppercorn” to quote you, who made the change–NOT the show. NCIS has an excellent cast and to degrade them as “white bread”, is totally insulting and demeaning. SMDH

• kath says:

I know who made the decision.
            Everyone has different tastes. I don’t watch the first two seasons of NCIS because I thought they were boring, and I only occasionally look in now because the remaining cast is so similar to each other. I know Leon is African-American but take that away, and he’s just like Ducky or Gibbs or McGee, and I always thought Ziva was what made Tony interesting. There’s no diversity in the cast in terms of characteristics.

• Reilly M. says:

Says you. Each cast member has different characteristics in their place in the show. You want to minimize them because “Ziva”, is your end all to be all–that’s your choice. However, not everyone agrees with you and I find plenty of diversity when I watch the show. You only see what you want to see–but, putting the others down is still insulting. Funny, if I find a show “boring”, or have to nit-pick everything I can find to demean a show–I don’t watch it. See? Super simple. I certainly don’t put myself through the agony of watching something I find boring–or insult a show other people do like–that’s rude.

• Sarah says:

Totally agree. Bishop needs to go – she is bringing down the rest of a great cast.

16. mary says:

In real life Harmon is 63 and Ryan is 46. I will suspend disbelief for the show, but yeah, I wish Pam Dawber put on a red wig and played the role!

• Keith says:

The Gibbs character just entered the Marines in 1976… So let’s say he was 18 then…so Gibbs would be 56 today… Plausible…

17. tdelp says:

I love Jeri Ryan This pairing should be incredible

18. Liv says:

Hm, not sure how I feel about this. I stopped watching in season 11 and from what I’ve been hearing it sounds like they’ve been trying to scramble together new storylines to keep the show running. Wonder when Glasberg and Co. will decide to pull the plug. Obviously won’t happen until Mark Harmon approves (obviously).

NCIS was good while it lasted. All good things must come to an end sometime.

• JC1 says:

I started watching again in season 11 (I decided to forgo the “season of Tiva”) and I’m really enjoying it, more even than I did for a couple of years before I stopped watching. Each to their own.

• canadian ninja says:

Scrambling for storylines and the season of tiva? You two are both watching the show in your own mind.
        NCIS shows a dead body with some navy connection, a goup of detectives investigate and in the end the murderer turns out to be one of the first two or three people the detectives talked to. Old people are stoic and infallible – young people are stupid and only likable if they seek the wisdom of Gibbs. Buy Metamucil.

• kath says:

LOL. You’ve nailed it.

• kath says:

You forgot — the CIA is always bad, intelligence agencies from other countries always try to screw you, and the FBI gets in the way.

• JC1 says:

Seriously? I was referring (sarcastically) to the marketing/promotion of season ten as the “season of Tiva”. I am not sure what prompted the rest of your comment. Are we not allowed to enjoy the show now or something?

• Jake says:

Exactly, well written. I stopped watching years ago when Tony was still getting hit in the back of the head and acting like a frat boy. No character development allowed, the geriatrics don’t like it..

• Mandy says:

Hmmm, well I guess being even remotely logical isn’t for you is it? If you stopped watching “years ago”, how in Hell do you know if there was or wasn’t any character development “allowed”? As far as “geriatics”, WTF? Did you mean, “geriatrics”? If you can’t even spell the word, do you even know it’s meaning? What are you talking about? I so love the smell of sour grapes, when stupid comments are made. Is the above “Buy Metamucil” comment and your stupid attempt at misspelling suppose to infer only “old” people watch NCIS? I’m 28, as are most of my friends. My parents, who also watch, are still in their forties, so just what lame attempt are you trying to make? Either way, massive fail in all areas……….

19. Stephanie says:

Holy age gap, Batman. She’s in her 40s and Mark Harmon is in his 60s….

20. So sick of Gibbs and the ex wives. People say Ziva was a soap opera..I disagree GIBBS is the soap opera.

21. Mary Morris says:

War.n’t Ms. Ryan on Ugly Betty?

22. I loved Jeri Ryan in Star Trek, she will probably do well on NCIS as a guest star, but no one wants or expects Gibbs to have a serious relationship openly, that takes all the mystery away from his character. Gary Glasberg is ruining NCIS by bringing all these women in to try to fill a gap that no one can fill but Cote De Pablo.

• The producer should try to get back Cote as a regular again.

• Jerri says:

Why must every female character Glassberg brings onto the show be a replacement/gap filler for Cote dePablo?! It’s not like Cote is the ONLY woman on the planet. She left the show on her own accord because she wanted to do other things, let it go already. The world of NCIS does not revolve around Ziva. NCIS was there before Ziva, it’s still there after Ziva.

• Reilly M. says:

Thank you! Very well said. I seriously do not understand the constant cries to bring back an actor who wanted to leave the show. Go whine at Cote to return–she’s the one who chose to leave.

23. daphne says:

whats the betting that gibbs second wife had a son by gibbs she did not tell him about a marine!

24. Arlene says:

Are They going to bring Abby’s brother back in NCIS. We saw him the last time when they finally connected together. I wish they would bring him back for a least one episode. thank you

25. I literally felt a chill run up and down my body! I can’t wait to see Jeri in one of my TV shows again!

26. Great news of Jeri Ryan joining NCIS as Gibbs ex- Wife. If And When is Cote De Pablo coming back as Ziva please.

27. Bring back Cote de Pablo. Ziva we love an miss you .

• Al says:

She said she wouldn’t pass an offer but she wanted more opportunities for different characters and backgrounds to grow as an actor.

28. Shannon says:

I think she’ll be a great Gibbs-ex. I don’t watch her other shows though, except for a few star trek episodes, so I won’t be biased based on them. Now why bring up Ziva? I loved the character, cried when she left, but it’s over and done (hopefully). This article is about Jeri Ryan’s role.

29. Al says:

Gibbs,being himself, was still depressed about Shannon and Kelly being taken away. Perhaps Diane didn’t quite ‘fit’ to what he was used to with Shannon and this Rebecca may have for a short time before the Boone case took its toll on their marriage. This will be an odd place to put it, but the 2015 People’s choice award nominations are up and it’s time to vote for NCIS. If you are a fan, show your love for Team Gibbs and vote, please.

30. suzanne says:

IT’S about time they bring back ZIVA the show is not the same since she left please bring her back.

31. Machelo says:

Jeri Ryan is death to a show… first of all she’s too young to play a serious partner to Gibbs. Who picks this crap? of all the lovely redheads who are age appropriate this is what you come up with? Hey she could just start dating the producer like she did on Star Trek Voyager? her then walk on roll became permanent or at least till she stopped seeing the producer.

• ldm says:

Agree with Mecheto. No more women for Gibbs. He still loves Shannon. One never forgets their first love. Bring Ziva back with a new storyline.

32. Suji Jones says:

Okay, so who’s the redhead in the mercedes???

• kath says:

That’s a girlfriend, not a wife.

I read that she was played by Donald Bellisario’s real-life wife, Sean Murray’s mother.

33. So now, will she be called “Second of Four” instead of Seven of Nine?