Once Upon a Time: Has This Dracula Actress Been Cast as Cruella De Vil?

Once Upon a Time Cruella De Vil

The residents of Once Upon a Time‘s Storybrooke may want to hide their dogs.

Dracula alumna Victoria Smurfit is set to recur on the ABC drama as an “iconic character,” EW.com reports.

The details of the role, which will first be teased in the winter finale, are being kept under wraps, but we’ve uncovered some early (possible) clues.

Given the boastful description and Smurfit’s striking looks — not to mention a fan report that Emilie de Ravin was filming a scene with a dalmatian on Monday — we’re placing our bets on the actress playing villainess Cruella de Vil. Plus, at last year’s New York Comic-Con, the show bosses listed Cruella (as well as Rapunzel, who has since appeared in a Fairytale Land flashback) among the characters they hoped to tackle.

UPDATE: And then there is this Tuesday night tweet, from Smurfit herself:

Series cocreator Eddy Kitsis previously told TVLine of the Season 4B arc, “The seeds are planted in the first 10 [episodes], so that when you see [the fall finale reveal] in 11 you go, ‘Ah, OK.’”

Once Upon a Time fans, what’s your theory on Smurfit’s iconic persona?

1. mariangela says:

Ahhh 101 Dalmatians is my favorite movie as a Kid!!! And Cruella is AMAZING!!!

2. ninamags says:

“A Dalmatian Plantation!”

“Pongo! You silly ole thing!”

I love that movie. i really liked Victoria’s character in Dracula as well. Looking forward to this.

3. Anthony says:

Well, if it is Cruella she’s playing, at least the folks who have been complaining that the show is just cashing in on current Disney movie hits (Frozen and Malificent) will get the break they’ve been asking for.

• Zorkel says:

Of course, 101 Dalmations is the next Disney Diamond release…

• Marianne says:

the thing is, Maleficent isn’t new to Once. She was on previously…Sleeping Beauty is old school Disney. I think people just like to complain. The only reason why they haven’t had more of Maleficent is because the actress was tied up with True Blood.

4. wrstlgirl says:

This news just might bring me back.

5. Cruella as a villain is beneath all previous villains, who were magical powerhouses.

6. MDS says:

Not sure what they could do with Cruella …. I don’t think they can turn her into a compelling villian

7. Dennis says:

Really guys? In the animated movie she was fun to watch AND she was terrifying!! Don’t you remember that last scene of her in the car with her eyes all red and crazed before she goes off the cliff (or something like that… Also didn’t see any sequals so I don’t know what became of her haha).

She is a nutjob, and I can’t wait to see this character come to life!!! Love Cruella and this will make me come and watch again!!

8. abz says:

I don’t know who she is and I don’t care. I’ve been waiting for them to do Cruella for so long. One of my favourite villains. If she really is playing Cruella, I’m so excited to find out what twist they’ll be putting on the character.

9. Mason says:

Well this should be fun, wonder how she’ll be portrayed,

Could be fun if she was part of helpin Operation Mongoose, yet how will Pongo react to her arrival.

10. Jaime says:

Not Pongo! Archie, protect your dog!

11. Jackie says:

Can’t remember….isn’t Archie/ Jiminy Cricket’s dog a Dalmatian?

12. Ice says:

She just confirmed on Twitter that she is in fact playing Cruella https://twitter.com/VictoriaSmurfit/status/529824405174886400

13. JC1 says:

It looks like the actress has confirmed on Twitter that she is indeed playing Cruella.

• Mason says:

No way?! That’s great, hope they don’t change her personality too much, most likely we’ll still see the fashion side of her while they bring somethin new.

*crosses fingers* let’s hope she’s not (family wise) connected to any of the main cast except for past encounters

• Dennis says:

LOL I wonder if she was allowed to say, considering it was supposed to be “teased” in the winter finale

14. Ray says:

Great casting choice!

15. no where in these 4a eps we have seen so far have there been hints about cruella or 101 dalmations plots… but what there has been however is the Sorcerer’s Apprentice and Regina’s search for the author of the storybook! She’s probably playing someone connected to the AUTHOR! Not cruella!

16. zagsfan says:

I’m getting burned out on these theme arcs.

17. MattySi. says:

Archie is the owner of Pongo so it will be great to see something involving the two of them if this Cruella theory is actually true.

They’ve done the whole learning magic thing multiple times so I doubt they’d do it again but it will be interesting to see how Cruella is brought in and whether she’s the 4B villain or just someone that shows up here and there.

18. Cruella to me seems too big for a small town like Storybrooke. She’s supposed to be a big city magnate, like the Glenn Close version, which is the more recent iteration. Also, she’s waaaay out of place in the Fairytale land that was. Surely she must hail from one of the other worlds, like Frankenstein , since 101 Dalmatians doesn’t qualify as a Fairytale.

How would Cruella have even travelled from whichever land she hails from (which would have to mirror our own in the present day) in order to be swept up into the curse? Same goes for Pongo. Like, did Cruella chase the dalmatians across worlds to catch them? Where are the other puppies? Did she get them and only Pongo survived?

19. Christian says:

Amazing actress check out Brit detective show Trial and Retribution. She was lead actress for 6 seasons.

20. Dylan says:

I think she might be the other sister of the snow queen and when they where girls they were playing outside and they where transported to our world by magic bean. Hence how the snow queen ended up in our world and cruella has come to storybrooke to either seek revenge for her sister or just to get her sister back.

21. rachelle says:

Uhhhhh yes, please.

22. ivory says:

Cruella’s hair is half-white… Maybe she is somehow the third sister and her hair is white because ingrid froze her accidentally when they were children like elsa did to anna?

23. Donna MaMa says:

and everyone thought that Malificent was going to be the 3rd sister, now wondering if we will see even see Malificent – – – and Belle’s mom, just 2 minutes and that’s it??

24. Jared says:

I can’t get into the Frozen storyline so I stopped watching but ill pick OUAT back up when it comes back after the winter hiatus. Cruella sounds like a cool character to play with. Can’t wait to see.

25. Jake says:

Really liked Victoria in Dracula, so that’s why I’m interested. Can’t see how CD can be a worthwhile villain, though.

26. Cory says:

Cruella De Ville,
    Cruella De Ville,
    If she doesn’t scare you, no evil thing will…

27. John says:

I just hope Cruella is murdering puppies on OUAT! She probably wil… So sad!

28. Tai says:

Whenever I want to quit this show, they do something to pull me back in. Emma connecting with her family and her magic. Bringing back Ashley Boyd and Sidney Glass. And now this! I LOVED Victoria Smurfit on Dracula!

29. Deana says:

Isn’t it obvious Cruella’s a villain and what do all villains want? Is to destroy the heroes so the thing she had in the winter finale shows heroes weakness’ and she said ‘this shows a heroes weakness’ and then we will be the victors’ because as she said the game is rigged and the villains never win