Ratings: ABC Dramas and Madam Sec'y Rise, Good Wife Dips, Mulaney Drops

KYLE SECOR, KURTWOOD SMITH, LANDON GIMENEZ

ABC’s Sunday line-up rebounded this week, with all three dramas registering small upticks.

Opening the night, Once Upon a Time drew 7.5 million total viewers and a 2.6 demo rating (per finals), up 8 percent and two tenths. Resurrection (5 mil/1.4) improved 11 and 17 percent on last week’s lows, while Revenge (4.7 mil/1.2) inched up 9 percent and a tenth.

Elsewhere….

CBS | Madam Secretary (13.2 mil/1.8) scored best-since-premiere numbers (up 13 and 20 percent week-to-week), while The Good Wife (10.5 mil/1.4) dipped a tenth.

NBC | Sunday Night Football (18.6 mil/6.7) is down 6 percent in the demo from last week’s finals.

FOX | Bob’s Burgers (2.7 mil/1.5) matched its last outing, while The Simpsons (4.2 mil/2.0) and Brooklyn Nine-Nine (3.4 mil/1.7) were on par with their previous non-NFL-boosted episodes. Leading out of a Family Guy rerun (2.5 mil/1.2), Mulaney (1.6 mil/0.7) fell 30 percent.

1. Robby Horine says:

Instead of cutting of CSI, why doesn’t CBS put 60 minutes on the shelf when they have the National NFL game?

2. BrittBrat says:

IMO, Revenge, OUAT, and The Good Wife were really good last night.

3. ... says:

Interesting that B99 is about on the level of 7:30 Bob’s Burgers when it has the Simpsons lead-in.

• mary says:

I love Brooklyn 99, its the only show I watch outside of Mindy Project anymore but lets be honest its ratings are completely do to the lead in and not the show (which I think is fantastic). If Brooklyn 99 had stayed on Tuesday it would be getting low ratings too. I am thrilled its doing well but I am not going to pretend its not because it has Fox’s strongest lead in.

4. Tran says:

Can’t believe TGW went down because of David Hyde Pierce’s guest starring role.

• rowan77 says:

Wait, you can’t believe people didn’t want to watch David Hyde Pierce or you can’t believe more people didn’t watch, what with David Hyde Pierce on the show?

• Tran says:

What’s with you and your “conspiracy theories”. Try not to get mad at me ’cause it hurts my feelings.

• rowan77 says:

@tran, I wasn’t even thinking about conspiracy theories (not sure why you think I do – I think they’re rather dumb). I was making a comment on your poorly constructed sentence. I’m no conspiracy theorist – I’m a grammar nazi.

5. Moment says:

I can see Brooklyn Nine Nine being moved next season, and then finishing on Friday for its 4th season. I can see Bordertown being a hit for the network on Sundays in the Spring.

6. thisismenow says:

How much longer until Mulaney is put out of its misery?

• Ron says:

Who knows? Fox waited an absurdly long amount of time before finally calling quits on the painfully awful Utopia, so I’m not sure what’s going on with them anymore.

7. Nan says:

I’m obviously not enjoying the storyline on the Good Wife as much as others and I believe this is why there is a dip in the numbers. The go around with the Cary Agos storyline every time they turn around are being thwarted, Alicia running for State’s Attorney…I don’t buy into that and I don’t really like it…plus I find that whole storyline unbelievable…it doesn’t ring true for me. Still one of the best shows on TV but wrap up these storylines and don’t drag them out….because they end up being BORING and just long winded!

• Coal says:

I think TGW is trying be more serialized this season with all their story arcs and I agree its getting tiresome especially this Cary thing, because it just not gaining any momentum. I think this whole States Attorney/ Bishop storyline would have worked better if it was at the back end of the season.

• Jimmy says:

I’m with you. I’m bored with the election storyline and wish they never would have gone down that road. The Cary storyline is also dragging on far too long.

8. Coal says:

1.8 for Madam Sec ? Wow. I watch the show and I like it, but surely its going to be adjusted down ?

9. Missy Kelly says:

Good Wife is very good although, I am getting bored with the Cary in trouble storyline. It seems to me that Cary is better being the aggressor not the victim and although interesting, it’s time for Cary, Alicia, & Diane to start being the kick ass attys we know they are and put Alicia’s competition out!

• rowan77 says:

I was hoping Cary would be more proactive in his storyline. I feel like he’s a spectator in his own case, as if they don’t know what to do with his character. Cary’s a really good lawyer, lets see him be active in his defense strategy and in other cases.

10. Jack says:

You failed to mention that this is the second week in a row that CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATIONS was preempted.

11. jinx2014 says:

I don’t know if anyone checks the credits on The Good Wife because Alicia/Margaliae(?), is now in charge of what happens on the show. . She didn’t like that Archie/Kalinda got an award and was so liked by everyone that she had the writers write her out. She will not be in Season 5. I agree with everyone, that the story lines are getting boring. Need more interesting cases and have Alica back as an Atty. Her running for office was her idea. Would rather see Cary wrap up this silly drama and be back in the office.

• Jonathan Lighthill says:

Jinx2014. I don’t know if you are right about this. I don’t believe Juliana Marguelies as one of the producers is in charge of the show. I am sure she has a strong influence though. And you say she didn’t like Archie Panjabi getting an award. We that was around 5 years or so ago. Juliana won an emmy only recently. I I can’t believe she got her written out because Archie was popular with people. Sounds ridiculous to me. Some of what you say could be true. But I prefer to think that there were other reasons.

• jm says:

Kalinda was more likely than her character.
        I think everyone is better than Alicia.
        It comes from a character you did care to a character you now despite.
        Maybe cause the actress is a …. “insert not nice word here”

• jinx2014 says:

Johathan, trust me this is very true. I have a good friend whose sister was on the production team of Sleepy Hollow and she did confirm, also told me when a star is on the production team, they carry lots of weight on suggestions. Archie has already found another job, at least she is in the running and I hope she gets it.

12. eric says:

Thought it was funny how the staff called the character M’SEC… hope this nickname catches on. Catchier than Madam Sec’y from the article headline

13. Susan says:

I am extremely angry with CBS for not showing CSI for the last 2 weeks. Why don’t they not show 60 minutes. All they care about is football and they other shows just have suffer and so do we. Enough is enough….I have so many shows I like on CBS but they are really ticking me off. They used to do the same thing when Unforgettable was on Sunday night. No wonder it got cancelled. SHAME ON YOU CBS!!!