DWTS Week 8 Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

DWTS-results-recap-michael-waltrip-eliminated

With no clear Mirrorball frontrunner yet in sight, Week 8 of Dancing With the Stars featured the final seven couples hitting the ballroom floor as famous “Dynamic Duos” — think dancing versions of Romeo and Juliet, Tarzan and Jane, Lucy and Ricky, etc. — before we braced for the latest shocking (or inevitable?) elimination.

But wait, tonight’s live show also showcased the return of the nerve-wracking “Immunity Challenge,” which saw the night’s top scorer get freed from the possibility of elimination, while the rest competed in an all-or-nothing dance-off for crucial extra judges’ points.

Let’s high-kick right to the highlights:

DANCE OF THE NIGHT: Janel Parrish and pro Val Chmerkovskiy | This passion-infused, luscious, Romeo and Juliet-themed contemporary piece dazzled the ballroom and the judges. Bruno Tonioli was eloquently impressed, calling the performance, “Extremely ambitious, yet gorgeous and glorious in every possible way.” Len Goodman simply gushed, “I knew you were a good dancer, but tonight you’ve shown me that you’re a great dancer,” while Julianne Hough perhaps said it best in just a single word: “Breathtaking.” Nothing but 10s here, people!

RUNNER-UP DANCE OF THE NIGHT: Alfonso Ribeiro and pro Witney Carson | Holy cha cha, Batman! Alfonso’s highly entertaining, energy-infused performance KA-POW!’d the judges, as Julianne called it “pure entertainment… I wanted to dance with you on that floor!” while Bruno could barely contain himself: “You’ve got to be the hottest Robin I’ve ever, ever, ever seen,” he said of Witney. The dance earned a pair of perfect 10s and a couple of 9s from Julianne and Len.

MOST CRIMINALLY UNDERSCORED: The judges were really on their game tonight. Was even one paddle noticeably out of line?

WORST OF THE NIGHT: Michael Waltrip and pro Emma Slater | Who else, right? The judges may have mellowed their most biting criticisms this week, but lead-footed Michael’s feeble foxtrot was lucky to generate a very generous string of 6s (and a 7 from the suddenly kind-hearted Len!). “You lost your footing, you nearly fell on your butt,” said a matter-of-fact Bruno, who echoed the panel by acknowledging it was “better than last week.”

On to the results…

FINAL THREE COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”

Tommy Chong and pro Peta Meurgatroyd
Lea Thompson and pro Artem Chigvintsev
Michael Waltrip and pro Emma Slater

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Tommy Chong and pro Peta Meurgatroyd
Michael Waltrip and pro Emma Slater

ELIMINATED
Michael Waltrip and pro Emma Slater

“It was a chance to do something that was more emotional than it was physical,” said a gracious and surprisingly moved Michael of his DWTS journey, before offering a special thank you to the cast and especially to Emma. “I’m happy that I got to be here, and I’m sad I have to go.”

And with that, it’s your turn. Did the right couple really go home? Sound off in the comments!

1. About 3 or 4 weeks too late, but the right couple definitely went home.

2. Jaime says:

FINALLY. Now send Tommy home and we’ve got ourselves a real competition!

• dfancy says:

I thought this show was about stars that never danced not ones that can and gave it up I have stopped watching this because I lovewatching ppl learning to dance and the comedy of errors that happen along the way we all no who going to win and I hope I can still move like tommy chong at his age it is a show anymore it is ppl dancing ballroom wih nothing funny going on thank god sadie is still on her family is good for some comedy

3. Christine says:

That rumba was one of the most disturbing things I’ve ever seen…..

4. George Reynolds says:

Finally. Should have gone for sure last week

5. Sable Senegal says:

Just glad Michael finally got the boot, he was too painful to watch dance anymore.

• dfancy says:

I love ppl that can armchair talk about dancing try it and see how hard it is watching and doing are to different things

• jennvozik says:

I don’t mind ringers at all. Many ppl in the entertainment industry can sing, dance and act, it’s just that they get their break doing only one of them. And they’re the ones wanting to do this competition. Let them & just enjoy it! Or don’t watch & stop complaining.

6. Karmel says:

FINALLY! It’s about time!

7. John K says:

I really like DWTS and have watched every year. But this year I
    feel the voting has been fixed. I realize that the show needs to keep the star w/ the most notoriety coming back for many weeks to keep people watching. But when Antonio & Cheryl is voted off before Michael & Emma there’s a problem w/ the voting….

• CTwildheart says:

The voting isn’t fixed, but it does have some issues. I agree that Antonio was better, but he didn’t get the votes. This is also a popularity contest…otherwise there would be no voting, only the judges scores.

• chistosa says:

It’s all about the fanbase. Antonio did not have the fan base whereas Michael had the entire Nascar nation to vote for him. This show is not nor has ever been about the best dancer, it is about the one who garners the most votes. And the voting public is easily manipulated by tears, back stories and other superficial devices.

8. Tran says:

About time the right couple got eliminated on a much positive note. My money’s on Tommy to be the next to go.

9. Marisa corona says:

of course was the right couple

10. Maryann says:

It’s about time!

11. Mike says:

Finally! Michael got what should have happened weeks ago!

12. KARLIE says:

no regret. next will be Tommy. then Alfonso or Leah – so derek val and mark – all youngish —thennnn the competition begins, and the winner is DEREKKKKKKK !

13. laura says:

Micheal should have been gone sooner cant dance

14. anthony says:

No one dances worse than tommy!!!! Seriously, how is he still there??…Are people really that into the whole “stoner” thing??

• CTwildheart says:

Yes, we are. I understand that this is a dance competition, but it’s also a popularity contest. Otherwise we wouldn’t get to vote. I love watching Tommy & I’ll vote for him until he is eliminated.

15. Rusty Staub says:

Michael’s departure a Blessing. Weeks to late to give others a chance. Tommy next and get some serious competition. Dances should all be same timed length; not short /long.

16. joe c says:

Without question. While Michael appears to be a great guy, he was the correct one to leave.

17. shmrck14 says:

The remaining order of going home, if it were up to me, would be:

Tommy
    Sadie
    Leah
    Janel or Bethany – I don’t care which order, they’re very similar

Champion – Antonio (as much I don’t really want Whitney to win)

18. Alan Young says:

It’s all about a star’s fan base. That’s how a poor dancer can outlast a better dancer. Happens year after year. Michael’s was NASCAR fans. He also rode Sadie’s coattails, as she brought the southern, Duck Dynasty base. Tommy has the Cheech and Chong Baby Boomers, the Love Generation gone mainstream. Lea has the Gen X Back to the Future folks, etc.

19. Irma Longworth says:

Michael is a true gentleman but he has two left feet which work well in a race car but not on the dance floor. Kudos to him for his efforts. He made it fun.

20. norma says:

Should have gone home weeks ago!!!

21. Nick says:

I hope Alfonso or Sadie takes it home. Come on fellow Fresh Prince fans!

22. lisa says:

I still think that Michael should have went home way befor Betsy did. At least Betsy’s legs & feet moved where as Michael was as stiff as a board!!! Maybe Betsy forgot a few things, but she moved & isan’t that what dancing is all about? You have to move to the music, not just stand there.as stiff as a board. I think being a race car driver stiffened his legs up, since race car driving is really not a sport, just eye coordination that’s all.

23. Yoko says:

Why Max Shmerkorskiy who is the older brother of Val is not in this 19 sessi0n of Dancing with the Stars. Please include Max who will certainly make the show more amusing and exciting. Looking forward to Max comeback to the next year shows.

24. GLENN GUSTIN says:

YES, YES . I CAN’T BELIEVE HE WAS ABLE TO LAST THIS LONG. AS LEN WOULD SAY, “THIS IS A DANCE COMPETITION”.

25. steve says:

michel should have gone home the first night.he has 2left feet . he is as stiff as a board. The man cant dance even with instuctions.

26. CF says:

Did the right couple go? Hell yes! He should have gone 2 or 3 weeks ago.

27. Sheena says:

So I have been dancing for 20 years. I love learning new steps and dancing with fun partners. Dancing comes naturally to me. I think if it doesn’t come naturally then it’s harder. They only have a week to learn these dances and some times they have to learn two or three in a week depending on what week it is. So with that being said you can teach anyone the steps but you can’t teach them to be a natural. You either have or you don’t. Michael needed to go home long ago. I feel that his partner just danced around him and just made him stand there. Tommy can actually move but his time is limited also.