Exclusive

NBC Recast Scoop: Uma Thurman In, Mary-Louise Parker Out in The Slap

Uma Thurman The Slap

In a last-minute switch, Uma Thurman has replaced Mary-Louise Parker in NBC’s upcoming all-star miniseries The Slap, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Parker was forced to step aside due to health reasons (the actress is recovering from a bout of pneumonia).

An eight-hour take on the 2011 Australian series, The Slap is about how one man’s punishment of another couple’s child explodes into a complex family drama.

The Oscar-nominated Thurman takes over the role of Anouk, a TV writer who is dating her show’s young leading man (Gossip Girl‘s Penn Badgley).

The cast also includes Peter Sarsgaard, Zachary Quinto, Thandie Newton and Melissa George.

Jon Robin Baitz (Brothers & Sisters) will pen the project; Baitz also will executive-produce with director Lisa Chodolenko (Olive Kitteridge), Crossbones‘ Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald.

1. K says:

Love Parker, hope she gets better soon! But this is an amazing replacement. Her recent role in Nymphmaniac showcased her incredible talent. So excited!

2. Jared says:

SERIOUSLY!!!!! This sucks! I was so looking forward to MLP!

Couldn’t they postpone a little till she gets better!!!!

3. whisperintherain says:

I adore both Mary-Louise Parker and Uma Thurman. I’m sure the latter will do justice to the character of Anouk, which I for one thought was the most sympathetic of all eight protagonists as portrayed by Essie Davis in the Australian version.

4. Uma Thurman will be great and she’s a big get for NBC but I was looking forward to seeing MLP in this

5. Erin Blake says:

I really like MLP but having seen the Australian production I actually think Uma suits the role a lot more.

6. Derek117 says:

Say what? They can’t delay a few days or shoot around her until MLP gets over pneumonia–and they also just happen to have an Oscar-nominated replacement waiting in the wings? Really? Sounds like HollywoodSpeak to me. Like Uma, who is a Bigger Name, became available, so MLP got a check and was shown the door. The other possibility is that MLP is suffering from something a lot more serious than pneumonia, and everyone is being respectful of her privacy. Bottom line: I just don’t believe they replaced somebody as talented as MLP because she has a relatively minor illness.

• James says:

It could probably take a long while for one to recover from a case of pneumonia and since the show’s just about good to go to start production, they simply can’t afford any delay to begin filming soon.

• ddjss says:

I remember reading a few weeks ago that MLP had signed a development deal with Showtime, so maybe that was the real reason behind this.

7. Miffy says:

Uma, Oprah.

8. S says:

Bad recast. They are completely different actresses, and I feel there were stronger choices out there.

9. Fiberlicious says:

You had me at “Zachary Quinto.”

10. MattySi. says:

Well I was going to watch this but idk anymore. I guess I can for Penn. I’m not really an Uma fan.

11. behzadbyhimself says:

As the saying goes: Uma, Uma,Uma

12. Timot says:

I haven’t seen Uma Thurman in anything good since Pulp Fiction. I love Mary-lLouise Parker!

13. I can’t wait to see how Uma Thurman will make the role come alive and I hope that NBC will let the series started to finished before killing it if the rating isn’t a winner.

• Carabalda says:

It’s a mini-series, folks, not a regular TV series. There are only 8 episodes and then it’s done (like “True Detective” was a mini-series and had an 8-episode first season.) This mini-series has only one season, and is based on a book which was made into an 8-episode mini-series for Australian TV. This is the American version of that. Doubtful that NBC would pull it off the air without broadcasting all 8 episodes.

The schedule was set up and actors were hired based on the schedule planned. We began filming Episode 1 and worked around MLP’s illness. She came in, and filmed for a few days, but had to leave again because the pneumonia was not fully gone. So UT was hired to replace MLP, and we are now doing re-shoots of the scenes MLP did with UT in her place.

A television show is a gigantic “machine.” Once it starts, you can’t just stop, or “delay a few days or shoot around her until MLP gets over pneumonia.” The machine grinds on, and there are many, many people working in front of the camera and behind it who have a schedule to stick to. Unfortunately, “that’s show biz.”

Sorry MLP is gone… I looked forward to seeing her in it myself. We do still have Zachary Quinto; he’s the biggest “get” for me, though the rest of the cast ain’t chopped liver.

14. I hope that Parker will get better. I believe the reason,the blame must be on the producer who believe that he/she only got so many minute to developed and tape the show.

15. Wesley says:

MLP is definitely a better actress than UT, but I love seeing Thandie Newton & especially Melissa George back on tv!