Ratings: Bones Bopped by Big Bang, Elementary Premiere Down, A to Z Falls

Bones Ratings

Fox’s Bones on Thursday night returned to 5.6 million total viewers and a 1.3 demo rating (per finals) opposite The Big Bang Theory and Mom, dropping 17 and 23 percent from its last fresh outing.

Leading out of that, Gracepoint (3.3 mil/0.8) was steady.

Elsewhere….

CBS | Pending adjustment due to NFL preemptions, The Big Big Theory marked its homecoming with 16.3 mil and a 4.1, down sharply from last fall’s Thursday premiere (19 mil/5.5) and slipping from its most recent Monday telecast (16 mil/4.6). Mom (11.1 mil/2.5) matched its previous premiere (8 mil/2.5), which aired on Monday, as well as The Millers‘ most recent numbers in the time slot (10 mil/2.5).

Two and a Half Men opened its final season with 10.3 mil and a 2.4, up sharply versus its May finale, while The McCarthys (8.1 mil/1.7) improved on The Crazy Ones‘ most recent performance leading out of Men. Elementary (7.6 mil/1.2) was down 25 and 43 percent from its previous premiere.

ABC | Leading out of a Great Pumpkin rerun, Scandal (9.3 mil/3.1) ticked up in the demo, while How to Get Away With Murder (8.7 mil/2.7) slipped 10 percent.

NBC | The Biggest Loser (4.4 mil/1.1), Bad Judge (4 mil/0.9) and Parenthood (3.9 mil/1.1) all dropped some eyeballs and a tenth in the demo, while A to Z (2.5 mil/0.7) fell 16 and 22 percent.

THE CW | Opposite the Big Bang/Mom, Vampire Diaries (1.6 mil/0.8) held steady, as did Reign (1.2 mil/0.5).

1. Boiler says:

Not that it matters much bit will guess Bones and Elementary will DVR pretty well. Elementary did last year and Bones got beat up TBBT

• Mike says:

Fox needs to move Bones quickly! It is the only show they have minus Gotham and Sleepy Hollow and Brooklyn 99. Going into the year they figured let the last season play out let it die out. Now they need the show to save them from falling into the next CW! You cannot have a network with 3 shows, Bones can easily pull 1.6-1.8’s if put in the right spots, and without Bones Fox is one step closer to the CW. They should renew Bones, Gotham, Sleepy Hollow and Brooklyn 99 now! Then use them in spots that are protected and regroup for the spring and next fall.

• Moment says:

Bones doesn’t need movingg. This show is unique in that it can have a bad night and rebound pretty quickly in the following episodes. Bones fans don’t have much to worry about.

• Mike says:

Bones went up against a Charlie Brown and a Pumpkin last night. Grey’s is coming next week. it is not about Bones it is about Fox and ratings, Fox needs to save what it has, so they can sell adds next season, you cannot sell adds when you have no shows to build around. Bones fans are not enough to save the show they need other eye balls. Fox put it in a death slot, and now they need the show to save the network from death. Utopia, Red Band Society, Gracepoint, and Ramsey are 50% of the entire lineup, Idol is DOA. Fox fired their limited series staff, show shows coming like Empire are done. they need to save what they have and regroup or the Fox is toast.

• Mark says:

Don’t watch anything on Fox until its been renewed for season 2 now, been burnt too many times with shows been cancelled on cliff hangers — it wouldn’t be to bad if they at least finished the damn story….

2. justtobesane says:

I thought Elementary did well considering it was up against How To Get Away With Murder. HTGAWM will have its winter finale in a few weeks so hopefully Elementary will rise after that.

3. Nelly says:

The McChartys is a giant flop,i called it! CBS,How I Met Your Dad was a better choice so far! A to Z is dead too.

• David4 says:

How can a show that never or seen got made be a better one that did and watched by nearly 9 million people?

• Bob Smith says:

By CBS’ standards, it is a flop. I predict The McCarthy’s is CBS’ first cancellation of the season. If it was on NBC (or any other network, for that matter) it would have a chance of success. Since CBS’ numbers are generally higher for comedies, it doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in Boston.

Add to the fact the comedy is stale and nothing new is being added, I could care less if Two and a Half Men ushers it out the day as it goes.

• Tran says:

At least if either Mike and Molly or The Odd Couple reboot should take over the 9:30 p.m. Thursday night time slot come mid-season.

4. kmw says:

Not happy about Bones numbers, but not unexpected. Hopefully they will get back up. It was not a great episode given Booth and Brennan had hardly any scenes together. Except for last nights episode they have done better than I thought on Thursday

• aA says:

Last nights Bones ep was just NOT why I watch it…what on earth are Hart Hanson and Stephen Nathan thinking?….B&B had 5 scenes together: 2 at the beginning and 2 at the end and 1 in the middle….on what planet does that make sense? The new guy Aubrey has sucked the life out of B&B partnership, he has so much airtime eating up Booth scenes and B&B scenes its like watching a new show called New Guy…..FIX IT hart and stephen…if this is BONES last season, let it go out gracefully and get the focus back on B&B….utter disgrace…and this is sweeps month for petes sake!

• Piers says:

I didn’t watch it because the spoilers made it sound like a Brennan centric episode and she’s become as insufferable to me as Amy Farrah Fowler on The Big Bang Theory. She’s particularly annoying when she tries to dance. ED is not a graceful woman. And Brennan’s arrogance makes want to find a cast iron frypan to conk her with.

5. Ally Oop says:

Without Grey’s on, Parenthoid and Reign were the must-see shows for me on Thursday although I did DVR Vampire Diaries, A toZ and Big Bang.

6. Amanda says:

Please don’t mention The Crazy Ones. It hurts too much!!

7. I always feel sad when amazing episodes get bad ratings. I know it has nothing to do with the episode’s quality, but last night’s Bones was truly awesome.

8. Tali says:

Wish Bones was on a different night!! Oh well, next week with Bones & Grey’s TBBT is getting the boot! I can catch up on that on Hulu and they really don’t need the views like Bones does.

9. Moment says:

Terrible for Elementary, that said the show has slowly shed viewers throughout its run. This will be one show that CBS will likely have to drag to syndication. I can see it replacing Hawaii Five-O on Fridays personally.

• Boiler says:

Really??

• Moment says:

I was under the impression that TNT may not carry the show for another season. Lose TNT and that syndication money and it’s buh bye Hawaii Five O with its current numbers. .

• Bob Smith says:

I read a report on Hawaii Five-0 which said that because of their syndication deal with TNT, CBS will continue with the show for another season or two because it makes financial sense, even though the 18-49 demo is weak. I don’t think Elementary really fits with a Friday time. Perhaps a Monday night at 10PM slot??? Fits better with Scorpion.

• drhenning says:

H50 also sells well overseas and has tons of product placement from Hawaii to help fund it.. Maybe like they did with NCIS-LA, they need to send the Scorpion team out there in a cross-over since it’s doing well.. Since Scorpion is in the same universe ( see Hattie’s cross-over to Scorpion on Monday)…

10. wrstlgirl says:

HTGAWM is sooooo good. Viola Davis is fabulous!!!!

• herman1959 says:

Yup, Wes (a/k/a “Puppy”) is stepping up.

• Ron says:

I’m having conflicted feelings. Sometimes I feel like it’s sooooo good. And other times I’m like “meh” at best. But regardless, I’m hooked enough to not drop it from my regular viewing. But one thing that remains consistent is Viola Davis. That woman is in a league of her own and acts circles around everyone. That’s not a debatable point. This isn’t to say that the others aren’t good (I think Jack as Connor is knocking it out the park). But when you’re on screen with Viola Davis you just accept you’re second best, sit back, and take notes. Is it too premature to say we’ll likely hear Miss Davis’s name called (as the winner) on Emmy night 2015? I mean, depending on the quality of House of Cards season 3, Robin Wright could give Viola a run for her money. But as of right now, I’m not sure I’m willing to bet against Viola for the win.

11. george says:

Gracepiont is a disaster

12. Julie says:

I chose to watch Bones and DVR TBBT. Love TBBT but wish they were still on Mondays. Thursdays are for Grey’s, Bones, and Reign…

13. Tran says:

Great to see TBBT back on Thursdays after an amazing run on Mondays. A to Z continues to be the bearer of bad news.

14. July Lark says:

Killing off Sweets instead of letting him move to another city and Aubrey diminishing Booth and Brennan’s partnership is destroying the show, the original concept and the reason many watch. #FreeDavidandEmily

15. Laura C says:

Bones is the only one of these shows I watch. I am fine with it being on ANY night, I follow it around. I think it premiered on a Thursday though. I still watch TNT repeats and whatever other channels it shows up on- just like Blue Bloods on CBS and ION Tv. If you like a show, you KNOW where it goes and follow (or DVR, which I also do- so I can watch when nothing else is on).

16. kmw says:

Moving Bones is not going to help. It is on a tough night on television and I do think it will rebound. As for Brennan being insufferable we are not watching the same show. Emily Deschanel has done a wonderful job bringing her to where she is now. We just need more of Booth and Brennan being partners at work and at home

17. HAP says:

I don’t understand why A To Z is struggling so badly. How could it lose 40% of the tune-in from Bad Judge, which is an inferior show? I find it to be engaging and it has highly likeable leads.

18. Carter, Moonglown says:

On Elementary, not enough Sherlock and too much of Watson!

19. ChicagoDan says:

The final numbers are out and downright ugly for Elementary (1.2!). Wow. I don’t think CBS anticipated that.

• drhenning says:

CBS Shows in Charlotte were replaced by Panther-Saints… Not sure if also in NO… I agree that when the ABC shows go on hiatus, it’ll do lots better… I’ll also watch live when Parenthood ends.. Not sure what will replace PH for its viewers as they are…

20. Moment says:

Elementary adjusted down to a 1.2 in the finals, that is absolutely dreadful for a season premiere. That said the show has a $3 million an episode syndication deal so CBS haven’t got much to worry about. I personally watch the show, I’m just shocked it has fallen so much. A renewal will happen for syndication purposes, but I wouldn’t expect it to go beyond Season 4.

21. Carla Krae says:

I’m not surprised Parenthood dropped some when Elementary premiered. A lot of people watch Elementary live and DVR Parenthood.

22. Karen MT says:

How are the NFL preemptions figured? Charlotte’s CBS station will be airing the shows in the midnight hours Saturday night.