How to Get Away With Murder Recap: A Hot, Hot Piece of Asher

HTGAWM-bonnie-asher

One minute, somebody’s leaving your high-five hanging; five weeks later, that same somebody’s got all 10 fingers (and then some) collating your legal briefs (so to speak).

Welcome to the crazy, killer world of How to Get Away With Murder, where not only do husbands’ penises wind up on dead girls’ phones, but where every paid member of Annalise Keating’s legal team seemingly gets his or her bonus checks in carnal currency. (OK, so Annalise herself hasn’t bedded any of the “Keating 5” just yet — but she sure looked open to the possibility while plunking herself down on Wes’ humble mattress and flatly asking, “What do you want?”)

Talk about a missed opportunity to play Robin Thicke’s “Blurred Lines”! I mean, what better soundtrack for Wes answering the door all damp and ripped and in nothing but a bath towel?

Sorry — my head’s all turned around. I mean, Wes’ portrayer Alfred Enoch was in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and now he’s the guy who hid a drug dealer/possible murderer’s cell phone in the chamber below his grimy bathroom sink. It’s a lot to process, as were many of the big revelations from this week’s episode, “Freakin’ Whack-a-Mole.”

Let’s recap the major action:

* Asher and Bonnie mix their (euphemism alert) cheese sticks and marinara sauce on the night of Sam’s murder. Yep, one minute Annalise’s blonde assistant — who gives Sam the cold shoulder this week when he thanks her for putting up with the Keating Family crazy — is groaning about having to take Asher along with her on a fact-finding mission, and then — in our flash forward to the night of Sam’s murder — she’s making him her bonfire-night booty call. Is she really into the douche-br0 with big muscles under his Oxfords, or is she merely establishing alibi. (After all, we see Bonnie call Asher only after the Keating Four have Sam’s body stuffed in their vehicle. We also see Asher — on his way to meet Bonnie — walking directly in front of the car with Connor, Laurel, Michaela, Wes and Sam’s dead body. And while he seems to be oblivious to the crime right to his left, would Shondaland really raise such a scene if there wasn’t a larger, juicier purpose?)

* Annalise, under pressure from an on-the-warpath Wes, assigns Frank with the dirty job of planting dead girl Lila’s cell phone — containing Sam’s disembodied penis pics — in the car of Lila’s boyfriend Griffin. Unfortunately for our protagonist, Annalise’s sometimes lover Nate has Frank’s illegal act caught on camera. What is Nate’s end-game? To destroy Annalise now that her skullduggery has cost him his job? To put Sam in prison and free up his illicit lover to be with him full time? To seek justice for murdered Lila? Some or all of the above? In some ways, it seems like Nate — operating outside everyone’s radar — might turn out to be the most (or one of the most) pivotal players in the Lila’s murder/Sam’s murder dance.

VIOLA DAVIS, CHARLIE WEBER* After Frank illegally builds the case against Griffin (via planted cell phone), Rebecca returns from bail-skipping exile – but since she knows that Griffin was never in possession of the phone, and knows it’s Annalise’s hubby’s “winky” in the stored-photos file, she asks Wes a question he ought to be asking himself: “How are you OK with this?” Annalise, though, has a pretty good query of her own for The Law Student Frequently Known as “The Puppy”: How/why does Wes have such blind faith in Rebecca, a shifty neighbor whom he barely knows? I mean, she has big, bright, beautiful eyes, but those peepers didn’t make her incapable of choking out Lila and leaving her corpse in the sorority water tank, did it?

* During the case of the week, Asher suffers a brutal falling out with his wealthy federal judge dad — who got his plum appointment by ignoring perjured testimony against a death-row inmate. It’s a fairly standard “young black man takes the fall for murder of a pretty anti-gentrification crusader by entitled land developer-turned-state legislator” fare. But Annelise’s roaring, outraged monologue in front of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court — while unrealistically disrespectful of their authority — proves nevertheless riveting (and effective). Our protagonist’s fury against the suspicious state senator leads the panel of judges to — crazy quickly — find reasonable doubt in the 20-year-old case, and to promptly free Annalise’s client and overturn his conviction based on the questions she’s raised.

* Laurel, it turns out, is a rich girl — not the poor-but-scrappy social climber we’d been previously led to believe. At Bonnie’s insistence, she breaks off her flirtation with Frank — but Bonnie, lurking in the shadows as the split happens, reveals herself to be Mrs. Danvers-level creepy. Obviously, this is a temporary setback for the duo’s sexytimes — seeing how we’ve all witnessed those flash-forwards of Laurel with Frank’s shirtless selfie on her phone — but there are questions looming. Why has Laurel been hiding her privileged background? Is she really not that into Frank — or was she just giving Bonnie what she felt was an explanation that won’t derail her ambitions?

* Annalise turns on the tears at the end of the hour and tells Sam she needs him, needs him, needs him — and she loves him, too. But as she scathingly let slip last week, her cheating hubby likes his women broken and fragile — so maybe she’s just playing a role of distressed damsel to lure him back into her deadly web. I like that theory more than an Annalise who’s truly desperate to take back a serial cheater/possible homicidal maniac, so I will choose to believe it until proven otherwise. You?

Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 2.49.21 AM* Finally, the episode ends with Annalise calling Bonnie (in bed with Asher), desperately trying to figure out Sam’s whereabouts. Yep, the area rug in her office is missing, which causes her to gasp into the phone, “Something terrible’s happened!!!” But is it possible one of these women — Annalise or Bonnie — might be to blame? They’re mutually exclusive — but scintillating — theories, no?

QUOTES OF THE WEEK
“I’m like the most grown-up grownup ever compared to you dumb-asses!”
Asher, furious when the rest of the Keating Five refuses to let him into Annalise’s office the night of Sam’s murder

“When I filed the petition, I didn’t know you were screwing some white whore!”
Annalise, incredulous when Sam asks her why she’s fighting David Allen’s case when he’s trying to avoid suspicion in Lila’s murder

“It’s not just white people who go to Kennebunkport!”
Asher, defending his dad’s choice of summer vacation spot after he’s accused of racially motivated judicial misconduct

On that note, I turn it over to you: What did you think of Episode 6 of HTGAWM? On a scale of “Sam’s the one wrapped in a rug!” to “Annalise just took off her wig!”, how shocking did you find the Asher-Bonnie tryst? Sound off on those questions and more in the comments!

1. Jared says:

Damn good hour of television.

2. This show just gets more and more entertaining by the week. Its sad, but true…Thursday nights are my favorite nights of the week.

3. TigerLIL says:

I agree with Jared that was the what in the world episode of the series thus far, great case too outstanding piece of acting Mrs. Davis. After picking my jaw up several times in the hour the final jaw dropper that needed the crane to pick up was good ole Nate. I’m like damn he giving Annalise the show nuf blues. Got her number too. I’m like what he want to blackmail the girl.
    I was just sitting in front of the tube thinking damn no Nate this week when out the blue he stills on the job apparently for the University or the football players lawyer, and working over the ex-lover in the “come on man”… ah naw not dude?

I guess we can rule out slick Bonnie as the killer, hmmm…. she bedding down one of the Keating 5 unless she setting up the alibi after lurking in the shadows foiling everybody else hook up. We can rule out Annalise as the hit woman, she knows something done happen at the spot appears that the rug is long gone unless she setting up her alibi, cause I swear it seems like Wes was in the store on the phone with Annalise a couple of episodes ago when he told who ever is on the other end that he had gotten the other team members to clean up the murder but go figure? Looks like they are going to take a winter break like Scandal too..what a mess I got two words to some up this week’s episode REAL UGLY….LOL

4. Maddy says:

Annalise is such a hypocrite. She’s pissed at her husband for cheating on her when she’s cheating on her husband. She goes after a politician who framed an innocent man for murder and then turns around and frames a man for murder.

• TigerLIL says:

Maddy I kinda got to agree with you there. I mean you boning the detective on the side but look like she wanna kill ole hubby for keeping a sidebar…LOL. Then you shot down the senator and good luck on the blow-back on that one, to get an innocent man off for a murder but then turns around and hides your hubby’s apparent misdeeds to protect the slick and cunning girl next door who got your baby boy Wes whipped… I mean, what a mess…lol

• Oh my god, thank you for turning into words the hatred I have for the character of Annalise lol, and what makes it worse is that people think that makes her interesting.

5. Sharone Brown says:

I have never been a TV person ..I can count on one hand the number of shows I have watched in a decade, but I am addicted! !!! Omg, I knew with Viola Davis leading the charge this show would be amazing, but I had no clue it would be this great! !!! I was already emotionally exhausted after the Emmy winning court room scene, but the last seven minutes were filled with even more surprises!!!!! I have nothing else to add except that Viola Davis and the cast are nailing every episode! !!!! It is rare that an entire cast is talented, but it is safe to proclaim they are all pretty darn good! I love you Viola – you ROCK!!!

6. Kayla says:

Bonnie’s setting up an alibiiiiiiiii.

• Everything the characters do in the flash forwards when they aren’t around a dead body is setting up an alibi at this point.

• TigerLIL says:

You know I’m beginning to think the same thing. Its evident she hooked up with the hired help after Sam had been flat-lined but who in the world stole the trophy that hit Sam over the head? Had Bonnie been there, at Asher’s house before? Or was that night the first time? Looks like Ms. Pratt might have cuffed the trophy because Asher was actually looking for her. She might have pop Sam upside the head when he caught him and Rebecca in a twist. some funny lol

7. Cheyenne says:

How to make this show perfect: at least one shirtless shot of Wes in each episode.
    *drool drool*

• TigerLIL says:

I don’t know how much you will be drooling next week when he beds the highly sociopath Rebecca down and I do mean getting on down from the highlights I saw lol

8. laurelnev says:

I like any character who has my name. Just wish this one wasn’t turning out to be such a bitch!

9. Ken says:

I thought Wes found the cellphone in Rebecca’s apartment in her bathroom under the compartment under her grimy sink…He wasn’t storing it under his bathroom sink…

• gameon says:

The Judge who presided over the drug dealer/murder case, Asher’s father, hid a cellphone in the chamber below his grimy bathroom sink.

• Katherine215 says:

No, Rebecca hid it in Wes’s apartment when she came to use his bathroom, and he found it later.

• herman1959 says:

Nope, it was hidden in Wes’s apartment…good idea because who would think to look for it in someone else’s place.

• Rook says:

What if the phone was already there. We think that Rebecca put the phone there but it was never shown. Because they keep making references to who lived there before, Rebecca said it was a law student and the scratch marks on the wall. There is something more the story.

• No, Rebecca came to his apartment once, and used his bathroom. She hid it there. Wes figured it out when she was in jail.

10. gameon says:

The show is good, but I still can’t understand why Wes is so obsessed with helping this chic he barely knows.

11. Stilleto says:

Bonnie is Annalise’s associate (i.e. attorney working under her), not her assistant. Big difference.

12. Eva says:

Wait, how was Laurel hiding her priviledged background if even Bonnie knows about it? Maybe it was just the viewers making assumptions with no support in evidence? I never assumed her to be a poor-but-scrappy social climber, she was just as likely to be a rich girl with good intentions. Unless it was me who missed some kind of evidence we were given to believe one over the other?

• jm says:

Because her surname is Castillo. And we all know that we, latinos only clean houses and toilets in USA. Viewers usually have predujices, that is the point. I am happy to hear that she is front a rich family.

• Justine says:

I made a comment below about this issue. How do we know she actually is rich (or isn’t rich)? How was it confirmed besides just Bonnie assuming it?

• herman1959 says:

For me, the surname had nothing to do with it, but the fact that so much is made of identifying the other wealthy students that it make it easy to assume one is not wealthy if it isn’t discussed at length. Note that “not wealthy” does not equal “poor”. My assumption, unless told otherwise, would be that any of the students is more or less middle class. I think we can look for a backstory on WHY Bonnie knows that Laurel is rich. Anyway, Bonnie is turning out to be one of those stealthy sneeks who gather info on everyone else without giving out any about herself…Yuck!

• catherine says:

I didn’t understand why anyone thought she wasn’t a rich girl. She went to Brown which is a pricey school. While she could have had scholarships the fact she is now in law school with no apparent job makes it more likely she has family money.

13. Justine says:

Do we actually know that Laurel is a rich girl? This recap says so but I thought that was just Bonnie’s assumption. Was it confirmed with some other sort of proof, or by Laurel herself? When Bonnie said that to her, Laurel tried to say something but then Bonnie kept talking – Laurel might have been about to say “I’m not a rich girl” but never got the chance. So we don’t know that yet – we don’t know that much about her at all really. Not about her family or upbringing,

As for Frank, what bothered me about what Bonnie said to Laurel is that up until now, Frank has been painted as the guy who sleeps with Annalise’s students, but the way Bonnie made it seem, he’s much more of an emotional guy who gets attached to “these conquests”. But they end up hurting him once they’re done school/the program since they’re rich and he’s not someone they’d marry/be with long-term, just a fling.

So if that’s the case, there’s nothing that special about the two of them then. Cuz Frank wants her instantly, easily falls in love with her (as he did with the others) and the only difference (probably) is that she isn’t that rich girl and/or will fall in love with him back – not leave him like the others. But who cares? LOL. I want to see her “change” him.

AH WELL, I’m just being silly and lame. Shipping these two hard for some reason and although the story isn’t as cliche as usual (he’s a manwhore who ends up falling for the girl he initially just wanted to bed), I wish it was for some reason.

ALSO, so want to know what he lied to her about… Guess we’ll have to wait a few more episodes to find out.

Overall, good episode. Just not enough Frank/Laurel positive action :)

14. scampi says:

Good episode. I hope Annalise is playing Sam. Mainly because it hurt to see her in that weak moment–‘I need you. I love you’–Viola Davis ROCKS!! Just the repetition of it and the desperation. I hope it’s ‘fake’. Need more of a reason for Wes’ support of Rebecca. I don’t know why, but I want to see the generator of those scratch marks on the wall. No one opens the door in a towel except on tv. I liked Wes telling Annalise to stop it. At least the puppy isn’t clueless.

15. Michelle says:

The Asher-Bonnie twist wasn’t shocking, given that this is a Shonda Rhimes show. You just naturally think about all potential combinations of characters when you watch one of her shows.

16. EmilyM says:

Sam was murdered, not Frank.

17. Daniel says:

For the last two quotes, you have written Frank instead of Sam.

18. Allison says:

As much as I enjoy this show, I just find Wes to be so completely and utterly annoying. Why is he so wrapped up in this Rebecca? They are not family, not best friends, not lovers, she didn’t rescue him from a burning building – what is his deal? He has made her his queen and he is her knight in shining armor. I just don’t get it. Maybe she reminds him of someone near and dear that is no longer alive, I don’t know, but hopefully it will be revealed soon.

Finally we get Asher’s back story. I have to say the opening scene with Asher dancing was just priceless! Very entertaining! Then later on he finds out his daddy was a not so honorable judge, the poor thing. So many sons idolize their fathers only to find out they were only human after all. Anyway, I love that he used his heartbreak to his advantage and got the trophy and helped Keating score a victory for the innocent man. Just a side note, but I always enjoy the quips between Asher and Connor. Those two are gems!

At least the mystery of who killed Keating’s hubby is slowly (and I do mean slowly) being revealed tiny bit by tiny bit. All I want to know is why and who because this thing is being dragged on for waaaaaaaaay too long. Anyway, the promo for next week promises to be awesome and I am sure it will deliver.

19. Hmm says:

Typo: the night of Sam’s murder, not Frank — unless something truly depressing happens and Frank dies

20. tahiz says:

I love Viola Davis and this show; and so we will know in 2 weeks time who killed Sam, did I get that right? I gather from this it can be the fall season finale. Grey’s also wraps in 2 weeks. So we won’t know what happens until maybe later January or early February, darn! Was that Annalise and Wes kissing in the promo? It went too fast and dark. ??

• TigerLIL says:

Yeah ok I re-winded a couple of time trying to catch what I thought was the same thing, I’m like did I see what I thought I saw poor child he is being played by a veteran of manipulation so funny too…

• tahiz says:

Thanks! can’t rewind on Demand, but glad wasn’t the only one to catch it. :) Agree with your last statement too, I think she plays everyone, one way or the other ..we’ll see!

• herman1959 says:

I think the night of the murder is in 5 weeks. The show has been counting down in pretty much real time weekly – “2 months ago,…”8 weeks ago,…5 weeks ago”. I can wait because last ‘s night’s episode actually brought up more questions than it answered.

21. Dee says:

In two episodes we find out who killed Sam! After that then we will find out who killed Lila. Can’t wait for both revelation! I was definitely shocked when I saw he was in bed with Bonnie! And Wes…hot damn!!! Stop hiding all that hotness under your geeky clothing! Show it off more!!

• TigerLIL says:

OK and he is so handsome with those beautiful bedroom eyes but falling out over Rebecca ah, what is the deal on that one?

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Can’t wait to find out who really killed Sam! My money is still on Annalise but I have a feeling it might not be her. Last night’s ep. was great, Asher to me is like the Frat Boy of the group and him hooking up w/Bonnie that was unexpected. I agree w/ some comments about Annalise she is a Hypocrite…….now her cop BF has Frank in his sight. Also can’t wait to see Annalise going at it w/ Rebecca calling her all types of SH*T!! LOL.

• TigerLIL says:

You know what I got a feeling the super cop boyfriend has a b-line on who the murderer is and I just got a funny feeling that Rebecca and Sam have a previous connection and know each other. I don’t get the feeling Sam’s evaluation was the first time they met. Then in next week’s scene, Rebecca and Sam have an encounter at the Keating home, she got a fresh hair due too and I’m thinking what in the world she doing there with Sam no Wes and no Annalise, whats the scoop on that? Sam’s killer is the least likely person and the most obvious person but its gonna hinge on why everyone winded up at the residence and how the trophy winded up back there and why. This is a great Hitchcock who done it. I got two words for this one STAY TUNED…LOL

• herman1959 says:

Asher and Bonnie was the jaw-drop-moment for me, but you know that she is totally using him.

22. redrosie2010 says:

“Asher, furious when the rest of the Keating Five refuses to let him into Annalise’s office the night of Frank’s murder” should be “Sam’s murder” no?

23. herman1959 says:

My favorite moments of this episode: Asher’s solo party and Annalise losing it and screaming “Wes, don’t you leave this house”! And wait a minute – Annalise called BONNIE when she couldn’t find her husband early in the morning… I LOVE THIS SHOW.

24. Drewer says:

I thought we always knew Laurel was a rich girl, I don’t think we were ever supposed to think she wasn’t. She wears nice clothing and hasn’t done anything to make us think she is not well off. They’ve typecast her as the girl from Brown, and not like the girl from Brown who was on full scholarship or something like that. Doesn’t Frank refer to her as going to Brown, it’s like his type or something. I think we are supposed to think she is not as smart as the rest of the five, but definitely not poor. Plus she is an idealist who just wants to help people, which everyone else sort of makes fun of her for being naive/sheltered. At least that is what I have been reading as her social status all season. I don’t ever think we were supposed to think of her as poor.

25. This episode reminded me why I am so bored with each character, and couldn’t both Annalise and Bonnie be responsible for the murder and Annalise’s call was to create more alibi for them both?

26. jazzcolfer says:

I’m addicted to this show and Viola Davis is everything. Everyone is really fantastic. I want to thank the people involved for having faith in the viewers’s intelligence, it’s really refreshing. Also thanks for avoiding all the cliché, stereotypes, and obvious plots we’ve seen over and over again. On a shallow note, I added Viola on my list “who would you turn gay for?”

27. Be says:

Still wondering why Rebecca and Griffin were arguing?

28. Calm It Down Now says:

I love this show, but does anyone else think that Annalise is a little weepy and histrionic? At one point, I thought maybe she was just using it to one-up people around her, but now I just find Annie to be emotionally unstable. It frustrates me because she is supposed to be this strong character, but then she is crying in every other scene…I blame this more on the writing than on Viola Davis, but it is just distracting. I am all for complex, interesting characters, but can we tone down Annalise’s waterworks? Please and thank you.

• TigerLIL says:

Crazy ain’t it but that the mystery of sociopath behavior. They got her playing the perfect one too just like the description of the type of person. She pulls it off well. They are double minds. They give the public one mask strong, confident and poised but the private person is usually an unstable completely nutty person. That’s why they are so difficult to deal with or to describe to someone else. When people you know have met them and you tell them about their crazy, they always look at you funny cause they put on such a good front. But you know who got Annalise number down to a science and who she fears the most will expose her? Super cop, the boyfriend, well ex-boyfriend or what ever he is doing, he keeps that girl on pins and needles she acts like she is terrified of him…lol

29. katrina says:

Love this show I really do. But I can not stand Wes! Most anniying character on tv! Am I the only one?