The Voice Recap: Fun and Done

The Voice - Season 7

Whatever happened to FUN?” rages Kristen Johnston’s Lexi Featherston in one of the most shocking (and hilarious) scenes in the history of Sex and the City.

That exact same question popped into my head during tonight’s episode of The Voice, where Gwen Stefani harajuku’d Season 7’s most ebullient contestant in favor of yet another plaintive balladeer complete with sad-puppy expressions and a hipster hat.

OK, so maybe Troy Richie’s vocal on “Hey Ya!” suffered a tiny bit at the expense of his Hammertime side-shuffle and his crowd-baiting callouts. But couldn’t the world of reality singing competitions use a little more irreverence, a little more playfulness? I mean, my iTunes is chock full of “good,” “important” music — but I’m not gonna pretend like Fergie’s “London Bridge” or LMFAO’s “Sexy and I Know It” haven’t managed to crack my Top 100 Most Played list.

What I’m getting at, I guess, is that while Troy’s commitment to goofballery might not have been the smartest strategy for the Knockout Rounds, it’s a shame that, somehow, the Voice coaches place less value on Outkast’s biggest smash than they would on, say, a 30-year-old Whitney Houston ballad or anything by Train. Music is subjective, after all, and the reality competition panorama ought to be wide enough to encompass all those disparate sounds.

OK, enough of my ranting. (It’s been that kind of week on The Voice.) Instead, let’s get to the business of ranking tonight’s Knockouts from least- to most-promising winner (while bearing in mind I’ll be back in an hour or so with more detailed reviews of every performance):

3. Team Adam: Mia Pfirrman (“Human” by Christina Perri) defeats Alessandra Castronova (“Next to Me” by Emeli Sande) | Mia hit some big ole’ glory notes on “Human,” but despite guest mentor Taylor Swift’s push for more vulnerability, I still felt more like Mia was doing “look what I can do, Ma!” moreso than interpreting the song’s core message. (In other words, Tess Boyer’s Season 6 cover was far superior.) Alessandra, for her part, showed greater nuance, but a little less conviction. Faced with a choice of “pick a winner” or “welcome Christina Milian back to the social-media balcony,” I’d have chosen Alessandra as the winner, but this was one of those instances where it’s more a matter of personal taste than obvious “victory.”

2. Team Gwen: Taylor John Williams (“Mad World” by Tears for Fears) defeats Troy Ritchie (“Hey Ya!” by OutKast) | I know some corners of the blogosphere have thrown a side-eye at Taylor John for covering songs closely associated with Kris Allen and Adam Lambert during American Idol‘s eighth season — and I get it. (Especially since Taylor’s renditions have come across like bargain-brand peanut butter to the Idol grads’ Skippy.) My bigger problem, though, is that Taylor is about as distinctive as unfilled pie crust — in terms of tone, emotional connection to the music and stage presence. Taylor Troy, for his part, was the key lime of the competition — not for everyone, but with a sting of citrus-y zing and a commitment to playing a bit left-of-center. Add his gorgeously gruff tone and on-point falsetto to the mix, and well, Gwen’s end of episode “I feel like I might’ve just won The Voice”  seems less prescient as “Girl, cutting Troy is where you just LOST The Voice.

1. Team Pharrell: Elyjuh Rene (“With You” by Chris Brown) defeats Ricky Manning (“Wrecking Ball” by Miley Cyrus) | First, let’s talk Ricky, who’s improvement from Battles (a tepid “Love Me Again”) to Battles (a solid “On Broadway”) to Knockouts (a gut-wrenching Miley cover) has been almost unprecedented. Dude laid himself bare on the Voice stage tonight, and somehow managed to channel T.Swift’s crazy/beautiful advice — use your eyes as “laser beams” and “give bold, hurt, dejected looks and use that as a sniper shot” — to achieve front-runner status. And while, yeah, he outdid Elyjuh tonight, the latter artist really managed to pull off some impressive vocal tricks on the typically underwhelming “With You.” The scatting near the end? That rollercoaster run? His loose, limber stage presence? All pretty compelling. And since Pharrell probably knew Ricky was guaranteed to get a Steal, his explanation about “more work to be done” with Elyjuh didn’t rub me the wrong way.

I just wish we’d had a little more insight into Pharrell’s cryptic comments that there was a “disconnect” between Elyjuh and the lyrics, and that he wants the kid to tell his “own story” and not anyone else’s. Whatever the specifics — put yer theories down in the comments! — it’s clear the coach feels a real responsibility to his teenage charge. And while that approach may not carry him to the Season 7 winner’s circle, it further stamps Pharrell as somebody who could really get involved with Voice graduates after the show — maybe even help ’em score a chart topper or two…

On that convoluted note, it’s your turn. What did you think of Tuesday’s Knockout Rounds? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Send Your Hate Here says:

TROY! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!

2. Andres says:

I’m done with the voice.

• kevin says:

See you Monday.

• Tyler says:

I don’t blame you. I’m getting tired of these judges’ ridiculous decisions. They make no sense. Slezak may be forgiving of Pharrell, but I’m not. His reason for selecting Eiijah was BS. Everyone knows Ricky won the knockout. Isn’t that what the knockout is all about? Who sang better than the other person?! Ricky killed it and I think he has the potential to win it all–or at least make it to the finals. I predict Elijah won’t even be around by Thanksgiving. That’s how ridiculous Pharrell’s decision was. He seemed like a nice guy but I lost a lot of respect for him tonight.

3. thejewishguy says:

NOOOOOOO TROYYYYYY WE NEED YOU!!!! I call for an extra steal so Troy maybe saved. Please. JUst for me man.

• Send Your Hate Here says:

I actually completely disagree about Hey Ya not being a great pick for this stage in the competition. I think it’s great someone would do something different. Unfortunately, you don’t always get credit for it; Christina’s rendition of Hold On We’re Going Home deserved the praise it got, but for some reason she got nearly no credit for experimenting by using a vocoder on stage when she did Hide and Seek. Being successful on this show for being unique on this show is like flipping a coin, sometimes it works and other times it doesn’t. (Even when it absolutely should.)

• Mirabala says:

I was thinking the same thing!

4. Andres says:

First Toia then Troy. These coaches need to learn how to chose correctly.

5. Adake says:

Right song choice and emoting were overall the winning formula tonight. Not surprisingly, Taylor and Mia won based on this and Ricky got the steal by Gwen. I was anxiously awaiting Mia’s performance of Human and she didn’t disappoint. Pharrell decided to ignore performance and chose potential with Elyjuh. Adam is building a really solid team with Taylor, Mia, Damien and probably Matt and Chris. Blake’s country singers bound to pull the large country vote (see Jake last season). Who would have thought that Toia and Troy would go home while Ricky and Sugar would be heading to the “live” rounds. Shocking!

6. JM says:

I was screaming at my screen when Troy was eliminated. Haven’t these judges EVER seen AI or heard about its incredible performances that Taylor keep imitating???? When they say ‘he’s so original’, I just cringe. Poor Troy and stupid judges, because I guarantee you he would have garnered a ton of votes.

• Angie_Overrated says:

When Taylor did that crappy falsetto I literally started laughing. And then they showed Pharrell going “wow!” Ok, that’s terrifying. I know he’s not really a singer, but I would expect someone in his position to know that the only proper reaction in that scenario is derisive laughter.

• JM says:

Absolutely correct. Pharrell seems to be too easily impressed. He needs to get off the ‘Mr. Nice Guy’ kool-aid and be more critical.

• Adake says:

Angie, you are never going to see the coaches laughing at a contestant. EVER! That is not the image they want to project. We’ll leave that to you.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Fair enough. But why the “wow, that’s amazing!” look on his face when it was quite clearly bad?

• Adake says:

I can’t read any of these coaches minds or know whether they think a competitor is really “wow” or they are trying to get a coach to make a mistake. Didn’t Blake, Adam and Pharrell all think Taylor was better? It does seem that Pharrell really tries to support Gwen’s contestants and her decisions whether good or bad.

• Sara says:

Adake, Blake said that he thought Troy won against Taylor.

• TooBadSoSad says:

Oh please, like any of the coaches reaction shots are actually “live” to the events happening on stage, or hell, are even in reaction to the singer that happens to be singing on stage. The wonders of editing creates the story the producers want to tell.

• Stacy M says:

Yeah, what would an amateur hack like Pharrell know about music anyway?! [/end sarcasm]

• Adake says:

I agree that Taylor’s performance pales in comparison to Adam Lambert’s on AI. But it wasn’t bad and while I wanted Troy to win didn’t think his song choice here was the best one.

• Amie says:

I thought exactly the same thing. Not only is he doing copies of AI performances, he’s stuck in season 8. He’s already covered songs from the #1 and #2 contestant’s best stuff from that season, so I suppose next up he screams his way through Dream On or does Janis Joplin’s Cry Baby.

• Yes JM I agree. Those songs were already done on AI and done better than Taylors version! Im from Oregon and most people from here are supporting Taylor! I went through the 90’s up here in the Northwest and when you have excellent talent like Chris Cornell from Soundgarden and Geoff Tate from Queensryche (, here from the northwest also) than Im not impressed with Taylor. He is very void of personality and stage presence.

• Jill Moy says:

HEY BECCA,

I have only listened to singers you’ve liked, since episode 1 and agree with you as usual. I have a friend who sends me the terrible singer’s performances and there are some real crappy weird singers for sure. I like the country singer with the long hair the best. I listened to Toia and she was average. I guess I’m not missing much by not watching. These days I don’t believe there are very good singers on any of these type shows.

Good to see you out here! I left comments on the show before this.

• Hi Jill, I answered your comment. But maybe it didnt post. That has been happening a lot to everyone! “The Strange Disappearing Post! Yep I still love the long haired country guy too. But he has to go up against Anita, the reggae chick, I dont know who will win that battle, but maybe Blake will steal him back if Anita wins! Good to see you around here!

• Jill Moy says:

Stupid matchup! Well, I still won’t watchshow I’ll find out on that post. There has been some terriblesingersfrom a few I have seen…real jokers!

• I agree Jill! This is not my favorite season! I think the best season was Terry McDermot and Nicholas David! Everyone actually was great that season!

7. Jeff Marley says:

I really liked taylor and ricky today!!! 😃 Sad that try got eliminated😔 Go follow him on Twitter and Instagram!!!

8. Angie_Overrated says:

I think we can officially declare this as The Voice’s version of Idol S13. This blows. Let’s close our eyes, plug our ears, and sing “LA LA LA LA LA” really loudly.
    Taylor advanced? Are you bleepin’ kidding me? He’s in a race for last place with that Ellie Goulding wannabe from last night. I know some people aren’t jazzed about Damien, but c’mon. Would you take wannabe Ellie Goulding or this Taylor kid over Damien? Really? REALLY!!?!
    I’m so sad. I can’t take another bad season of these shows.

• Kaba says:

Don’t worry. Xtina is back next season.
      But I don’t even think a season of Xfactor was as hopeless as AI13. So we can call this the weakest of the voice’s bunch, but it’s not AI13 level bad…don’t think that’s possible to recreate.

• Angie_Overrated says:

You’re right. AI13 set the new anti-standard. There are a few this season I’ve enjoyed listening to. Just not that many of them.
        This is reminding me a bit of that season where the only real singers/performers were Chamuel, Sasha Allen, and the country girl who won. Man that season was bad.

• Jeff Marley says:

I also loved Judith Hill, Sarah Simmons, Karina Iglesias, Monique Abbadie, and Cathia!!! 😃😃😃

• Sara says:

Totally disagree about that season of The Voice. There were a lot of talented singers that season. Michelle Chamuel, Sasha Allen, Sarah Simmons, Amber Carrington, and Judith Hill were all outstanding. That season was bad just because of the fact that too many good ones went home early because of the country vote.

• analythinker says:

I like Damien! But Taylor JW…. ugggghhhh. I don’t think I’ve ever been as mad as this by some elimination.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yeah, dude. Taylor’s presence on this show and his continuing success underscores just how lame this season is. I have 1st and 2nd year voice students who are better than he.

• analythinker says:

And meanwhile… Curt Smith had just congratulated him on Twitter for a “nice job”. I don’t detect sarcasm, however.

• Jules says:

Well we ALL don’t agree. I haven’t watched Idol in years. I’ll stick with The Voice.

9. Rowan says:

I was SO sad to see Troy go. He was truly a unique, natural performer. His tone was so different. Taylor was great, but nothing different.

• Christian says:

Troy could’ve actually won

• sheba says:

I have to disagree. While I thought his performance was fun, after the intro, it turned into superior drunken karaoke. A+ for entertainment value, B- for the actual singing. If this is the kind of artist he wants to be, I can understand why the coaches passed on him. Sure, I’d enjoy a night of this at my local bar, but I don’t need it in my iTunes.

• kevin says:

Thank you! For me it was a no brainer. Troy would be OK to hang out with, but this is a SINGING competition. Blake was the only person who chose Troy over Taylor.

• TinLV says:

Well said.. and I totally agree with you.

• Tyler says:

I agree with you too.

• Meri says:

I also agree with what Blake said about Troy choosing songs that are too different every week. I don’t have a feel of what his cd would be like. It’s good to show versatility as your career progresses, but someone starting out should have a more specific sound – especially when they’re being mentored. The coach has to have an idea of what direction to go.

• I wonder why Blake his holding on to his save? Maybe he is going to save Craig Wayne Boyd back to his team, because Craig will sing against Anita and it might be rough to beat her! Although Im not really into the raggae thing!

• Stacy M says:

Sheba, you nailed it! Honestly I’m more surprised by the outraged fan reaction than I was by this judge’s pick. It makes me wonder if we were all listening to the same performances.

• Cyn says:

His voice reminded me of Dave Matthews. It was different.

10. Ana Andrade says:

My thoughts on how the performances went:

3. I actually liked Alessandra’s performance more than Mia’s. I think Tess Boyer did Human better.

2. Troy should have won. End of story.

1. Both Eliyuh and Eicky did really well. I’m happy Ricky got stolen.

11. Adake says:

Michael, your preconceived love affair with all things Pharrell taint your decisions. Elujuh’s performance # 1 – really. His was the worst performance of the night in my opinion (even though I’ve liked him up to this point). Ricky out performed him and should have been chosen. I’d rate the other two performances 1 & 2 either way. Pharrell has made some big mistakes this round.

12. JM says:

I firmly believe that Pharrell chose Elyjuh, because he knew that Ricky would be stolen after all the praise he got, and he didn’t want Elyjuh to go home. I really think Pharrell doesn’t care if he wins, he cares about the singers.

• Jeff Marley says:

That’s why I am a huge fan of pharrel!!! He is like a father to them. 😄

• Adake says:

I think you are reading an awful lot into Pharrell’s motives. And if you don’t think he wants to win and beat Adam and Blake, well I just respectfully disagree. Remember this is a reality music tv contestant and every coach wants to really win.

• Jeff Marley says:

I understand but I feel as if adam and Blake are sort of more focused on winning no matter which contestant wins. 😃

• JM says:

I didn’t say he doesn’t want to win. I said that he doesn’t care either way, because he places more emphasis on the singers and their feelings. How else do you explain that he chose Elyjuh over Ricky, the clear winner (even Pharrell said so).

• Adake says:

I get what you both are saying but to me the first goal of the Voice is for a coach to take their best contestant for a finals win. That’s where they get their accolades as this is a contest.Look at what a big deal it was that Usher finally beat Adam and Blake’s dominance. Their second goal is to give as much advice and help to their team members as they can. But it’s Adam and Blake’s kidding and competitiveness that makes this show tick.

• AVL says:

This is exactly what I said and firmly believe as well. I think as a producer Pharrell’s primary motivation is to develop artists. He believes both Ricky and Elyjuh deserve to go forward, maybe more so than some contestants yet to perform. He chose Elyyjuh over Ricky because he was sure Ricky would be stolen and he wasn’t sure Elyjuh would be. Also, the prime directive of the show is to discover new, marketable talent that will rise to fame. The competition between the coaches is the means to meet this goal but not the show’s purpose.

• Scarlett says:

I agree with you 100%. And I’m really loving Pharrell – love when the camera cuts to him watching a contestant sing. He focuses and pays attention and he’s a cheerleader for singers not even on his team. Nice guy.

• jag says:

The decision was made based on subject reasons. But the voice is a competition of talents. Pharell is heading for a win win situation but obviously do no justice on d purpose of d show. I know it happened all d time but the obvious difference between d two contestant, Ricky being on the top was undeniable. It was not a wise or good decision, not even reasonable but hey Pharell is the coach and what his done will bite him back hard.

13. Amber says:

Pharell is crazy!

And that Hey Ya guy was terrible

14. lizzieB says:

Troy :(

15. Adam says:

Troy vs. Taylor: Troy won hands down. Taylor may have picked an emotional song, but he didn’t really do anything different with it or put his own stamp on it. Troy sang well and was entertaining, which can’t be said for too many of this season’s contestants. Don’t express too much joy on stage or sing an upbeat song, folks, because it means you’re not serious about the competition, apparently.
    Alessandra vs. Mia: Both were solid, but neither blew me away. I agree that Mia is probably further along musically than Alessandra, but I never saw either winning it all. Between the two, though, Mia is definitely more likely to go the distance.
    Elyjuh vs. Ricky: I was so happy that Ricky did so well, because I’ve been a fan of his from the start. But when every coach (including Pharrell) says that Ricky was significantly better than Elyjuh and then Pharrell chooses Elyjuh to advance because he picked an unexceptional song, I have to wonder if Blake and Pharrell swapped cups. Thankfully, Gwen scooped up Ricky. I still don’t think he can win, but I’m happy he advanced.

16. Kaba says:

Don’t think I want to watch the rest of the knockouts.
    I couldn’t stomach sitting through Adam, Gwen, and Pharrell flat out choose their favorites in such an un-charismatic fashion.
    Blake’s boring, but man is he generally much more objective than the rest of his coaches, at least it seems.
    Anyways. To be pretty simple I thought everyone that lost tonight should have won.

Troy v Taylor, I get This is “The Voice”, but I don’t care about a voice that has no stage presence and man this show really thrives when they have a great amount of contestants with a commanding presence on stage. Yes, Troy had more fun and his vocals were a bit more rough from that, but hats off to those chops while he was dancing like the crazy uncle at a wedding. I dug him and I dug his style.

Alessandra v Mia, Emeli Sande songs are about as interesting as homework on quantum physics but she sang much better than Mia did if you’re asking me. The whole glory note abuse that was the performance Mia put on was just…no thank you.

Ricky v Elyjuh, oh man I really lost interest in Elyjuh tonight. Blah blah blah Elyjuh is vocally better than Ricky, but his performance was so incredibly contrived and disconnected to me that I just couldn’t deal with it. Especially on a Chris Brown song I like. Ricky would have benefited better from a more dynamic arrangement, but man was he easily better than Elyjuh.
    What got me though, was Pharrell’s crackheaded reasoning for his choice. Imo, Elyjuh’s body of work tells me he piqued on XO because he hasn’t given me anything of that level since. He doesn’t strike me as someone who’ll grow out of such a note for note level of musical micromanagement. I’d even say Katriz grew out of that habit better than he did.

17. christianlhall says:

Who do you think will be the top 3 in Gwen’s Team?

• Kim Moores says:

TJW is a lock. If the woman weren’t married she’d probably be taking the boy out on dates.
      Bryana
      and Anita..
      Though I can see Ricky there too now.

• Angie_Overrated says:

No way. Taylor sucks. He has all the charisma of a dookie left in the toilet overnight. I’d say he’s a lock to be the next from her team to be eliminated.

• Kim Moores says:

I agree…but he’s leading iTunes right now Angie.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I guess these are the same people who support Train, Dave Matthews Band, Katy Perry, etc.
            That made me so sad.

• Kim Moores says:

He’s about to hit the iTunes top 50…whyyyyy

• Timmah says:

I think you guys are wrong about Taylor. There is something about him that I can’t quite put my finger on, but I just have a gut feeling he’s going to go a long way in this competition.

• Angie_Overrated says:

If you’re right, Timmah, I am so out of here it’s not even funny. Dude is horrible. Between him and Ellie Goulding knockoff, I think I have PTSD.

• Ana Andrade says:

Are you going to let two singers you don’t like ruin this show for you? I feel like maybe you need to accept that people like singers like Taylor W and Jessie. Music is subjective and from reading you comments since last season I feel that you judge people based on what music they like. When a singer I don’t like makes it through I just shrug it off and think some people like them. I have nothing against those singers. For example, I actually didn’t care for Kat Perkins last season, but I’m ok with the fact that you and others liked her. I’m not trying to start a fight, I’m just merely expressing my opinion.

• analythinker says:

Post Traumatic Season Disorder

• bobsaccamanna says:

We can do this age old argument again this season Angie, we get it, there is a certain type of singer/artist that you don’t like. The Caroline Pennell’s, Melanie Martinez’s and Jessie Pitts of the world will never be your cup of tea but apparently lots of people disagree with you, myself included. It’s not always about being technically perfect, for me it’s about what sounds pleasing to my ear.I’m 62 years old and have been addicted to music since I was 8, I’ve been to a million(hyperbolic) concerts but now, in my advancing years, instead of concerts, I am addicted to these shows just like you. But the artists I listen to and like would have no chance on these shows, imagine Tom Waits croaking his way through Heart of Saturday Night on The Voice, he probably wouldn’t get a chair turn, Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Bruce, John Prine, Regina Spektor, all probably wouldn’t have a chance on The Voice but it doesn’t change the fact that they are incredible artists. I guess what I’m saying is I think it’s great that the show leaves some room for these type of singers along with the technically perfect Damien’s of the world. Hey Sasha Allen was probably my favorite voice contestant of all time and I think we both agree on how amazing she was.
            Anyhow, we can disagree, I still love reading your comments, you know your stuff.

• Gailer says:

I loved Taylor from the get go lol

18. Kim Moores says:

I’m watching up to the playoffs and if I’m not impressed I won’t bother watching the rest of the season. I’ll just watch the most recommended performances on youtube.
    I seriously am starting to dislike Pharrell as a coach atm.
    After tonight I’m certain he had his favorites picked out since the blinds and they were destined to make it to the knockouts regardless of whether they genuinely won a round or not.
    I can only imagine who of his 5 would have been chosen if the playoffs were like last season.

19. analythinker says:

OH, THAT’s just a CRIME!!!

20. Kim Moores says:

Tonight was just…full of blatant robberies.

21. Sharon says:

I was rooting for Alessandra. Mia did well, but I just prefer Alessandra’s voice and style. I’m very sorry to see Troy go and agree that he brought fun and energy to the show. I actually understand Pharrell’s argument for keeping Elyjuh (sorry, I can’t remember how he spells his name) — the kid has a serious range and lovely tone and could benefit enormously from help with song selection and presentation. And he knew Ricky would be stolen. This is shaping up to be a potentially peculiar season, no?

22. Esther says:

Troy! Nooooo. 😭 I’m so heart broken. For the amount of dancing he was doing, his vocals were great! And he’s the only one with fun stage presence. How is Taylor different from all the white boy coffee shop singers from all the other singing shows??? Not unique at all, Pharrell. I thought at least I can depend on Troy to brighten that stage up. Well, continue loving depressing performances, show. I won’t bother because after a long day of work, the last thing I’m interested in seeing is a sad song sung in an “emotional” manner. Give me sth fun and exciting. Troy and Toia were both robbed.

23. Cookely says:

Shows name is The Voice; not the Wiggles.

24. Timmah says:

I’m sorry, but the goofy dancer guy has an ok voice at best. Taylor 3 Names won that round.

25. caligirlki says:

there’s no way in hell that that was anywhere near Adam Lambert’s version of mad world

26. Gailer says:

Taylor was my fave so I’m happy, sorry michael!

27. JT says:

What a shame. Troy brought some much needed FUN to the show…Taylor gave just another whiny, melancholy sad puppy-eyes performance. Also shocked that Pharrell kept Elyjuh who really went flat tonight.

28. potus says:

I’ve never really listened to wrecking ball as I avoid all things Miley Cyrus like Ebola. But I enjoyed Ricky’s performance. I can only assume that Pharrell already knew that Gwen was ready to snag him when he made his baffling choice for the pleasant but completely forgettable Elyjuh of the precious spelling.

29. JON says:

All my picks this episode got eliminated.

30. Mirabala says:

I’m so upset over the loss of Troy. I was pretty sure Gwen would pick him, or the very least, Blake would steal him. And Blake saying something he didn’t know what kind of artist Troy would be. I know I exactly who is. I agree with you Slezak, that Troy is a top contender. Enjoy reading your site

31. Mae says:

I think Pharrell’s decision on Elyjuh is base on race not voice. Disappointing judgement on Pharrell.

• Sharon says:

Whoa, Mae, I think that’s making a big assumption. I haven’t seen any indication that Pharrell is supporting African-American singers over others on The Voice, and he certainly hasn’t failed to support and nurture the talents of white artists in his career in general. I have had some vocal training (choral, not solo) and I can say with confidence that Elyjuh has got something potentially very special in the vocal department. There is no doubt he chose a lousy song, but I’m with Pharrell on this — I want to see what he can do with better song choice and continued coaching to stop performing songs and start feeling and interpreting them. And I take nothing away from Ricky’s beautiful and heartfelt performance of “Wrecking Ball” when I say that, since I think it’s the best version of that song I’ve ever seen. Pharrell clearly realized Ricky was going to be staying.

• Jazz says:

WOW what an idiotic and embarassing thing to say. So when he got rid of Maiya, Toia, Katriz and Brittany was it because of race too? Pretty sure the only members he has left of colour are Elijuh and Menlik who are completely different genres from one another. Why not disagree respectfully rather than suggesting this childish assumption?

Just a tip

• Erin says:

I disagree that he chose him based on race as well. Elyjuh’s song did not resonate because he chose a romantic song about a girl. He is clearly gay, so the connection between him and the song was totally lost.

32. john says:

I AM SO DONE WITH THE VOICE SEASON 7!

I was actually so proud of Gwen for being the ONLY one who turned for Troy during the blinds, because the other judges were so stupid for not hearing how great Troy is. And when she went on for chosing Troy over Menlik in the Battles, I though she was being so smart.

I thought Gwen may have chosen Taylor over Troy simply because she thought Taylor would get more votes in the live rounds because she may have thought Taylor was more charming.

But to me, Taylor really bored the hell out of every living thing on Earth. He was good, has a nice voice, but that’s it – plain, nothing extraordinary, and downright boring!

Keeping Troy could have actually make Gwen the winner this season. I strongly think, I really do. Reading through a lot of comments in many blogs in the internet, people seem to like the entertainment value he brings to The Voice ever since Day 1. And he is not all entertaining; he also has this very distinctive, very unique and very good voice to complement his amazing personality.

Ugh! What a shame, because I must say, I really liked Gwen. She is my favorite coach this season. She was so fun, so smart and so witty. But cutting Troy, ugh. it make me sooo sad. :(

33. analythinker says:

I’m interested in knowing which singer Blake is gonna steal next week.

• JM says:

Well, I hope it’s either Anita Antoinette or Craig Wayne Boyd as I like both of them.

• analythinker says:

I don’t know, from the short clip it looks like Anita won and Blake already made up his mind with “one male country artist” on his team, no?

34. Zachary says:

Somehow, I think that Adam is not in it to win it. I don’t think he has any strong contender in his team. But who knows, it could be the underdog player to win this season.

and….

I’d choose Ricky Manning over Elyjuh Rene. Ricky brought meaning to each and every lyrics.

I’d choose Alessandra over Mia because Mia was too nasally weird (for the song) while Alessandra seemed consistent.

I’d still choose Taylor John Williams.

35. Voice addict says:

Hey Micheal, think you made a mistake in your Taylor/ Troy post. You wrote Taylor instead of Troy 7th line! And yes I agree, Troy slayed it.

36. Stacy M says:

For the life of me, I do not get all the hate against Elyjuh! If you look away from the screen, check your judgement, and just LISTEN to that kid, he has a voice like one in a million! He’s probably going to be voted off fast because of all the sour sour grapes. But mark my words, Farrell is going to make magic with his instrument.

37. Lora says:

I can not believe Gwen cut Troy and nobody grabbed him! He is about the only interesting singer on the show right now. Sure, they all song great but it’s the same ole same ole as every other season. I really wanted to see what else he had in store for us. I hope he makes it big somehow regardless. : /

• Timmah says:

I agree you need something different, but Troy reminded me of one of those goofball contestants that they keep too long on Idol.

38. Kiki says:

Is ANYONE editing Michael’s copy? He clearly meant to say TROY here:

“Taylor, for his part, was the key lime of the competition — not for everyone, but with a sting of citrus-y zing and a commitment to playing a bit left-of-center. Add his gorgeously gruff tone and on-point falsetto…”

Troy leaving was a real shame. I loved him!! He rocked!!

You are so right, Michael…where’s the fun gone?!?!?!

39. Mai says:

I also think Troy won the battle…. and I actually think the mentors should be given a choice between keeping two people from their team on a battle or using their steal. A lot of times they end up with a stolen artist that is worse than someone who was already on their team

• Timmah says:

It’s really unfair the way they do the steals. There was someone last season who everyone was shocked wasn’t stolen, and it turned out they were in the final battle round (shown out of order) and there were no steals left. But, they think that the steals make for good TV (which they would if they didn’t spoil them), so there’s zero chance they will change them.

• Mai says:

But keeping both artists could be good TV. Imagine Carson saying “and WHO decides to forgo their steal and keep both artists on their team??? Up next, on The Voice” (or something like that lol)

40. Lloyd says:

3. LOL Michael, since Alessandra got eliminated, I guess you missed your last opportunity to type her full name correctly. :P I think she sang really well, I love her voice. Mia made some changes to the song, some of them I liked, most of them I didn’t. Also, the arrangement, she went straight from the low first verse to glory notes, without letting the song build up. She’s a good singer, though. Still, I would have gone with Alessandra.
    2. Troy is a sexy man. LOL, that said, his head voice doesn’t sound pleasant and there wasn’t much singing in the song he chose, much of it was… chanting, or whatever the proper word is. However, what he did was interesting and different from what we’re used to seeing on these shows, so points for that. As for Taylor… hm, where to begin? He seemed nervous, like he was gasping for air, his runs sounded kinda… interrupted/discontinuous, the parts of the song he chose to sing didn’t really form a clear story lyric-wise, and overall he’s an un-engaging performer. The coaches’ praise seemed so fake. Maybe Taylor will be the Jake Worthington of this season – someone who will outlast almost everyone else who’s more talented and interesting. Troy was so robbed.
    1. Elyjuh has a pleasant voice and is a good singer, but he reminds me of Jacob Lusk with what he does with his face and mannerisms, and that is not a good thing. I didn’t really like how Ricky rearranged “Wrecking ball”, it sounded as if it was lumbering, to quote one of Keith’s critiques from last AI. I felt he did a good job portraying the emotion, though. It was convincing, and he didn’t overplay it. So it did seem absurd that everyone, including Pharrell, said that Ricky was better and yet Elyjuh won.

41. Jules says:

I honestly think Pharrel would like Elyjah to be less Chris Brown and more Frank Ocean, if you know what I mean. I prefered Ricky. I think he has major star power but I GET the decision. He has a great voice too. We’ll see what happens. There’s quite a few good ones this year!!

• Jeff Marley says:

I completly agree. Ricky is gonna be just fine with gens guidance and I think pharrel knows what he’s doing with elyjuh. Some people might dissagree but that’s just how creative processing works. Also my other favorites are DaNica, Anita, Luke, Taylor Phelan, and James!!! 😃😃😃

• Sharon says:

“Less Chris Brown and more Frank Ocean, if you know what I mean” is a PERFECT way of putting it, Jules!

42. Temperance says:

Yeah, both Gwen (ousting Troy) and (doubly) Pharrel (with Ricky) were totally on hallucinogens. Ricky gave the best performance of the entire season and Pharrel cut him? That was utterly bizarre. Even worst, after ousting Troy, Gwen undeservedly got to steal Ricky – and probably the season win.

43. Gail says:

I feel like Pharrell may be alluding to Elyjuh’s sexuality when he says the song didn’t reflect his “story.” The song refers to heterosexuality, as it is sung by a man and he’s referring to being in love with a woman. Not that I care whether or not Elyjuh is gay or transgender or whatever, but what else could Pharrell be referring to, but some disconnect in the sexual orientation of the song?

Picking the wrong song is just as good of a reason to be eliminated as messing up the “right” song. I like Elyjuh, but Ricky won the round and I thought Pharrell’s decision was unfair.

44. I don’t understand Gwen’s obsession with Taylor. He is literally one of the most boring contestants in the whole show; pairing him with Troy made it all the more obvious. And Blake’s ridiculous reason for not stealing him? That pissed me off so much. Ugh I just hope Gwen keeps Anita. Please dear lord just let her keep Anita.

45. Ya Hey says:

Well, Gwen is definitely smart because by bringing Taylor to the live playoffs, Taylor’s fan girls will definitely vote, vote, vote and vote. Remember Phil Phillips? Yep. Same case.

• Taylor is NO WAY NEAR PHIL PHILLIPS! Are you kidding me? Phil has the talent, personality and looks! Taylors personality is a big void! Taylor reminds me of a Mime. Those suspenders and hat and the hair? Now paint his face white, and send him to the fair, but dont forget the white gloves and balloons and then he can Mime. Im not even kidding. Those are Mime clothes. LOL

• We have a saying on our bumper stickers here in Portland Oregon! ( where Taylor is from,(and I am too! KEEP PORTLAND WEIRD! 152 strip clubs(the highest per capita in a city our size in the United States, a nude beach, and the only cross-dressing mayor EVER, anywhere, right here in Silverton Oregon. Everybody loves him though and so does his town! He wears full drag! And Portland is famous for voo-doo doughnuts! And plenty of dog bars and dog hotels like Taylor works at! LOL

46. Don V says:

I’m all for contestants taking risks. That’s what’s given many of the greatest performances in Voice history. But sometimes they can also crash and burn. While I wouldn’t go that far in describing Troy’s performance, he did give the worst vocals of the night. Yes, he was entertaining, but his performance was way too manic. In contrast Taylor John finally really connected with a song and Gwen got it right.

In fact, I’d say she was the only coach who got it right in this episode. I thought Alessandra and Ricky were the clear winners of the other two battles. Not that Mia and Elyjuh were bad, as there really were no bad performances.

My ranking:

1. Ricky Manning
    2. Taylor John Williams
    3. Alessandra Castronovo
    4. Mia Phirrman
    5. Elyjuh Rene
    6. Roy Ritchie

47. Kristina manning says:

Ricky manning is a good Singer

48. Linda jasper says: