Scream Ordered to Series at MTV

Scream MTV Series

Just in time for Halloween, MTV is finally moving forward with its long-awaited Scream drama series, a small-screen reboot of Kevin Williamson and Wes Craven’s popular horror movie franchise.

RELATED The Killing‘s Bex Taylor-Klaus Lands Recast Lead Role in MTV’s Scream Pilot

MTV on Tuesday announced that it has ordered the reboot to series, slating it for an Oct. 2015 premiere. The first season will consist of 10 episodes.

Scream stars Willa Fitzgerald (Royal Pains), Bex Taylor-Klaus (Arrow), John Karna (The Neighbors), Connor Weil (Kickin’ It), Carlson Young (True Blood), Tracy Middendorf (The Last Ship), Joel Gretsch (Witches of East End) and newcomer Amadeus Serafini (who’s very attractive and, therefore, probably the killer).

Will you be watching Scream next year? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the series below.

1. thisismenow says:

**Slow clap** At least they have finally moved forward with it. It has been in development forever. I figured Scream 5 would happen before this.

2. Jake says:

Seriously, I will cut someone in they tarnish my childhood memories of these films.

• alistaircrane says:

It won’t. The series doesn’t feature Sid, Gale or Dewey, and Ghostface won’t be in it either.

• Jake says:

I knew none of the characters were going to be. But how can you make a scream series without Ghostface?

• alistaircrane says:

I don’t know, but apparently the person who owns the rights of the Ghostface image hasn’t been contacted about this series.

• James says:

I read somewhere that they were waiting to see if they got a series order in order to spend money on the Ghostface mask rights. But I’m guessing we will eventually see it.

• alistaircrane says:

They already shot a pilot, so Ghostface won’t be in it unless they get the rights and do reshoots. I hope the show at least takes place in Woodsboro. I wonder if it will be connected to the movies (like a tv version of Scream 5) or be its own separate thing (like how Teen Wolf the show is a total reboot of the movies).

• Jack says:

Just dont watch it, and then you wont risk your childhood memories being tarnished

3. BrittBrat says:

From a scale of 1 to Death, how scary will this be? And will I have to watch it during the daytime or with all the lights on?

• Moment says:

Probably a 2-3. It will likely rely on jump scares rather than building up a genuinely creepy atmosphere.

• johnhelvete says:

Yeah there is a big difference between Wes Craven and having the pilot directed by the guy who directed the pilot for Faking it, and I like Faking it.

• Moment says:

I’m planning to check it out regardless, I’m sure it’ll be amusing to see how corny they’ll make it. I hope it won’t be the nail in the coffin for the franchise.

• alistaircrane says:

Nothing wrong with jump scares. The whole point is to scare you, and a jump scare is a legitimate fear tactic.

4. James says:

I was hoping for Scream 5 instead. It’s going to be difficult to say goodbye to Sidney.

• alistaircrane says:

Sidney got a great ending in Scream 4. A fifth Scream movie would do something horrible, like kill her off or turn her into the killer.

• James says:

Yeah, actually it was fun how it ended. I remember a line Sidney said to Jill at the end: “Consider this the alternate ending”. That applies to the movie as well; Scream 3 was for me the real ending while Scream 4 was like a bonus to the original story. Still, Sidney was such a great character I wouldn’t be tired to see her again!

• alistaircrane says:

Sidney is a great character, which is why I am worried they’d do something horrible to her in a fourth movie. It’s also getting unrealistic for one woman to be targeted by a serial killer so many times.

• CK says:

Yup, Sidney would be a goner in 5th movie. She’s no Jamie Stroud and they killed her, retconned her back to life, and then killed her again so I’d be surprised if Sidney, Gail or Dewey survived the first 30 minutes of a 5th movie.

5. I can’t wait to see how MTV will be able to make a hit series out of the film when it finally debut

6. Drew says:

My one hope is that this is as good as the first Scream movie. They got progressively worse from there. Scream 2 was bad, but watchable. Scream 3 was nothing but bad. Scream 4 makes you wonder how something that took so long to produce could possibly be as horrible as it was. Seriously, how could it have been that bad?!
    I hope the series is good. I want the franchise to be restored. My guess is that it will be one serial killer story per season. That way they won’t just rehash with the same characters, they can have arcs play out and then move on. Otherwise, it will be five seasons of wondering who the killer is, only to have it turn out to be someone who didn’t even exist in the first season, because all of the first season characters are already dead.

7. aura says:

Kirby lives!!!! Hahaha

And yes I’ll be watching this

8. Ray says:

How are people so terrified of that silly looking plastic mask? I will never understand fans of the slasher/horror genre.

• James says:

It’s not the mask but the way the character is used. I think the first kill with Drew Barrymore could give you the answer you are looking for…

9. JC says:

I want this series to be good since I love the franchise. It’s probably a good call that Sidney, Gale and Dewey are not involved since Scream 4 provided such a great ending for those beloved characters :) can’t wait :)

• alistaircrane says:

I agree. Scream 4 was a nice farewell to those characters. I wasn’t expecting Dewey to make it out of that one alive, so I was pleasantly surprised how it all ended. I was shocked that they killed off all the new characters though because there had been talk of a second trilogy (4, 5 and 6).

10. lizo says:

interesting. Hope its good and that Wes Craven is involved in some way. The Scream movies are absolutely genius.

11. Rosa says:

I’m still confused as to why it’s being listed as a drama when the Scream franchise is in fact comedy.