NBC's Mysteries of Laura Dramedy Nabs Full-Season Pickup

Mysteries of Laura Ratings

The mystery of whether Debra Messing will have a job for the rest of the season? Solved.

NBC on Tuesday ordered an additional nine episodes of Mysteries of Laura, which will bring the freshman drama to a full season, our sister site Deadline reports.

The Messing-led Laura is the first new Peacock Net series to receive a 22-episode pickup. Other fall TV freshmen having already received full-season rides include Fox’s Gotham, CBS’ Madam Secretary, NCIS: New Orleans, Scorpion and Stalker, ABC’s How to Get Away With Murder and black-ish, and The CW’s The Flash and Jane the Virgin.

Laura thus far is averaging 10.4 million viewers and a 1.8 demo rating (with DVR playback factored in), and in Live+Same Day data has improved the time slot’s total audience 58 percent from its year-ago performance.

1. Jenny says:

I was just wondering if this show had been canceled yet. Did it get better after that awful pilot?

2. ninamags says:

I’m only happy for Josh Lucas.

Love him.

3. Moment says:

Weeks ago when I said I thought the show would get a full season order, I had a half dozen self proclaimed experts telling me I was wrong. I guess I wasn’t :)

• D says:

I’ve seen your posts. You are also a self proclaimed expert the way you throw around terms that you’ve picked up here or on other entertainment sites. You just happened to be right….this time.

• Mary says:

No accounting for taste. I love Debra but after a couple of shows I stopped watching.

4. Kris says:

Not crazy about this show. Surprised it hasn’t been canceled.

5. MP says:

I try to give new shows 3 viewings before I decide to keep them or cut them. I only watched this show once before deciding to cut. I guess it must be doing OK in the ratings if NBC decided to keep it.

• herman1959 says:

Same here MP, and I did the same with Gotham. I don’t know if the shows are getting worse or I’m becoming less patient/more demanding.

• MP says:

Hi Herman! I actually made it 20 minutes into Gotham last night and said, that’s it, I’m done. I love Ben McKenzie, but Gotham just didn’t keep my attention.

• herman1959 says:

I know; I realized that the only characters I was really interested in were the young Cat Woman and Alfred, and the show wasn’t even about them.

6. Dean says:

I think the reason for this is cuz NBC’s other comedies except about a boy and marry me are in the gutter already they need a few other comedic-type shows to balance their programming rooster. Drama wise NBC is okay but for the last few years comedies have been their challenge.

7. dkwilley says:

love both stars, but hated the show – cut after about 2-3 episodes for me….

8. VERONICA says:

i HAVE TO SAY, i COULDN’T MAKE IT THROUGH THE PILOT. I TRY TO GIVE A NEW SHOW AT LEAST TWO OR THREE EPISODES BEFORE I DECIDE, BUT THIS ONE WAS WAY TOO FORCIBLY CUTE. l LIKE THE ACTORS BUT THE WRITING IS REALLY, REALLY BAD.

9. fiberlicious says:

Glad to hear it! This is my favorite among the new shows, followed very closely by Scorpion.

10. Irina B says:

I tried. I love her. But this show is just awful. Really surprised it got picked up.

11. Dennis says:

Why would anyone watch this awful mess?

12. I am glad to read that Debra Messing got a full season pickup. Good luck to the future.

13. Billie says:

I really like this. Probably because it has both comedy and drama. I like Debra Messing and Josh Lucas. Congrats to them.

14. Ray says:

This acutely illustrates just how bad NBC’s new shows for 2014 are. Not one real winner among the bunch.

15. bj says:

The first couple of episodes weren’t great. There was too much emphasis on the crazy kids. They were trying too hard to draw people in to something different, I think. Once they relegated the kids to the background things improved considerably. IMHO.

16. Sara says:

I’m really surprised that a month into the fall season, only 1 show has been cancelled. Did the executives finally learn to be patient?

17. Ali Tuñón says:

Love Debra Messing and #MysteriesOfLaura – great news😉

18. Iakovos says:

I like Debra Messing but LAURA needs some tweaking. It is nice to have something a little lighter on the air, and something that is not like everything else. Sure, it is a throwback of sorts. No problem here.

19. Katherine215 says:

Is that demo number including DVR numbers? Because I thought it was averaging 1.3, which is close to what Revolution ended its second season at.

20. gameon says:

So happy for Laz Alonso, he’s the only reason I put up with this show.

21. zammar says:

It’s not a great show, but fun to watch, that’s it..nothing much going on during that time slot for me, so.

22. Lisa says:

This show it absolutely awful! This was only saved by her fan base. I couldn’t make it through the pilot!

23. albean99 says:

Can’t believe it. We barely lasted through the first episode.

24. Marie says:

I love Josh Lucas and I like Debra Messing, but I watched the pilot and couldn’t take this show. It was awful. It was not light, not funny, it was insulting in its assumptions – it was just terrible. So great for the actors, not so great for good TV.

25. Dan G. says:

Please be serious … THIS ? I get it — she’s paying THEM to keep it on the air… but even then …

26. BrianR says:

Fantastic. Its a fresh show and Debra is amazing.

27. worthymagic says:

Very Surprising. NBC must have NOTHING to replace it with. For those of you who like the show, Congratulations. I know Debra Messing has lots of fans out there.

• herman1959 says:

I feel the same about the show, but I guess NBC figures that enough people are watching to keep it going. Remember they have to come up with a replacement for Parenthood.

28. Terry says:

So happy to hear this. I love this show

29. I must agree with you that NBC don’t have anything to replace the Mystery of Laura yet. I hope that the show will get a miracle and renewal for the second season.

30. Penn says:

We love this show. Sometimes one serial killer after another gets to be too much. This is funny and charming and we adore Debra Messing!

31. Larry C. says:

I could barely make it through the first episode. I was embarrassed for Debra Messing especially when she had to appear in that bathing suit. The show wasn’t good — not as a mystery or in its comedic elements. Even SMASH was better than this show.

32. jm says:

I am quite happy. The show had improved a lot. It is totally different from the spanish show. cases are far worse here, but i have some laughts and that what is important.
    I wonder if this show will compete in Comedy or in Drama at the emmys. Dont saying that is emmy worthy.

33. I am soooo happy that Mystery’s of Laura will continue. It is very entertaining, funny & touching. Debra Messing is a very good actress and Josh Lucas works well with her character. I was angry that people were criticizing the show and was afraid it would be discontinued. I was disgusted over the cancelation of Kathy Bates in Harry’s law, a big mistake. Wake up America you are canceling out good actors for bad ones.

34. I really like the show, so I am glad.. That is my wed. night line up I would not miss a Law@order with Mariska then being from Chicago I sure wouldn’t miss PD. So NBC has me that night !!

35. V says:

Really tried to like it because I do love me some Messing, but could not stand it.

36. Valerie T says:

hooray! I love this show.

37. Cheryl says:

I really like the show. Last week show was so funny I laugh so hard.

38. Cheryl says:

I really enjoy the show I laugh so hard at last week show. When Laura didn’t know what she was eating.

39. Steve says:

Glad to see “Mysteries Of Laura” continuing. The critic don’t have a clue what’s really entertaining.

• Dan G. says:

There are two “mysteries” … first, How the Hell does this mess stay on Television? then, What on Earth does Deborah have on NBC, that compels them to show this? Anyway, it really doesn’t matter ….. for CBS kicks their butt night after night …!

40. Jo Ann Jury says:

Never liked Messing but love her in this . It’s funny, plots thin but so is Castle. Lucas is boring as always but show is entertaining.

41. MarieCA says:

Love this show. Very entertaining and can’t wait for the next season. I hope the new nanny character will stay.

42. tsevca says:

Good. It really surprised me. After the trailer, I expected real trash, but it´s little like new Psych.