TVLine Items: Vampire Gal Eyes Flash, Taylor Swift's Rockin' Eve and More

Malese Jow The Flash

The Flash is bringing on a familiar face to play Barry Allen’s latest potential love interest — and this one’s got bite.

RELATED The Flash First Look: Arrow‘s Felicity Helps Barry Ice Out Captain Cold

Malese Jow — who played vampire-turned-ghost Anna on The Vampire Diaries, as well as human Julia on The CW’s short-lived Star-Crossed — has been cast as reporter Linda Park, who will befriend both Iris and Barry, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The infamous DC Comics character will first appear in Episode 12.

Ready for more of today’s newsy nuggets? Well…

* Taylor Swift will headline Dick Clark’s New Year’s Rockin’ Eve with Ryan Seacrest 2015, airing Dec. 31 at 8/7c on ABC.

* During Prince’s Nov. 1 appearance on Saturday Night Live, the legendary musician will give one eight-minute performance, rather than perform two separate songs throughout the show, Billboard is reporting. He’ll be joined by his band 3rdeyegirl.

NCIS star Mark Harmon is developing a new drama for The CW called Shakespeare’s Sisters, according to THRSisters will chronicle the playwright’s early years, as he becomes entangled with Queen Elizabeth and a trio of witches.

1. What’s infamous about Linda Park? heh

2. Tran says:

Hope T. Swift is going to “shake it off” on New Year’s Eve.

3. Jared says:

Love Malese Jow. Happy to see she’ll be staying in The CW family.

4. Fan says:

Linda Park is Wally West’s love interest. Barry’s run has plenty of characters they could have used. So why steal from Wally?

• Yeah, that part is lame. Maybe there just aren’t enough female characters in Barry’s story to create romantic conflict between him and Iris (the whole “will they/won’t they” cliche that forces shows to create artificial conflict to keep the female and male leads apart as long as possible).

• Drew says:

I agree. But Wally has been getting the short end of the stick for a while now. Even in the comics, I hear that they’ve done away with the character and if he ever appears again, he will be an entirely new character with the Wally West name slapped on him. The guy gets less respect than Rodney Dangerfield.

• Wally already re-appeared in the comics. He’s now a black kid who gets in trouble with the police (because that’s not a cliche).

• Drew says:

Has he? I’ve lost track of the comics. But turning him black just makes him an entirely new character with the name thrown in for looks. I thought the new 52 idea was supposed to be the same characters, retooled.
          On behalf of redheads, I am highly offended that they took away one of the strongest role models and iconic comic book characters for redheaded people.

• A lot of the New 52 has been “modernized”, younger (more hip) versions. That includes Wally being african-american as well as a whole “no marriage” policy for all of the DC characters. Which is why they did away with Lois & Clark and Barry & Iris as well as cancelling Batwoman & Maggie Sawyer’s nuptials

• Rob Watkins says:

I hope you are kidding about the strong role models for red heads.

• Drew says:

When I was younger and hipper, I was still the same race that I am now.
            Wally being another race just makes him an entirely new character. I get wanting to have more diversity, but that is what new characters are for. Taking a well established character who has been a huge part of the DC universe for decades and changing him so radically makes no sense.
            I lost track of the storylines a few years ago and tried to pick them back up later. With all of the crossover nonsense, I just gave up. The comics are a mess, but I’ve been happy with the TV shows and movies lately. Guess I will stick to those.

• Drew says:

I am partially kidding about the role model thing. They changed him so they could have a new role model for a minority group. In doing so, they took away a character that represented a group that makes up a very small percentage of the population and who are often the subject of jokes and bullying.

I don’t really really care about the role model issue either way. I find it more offensive that they would completely change a major character like that. However, if we are going to use their mentality for making that absurd move, it makes no sense to do it with that character in particular. Wally West is an iconic comic book redhead and redheads make up about 2% of the population.

5. Ginger says:

I’m tired of the stunt casting for this show. One too many lackluster WB favorites, casting people just because they were on the campy 90s show, someone is a prison break fan, and on top of that forced crossovers with Arrow.

6. Josh says:

Linda Park? Wally West’s lady love? I get they’re sort of making Barry a mix of Barry/Wally/Bart but why? Do they plan on introducing Wally for her later?

Also we’ve got Iris and we’ve got Caitlin and we’ve got Felicity Barry is supposed to be somewhat nerdy. He doesn’t need four maybe love interests in one season.

• I don’t see how this version of Barry is a mix of Barry/Wally/Bart…Bart was from the 31st century and Wally was Iris’ nephew. This is all Barry in it. The original series was definitely a mix of Barry and Wally with Tina McGee being Barry’s confidante/science advisor, but even they strayed by making her a possible love interest

7. Linda appeared in the pilot episode, she was an older woman (Mid 30s?). Yeah, in the comics she’s been Wally’s love interest, as well as his eventual wife. Since Iris has apparently friendzoned Barry, they should bring in Patty Spivot, Barry’s current girlfriend in the comics AND she’s in the know as to the powers and costume and stuff.

8. ninamags says:

I guess they figure that with the popularity of Reign, that period of time is ripe for exploitation.

Sounds interest, I guess, especially coming from Mark Harmon.

9. Kay says:

Wish Malese could have stayed on Vampire Diaries as Jeremy’s love interest, so Bonnie could get a better guy…..

• Letti says:

I agree so much… Jeremy was only likeable when he was with Anna, and hey Jer cheated on Bonnie with Anna, and now it looks like they have forgotten about it. Bonnie would deserve much better. But I guess she’ll never get it.

10. Temperance says:

Jow is actually very charming, so she’d be a great fit for Flash. I think she’s finally got a gig that will stick around.