Jane the Virgin Recap: The First Time?

Jane the Virgin Season 1 Recap

Is Jane a virgin no more?

On Monday’s episode of the CW series, the titular heroine has an epiphany: she’s unmarried and pregnant — her worst fear come true — so why wait to have sex, especially when she’s found the guy she plans to spend the rest of her life with?

RELATED The CW Grants Full-Season Orders to The Flash, Jane the Virgin

Needless to say, her fiancé Michael is into the idea, and the big night is scheduled for at the hotel’s presidential suite (a gift from Petra). “Are you nervous?” he asks Jane in the next scene. “It’ll be quick, I promise. In and out.”

“Will you come with me?” she replies.

As you might have guessed by now, they aren’t talking about sex, but her witness statement about Zazo’s death. It’s the first of many clever moments playing on the elephant in the room. Another finds the following prerecorded hotel video message, delivered by Rafael, interrupting Jane and Michael’s steamy work-up to the main event: “Thank you for coming. If it’s your first time, we hope it’s an experience you never forget. Let us fulfill your every need. I’m Rafael Solano, and your pleasure is my pleasure.”

But before Jane and Michael even make it to the suite, she sees him with Petra outside the crime scene. When she confronts him about the encounter, he dismisses her because she’s “like hormonal.” Dude, you are so not getting laid now. Jane decides to sneak into Petra’s room to find out what the pill was that she spotted her taking earlier. They were Xanax, Petra explains when she catches Jane. Then she wins Jane over – and bring her to tears! – by showing her the baby’s nursery.

With that fight resolved, the big night is back on – after church, of course. Sitting between her mother and Abuela at mass, Jane starts to imagine that the priest is talking directly to her about her lie of omission to her grandmother. Then the choir comically breaks into song about her plans for the evening until Jane finally blurts out, “I’m going to have sex with Michael tonight!” Xo’s response is much happier than Abuela’s: “Hallelujah!”

She’s not seeking anyone’s approval, Jane informs her family before heading off to do the deed. Things start out well enough – they’re in a romantic suite, Michael is caring – but that hotel video only reminds Jane of her growing feelings for Rafael. Plus, Louisa – desperate not to get caught by her dad while having an affair with his new wife/her ex – pulls a fire alarm. Taking in the signs, Jane and Michael decide not to consummate their relationship, but instead move up their wedding – to next week!

Elsewhere in the episode:

Jane the Virgin Season 1 Recap* Those growing feelings for Rafael? I would be having them, too, if I shared a dance like the one Raf and Jane do. These two also seem to connect on another level. When Jane comments on his actions, inspiring him to do what’s right, and warns that he may end up with a judge-y kid, Raf sweetly replies that he hopes that’s true.

* Michael discovers Petra’s alibi is a lie. She was actually in a stairwell before Zazo’s murder, but she can’t say why. Theories?

* Rafael starts to put two and two together when Petra refers to Zazo’s brother by name, revealing just how close the two of them were.

* Abuela somehow gets on the lot where Rogelio’s telenovela films – hello, security?! – to tell him to stay away from Jane, but ends up getting swept away by him. Stand strong, Abuela!

Jane the Virgin fans, what did you think of the episode? Should Jane and Michael just do it? Or are you rooting for her and Rafael? (Prepare to become even more torn after next week’s episode.)

1. V says:

LOVE the chemistry between Rafael and Jane; the tension is so palpable even when they’re just having a tiny moment. Also, Gina makes Jane’s growing attraction towards Rafael so believable and lovely. Those two are perfect!

2. Juan says:

Love his show. 2nd fav of season.

3. Sutton says:

Love this show so much, and the chemistry between Jane and Rafael is INSANE!!!

4. Anna says:

God, I didn’t think I’d love this show so much. The characters are all so sweet & the narrator is basically the best thing ever. I love that the show doesn’t take itself seriously at all. Only thing I don’t like is that Jane is probably gonna end up with Rafael & Michael’s really sweet and very in love with her, so that kinda makes me dislike Rafael.

• YJ says:

Seriously??? Micheal’s constant lies is starting to get on my nerves. Dude’s watching out for himself to an extend that its gonna cost him Jane. And am sure Petra’s gonna end up messing his life up, professional and romantically.

• Valerie says:

I’m totally with you on that one. I really start to dislike him big time… he’s very self centered. He thinks about himself before thinking of Jane and what is best for her and what she really wants. The same can’t be said about Rafael who wasn’t even going to tell Jane that the baby was his only chance to have a biological child…

5. danny says:

Dang it! Why can’t I ever remember this show is on. Hope they rerun it on Friday again like last week.

6. loopychew says:

That choir scene is pretty much my favorite thing on TV this season.

Having not watched Ugly Betty or any actual telenovelas, can someone tell me if they usually like bending the fourth wall this much? This seems more like a television show about how these people are trapped in a telenovela than it does a telenovela itself.

I love how the line “your mother who is in a wheelchair and absolutely positively cannot get out of it and walk and use the stairs and be an extremely evil woman” somehow manages to be delivered in a way that makes it stand out but simultaneously not in a way that makes it stand out. This show knows how to walk the line between preposterous and way too preposterous.

• James says:

The average telenovela don’t really break the fourth wall in their narrative but camp is a constant element, however. Telenovela comedies show it more often while the more melodramatic doesn’t try to hide it even though they’re supposed to be taken seriously by viewers.

Check out clips of those soaps featured on The Soup. :)

7. Carol C says:

Love this show, too, much more than I expected.

8. Morgan says:

Love this show-it’s so endearing, and Jane and Rafael are amazing together. The recorded video turning on in the bedroom was hilarious

9. Danielle H. says:

I am shocked at how much I love this show. It is sweet, humorous, fun, and layered. There are so many things going on , but the awesome narrator keeps u in the loop. The only thing that irks me is Michael, but his character is supposed to be somewhat unlikable I would think. Hope this one makes it to S2!

10. James says:

The homily scene got me bursting into laughter. :))

11. LT says:

I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW!!!!!

12. Cate53 says:

This is such a fun show! Yes, the tone is very Ugly Betty, but the characters are likable and the storyline is huge daft fun! Also nice to see Flaca from OITNB!

13. jean kane says:

Does anyone know the name of the song that Jane and Rafael dance to at Zaz’s memorial? I love it and I must have it. Also,I love this show.

• literandy says:

It is called ‘Desde que te fuiste’ by Cosme. LOVED that scene, love the show, hope it doesn’t get cancelled.

“Rogelio de la Vega
      de la Vega
      RogeliodelaVega”

Hahaha.

14. rachelle says:

I’m gonna jump on the bandwagon and say I love this show! When I first heard of the premise, I was interested, but I have this weird thing where I don’t watch new shows unless I know for a fact that they have been renewed. But I just couldn’t help it with this show! I caught up to the first 3 episodes and now I am totally in love! It’s so cute and funny and sweet and the actors are so good and so much fun and I just really, really like it. Jane and Rafael are just so freaking adorable! Their chemistry is beautiful. Fingers crossed that this show gets renewed!

15. Regina says:

I hope she can get a Golden Globe nom… she’s really good and deserves!

16. Bob Ster says:

I wouldn’t touch mystery meat.