DWTS Week 7 Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home? (Um, No)

BETHANY MOTA, DEREK HOUGH

Things got downright spooky on Week 7 of Dancing With the Stars, as the final eight couples performed both individual and team dances. It was a freestyle fright night of sorts — starring TeamCreepy versus TeamItsyBitsy — and we faced the prospect of Michael Waltrip and Tommy Chong surviving yet another week. Now that’s what I call scary!

That said, popping back to the ballroom to say “boo” on this Halloween-themed live show were returning head judge Len Goodman (who else has missed the prospect of a “10 from Len” during his latest hiatus?) and co-host Erin Andrews (back from World Series duty on Fox), plus spine-tingling performances by breakout artist Ella Henderson (“Ghost”) and the ever-fabulous Nikki Yanofsky (“Necessary Evil”).

Let’s high-kick right to the highlights:

DANCE OF THE NIGHT | Bethany Mota and pro Derek Hough: In her wildly dramatic, drum-infused lady-in-red Paso Doble, Bethany rocked a Maleficent-style (is that what it was?) horned coif you had to see to believe. But her intensity and fleet feet grabbed the most attention. Bruno loved it, calling the duo “the embodiment of the flames of passion … absolutely fantastic!” Len called it a “spectacular number” but grumped about wanting to see more Paso Doble and less over-the-top theatricality. Julianne disagreed, saying the Halloween theme didn’t detract from the dance at all, and noted Bethany really “nailed it.” There was no “10 from Len” (he held out with a ‘9’), but the dance earned a trio of perfect paddles from the other judges.

RUNNER-UP FOR DANCE OF THE NIGHT | TeamItsyBitsy (Bethany & Derek, Janel & Val, Lea & Artem, Michael & Emma): This spectacularly synced freestyle dance may have ended with everyone stuck in a gigantic spider web, but it was anything but sticky. Len enthused that it was a “great routine and you danced it beautifully,” while Carrie Ann offered up some special praise for Michael, who “didn’t make anybody look bad.” That string of 9s from the judges didn’t look bad, either.

CHERYL BURKE, ANTONIO SABATO JR.MOST CRIMINALLY UNDERSCORED | Antonio Sabato, Jr. and pro Cheryl Burke: Though this spooky Viennese Waltz was aimed at casting a spell on Len, Antonio’s sexy but stilted performance fizzled with the judges, and especially Carrie Ann (“I don’t think the spell worked”), who doled out a dismal ‘6’ and said he was uncomfortable to watch. A trio of unenthusiastic 7s was more expected, but what’s up with that, Carrie Ann?

WORST OF THE NIGHT | Michael Waltrip and pro Emma Slater: This country-themed, cringe-worthy jive generated the scariest comments of the night. Len declared Michael was “running on empty” by even making it to week 7, while Julianne used an apt Halloween-inspired description, simply calling it a “nightmare.” Bruno even wondered if Michael would make the DWTS history books: “I think you’ve broken the records actually of being off-time.” Carrie Ann simply called it “sad” and unsurprisingly, so were the scores, which included across the board 5s from the judges.

And now, the results…

FINAL FOUR COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Antonio Sabato, Jr. and pro Cheryl Burke
Tommy Chong and pro Peta Meurgatroyd
Alfonso Ribeiro and pro Witney Carson
Sadie Robertson and pro Mark Ballas

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Antonio Sabato, Jr. and pro Cheryl Burke
Tommy Chong and pro Peta Meurgatroyd

ELIMINATED
Antonio Sabato, Jr. and pro Cheryl Burke

“I was able to dance with one of the best dancers in the world … it’s all about the fans, and that’s why I’m here,” said a gracious and shirtless Antonio of his experience — and the opportunity to dance with Cheryl, who added, “It’s so sad for me to say goodbye.” We couldn’t agree more, girlfriend!

And with that, it’s your turn. Did the right couple really go home? Sound off in the comments!

1. No. As much as I like Michael and Tommy, they need to go. They aren’t up to the level of anyone else there, so as entertaining as they might be sometimes, keeping them in the competition isn’t fair to the other dancers, who are much more talented. Antonio wasn’t the best on the show, but he’s better than the other two… I’m sorry to see him go.

• jose says:

Well. Said.

• LLA says:

Tommy Chong is 76–so I hardly think he can keep up w/ teens. He also doesn’t have a dance background like a some of the others ( who happen to be generation or 2 younger) I think he’s doing a great job. He has improved and is entertaining. I hope he stays in there for awhile.

2. Lisa says:

I believe the wrong couple went home. Michael Waltrip is likeable, but as a dancer he really hasn’t progressed. I have to say, although his improvement has been slow, Antonio Sabato Jr. HAS made some improvements, so it’s kinda sad to see him go.

3. Tran says:

Blame it on the voters to keep Michael Waltrip for another week.

• M3rc Nate says:

Yup, my sister told me about him still being on and she was shocked, i was like “I’m not, i called it at the beginning of the season, he’s gonna be on for a long time due to his southern/red-state supporters (aka nascar fans and in general southerners). They will vote not based on merit but in blind support of their fellow southern hero.”

This isn’t even a Sanjaya situation where enough voters were trolling American Idol by voting him through consistently even though he was obviously a bad singer, this is just straight up half the country voting for a guy cause hes southern and they are too.

• lawman says:

Stereotype much? I’m one of those southerners you seem too have so much disdain for who votes on merit. And do some research on NASCAR (of which I’m not a fan), it has a large following in the northern “blue states” as well.

You were supposef to “talk smart about TV. I’d give you a score of 4 for your post because it falls so short, like Michael’s dancing skills.

• A fan says:

You sound like an idiot to make such statements. The South isn’t just one block of peolpe all thinking the same, for goodness sake! Actually most of us have no interest in NASCAR and are capable of voting on talent rather than regional factors.

• les says:

LOL, I wouldn’t say “most”, try “a few”, and then you’d be right on point.

• A fan says:

I’ve lived in the South all my life and I don’t know anyone who follows NASCAR. Obviously some do but it’s far from being the norm. That’s a stereotype.

• Are you kidding? says:

Oh, right! Since we’re all Bible- thumping rednecks we’re torn between the NASCAR driver and the Duck Dynasty girl. People are so easy to figure out!

• jose says:

True. Nothing against him.

4. S says:

Cheryl said this would be her last season because she wants to explore other opportunities, it’s so sad she is out already!

5. FC says:

Ridiculous Results!!! UGH!

6. TVEye says:

Ever since Cheryl won with the country singer and football player, DWTS have given her ‘duds’ to dance with. On the other hand, Derek gets the ladies with dancing experience – from Flashdance, Pussycat Dolls, and Disney…. I don’t watch DWTS anymore since they canned Burke and the live musicians….

• Betty says:

Derek knows how to make his partner look good. He is also a terrific choreorapher! ….With an Emmy to show for it. He came in second place with a partner that danced with 2 prosthetic legs! I also think the judges were too harse with their criticism of Antonio Sabato. He danced by far better than Tommy or Michael. Their harse criticism almost seemed mean and makes the fence sitters vote that way.

• Dody says:

Derek is not the only one who makes his partner look good. I believe Derek has certain things in his contract that the other pros do not and that’s why Maks leaves and probably Cheryl. I absolutely agree with what TVEye said.

• Atticus1 says:

I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Antonio looked like he had potential, but he turned out to be a bit stiff.

• KatsMom says:

Yep, Gilles Marini was a real dud.

7. Sarah says:

Antonio n Cheryl deserved to stay a couple more weeks!!! Judges were way to tough on Antonio n easier on Michael n Tommy who should’ve been eliminated before Antonio.

• Bryan says:

Well, I don’t think the judges were easy on Michael, they gave him across the board 5s versus 6-7 for Antonio. Michael has a larger fan base than Antonio does, so Michael keeps advancing. At some point in time, the fan base won’t be able to overcome his dancing abilities. If for some reason his fan base is large enough to make it to the end, ABC will have a problem on their hands. Michael being in the final four will turn off so many fans of the show that they’ll tune out next spring, amd ABC does not want that to happen.

8. Melanie says:

I’ve been waiting for Antonio to go home. I think he isn’t any better at dancing then michael or tommy but also lacks personality. I won’t miss him next week, that’s for sure!

9. Joe says:

It all depends on how strong your fan base is. Tough to beat NASCAR and Cheech and Chong.

10. jane says:

I think Cheryl & Antonio should not have been voted off yet. Michael should have been gone long ago then Tommy. It needs to stop being a popularity contest and actually judged on their dancing ability or lack of.

11. Andrea says:

Dear NASCAR fans,
    I know you like Michael and he’s representing your community but spare us (and him) any more misery and quit voting for him. He cannot dance. He knows he can’t dance. While I recognize this is a popularity contest with some dancing thrown in, there are some of us out there that really do prefer to watch actual dancing. I’m sure he’s an excellent driver and if there’s ever a reality show with people driving really fast in circles we’ll all send votes his way. Pinky swear. But make him stop dancing ASAP.

12. Sable Senegal says:

Popularity shouldn’t overrule good dancing.wonder will that affect the judges votes next week?

13. Kicks says:

I was enjoying the show but it’s starting to get contrived again. Michael should have been the first one gone. He’s not funny in my opinion. The bottom 4 was put there because they were in groups but I don’t believe it was an accurate bottom 4. Len annoys me and I actually liked it better without him. Get rid of him and Julianne Hough and you have a better show.

• Regina Haney says:

My pet peeve has always been Len Goodman….I loved the show while he was gone….Julianne isn’t afraid to disagree with the seasoned judges….When there seems to be a fans’ favorite, it has been a tendency for the judges to make sure they score low enough to get the boot….For instance, Ralph Macchio…Julianne and Bruno stay… other two need to go….I also did not like it when they let Brook, the previous band and singers go….Dances are getting old….I would not know a paso from a doble….Get with the times.

14. Awesome things here. I’m very happy to peer your article.

Thanks so much and I’m taking a look ahead to touch you.
    Will you please drop me a e-mail?

15. Gigi says:

No it should have been Michael and Emma, Tommy and Peta the four worst couples. I think it’s time to take DWTS off

16. Norma says:

I also feel Michael should have been out by now…most of the time he just stands there while his partner performs all the dance moves mostly alone. She was great, he has no dancing abilities, enough now.

17. José Ayala says:

I can’t understand how Michael Waltrip has made it to week 8. The guy should have been gone since week 1. Obviously the Nascar fans are keeping him on the show. Saying he is running on empty is an understatement the guy is running on fumes

18. Dave Trotter says:

Sad that TV has turned into watching untalented or B list actors and sports personnel drive a popularity contest each and every week as “How Can You Be” continues.

19. Sweetpea says:

This reviewer is obviously a Derek homer because his dance with Bethany was more drums than dance and Team Creepy had a much better dance than Team ItsyBitsy. DWTS has gone off the rails with the blatant favoritism for him now and it’s pointless to watch. No freaking way that dance deserved almost a perfect score when they underscored Lea, Alfonso, Sadie, and Janel! Most of the judges said they liked the second group better but gave the better score to Derek because God forbid he actually lose at a group dance! Ugh, ugh, ugh! Can’t stand the Hough’s and their gigantic egos! And who in the crap is voting for Michael?? He’s just horrible!

• Verity says:

I couldn’t agree more!!! Everyone kept saying “you know Derek has never lost a team dance” and then they give Team itsyBitsy 9’s!! It’s obvious who was going to win even before they danced! I liked Team Creepy WAY better, atleast they had a creative theme. Go Alfonso!!!!!!

• nin says:

Everyone listen to Sweetpea she has nailed it head on. What the hell are we watching Micheal and Tommy for, Antonio and Jonathan should have stayed longer than those two phonies. this is about the dance not a popularity show with two stiffs,they’re just a couple of wanna be’s. And judges stop showing your favortism towards Derek enough already he’s not going to pay your salaries.

20. Deanta says:

Has Micheal ever gotten an 8? Seems like he usually gets 5’s and 6’s, maybe a 7 once! I agree it doesn’t seem he’s progressed almost at all.

21. Iakovos says:

Why is Waltrip still in this mix? Others cast away showed more potential. Chong, too, should, be on his way.

• nin says:

It is so disgusting to watch Michael and Tommy. And I’m not liking Micheal kissing and head hugging Emma all the time like their in love. That Tommy guy too, I don’t like his nose rubbing and rubbing his head up to Peta’s breast. Those to guys are absurd. So is that Lea Thompson and her whining all the time.

22. LuRe says:

It just goes to show that the viewers votes make a difference. Michael must have a huge fan base and if I were him I would be ashamed to still be there. He should vote himself off the show. He should have done that three weeks agol.

23. Robby Tisci says:

My wife and I have never missed a show and we ballroom danced for years. This show is a celebrity contest! You can be the worst and you will go far but, eventually, you will be eliminated. I think the besy dancer has always come out on top!!!

24. Moe says:

Michael should have gone this week then Antonio next week,Michael and Antonio no bounce in their steps,they both walk though their dancing,Tommy though not all that good at least he does have a little bounce and movement in his dancing,after that it’s gonna be tough.

25. mary versemann says:

I think the judges were unysually harah in some of their comments

26. Bryan says:

I’ll put this out there. Why don’t they have judges scores equal 2/3 and voting equal 1/3? You’d still have the popularity aspect of it, but you’d get the judges to have more say in what is actually good.

In season’s past, people have advanced that I’ve never heard of (I don’t have kids, so ai lose the Disney connection some of you might have) but I’m glad they advanced, Zandaya was a gal I was glad made it as far as she did, but I have no idea how big her fan base is.

If michael advances much further, I wonder if he’ll develop am ‘injury’ amd need to withdraw from the competition, alá Dorothy Hamilton.

27. People need to stop voting for Michael Waltrip. I would say the judges need to break out the 4, 3 and 2 panels but I’m pretty sure with the way the scoring works now last place is last place and gets the same percentage.

Please America, send Michael and Tommy home next.

28. Kim Kwok says:

Alfonso and Witney were in jeopardy? How? I thought they did awesome last week since Alfonso had the groin injury and in dress rehearsal Witney got the back injury. I mean a 39 is not bad at all!

• Leonie says:

I assume that the producers arranged the members of Team Itsy Bitsy safe & the members of Team Creepy in jeopardy :(

29. Linda Temple says:

I never realised what a “potty mouth” Cheryl has. It has diminished my like of her. I will not miss her.

• Tess says:

I think cheryl is fed up with all the harsh comments from the judges, what makes these judges think they’re better than everybody. discrimination is pretty obvious!

30. Mel says:

These judges always scored him low – he was better than Tommy (he can not move) and Michael (he who cant move 2). I can not beliee that they let him go before these two. I vote and this is crazy. Beginning to hate the show for this type of loss when these other two stay. Awful

31. Merilee01 says:

Everyone needs to remember this is an entertainment show & all of our votes are keeping people in as well as voting them out. Key words here: entertainment & fan base. I like Sadie & Alfonso.

32. LMos s says:

They got it wrong but so were da jeopardy couples. Lets blame it on Halloween

33. Loretta Hay says:

Love Michael, but, he did not perform well at all. Give him credit for trying……

34. r campbell says:

No. Should gave been Michael or Tommy.

35. Mary Koenig says:

No. Way. S/b Tommy Chong. Cheryl deserved to stay

36. sharon says:

Michael waltrip should have been gone before the older lady. She could dance. He has a better fan base that dont know how to judge good dancing.

• sharon says:

Tommy moves a little better than Waltrip but they both should have been gone long ago. If u really enjoy the show please vote for the ones that are good. Make the show more entertaining. I love this show but not right now

37. nin says:

What’s with Artem, doesn’t he have a girlfriend? It looks like he’s starting to fall for that cougar, Lea Thompson, he must be desperate. Can’t stand Lea and her whining, and I don’t like her legs and her make up. Looks like a hooker.

38. roxy says:

Why have the judges become so cruel… the bad dancers are going so why do they have to rub acid to the wounds. Can use of break from seeing and hearing cari ann and heough go on and on and then give such low ratings

39. Tess says:

Antonio and Cheryl should not have been the first one to leave ..I really think that DWT had been very hard on cheryl Burke the last couple of season since she won the trophy twice. It’s very obvious that they play favorites on the show. Derek always seems to get the best star dancer while cheryl almost always seems to be paired with stars who either old or novice when it comes to dancing… We also noticed that judges were always harsh on cheryl whenevee they make comments. And what makes julliana qualify to be a judge , because she’s white like Derek? I stopped watching DWT because of all these reasons!

40. Lee Weiss says:

The judges are focusing on the quality of the dance, which is as it should be. I sometimes wonder if the fans go by their favorite star rather than the dancing talent. The talent this season was incredible and I would have no way of guessing who the winner would be because all three finalists were amazing! I loved the show and any of the three would have desired to win. I’m really happy for Alfonso.