Jim Carrey Hosts SNL: Watch Video of the Best and Worst Sketches

jim-carrey-saturday-night-live-snl-host-video-recap

Despite a recent onslaught of groan-inducing trailers for Dumb and Dumber To, expectations were high for rubber-faced funnyman (and In Living Color vet) Jim Carrey’s return to Studio 8H for a third crack at hosting Saturday Night Live.

Ultimately, despite an uninspired “Ebola Czar” cold open – Kenan Thompson’s mildly amusing Al Sharpton was a minor highlight in an otherwise forced, dull take on the current virus hysteria – the show’s best moments helped make Carrey’s return a fairly memorable one.

Here are my picks for best and worst sketches of the night:

Best: Matthew McConaughey for Lincoln
I had to do a double take during the first few seconds of this dead-on parody of McConaughey’s recent, head-scratching foray into car commercials. Carrey’s astounding take on the Oscar winner’s smooth Southern twang and dark, self-serious tone (and even his perfectly swooped-back coif) were eerily accurate, and his pitch-perfect voiceovers were scathing (and hilarious). Whether pondering his agent’s advice (“I can understand if you did this right after The Lincoln Lawyer”) or debating life’s important questions (“Who am I? Why am I here? When I’m done rolling up this booger, should I eat it or throw it out the window?”) Carrey’s filmed segments – which continued throughout the show — were truly inspired. Don’t miss the last segment showing Carrey mowing down the Allstate Insurance guy — instant classic alert!

Best: “Drunk Uncle” on Weekend Update
Cocktail glass not-so-firmly in hand, Bobby Moynihan’s wild-eyed, highly soused fave swooped in just in time to invigorate an otherwise wobbly “Weekend Update.” Whether mistaking co-anchor Michael Che for an NBC elevator operator (“I’m sorry, 5th floor please”), ranting about the decline of Halloween (“When I was a kid, monsters were men… nowadays it’s just, ‘trick or treat, can you put some Goji berries in my drop box, please?’”) or singing several unexpected bars of Billy Ocean’s “Caribbean Queen,” Moynihan was a booze-fueled delight. Plus, anyone who references Viola Davis’ How to Get Away With Murder and Fitbit (“the only damn exercise I get is chasing those damn gypsies off my lawn!”) in the same sketch automatically wins the night.

Best: Carrey Family Reunion
OK, this sketch was little more than a roast/homage of Carrey’s most iconic screen personas. But the mere sight of that smokin’ green mask, the cable guy, and the Riddler – not to mention a walk-on by none other than Carrey’s Dumb co-star Jeff Daniels – made this sketch a nostalgia-driven, joyful (if slightly predictable) highlight. “Allllll-righty then!”

Worst: Opening Monologue/Hellvis
Despite the initially amusing (or was it just jarring?) visual spectacle of Carrey decked out as Hellvis (picture a ’70s era Elvis with curly horns and red jumpsuit), this tedious “Jailhouse Rock”–style ditty made me never want to touch another pecan pie as long as I live. Or maybe it was just the sight of Carrey actually spitting it out (“that’s lemon pie, man!”) onstage, before half-heartedly encouraging everyone to sing yet another “Pecan Pie” chorus. Make it stop already!

Worst: Zombie Apocolypse
Sure, some semblance of a zombie sketch was a certainty for a Halloween show, but this epic disaster featuring a bat-wielding Carrey beating on zombie-fied son Pete Davidson (not to mention one very lame jab at Brian Williams) was a comedic horror show.

What did you think of this week’s SNL? How would you rate Carrey as a host? What was your favorite sketch? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. OhMy says:

I’ve seen worse.

2. Sophie says:

The Chandelier bit had me in tears, and the Lincoln ad was one of the best shorts ever. The Haunted House was really boring and the kids digital short too.

• Outis says:

Yea, not sure how the writer doesn’t have the Chandelier skit in there. That was funny and must have been exhausting. Carrey’s still got it when he wants to. Iggy Azalea?? Well, at least you looked good….

• Alichat says:

I thought the haunted house skit was funny, but it could have been funnier. At first, upon seeing Taran Killam’s wig, I thought they were going to spoof Sleepy Hollow. I think that would have been funny. The Chandelier skit and the Lincoln ads had me laughing the hardest.

• DL says:

What I thought was missing from the haunted house sketch was Carrey, possibly as some kind of wacky psychic. That would’ve made it for me. Leslie Jones was still funny in it though.

3. DL says:

Best SNL in years, for me. Even the sketches that didn’t quite hit, like the graveyard singalong, had moments that made me crack up. The Lincoln ads were phenomenal, and the Chandelier bit at the end was incredible, not just funny, but made me really happy for its sheer exuberance and silliness. Majors props to Carrey and McKinnon on that one.

4. April says:

I fast forwarded through so much of last night’s episode… The Carrey Family reunion sketch is just a total rip off of the Christopher walker family reunion sketch, which was actually funny. I don’t think I laughed at Jim Carrey at all except for the Lincoln Car Sketches.

5. Stacie says:

Disappointed the Chandeiler dance off didn’t get a mention. After the Carey Family Reunion sketch that was my favorite. It was hysterical!

6. Tran says:

I give the Jim Carrey episode of SNL a B. New cast member Leslie Jones in my opinion is destined to be a breakout star this season.

7. Jesse says:

The Chandelier skit/dance-off with Jim Carrey and Kate McKinnon was far and away the best sketch I’ve seen on SNL all season. Post it please! :-)

8. GuessWhat says:

Think I will have an unpopular opinion here — but I honestly didn’t think last night’s ep was that much better than any other show the last few years. Overall, really awful. This show needs a huge overhaul. After reading comments here, I think either the bar is set so low — many of you are just ok with this dreck. OR none of you were around for the past glory days when talent was there. I admittedly still watch out of habit — and last night started midway after baseball ended (but after, went back to watch beginning I had DVR’d). So at about 1:30am, I caught myself wondering — why am I still DVRing this show? Not a good sign.

• DL says:

I first started watching as a teenager during the era of Will Ferrell, Chris Kattan, Cheri Oteri, etc., so those are the glory days for me, the ones for which I hold great nostalgia. These days, the SNL writers don’t know how to end sketches very well, and while I’ll admit that a lot of last night’s bits had that issue, the episode as a whole had me laughing out loud quite a lot. I don’t think you can really set a bar for laughter; either something tickles your funny bone, or it doesn’t. Last night’s episode did it for me, in spades.

• Marc says:

I’ve been watching over 30 years–I started watching after Jean Doumanian was fired, and not knowing when to end a sketch has always been a problem. I’d blame Lorne but it was a problem under Ebersol as well. I suspect that the writers’ pitch concepts, not full sketches, and they go with the funnier ones regardless of whether they have a decent ending. I’ve long given up on expecting good endings.

• Walter says:

I complete agree. Carrey did the best he could with the material, but when the material is subpar, there’s only so much you can do. Jost is a failure as head writer and as WU host. He needs to go – NOW.

• S. says:

That’s not really how the SNL head writer works. It’s more of an administrative liaison between Lorne and the writing staff. Jost isn’t writing or selecting most sketches in the show and he’s not sitting in a room as monkeys with typewriters churn things out for him to approve or not, having his artistic voice put out into the world through them. These writers are actually pretty talented and they bring stuff in for others to weed out, but Colin’s doing things like seeing where there are gaps in the show and trying to fill them. Personally I thought Carrey’s episode was mediocre for what he brings to the table as a sketch comedian. Bill Hader’s was brilliant. Kinda wish he’d been this week and we’d gotten a Vincent Price Halloween sketch with Jon Hamm and Fred Armisen as cameos. Wiig was already there. Shame the lack of a decent musical guest doomed his ep in the ratings. At least we got Stefon, the puppets sketch, and Herb Welch.

• Jack says:

Jost does not write the sketches.

9. jo jo jo says:

HILARIOUS. Great show the haunted house shouldn’t have been left out… too funny… but I still can’t stand Colin Jost…

10. Chris says:

I would have to say that last night’s SNL was the worst episode I’ve ever seen. I tried to like it, but it was just not funny. Most of all I blame the writers, the material was just awful!!!

11. jai says:

The Haunted House and Chandelier skits were the best, imo.

12. brooke says:

They are SEVERELY under using Kate McKinnon this year. You want better ratings SNL? GIVE HER MORE SCREEN TIME

13. Toia says:

The family reunion sketch was like nails on the chalkboard. I mean all these years of people who always quote those lines and those who don’t know that we are all so far past that pop culture landmark. It was just grating to me and in no way funny.

The Lincon ad was ok but I wasn’t laughing out loud over it. Well until he he hit the Allstate guy.

Drunk Uncle was in top form. He even made Jost a bit better.

The zombie sketch was not well thought out and went on for to long.

Overall the episode was pretty evern as far as the comedy went I didn’t find myself hating anything as much or often as I have in past episodes. The only real low point was the music act and that is just because I find her to be a silly person not worth my time.

14. Kim R says:

I enjoyed last night pretty much the same way as the recapper. I love me some Drunk Uncle, always. I did laugh at the graveyard sketch (Paul & Phil) as well. I kept thinking the monologue was going to get to some sort of a funny end but nope…it was just not funny. All in all, I gave the episode a B.

15. kelly says:

I thought the chandelier dance was funny.

16. DarkDefender says:

Best:
    Lincoln commercials
    Drunk Uncle
    Carrey family reunion

Worse:
    Michael Che’s delivery of otherwise funny WU jokes
    The Zombie sketch
    Goeff’s Halloween store commercial

• DarkDefender says:

Also Iggy Azalea’s lip-syncing was pretty obvious.

• S. says:

You gotta be kidding. She wasn’t lip syncing. If she had been it would’ve sounded better, for starters. That was a pretty rough performance both times. Rita Ora was obviously live, breathy, but live. The backup singers tried to do Charlie XCX’s “Fancy” hook and it was meh. Iggy Azalea was rapping with a rather high, quick voice that was awkward to listen to. I’m wondering if it was nerves. She most certainly didn’t sound like she was doing a recorded–and actually good–track. You wouldn’t lip sync to a track that bad.

17. Bill says:

How the hell does a “Live” TV show allow their “musical” guest to lip-synch? That girl was horrible anyway.

18. Brandy says:

That Sia video costume sketch had me rolling!

19. Carrey is one of the all time best and unique comics of all time.

20. Tali says:

Some pretty solid sketches Lincoln commercials and Chandelier dance off were my favorites!

21. Jack says:

Am I the only one who has never liked Drunk Uncle?

22. Luis says:

Lincoln ads were classic, the real ads were begging for a parody. The family reunion sketch was a sad reminder of how much funnier work Carrey has done over the past 25 years

23. Bob Lubowitz says:

When is the King going to be given a fitting tribute, and not be made a mockery of ? It appears that both Jimmy Fallon and Jim Carey share a similar disease, and their recent “portrayals” of Elvis are a classic example of cognitive dissonance: they choose to “do” the King, but then choose to turn him into a caricature, with the curled lip and the ridiculous hair. Elvis deserves a true, meaningful tribute, not one that continues to make a joke at his expense. Both Jimmy and Jim should know better! As was said of Hamlet’s father, “take him for all and all, we shall never see his like again”, so too should be the legacy and respect shown for Mr. Elvis Presley.

24. martin rembecki says:

It was an excellent performance. One of the best that I’ve seen in years. Kudos to Jim and the rest of the SNL cast along with the writers. Very good show.