ABC's Manhattan Love Story Is Fall TV Season's First Cancellation

Fall TV Breakout Stars

ABC’s Manhattan Love Story is not getting a happy ending.

RELATED ABC Orders More Castle, Once, Grey’s Anatomy and 4 Other Series

The romantic comedy — which starred Analeigh Tipton and Jake McDorman as a new couple in the Big Apple — has been cancelled, making it the first official victim of the fall TV season.

The internal monologue-heavy rom-com premiered on Oct. 1 to 4.7 million total viewers and a 1.5 rating, and by its fourth outing had dropped to 2.7 mil/0.7. Even more damming, the show was only seeing a 15 percent boost from Live+7 DVR playback — the lowest return of any scripted series this fall.

Next Tuesday, a Halloween special fills ABC’s 8 o’clock hour. Then on Nov. 4, at least, Love Story’s spot will be filled by a second helping of Selfie (which has been averaging 4.1 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in Live+SD, and DVR boosts of 36 percent).

Are you bummed to see Manhattan Love Story reach an early conclusion, or did you predict it would end this way? Drop a comment with your reaction(s) below.

1. The12thDoctor says:

Manhattan Love Story got potential to be good but ended up being a dud. The recent episode was stupid. Pressuring the main characters to have sex makes me tick.

With Manhattan Love Story being cancelled, it makes me concerned about Seflie, its lead in program. The show is slowly becoming good and the leads of Karen Gillan and John Cho made the entire show enjoying to watch. Please don’t cancel Selfie. Give it a couple of more weeks ABC!

• Rand says:

Oh yes this!!! Selfie is gold and I hope the numbers keep ticking up. Karen Gillan is born for this show. Also John Cho.

• Rand says:

p.s. : “Then on Nov. 4, at least, Love Story’s spot will be filled by a second helping of Selfie” Does this mean ABC is burning off Selfie’s episodes?
      I’m scared now.
      Also is Forever up next on the chopping block because Forever is one of the best procedurals I’ve seen. Henry is like the better-far-more-likable-not-sociopathic version of Sherlock.

• Moment says:

Selfies situation is dire too, but given that ABC are airing double episodes to fill the gap, it has time to potentially improve, but even then that’s the longest of longshots.

2. Mari A says:

I liked it. Of course they always cancel things people like and keep some shows on that are awful.

• Zorkel says:

Of course for every show there is someone who likes it. :p

But with its terrible numbers and barely any DVR playback, it clearly wasn’t a winner

• David4 says:

Maybe you just need better taste. lol

• Christina says:

I was in love with this show! I hope they bring it back or another station picks it up!! It’s sooo funny, classy humor and real-life sarcasm. Can’t believe it’s cancelled!

• Ken Nunnemaker says:

I agree this show was funny to me! They give crappy shows forever to take off and finally get good ratings. But when I good fun show doesn’t get good ratings right away they ax it?

3. zac says:

It was doomed even before it started.

4. Anonymous says:

Will the remaining episodes still air, though? Seriously sad news. This show was adorable and funny.

• The12thDoctor says:

That’s my only question about the cancellation. If ABC is not going to air further episodes, then great! I have some vacant slot in my TV schedule.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

See update above. (IOW, no.) — Mgmt.

• Mattie Booker says:

I liked Manhattan Love Story much more than Selfie. Go figure

• charlie says:

agreed! manhattan love story was fun. was it cleverest thing on tv? maybe not. but i did look forward to it each week. selfie is a one trick pony. i had faith in MLS would have more tricks. guess it was only me and 4 other people feeling that way though… ah, well.

• Ken Nunnemaker says:

I started watching because of Analeigh Tipton. Big fan of hers since I saw her on Americas Next Top Model. She has been in several movies since then and she is a great actress! The show was actually cute and FUNNY! I at least hope she gets another series?

5. StephonJS says:

I predicted this. Selfie is next

• Ben says:

Looks like they are deliberately trying to save Selfie. Despite its terrible name, I hope they manage to.

• Dan says:

I watch a lot of comedies, but rarely laugh out loud at them, as much as I sometimes find them amusing and smart or something like that and that’s usually enough for me to keep following. This week, I laughed out loud at Selfie three or four times and was thoroughly amused by the rest, after being just pleased with the first three episodes. They went for broke and it absolutely paid off. That show may be finding its legs quickly and should be watched closely.

• Chris says:

Right on. Selfie has improved each week. ABC needs to give it a full season.

• Ken Nunnemaker says:

I adore Karen Gillan! She is beautiful and has that awesome scottish accent that they should let her use. She’s a great actress but can’t get into the stupidity of this show.

6. Fan says:

That’s too bad, I think this show is adorable

7. PattyStamps says:

I thought it would get cancelled eventually, but was hoping it would last a little longer.

8. J says:

Very upset! This show was getting better and better with each episode. And now we won’t even get the rest of the episodes? How this fun and different show got cancelled before Mulaney is beyond me.

9. I actually liked this show and thought the two leads had good chemistry. However, I couldn’t stand her sister (or whoever it was she was living with)–just so loud and in your face all the time. I knew it would be cancelled, though, with such paltry ratings. I actually liked this more than ‘selfie’.

10. TV Gord says:

Of all of the RomComs launched this fall, I enjoy A to Z those most, but I think it’s doomed, too.

11. Baylink says:

Good.

More available romcom fans to keep A to Z alive.

• Badpenny says:

The problem with A to Z is that we already know the relationship is doomed. So even if it is not cancelled what is season 2 going to be about? New characters going from A to Z?

12. Christy says:

Awwwww. :( I LOVED this show. It was one of my favorites out of the entire pilot season. It was so cute and funny – plus there’s nothing else like it right now. I’m genuinely shocked it’s the first to go. I hope Analeigh Tipton finds a steady home on television, she’s so great.

13. Tran says:

I was right from the beginning that Manhattan Love Story is the first new show of the Fall TV season to get canceled. Really hope Selfie & Forever are next.

• Anonymous says:

Why do you want Forever to be cancelled? I think the show is pretty great. Great chemistry with the leads, supporting characters are strong, the plot is fairly interesting. Despite it having less advertising than others, I think it’s a hit.

• SW says:

I agree. I think out of the new Tuesday shows that ABC premiered this year, Forever is the strongest. It’s a great cast and an interesting concept. I’ve been loving it since the pilot. I hope it doesn’t get canceled, but it probably will.

• Tran says:

Forever still has tough competition against Chicago Fire & POI in the 10 p.m. Tuesday night time slot. Really don’t like Forever ’cause I never watched that show so try not to get mad, whine or complain at me.

• Fran says:

No ones getting mad or whining… Just asking you a legitimate question. Why would you hope that a show you’ve never watched gets canceled? Making predictions on a cancellation is one thing but hoping for it just seems rather bizarre, sorry.

• amorley552014 says:

It is a good show in a bad time slot. The fact that it is doing as well as it is there says a LOT.

• SW says:

Agreed. I’ve been saying for weeks that I think if they’d put it in a different timeslot, it would do better. Even the dreaded Friday would be better, I think – less competition. It also isn’t paired with anything that makes sense on Tuesday. I think if it were somehow paired with Castle, it would do wonders for it.

• peaches says:

Yes I agree with you love Forever

• kim hinton says:

I personally think Forever is like Elementary,Mentalist and Castle.I just became a fan of Castle but I never been a fan of this genre and I think there are to many like it.Plus the story lines are implausible so much so I cant seem to be interested in it..

• John NYC says:

Unless you have a bite of a potential replacement why ever would you care if those shows continue?

Pro tip? Chanege the batteries in your remote.

• Tran says:

Forever doesn’t stand a chance against Chicago Fire & POI in the 10 p.m. Tuesday night time slot. As former WWE superstar Dave Batista would say “deal with it”.

• Badpenny says:

I think Forever has a shot. Why? Because I do not think Castle will be back next year and ABC needs a show with a similar style to fill Castle’s slot. Forever fits that need: female detective with tragic backstory, odd cases with a sense of humor, etc.

• Davis says:

Forever is a very good show. More people should know about it and watch it.

• peaches says:

I love Forever!!!! can’t imagine that being next!

14. Wtactualf says:

I really like Selfie! Hope they don’t cancel it.

15. I tought it was a cute show, the female protagonist was adorable… maybe it could have been better in the long period…

16. Never saw it, but I’ve been a fan of hers since ANTM.

• Ken Nunnemaker says:

I agree. She’s an awesome actress and have been a fan of hers since then also. She should have won on ANTM instead of that other girl. Can’t even remember her name.

17. It was pretty horrible.

Selfie is cute though, so I hope it gets some more time.

18. A says:

I’m sad. This was super cute.

19. analog says:

I liked it but kinda expecting this to happen. I was hoping they’d at least air the finished episodes.

20. Jessie says:

So dissappointed really like this show. Couple has great chemistry and fun to watch the comical budding romance .

21. julia woody says:

Sorry to hear at. It was a refreshing outlook on dating life. The actors were very appealing. What’s surprising is that Selfie is doing as well as it is.

22. Sheldon W. says:

Loved the premise of the show. Too bad the characters just weren’t likable enough to care about.

23. arianeb says:

“internal monologue-heavy” was exactly what was wrong with the show. Works in a 2 hour movie, but not in a weekly series.

24. Liz says:

I expected to hate this, but ended up enjoying it. I loved the leads; and while I’m not surprised by the news, but I’m sorry it’s gone so soon.

25. dkwilley says:

love John Cho, but I thought Manhattan Love Story was way better than selfie…..

26. ggny says:

Selfie is this year Trophy Wife. It will get a full season but probably not another. Sucks for MLS but Analeigh Tipton is a good actress i would see her hitting it big on TV if she finds the right role

27. John NYC says:

Too bad, I liked it. But all those half hour shows I’m sure not getting attached to.

28. desertpoet1 says:

Too bad i enjoyed it. I can’t help but think Forever can’t be far behind. Which is too bad because I really enjoy Forever

29. jayne says:

This is one of the only shows that I have actually been following. Why is it so hated? It’s such a cute show and fun to watch. I’m really sad that this was cancelled.

30. Stormy says:

I won the pool!

31. I did see this coming but I’m sad anyway.

32. ci says:

Didn’t like it. At all. Sad to say I don’t like Marry Me either even though I wanted to like it since it’s from the Happy Endings team (so sad they’re gone but happy to see them again on LOGO). Of all the romcom sitcoms this year I am enjoying A to Z the most. High hopes for its success.

33. David4 says:

I think it’s more shocking that it’s a week before November and we are just now talking about the first cancelation.

• Iam Dwall Russ says:

I think that speaks more to the quality of most of their new shows. It was tough figuring out what sucked the most.

34. dsrbroadway says:

I wonder if part of the issue is that it’s Tuesday night show shot in NYC, much like that lottery show from last season that was the first to be cancelled. Maybe it was too expensive to justify keep going without better ratings? Or ABC just has had no luck with that night in forever.

35. Carrie says:

I’m sad :( I liked that show

36. thisismenow says:

I’m going to stop watching TV lol Every show I watch on ABC ends up getting axed around the time I start watching. The Neighbors (in Season 2), Don’t Trust The B (2 weeks before it was cancelled), Now this. lol Forever is also marked for death now. Watched the last 2 episodes of Almost Human, it got canned. I might be the equivalent of a television Cooler.

37. Hannah says:

Crossing my fingers for Selfie.

38. diane says:

The title took away viewers before it started. Men don’t want to admit to watching a love story…doesn’t matter if it had its funny moments.

39. John says:

First time I’m hearing about this show.

40. scotlore says:

That is disappointing to read that Manhattan Love Story was cancelled.
    I thought it was pretty funny. I was apparently one the scant few that tuned in. Oh well.

41. Graham says:

It is a shame because I think Analeigh Tipton can be a star, She has talent and has a nice look. The writing for this show was real bad.

42. Ez says:

I think Analeigh Tipton was the reason I found this show charming. I hope she finds a new show ASAP.

43. Billie says:

I never watched it. I really love Forever. I hope it does not get cancelled.

44. hipster says:

Dammit. I just lost a bet. Every season, a group of friends pick a show that’ll be axed first. I was almost certain it was going to be ‘Mulaney’. At least I’m not the idiot who picked ‘Black-ish’.

45. RB says:

Dang it! I really liked that show :(

46. Addie says:

I have watched 3 episodes enjoyed the writing and the lead actress. I think it had potential. Where was the PR for this show?

47. Joe Petitjean says:

I like it

48. Morgan says:

Aw. I enjoyed it. Thought it would be cancelled, but I still liked it.

49. Katherine215 says:

So disappointed, I loved this show. I knew it wouldn’t last due to the ratings but I’d hoped they could at least film the 13 episodes. This was my favorite comedy, which apparently says a lot about my sense of humor versus the rest of America’s. :(

• Nichole says:

I’m with you, this was my favourite new sitcom show for this year, actually liked the inner monologue that they had going, just made the show more amusing. What I don’t understand though is why the network do not just show the rest of the episodes, so at least they don’t completely alienate all the people that did actually watch the show. Had felt the last few years that the networks had got that through their thick heads a bit more that pi$$ing off you’re viewers with quick cancellations will only make them more weary of watching a new show before it’s picked up for the full season. I know they have advertisers to appease so they make money, but they do need actual people to watch their networks in the first place!!!

• Moment says:

It wasn’t so much a quick cancelation. The numbers were horrendous and the DVR numbers were bad too. No one was watching the show, there was no potential for growth. The situation is a lot different to a low rated show with a high DVR following that may get a stay of execution.

• kim hinton says:

I really don’t think every American’s household DVR is being counted.Plus 3 shows is not enough.Do they monitor DVR’s thru Nielsen?If so mine wasn’t being monitored. You cant say no one was watching it’s evident that some of us were.I know of other shows (on different networks ) that have a lower viewer rating then this one and they are still on.It’s ABC’s lack of patience to see where it could go ,why couldn’t they have by put it on a different night?I think it could have done well on Friday night right after Last Man Standing.I mean Cristella is still on and to me it’s no where as good as Manhattan Love Story.Have you ever watched the show?

• NW says:

I totally agree… MLS is a great rom com… A to Z is sad and tired… Selfie depends on Dr Who and Star Trek fans!