Once Upon a Time Supersizes November Sweeps Episode

Once Upon a Time Episode 8

Once Upon a Time fans have a little something extra to look forward to this November sweeps.

Series cocreator Adam Horowitz confirmed on Twitter this morning that Season 4’s eighth episode, titled “Smash the Mirror,” will run a full two hours, starting at 8/7c. (Felicity, cancel my church choir practice for that night!)

Horowitz stressed that this “bonus” hour is completely incremental to the season’s 22-episode run (which like Season 3 will air in two 11-episode batches).

UPDATE: ABC has since released a synopsis for the double-dip:

In Arendelle, when the Snow Queen tries to pit Elsa and Anna against each other and it proves more difficult than she anticipates, she takes drastic measures. Meanwhile, in Storybrooke Emma’s powers are out of control and her fear of hurting loved ones pushes her away from everyone she cares about. In her confusion, Emma turns to Gold for help getting her powers under control. Gold tells her about a way to get rid of her powers altogether and Hook tries to put a stop to it. Meanwhile, Regina struggles with her plan to find the author of the storybook until her quest takes an unexpected turn. Robin Hood recruits Will Scarlet to assist him on a mission and Mary Margaret and David search for Emma.

What do you suspect “Smash the Mirror” relates to? Is Sidney Glass’ world about to be shattered? Or could it be in reference to Maleficent, who in her day possessed a compact looking glass and is due to play a role in Season 4B?

1. kd83954 says:

in ADDITION to the 22? methinks this is a very very action packed episode that was impossible for them to trim down to a single episode. i’ll take it!

• Moment says:

It wouldn’t be impossible to trim any script down. That’s what writers do all the time when doing their drafts. All this should tell people is that ABC has a lot of faith in the show to give it an extra episode to tell the story.

• 'A' Has Spoken says:

Well as the article stated, its not really another episode. It’s just one episode, that lasts like 84-88 minutes (an hour with commercials) long.

• Moment says:

Horowitz mentioned on his twitter account that this season will have 23 episodes in response to someone who aimed a question at him. I think it’d be easier to refer to it as Episode 8 Part 1 and Part 2, 2 individual episodes.

2. Mary says:

Probably has to do with Maleficent, as Will Scarlet (aka the Knave) stole a magic mirror from her for his escape to Wonderland from the Enchanted Forest with Anastasia.

3. Larry says:

While it may seem it’s relating to maleficent since will stole a mirror from her, I think it actually related to the snow queen breaking the devil’s mirror from her original fairy tale

4. Grunt says:

I can’t believe nobody made the Snow Queen/mirror shards connection yet ?

5. Name That Tune says:

They can Super Size OUAT all they want.
    But this year, I’ll be watching Sunday Night Football – as the NFL builds towards the playoffs.

Episode 8 will be up against The Patriots vs The Colts (Tom Brady vs Andrew Luck) and The Simpsons.

Episode 9 will be up against The Cowboys vs The Giants

and Episode 10 will be up against The Broncos vs. The Chiefs.

For drama, it’s hard to compete against that.

6. Jeremy says:

So would this be considered two episodes, or one? just curious.

7. Leonardo says:

YAS MORE ONCE IS ALL I NEED IN LIFE ;)

8. toxic says:

Has no one who watches–or writes–about this show ever read Andersen’s Snow Queen? I’m guess that “Smash the Mirror” refers to the mirror in that story.

• swanonahook says:

If you look in the tags on tumblr a lot of people have made predictions including the original fairytale so yes, people HAVE read the story

9. Janey says:

The Snow Queen would be the most obvious connection since her fairy tale is based on a mirror.

10. Lisa says:

I wonder why she goes to Gold and not to Regina.

• Lily says:

Now, that is a good question.

Though, it probably has o do with Regina wanting nothing to do with Emma. Since, Emma was the one who brought Marian back from the past, and is the “cause” of all the current problems in Storybrooke.

11. Len84 says:

Rumple wants Emma’s power – I knew it…
    No way will Hook let him harm Emma and take her magic.
    Love Emma and Hook #CaptainSwan <3

12. sarah says:

I wish so badly somebody would tell us Hook fans in advance, if we will be losing Killian soon. I am so worried he’s about to be the next to go. I lobe it that Can O’Donoghue is on the slow. It is why I watch. I wish so bad, that somebody who really knows would tell us, if Colin is leaving Once. I know this sounds silly for it to be such a big deal for me, but it is. It is something weighing heavily on my heart and not just for Hook, nut for other reasons. :’o(

• sarah says:

I wish so badly somebody would tell us Hook fans in advance, if we will be losing Killian soon. I am so worried he’s about to be the next to go. I love it that Can O’Donoghue is on the slow. It is why I watch. I wish so bad, that somebody who really knows would tell us, if Colin is leaving Once. I know this sounds silly for it to be such a big deal for me, but it is. It is something weighing heavily on my heart and not just for Hook, but for other reasons. :’o(

13. karenwaffles says:

i bet smash the mirror refers to sydney ticking regina off and disappearing for good..

14. Avonia says:

ABC gave many of their shows extra episodes this year. I suspect Adam and company took two separate episodes and squished them together because he get a whole new one to boot. So we’ll still have a full season.

15. Amy says:

i am so tired of Emma running away from the people who love her. Give me a break already

16. Liz says:

Hmmm…why would you write “100% more Regina” in the title?
    Is she really that popular? I’m frustrates with her constantly trying to shift responsibility for her situation on others
    . What right does SHE have to be mad at anyone? Especially Emma, when Regina is the reason the former grew up an orphan? I’m really worried Regina’s popularity as a character has made the writers make it “easy” on her, erasing all the truly horrible things she did…Some of them not too long ago.