ABC Orders More Castle, Once, Grey's Anatomy and 4 Other Series

Once Upon A Time

ABC is rewarding eight of its current hits, both comedies and dramas, with additional episodes.

RELATED Pilot Scoop: ABC Eyes Marc Cherry’s Modern Phantom of the Opera Drama

For starters, all of Wednesday’s comedies — Modern FamilyThe MiddleThe Goldbergs and Black-ish — have been ordered for two more episodes each, our sister site Deadline is reporting. Freshman comedy Black-ish had already been ordered for a back nine, bringing all four comedies’ totals to 24 episodes.

Over on the drama side, Castle and (as we previously reportedOnce Upon a Time each received one additional episode, bringing both of their season totals to 23. UPDATE: Resurrection ‘s Season 2 tally is holding firm at 13.

And then there’s Grey’s Anatomy, which will get two more episodes in Season 11, bringing its total to a whopping 24.

1. iMember says:

For dramas, this doesn’t excite me. It just means the writers have to add more fillers to extend the plot. Meh.

• Wordsmith says:

Or they came up with additional worthwhile episode ideas and successfully pitched them to the network…

• johnhelvete says:

My guess is that most of the actors and the writers on these shows are not excited about doing 23 or 24 episodes instead of 22 either. Also Resurrection is a heavily serialized show, you would think the writers would have had the entire 13 episode season planned out already. FX doesnt add an extra episode of Justified, AHS, The Americans half way thru production on one of their shows just to have one extra episode.

• Travis says:

I would think ABC had dialogue with the Resurrection show runners to make sure an extra episode would work for them.

While show runners may have the story lines laid out for the season, in many cases adding an episode or two allows them to better tell their story as opposed to leaving great scenes on the cutting room floor. As for the comedies an extra episode or two does no real harm to them but adds to the wallets for everyone involved both today and in the future syndication deals.

Also why wouldn’t the actors be excited about it? They don’t make a flat salary per year, they get paid per episode, more episodes means more money for them.

• johnhelvete says:

TV is a business and the networks are in the business of making money, but TV is also a creative enterprise. Adding an additional episode for Resurrection, to me at least, seems purely financial and has nothing to do with a chance to expand the storytelling.

• herman1959 says:

I have to disagree with you about the extra Resurrection episode. With the return of Henry’s mother and the discovery of the bones, the storyline is becoming really complex. An extra episode will be beneficial for the purpose of explaining it all.

• Travis says:

Its ratings aren’t great so I don’t think there’s much financial benefit to adding an additional episode. Purely speculation, but to me it seems more in this case like ABC told the Resurrection show runners its not looking good for renewal and gave them an extra episode to wrap things up.

• David4 says:

I doubt that ABC would bother giving Resurrection, a show with a 7 episode first season and a 15 episode second, notice to if they were going to cancel it. That simply isn’t how TV works at all.

Also ABC doesn’t care what the writers think, they only care what the network wants. It’s why the creator of Revenge left his show, he got sick of ABC.

• Mary says:

I used to watch the show but it is getting to far fetched for me so I lost interest. Honestly I will be surprise if it gets renew, the ratings don’t look that good.

• Lisa says:

I agree with Mary regarding Resurrection. I watched the first season and it seemed interesting. It seemed like it was leading somewhere, but unfortunately, it never got there. I started to lose interest, but I thought I’d give it another shot this season, but sadly, it didn’t keep my interest. I removed it from my DVR after the first couple of episodes, but I replaced it with Scorpion. That show definitely intrigued me right from the first episode.

• Absurdist says:

And you’re right about that.

• Miss Rozie says:

For those actors/actresses/writers on “these shows” should be very excited about doing 23/24 episodes instead of 22. First that tells them, that they are on hit shows that people are watching & second their sizable payroll check proves that they are working, unlike so many Americans – whether they are in the acting field or someone who works in a factory or office that has either closed or has merged with another company. When companies merge, they don’t need two of most anyone, that leaves one without a job. So I’m thinking that these people in Hollywood are LOVING that their work days just got a bit longer.

2. Travis says:

The added episode for Once, is that accounting for the extra hour on episode 8 or is it in addition to that?

3. Holly says:

Good for black’ish. It’s a pretty good show and should only get better. I’m amazed at how much some of the children look like real brothers and sisters.

4. DarkDefender says:

The last time they added a Castle episode we got the awesome, STILL. I can’t wait to see what they come up with!
    As for Grey’s .. They are firing on all cylinders in this, the unbelievable 11th season, bring it, Shonda.. Bring.It.

• anon123 says:

The only reason why Still was the way it was was because ABC ordered an additional episode very late into the season and the writers had no way other than the flashback episode. Btw, season 6 also had additional episodes. :)

• Rich Abey says:

No matter what the reason was, it turned out to be a masterstroke. Castle has to my recollection received orders for additional episodes every season since Season 2 or Season 3. Hopefully they are able to keep up the so-far bright start to Season 7 & gets better as we go along, which is to be expected given the sort of mini-clearout that has happened BTS as a raft of new writers have been brought in that could only serve to keep the series fresh.

• Ok you`re right but you have to admit that STILL was a very very good episode, one of my fav,

5. jeremy says:

i was under the impression that when grey’s was renewed in the spring, they had already stated it would have 24 episodes.. so i’m confused lol

• rowan77 says:

A full season for 1-hr dramas on broadcast networks is 22 episodes – hence the not-so-perverbial “back-nine orders shows with 13 episode orders are hoping for. Sometimes the network negotiates for one or two more if they’re happy with the show and where the new season arc is going. Sometimes they wait to see how well the season is being received before asking (or not asking) for more.

6. Matthew Weber says:

Yay! More Castle is always a good thing. I hope that this is a good sign that it will be picked up for at least one more season. With all the things ABC seems to be ordering lately, they scare me a bit.

7. I, too, am confused. The articles I read last spring said Grey’s Anatomy already had 24 episode orders??? I’m all for more Grey’s, though! The more the merrier!

8. Marie says:

What about Agents of Shield?

9. What does this mean for shows that didn’t have orders for new episodes? Is it automatically bad news?

• lrdslvrhnd says:

It’s really only bad news when they cut episode orders… or if something isn’t given a back nine. Extra eps are to reward the shows, not penalize the other shows.

• Sam says:

Scandal didn’t get more episodes for plot reasons, How to Get Away with Murder didn’t get more episodes because of Viola Davis’ contract of a 15 episode season. Revenge, Nashville, and Shield didn’t get more episodes because of bad ratings.

• Carol says:

Nashville should get a better time slot ir at least be two hours. There is so much talent it is hard to cram it all into 1 hours. The ratings are pretty consistant with other shows in the 10 o’clock time slot.

10. Maryann says:

I just want a full season for Forever.

11. Babygate says:

Greys had 24 last season and the one before that. With the exception of seasons 1, the first, 4, during the writers strike, and 8, when Shonda said she was tired, Greys always gets at least 24 episodes so the headline got me excited over nothing. Just like tonight’s episode.

• Absurdist says:

The networks aren’t obliged to be consistent, so just because previous seasons had the same episode counts doesn’t mean — for any of a number of reasons — that they will continue to do so. I point to my other comment upthread re: FX and Ryan Murphy for Nip/Tuck, where the season orders varied between 13 and 22 episodes over the course of six seasons.

12. scb says:

I’m kinda confused with the additional episodes for Grey’s Anatomy. Isn’t the regular season order always 24 episodes? If two more episodes were ordered, wouldn’t it be 26?

• Absurdist says:

Not really. There’s no “regular” about things. The network decides how many episodes they order on a quarter-to-quarter (or, in the case of FOX, week-to-week) basis and can lengthen or shorten orders almost capriciously depending on ratings, other projects in the pipeline, time slot considerations, sweeps periods, etc. Last year, ABC decided to give fixed orders for ShondaShows, to run ten continuous weeks in the fall and then twelve continuous weeks in the spring (Scandal ended up being shortened to eight). They filled the winter break/midseason with The Taste and that horrible 8-week Killer Women thing that Sofia Vergara produced, shows scheduled just for that purpose.

Network strategies are what determine things, not any sort of “regularity.”

13. lupe says:

Happy for Castle!!!!

14. cdeno says:

I thought Grey’s was already 24 episodes.

15. zac says:

How about Forever and Agents of Shield?

16. Jared Munson says:

Deadline states Resurrection’s extra ep brings it to 14, not 15

17. Teri says:

More Castle, the better.

18. cyrax86 says:

Deadline says Resurrection stays at 13 episodes after all.

19. Ana says:

Thrilled about the extra hour of Once Upon A Time. Thank you ABC!!!

20. Sheila says:

Is it common to order one episode of a bunch of shows like this? Seems strange.

21. sammyfinbar says:

I know it’s very very unlikely but I would like to see a 5th season of Revenge. This season proves that the writers are still capable of coming up with compelling stories long after people suspect they’ve reached their expiry date. I was not expecting much of season 4 but it has turned out to be awesome. It would be good if they used this current season to reveal David’s secrets and put the terrorist storyline to bed, establish which side each of the characters are on, bring back characters whose stories haven’t been resolved. Then they can have a fifth and final series focusing completely on Emily vs Victoria

22. Angel says:

Shows already struggle with producing watchable 22 episodes as it is. This just means more filler episodes unfortunately.

23. Mary Wheeler says:

i love castle and resurrection

24. dave says:

Shield didn’t get an extra episode because agent carter+shield makes for 30 episodes they didn’t need more

25. Kelly Deeny says:

I’m glad about Once, Castle, and Modern Family, but I don’t watch the other shows.

26. Dennis says:

This is Revenge’s last season, and you pretty much know how it’s going to end: David and Emily happy, infinity signs galore.

27. Mire says:

Lol, a “whopping” 24 episodes? That is not a huge number. Something like 28 or 30 would be whopping.

28. Mire says:

More episodes are better than fewer, period.

29. Catherine says:

A 2-hour episode of Once? Wow, Belle might actually get 30 seconds of screen time instead of 15. I’ll have to make popcorn (which I can throw at Gaston… er, Hook). ;) Sincerely, though, I’m very excited! Thanks, ABC!

30. GREG says:

I have Direct TV and I can watch 2 shows at once. It’s ok for sports, but confusing for other shows. Once Upon a Time confuses by bouncing from 1 time and place to another.

31. Barb C says:

I love Resurrection….keep those episodes coming !!!!

32. connie says:

Give Reserection more episodes. It’s a great show. Love to see more. Can’t wait for Sundays to come around.

33. Carol says:

We need more episodes of Nashville, I cannot believe they give these silly sitcoms more shows and ignore the best show on TV.

34. Pete says:

Castle deserves to have 24 episodes this season its a great show and I would like to see more about castle’s back story to why he vanished by his wedding day and maybe introduced in little caskett baby by the end of season 7?