Gotham Scoop: Morena Baccarin Checks In as Mythic Batman Figure

Morena Baccarin Gotham

The doctor is in, and she’s hot for Detective Gordon!

Homeland‘s Morena Baccarin is joining Gotham in the iconic DC Comics role of Dr. Leslie Thompkins, TVLine has learned.

Thompkins is a gifted and dedicated physician who was a friend of the late Thomas and Martha Wayne. She is determined to use her skills to aid Gotham’s most in need, which currently means working at the newly opened Arkham Asylum’s Home for the Criminally Insane.

In addition to her medical skills, her coolness under pressure will serve her well as she finds herself drawn to Ben McKenzie’s James Gordon and into more and more dangerous waters.

Baccarin’s recurring stint kicks off in early 2015.

Thoughts on the casting? Do you think Baccarin and McKenzie will make a good pair? Hit the comments!

1. Dan says:

Casting for the show is usually great, but Gotham sucks. It ruins Batman the way Smallville did for Superman (and yes, for 10 seasons, because people are that stupid and watch anyway).

• Andrew Hass says:

If Gotham sucks as you then why do watch it or even care who they cast.As for Smallville i watched it and i don’t think it ruined Superman that much.Plus i don’t think it’s right to call people who watched Smallville stupid.

• Oliver says:

if you don’t like it then you don’t watcht it.
      You have comics, other films or shows to choose. Gotham is another version of the Batman Universe, the show doesn’t ruin anything. I enjoy Gotham so much.

• Smallville didn’t ruin Superman. It wasn’t perfect, sure, and the last few seasons went severely off track, but overall it was fine.

• The Kaibosh says:

You’re absolutely correct about Smallville. That abomination was to put it mildly: just bad. Lana the witch? Senator Martha Kent? “Meteor rocks” popping up everywhere mutating everyone in one ridiculous way or another (Kryptonite is supposed to be one of the rarest things in the whole universe – IT CAN KILL SUPERMAN and they tossed it around like candy)….you get what I mean. No self respecting Superman fan would say Smallville was a good show. So yes about Smallville….BUT….Gotham I have to disagree with you. Its building itself and hasn’t crossed any lines of stupidity that Smallville did so often..yet.

• cdhaskell says:

Smallville was a interested show but the kryptonsite storyline almost destroy the series. Most of the Batman rogue gallery didn’t debut until after The Batman started to patrol the city after dark.. I am still hope that the series rating will started getting better.

• cdhaskell says:

I am glad that the Gotham is slowly built the city in a believable manner. The writer manage to make both the main character and supporting character that you will either love or hated. I can’t wait to see what will happened in the second season.

• Scotts says:

So what you’re saying is Smallville did exactly the same sorts of things they did in the comics during the 60s and 70s.

• fairportfan says:

Obviously you never read the “Golden Age” Superman stories, where green K turned up every ohter issus and red K two or three times a year.

• avenged7x85 says:

I’m backing up Andrew Hass. Smallville was a different spin on an iconic character who, over his years has had SEVERAL changes to his story and the same goes for Batman. Characters have changed, identities, origins everything is different from what it was back in the beginning. Even the Joker. Also, please do not insult anyone for their beliefs and opinions it is quite juvenile and needs to stop all over the internet.

• JAson says:

You have to think of these shows as sort of a alternate reality. They will never be canon to the original comics or film!

• Tom says:

Smallville did NOT ruin Superman. Some of the seasons had genius arcs. Like most shows that go that long, some of the seasons were duds, but it is to be expected. And Smallville gave us the best Lex Luthor in history. Michael was amazing in that role.

• Jo says:

I don’t think it ruins Batman at all. I love Batman and I am seeing the similarities in every episode.

2. Tran says:

Think Morena Baccarin who’s going to be missed on Homeland is a good fit for the role.

• JAson says:

Unfortunately this show will not allow the same nudity that Morena and all America enjoyed so spectacularly on Homeland!!

3. alistaircrane says:

Oh wow, no. Not cool with this casting. I don’t like the actress.

4. cdhaskell says:

I am glad that Dr. Leslie Thompkins will debut in Gotham. I can’t wait to see how close the writer will developed Dr. thompkins from the comics to the series.Good luck to Morena Baccarin.

• alistaircrane says:

I love the character. Leslie is pivotal to Bruce’s development. She is his mother figure just as Alfred is his father figure. Excited to see her although I would have preferred someone else in the role.

5. iammusic says:

So thrilled for this casting. Love Morena in whatever she does, can’t wait to see her on Gotham!

6. reading on says:

I have no idea about the character from any movies or comics or how closely they have to follow that anyway. I’m all for a new character who might be a way to learn about Gordon, his background, and have a window into his personal life with someone who’d want to learn about him too. There’s been nothing like that and I don’t see it ever happening with Barbara. Those scenes haven’t been used well.

• darryl says:

She would make a great patner/lover for jim. She has done more to encourage and suppot him in the first few minutes she has met him, Than Babra has doen the entire season. And i don’t see her running out on him to go sleep whit her previous lover….

7. Anne says:

Inara!!! Glad to see she’s on this show since it’s one I watch.

8. The Kaibosh says:

I LOVE Morena Baccarin. She adds beauty, talent and class to everything she does (except maybe “V”… that was pretty bad but wasn’t her fault…bad writing is bad writing)…but I digress. Having gushed sufficiently I gotta say I’m not too keen on the idea of a Hot Leslie Thompkins.

9. Joey says:

Since I don’t know much about the comics, more DCAU for me, was there ever any point when Leslie Thompkins and James Gordon were an item?

For the record, much more interested in seeing her interactions with Bruce.

• The Kaibosh says:

No. Dr Leslie Thompkins is an older, wise, compassionate person who comforts a young Bruce Wayne on the night of his parents murder in what is referred to as “crime alley” She is effectively Alfred’s female counterpart. She will be one of Batman’s closest friends, champion and mentor.

• Dennis says:

AWESOME!!! I sure hope so, I don’t want to see hef playing a villain. Love this actress!

• cdhaskell says:

I suddenly remember that Doctor Leslie thompkins was an older woman instead of the hot looking woman from the photo that I am looking at. Good luck to the actress that is playing the good doctor.

• TinLV says:

No. But it doesn’t matter. I expect a few rewrites on this show and I’m ok wth that. The comics didn’t feature the vlllains as children either, or Gordon as a young hottie. Overall, I really like the show so far.. and I was a comic book reading fanatic when I was young. In this show, Barbara is more fleshed out than in the comics, but that doesn’t make her likeable. So far, I can’t stand her. So I am rooting for Jim to find someone new, even if they tweak the character of Dr Thomkins to make her fit. And I really like the actress they have hired to play her.

10. Alana D says:

Morena Baccarin always lights up the screen, so it will be great.

11. The Other Guy says:

They can cast the best of the best in this thing and it will still be lucky to see out 2 seasons. Unless they improve the writing its just gonna go down hill.

Gotham already has a great cast and could be a great show but the writers are throwing in everything and the kitchen sink. They need to learn that sometimes less is more.

Having the young Selena nicknamed Cat already and saying lines like, ‘I can see in the dark!’ is just plain silly.

They need to show some restraint for this show to last.

12. David4 says:

Just what Gotham needs, more characters.

I think the problem with Gotham is when they announced the show they said it wouldn’t have Batman. Which is fine, but I feel they made Bruce too young and he shouldn’t be in every episodes.

And Smallville sucked because for the first several seasons NOTHING HAPPENED! Literally, no one ever changed, nothing really happened. Everyone found out who was Superman yet that barely changed anything. It didn’t wreck Superman, it was just pointless. The story lines for 10 seasons could have been fit into 3-5 seasons.

13. kyle says:

Whenever a former firefly cast member is mentioned and credited for something it should always be Firefly. I would trade every season of homeland for another episode of firefly.

14. Jacob says:

I really enjoy Gotham and I agree on Smallville it was to drawn out. I believe Gotham will be better and is better than Smallville.

15. Griffin says:

I’ve enjoyed Morena in everything I’ve seen her in. I wish her the best.

16. Holly says:

Gotham is okay and I loved Morena Baccarin in Firefly, V, and Homeland. She’s an awesome actress. I’ll keep watching for sure.

17. Steve Bradley says:

Sorry, as a Batman fan for 40 years, I think Gotham is brilliant and its great they’re introducing Leslie Thompkins into this series. Its a shame they never had that character in ANY of the films.

18. Mario Britton says:

I think she’s great actor really enjoy her roles…

19. I think Morena really begins a lot of light to series so we see…I know she begin it…

20. Jo says:

LOVE Penguin & Fish!

21. wwwjoecastleit says:

can’t wait to see my queen, i love Anna

22. Morena Baccarin is absolutely beautiful and a wonderful actress, I love her in everything she does. Huge fan!!! Congrats Morena, I’m now a fan of Gotham.

23. bertin says:

gotham if it does will end like smallville when bruce becomes batman and in 10 years if it lasts.