Exclusive

CBS Trims CSI's Season 15 Order

CSI Season 15

CSI‘s current season will fall a tad short.

TVLine has learned exclusively that CBS has trimmed the venerable procedural’s Season 15 episode order from 22 to 18.

I’m told the decision was more about inventory than ratings. In addition to spin-off CSI: Cyber, which is slated to assume CSI‘s Sunday-at-10 perch later this season, CBS also has Vince Gilligan’s Battle Creek and a seventh season of The Mentalist waiting in the wings.

CSI’s move to Sundays at 10/9c has produced decent results: Although the show is down double-digits from its Season 14 average (when it aired Wednesdays at 10), it’s maintaining the time period’s year-ago average in viewers and adults 18-49.

This marks the first time in CSI‘s 15 year history that it will produce less than a full-season’s worth of episodes (save for the 2007-08 season, when the writers’ strike shortened the order to 17).

1. pamela says:

not happy about this but i won’t look into things too much. i don’t like it when networks give a show a new time slot (especially on such a busy tv night) and then blame the show and punish the fans for the lower ratings, hopefully that doesn’t happen with csi.

• DYS says:

When they move a how a new timeslot on a sunday or Friday they account for the fact that ratings will be lower. They do it to shows like CSI that can afford to lose viewers yet still last for a few years, due to making up for lost ad revenue with syndication money.

• lechatnoir says:

Pammie,
      They removed a bit of fat . Its not the end of the world.

2. Chad Smith says:

First nail in the coffin?

3. Dani says:

Bad move. CBS wasn’t too nice to the other two CSI shows near the end of their run, I hope the original show doesn’t follow now.
    I guess if anything does better in this time slot, CSI is in real trouble and might not even in the position to do anything about it anymore.

4. steven says:

They did the same thing with Medium and Numb3rs. Next stop: cancellation.

5. David4 says:

It won’t be canceled until Cyber does REALLY well.

• Elf says:

So you’re saying it will never be cancelled. (Really, I found the backdoor pilot for CSI: Cyber to be utterly horrible.)

• Ryan says:

Really? I found it the best of the entire season barring possibly the finale. CSI has been terrible for the last 4 seasons, save for the odd gem here and there. The backdoor Cyber pilot was one of those moments. If Cyber is marketed right it can do decently, but it’s a shame they appear to only be willing to finance one or the other for the 2015-2016 season by putting them head-to-head for the same timeslot.

6. Jenna says:

This show, while once a true hit, is just taking up space. CBS finally has some legitimate new hits. 15 years is a great run. Time to retire this one.

• TVMAN says:

New hits? Their new shows Stalker and NCIS NO, arnt exactly rating hits

• Jenna says:

Well, they’re both beating CSI, as is Scorpion.

• Brendan says:

Actually, I think Stalker might not last long. NCIS NO, it may stick around.

• Stormy says:

The problem with Stalker IMO is that there is no one to like. The lady cop is a makeshift clone of Lucy Lieu on Elementary. Dylan McDermott is creepy and it’s hard to be on his side. His ex wife is a ball buster. The blond chick at the precinct is like the witch from Grimm. There isn’t a single sympathetic character on the show.

• Kathy says:

And they’re all in better timeslots than CSI — and none of them are being delayed or outright pre-empted by football week after week.
          And it won’t get any better for CSI in the spring — golf tournaments usually push it back on a regular basis.
          10pm on CBS on a Sunday night — where good shows are sent to die.

• Cookie Lowe says:

I agree with you! Moving show to Sunday after football was a sure way of loosing viewers. I still record (DVR) adding 3 hrs due to sports delaying the airing of the show. I loved CSI Miami & CSI NY & both were cancelled as if the viewers were not even considered in their decision. We at least get the reruns on A&E & USA networks. Now CSI Cyber? Need to get CSI settled in a good time slot BEFORE bringing on another CSI spin-off. As for Stalker, I like it! It has a mix of seriousness, plus a little humor & you don’t know what to expect at the end. Good show!! Give it a chance to the viewers who are already against it. Yes, the characters are a little different, but they are suppose to be & they work off each other & are a team!

• Nita Rogers says:

Agree Stalker is stupid. Quit watching it. NCIC NO is OK. Get rid of Scott Balka and it will be better.

• Kathy says:

Seriously? Have you looked at the ratings? NCIS New Orleans is right behind NCIS week after week — it’s usually in the top 5, if not the top 4.

7. Tran says:

This could very well be the end for CSI even if it’s going to go beyond a Season 16.

8. Steven says:

CSI only had 17 episodes for season 8, but that was because of the Writer’s Strike.

9. Can’t say I really care that much. They ruined this once great show seasons ago…now it is just air time fodder, IMO. They could have written it so much better so I actually blame the writers for the demise in this show; they quit caring about 4 seasons ago and it’s just been nothing but thrown together BS ever since. I’ll miss what it used to be, but even while it’s on the air, I miss the great show it was ONCE!!

10. Ram510 says:

Is the writing on for CSI. It’s a shame ause it would probably still be doing well is it were back on Wednesdays

11. Billy Martins says:

It”s about time to get rid of CSI & other veteran shows like NCIS,2&/Men/the Mentalist,

12. joey says:

I’m not surprised.

13. Steve says:

Not a good sign I just hope they give it a final 13 episode order next year after how big of a success it has been in the past it deserves a proper wrap up

14. Not1ofYouPeople says:

Dirtbags!

15. Guest2U says:

Will this be the end of CSI? I’ve watched the show for more than half my life. Sunday night killed it. CBS killed it with the move–after all the money made–and this is the appreciation. It looks like CSI will end in early February? maybe March at the latest. It’s sad.

16. Jim says:

It’s time for this tired franchise to die. NCIS can go too.

• drhenning says:

Yeh…. good move to cancel the #1 show in total viewers… I guess some young people think it will end when all its “old” viewers die… I think it will end when Mark Harmon wants to end it and kick his feet up…

• fedelin says:

NCIS and CSI suck. They had very good seasons but its time to end

• Lisa says:

Actually, the show that needs to end is Law and Order SVU. When Munch, Finn and the captain all left, I think that was a pretty good sign it needs to end. Don’t get me wrong, I like the show, but I think it’s ready to go.

17. Not true Michael. Season 8 only filmed 17 episodes because of the writer’s strike. This was not a surprise. CBS needed to make room for 13 episodes of CSI Cyber and they can’t do that if CSI has a full season.

18. tammy says:

I’m confused about how the number of episodes will work. Are they considering CSI: Cyber episodes to be included with CSI episodes? I wasn’t impressed by Cyber during the back door pilot. I would rather have 18 episodes of regular CSI.

19. tammy says:

I don’t understand how the number of episodes thing will work. Are they considering Cyber episodes to be included in the number of CSI episodes? I wasn’t at all impressed by Cyber during the backdoor pilot, I’d much rather have a full season, even if it is shortened, of regular CSI.

• tammy says:

Oops, my computer said the page timed out and I thought I lost the first post. Don’t know how to delete this duplicate.

20. Donna2712 says:

While I will be upset to see CSI go, if that is the end result, it has had an amazing run and all involved should be proud of what they accomplished. I just hope it allows for a proper send off and doesn’t just finish the season and disappear. Allow them all to finish with dignity, it’s the least they deserve after being such a fanominal hit for CBS. Remember, CSI WAS what NCIS is now!

21. Holly says:

This really sucks, CBS set this to fail and are crapping on long time fans.

22. johnhelvete says:

The writers have 18 episodes this season, enough episodes and this gives them advance notice to write a season finale that will work as a series finale.

23. I think it’s a given that CSI is on it’s last legs. It’s a 15 year old drama and isn’t getting cheaper to make. The ratings decline is obvious because of it’s age. I agree with the writers have plenty of time to construct a satisfying end and please the fans. CBS has way more dramas than timeslots and a lot of the older shows aren’t getting cheaper to make. There’s going to be several cancellations of veteran shows come May.

24. So why is CBS shifting all these shows around into other time slots? If the ratings are in good shape then why move? #perplexed

25. Pugmomx3 says:

I still enjoy watching the show and this season has a promising story line with gig harbor killer so I hope it’s not a sign of things to come.. True it’s been on for a long time but I think they can get a little more juice from this show maybe this season and one more!!

26. Maryann says:

I just hope this is not a harbinger of doom. The current main cast is the third time the show has reinvented itself, making it virtually a fresh and new show each time. This is one I could continue to watch into the indefinite future.

27. Anice says:

This is sad, after they move it to sunday they are going to shorten the season. I think Ted has been the best replacement since William left. I really hoped for a whole season, but then again if they are doing what other networks are which is switching around the night it airs multiple times its no surprise they loose fans. I can think of one currently long running show that has survived the movements but even then it had some difficulty.

• Lisa says:

I have to agree with you Anice. I had just about completely stopped watching it. I gave it a fair shake after William Petersen left and Laurence Fishburne joined the show. I didn’t like the direction it was going, and made the decision I was done, then they added Ted Danson, and I figured I’d give him a chance. I’m glad I did. I honestly think it would have been canceled, but his character gave the show what it had been needing since Grissom left. I was concerned again when Marg Helgenberger left, but I have to admit that Elizabeth Shue was a great choice. I think that Elizabeth and Ted’s characters have a great chemistry (not speaking romantically, just overall), and the CSI team has felt like a team again.

I certainly hope it survives the move. Although, the timeslot they were given does seem like the death slot.

• Cookie Lowe says:

Totally agree with your comments!! CBS just needs to move it back to a week night & get it off of Sun. I like the mix of Ted Danson & Elizabeth Shue. I also like Brodie..she adds spark to the show where it is needed.

28. dee123 says:

Uh-oh. THE END IS NEAR.

29. Lynnacworth says:

Not enough George Eads, not enough sarcastic side Ted Danson waaaaay too much Gorja Fox and boring Elizabeth Shue this story can’t back up “Goid Wife ” so it’s just another example of parent CBS killing off its own child. Wave bye bye hello syndication.

30. Andrea says:

I won’t be surprised if it ends. I watched NY the most of the three, and I’ll probably at least test-drive CSI: Cyber. I do hope that when the original does end that a) the writers handle it like NY instead of like Miami and b) it’s allowed to have a send-off that befits its longevity. It’s always bugged me how Law and Order ended with almost no fanfare.

• Julian says:

CSI: NY was screwed over. The last 2 seasons of he show were cut short, denying it from reaching the 200 episode mark. Miami did get a proper send off, after everyone knew the writing was on the wall. It could have had a full final season had CBS not pushed so hard to replace it with the ill-fated NYC 22 show that lasted just 5 or 6 episodes.

31. drhenning says:

Let’s see what the ratings are really like when SNF ends… Sunday afternoon football time shifts will be over ( though golf and basketball sometimes run over but those are normally scheduled to end at 6 so only local programming cut short if they run over).. I just figure they looked at other programming and cut it by 4 shows… Not sure of costs but its mostly stand alone episodes pull big bucks in reruns world-wide for a CBS owned show…

32. Moment says:

I would have thought CSI would be moved to Friday next season. Both Hawaii Five-0 and Blue Bloods are woefully underperforming and although they have syndication money, they’re not worth keeping around while pulling 1.2s on Friday.

33. It depends on what fails says:

Should’ve never made past 13 episodes.

100 great shows were canceled when it aired.

34. I think it’ll depend on CSI: Cyber’s numbers, but didn’t CSI: Miami get its episode number trimmed on Sunday before being cancelled without a series finale?

35. csi isn’t the only show that dropped episodes whiners

36. It’s cutting 4 episodes. What’s the big deal? And I hardly think that cutting four episodes is gonna make room for The Mentalist’s 13 episode season. I’m wondering where they will even find a place for it in the Spring. The new shows seem to be doing okay enough. Although, why Stalker is doing well is beyond me.

37. Kaen says:

It’s amazing how the networks just can’t leave shows alone, they have to move them, cancel popular shows, put more reity shows on, they just don’t give a rip about the viewers. I really think they should up the age of the program staff and change their demographic stance. 18 year olds aren ‘t home watching tv and the people with the advertising money are alot older and they ignore us ok so now that I’ve had my rant Have a great day everybody

38. Susan says:

Tonight we saw an episode from a couple of years ago. Why did change tonights episode

39. Tat2luvgirl says:

Tonight’s CSI felt like a finale.
    As for Stalker, I like it very much. I think Scorpion will survive even though it’s weak. I wish the cheesy writing in the NCIS shows would just quit. Either boat the writing or get rid of the shows. And 2.5 Men should have died years ago. And how the hell is 2 Broke Girls going to be on at 8p. That’s too early for such racy jokes.

40. Mary says:

CBS moved CSI to Sunday which is fine, however it never starts at its slotted time of 10p, running late and tjis Sunday did not air at all but listed so my DVR picked up other shows. Not fair to CSI ratings.
    What is going on??

41. Marilyn Painter says:

Not happy at all.

42. Kathy says:

Move it to Sunday night when it constantly suffers from an erratic start time due to football (hell — it wasn’t even on last night, except on the West Coast, which got a rerun), and then the ratings fall? Ya think? CSI Cyber will fave the same problems in the spring, when golf tournaments run over.

43. Bill says:

Not too upset if it speeds up Cyber’s arrival. Can’t wait for Patricia Arquette.

44. Maureen Smith says:

I’m sorry to hear about the reduction of CSI episodes, but it might be because of NFL football overruns on the east coast. It was pre-empted last night at the last minute because of football. I hope CSI continues for many seasons.

45. Shannon says:

Can y’all please fix the run over of the show that come before CSI? It keeps taking over most of the CSI time. When I DVR, I miss the last 15 minutes or all of it, like this last week. Not happy! I want my CSI!

• Kathy A says:

Everything runs over on Sunday nights thanks to football games. It’s a domino effect. In the spring, there are programming delays thanks to PGA golf tournaments. See if your DVR has a setting to allow the show to record past its normal stopping point (I have the Sunday night schedule set to record each show for 2 hours).

46. Kate says:

Wish CSI would go back to Wednesday nights. Love the show. Hope the banishment to Sunday night doesn’t spell its demise!

47. Lisa Rose says:

So why wasn’t the oct 26 episode of CSI aired. I Dvr’d csi and the good wife recorded And half the news!!! This is bogus. Same thing happened to the mentalist last year. I missed half the episodes due to poor timing on CBS!!! So if I wanna watch the episodes CBS messes up on, I have to “pay” to watch them online????? What a ripoff. CBS just Killed CSI by moving the series to Sunday night. What a shame!!

• Kathy says:

The football game ran over. Last night’s episode will be pushed back to next Sunday.
      Why not set your DVR to record the episode for two hours instead of one?

48. Nathan says:

I hate it when CBS does this. They’re killing the show. When they announced this, I knew this was going to happen. Low ratings=danger of cancellation. They need to cancel Stalker and move this show back to Wednesdays 10/9c because it was doing just fine there. Right now, Stalker is doing horribly and I hope it gets cancelled and CSI gets renewed for a 16th and possibly final season.

• Julian says:

Stalker is doing fine. That’s why CBS gave it a full episode order. The ratings for Stalker are just fine, and the show compliments Criminal Minds perfectly. CSI has been barely hanging on for the last few years. The ratings have been dropping, and it’s not getting any cheaper to produce. It was a pretty easy choice about which show to move to Sunday. It’s giving way to Stalker much like CSI: Miami gave way to Hawaii Five-0 on Monday nights.

49. Marilyn says:

If the ratings are down at all it MIGHT have something to do with the football games always running over and not running CSI instead of local news. Right now the game is going to be at least 30 min over. They are saying all 4 shows following the game will be run–maybe in California

50. Winnie gard says:

I’m really disappointed that CSI was cut from Sunday night because football runs long. Why can’t it be shown later or who decides that madam secretary and the good wife get to be aired and not CSI. I do not like the good wife as it is just another soap opera. I even tried to see CSI on demand and it is not there either – what a disappointment.

• Julian says:

Sorry, but Madam Secretary and the Good wife are scheduled to air first, and they will air first before CSI. CSI doesn’t get special treatment. The same thing happened when Miami was moved to Sundays. The Good Wife is not a procedural and its ratings have been fine. It’s not going to get bumped for another crime procedural to air. CSI has to wait its turn.