Bewitched Update: NBC Pilot Will Follow Samantha's Granddaughter

Bewitched Remake

Exactly one week after news broke that a Bewitched remake was in the works from Sony Pictures TV, NBC has given the comedy a pilot production commitment, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED TVLine Items: The IT Crowd Gets U.S. Remake

But rather than retell Samantha Stephens’ story, NBC’s new pilot — penned by The Vow‘s Abby Kohn and Marc Silverstein — will focus on Daphne, Samantha’s granddaughter, a single twentysomething who discovers her quest for true love can’t be solved with magic (though that won’t stop her from trying).

Lisa Hartman played Samantha’s grown daughter Tabitha (aka Daphne’s mother) in Bewitched‘s 1977 spin-off series Tabitha.

We originally asked who you think should play the new Samantha — Christina Applegate was a favorite — but now that we know NBC’s Bewitched will focus on the next next generation, it’s time to play casting director all over again.

Drop a comment with your dream Daphne below.

1. Andy says:

I hope Erin Murphy/Tabitha is Daphne’s Mother so she can make a cameo.

2. Et al says:

I guess there’s something sort of interesting about 3 generations each getting a series.

3. K says:

No question. Dianna Agron.

4. NoraP says:

With Parenthood ending, there’s Mae Whitman. I also really like Aimee Teegarden for it but I’m guessing to be in the minority on that one.

5. Anyone else remember Tabitha the show?

• SAM says:

I do – I think that it only lasted one season. I wonder if Lisa Hartman will make an appearance as Tabitha?

• herman1959 says:

I remember it. Lisa Hartman was perfect because she sort of looked like the child who played Tabitha on Bewitched – yes I remember that too.

• TV Gord says:

Yes, Lisa Hartman and Robert Urich were fun in an awful, awful show. I have it on DVD (one of the curses of being a Bewitched lover)! ;-)

• Serena says:

I remember “Tabitha” circa 1980. It was a thinly written but appealing show. Typical of every sit-com ever on ABC Friday night. The appealing part was due to Lisa Hartman. I have followed her career ever since. I was a seat-mate with her on a cross-country flight just after her “Knots Landing” run. She is just as likable in person.

6. NikiNick says:

Seeing as how Daryl was dark haired, Samantha’s granddaughter doesn’t have to be a blonde.

7. Lucky says:

I still think Julie Marie Berman would be perfect for this part.

• TinLV says:

Yes… Julie Marie Berman would be a good choice… She looks like she could be Elizabeth Montgomery’s granddaughter and she’s the right age.

8. L says:

So this is actually a sequel instead of a remake? I like that idea better. It’s a shame Elizabeth Montgomery has passed away…. Lisa Hartman is still around, maybe she can cameo

9. Rachael T says:

I think this girl could nail charming without being cloying – Emily Meade (Fringe, Leftovers)

10. GuessWhat says:

Am I the only one that wants this cancelled before it even airs?
    NO originality in Hollywood.

• Jake says:

No, I think you hit the nail on the head…Ridiculous!

• DYS says:

After decades of shows and movies, originality isn’t usually a realistic thing to expect too often. There are exceptions but most of the time even somewhat new concepts that are in no way intended to be remakes or followups, can in some ways be previous/unrelated things. Writers maybe paid a lot, but that doesn’t make originality easier. The key is for things to be enjoyable regardless.

• S. says:

Shakespeare wasn’t original either. It’s not about that, it’s about execution. “An Affair to Remember” was a remake. “My Fair Lady” was an adaptation of “Pygmalion.” “West Side Story” is Romeo & Juliet which brings us back to…drumroll please, Shakespeare. Then there’s the new golden era of Disney with things like The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, etc. Also adaptations of works that’d become part of the public domain (we won’t get into The Lion King and whether it’s more Hamlet adaptation or Kimba the White Lion). Then there’s Clueless and Emma. Seriously, it’s so knee jerk to grumble about originality. To me this is much more original than ‘X number of friends live together or hang out in a bar or something, having relationships and trying to figure out life.’ Another one of those and I’ll scream. They’re so generic usually and not cast the way shows like Friends or HIMYM (finale aside) were. Gotta get the chemistry and tone just right. Very difficult and yet, they keep doin’ it. Makes you really appreciate then ones who do it well.

• Stormy says:

ITA. I’ve been a fan of Martha Grimes’ Richard Jury mysteries for years and each time I finish one, I can’t help casting it in my mind. Definitely Colin Firth as Melrose Plant. Hollywood has plenty of untapped material to choose from, but studio execs have been making some spectacularly bad decisions.

• Rusty says:

I agree wholeheartedly!! This is a bad idea that will be a waste of all concerned as it will not last a season. What’s next, My Mother the Car??

• Stormy says:

Followed by Gilligan’s Island, Alf, Taxi, M*A*S*H, Cheers, The Flying Nun and All In The Family. Except they will all be more vulgar and/or licentious, and will tank.

• Leesa says:

Then don’t watch it! Easy as that! There is nothing on tv like this depending on who they cast and the writers, it could work. I’ll check it out!

11. MattArmando says:

Julie Marie Berman, still. She’d be phenomenal, as she can actually do comedy quite well, too.

12. Mallory says:

I’m still behind Kristen bell! But I do like the Dianna Agron suggestion. :)

• Jake says:

Kristen Bell, Kristen Bell…geez do you people not know any other actresses..so over her !

• Shazay says:

I feel the same way about Julie Berman. How does she have such rabid fans? TVline readers must be primarily be GH fans, because every post has comments with people jamming about JMB. I think she needs to be Lulu again.

13. Tom says:

This has Anna Camp or Dreama Walker written all over it…

14. Drew says:

Cassidy Freeman.

15. Walter says:

They ruined it already! The producers of the original went out of their way to make sure every witch had a name that ended with “a.” It’s already ruined.

• Drew says:

This is not a full witch. She would be at least one quarter human. Probably more, since Tabatha and Adam grew up around humans.

• herman1959 says:

She would be one-half witch since Samantha’s mother was a witch and her father was a warlock. Her parents were both shown on the show – yes, I remember that too!

• S. says:

You have a little math problem there, We’re not talking Tabitha, we’re talking the granddaughter. Tabitha’s the half-witch. Darrin’s human obviously. If Tabitha married a warlock, then you’d have a 1/4 human but I have no idea what the plot of the short lived Tabitha series was. I assume they didn’t have time to marry her to anybody.

• rowan77 says:

This Tabitha series (which I watched a little on YouTube about a year ago) was just about 20-something Tabitha living in San Francisco, working as an associate producer (or assistant producer?) for a local TV station and trying to make her way in the world. Like her mother, she tries not to use her magic for everything, but always ends up using it anyway. Her brother Adam (who was not a warlock in the original series) fully embraces his (now) magic self – and tries to get Tabitha to do the same. It’s wasn’t a good show, but that is the synopsis.

• herman1959 says:

You’re right.

• herman1959 says:

I meant to say you’re right about the math, but we don’t who the granddaughter’s father (Tabitha’s husband) is – warlock or not. The answer would change the percentage, but I guess the writers will be busy.

• herman1959 says:

What?

• sleehauser says:

My thoughts exactly, Walter! Why can’t they ever get a fan in there at least a script consultant? I know of lots of fans who would volunteer! 😁

16. delfiteblu says:

I think Taylor Swift would be perfect. She’s the right age, the right coloring, has a great personality and well = why not?

• Jonathan81 says:

um… she is boyfriend poison… so… she’ll remain single throughout the run and never continue the family name, lol. End of future spin-offs/sequels…

17. delfiteblu says:

18. cookie says:

Ariana Grande. She doesn’t have to be blonde or Chloe Moretz.

19. Jim Maguire says:

All the girls in Samantha’s side end in the letter ‘A’. Please change it.

oh, Melissa Joan Hart!

20. mdbchud says:

Nope, still no need for this, for many reasons, but how do you logically explain the absence of Samantha, Endora, etc. Witches lived for hundreds of years in the Bewitched series, and no one can explain a reason I’d accept that they weren’t around at least a little.

Bewitched was a classic for a reason, let it live on in syndication and leave it’s legacy ALONE!

21. Ryan says:

I still think that Elisha Cuthbert could do it.

22. asm says:

Please, please, don’t just hire someone who is pretty. A typical CW show’s actress like Nina Dobrev who can’t show emotions. We prefer someone who is funny and loveable. I think they better look at Broadway shows to see actresses who have good experiences. Someone like Kristen Bell, but less famous so we all can be surprised.

23. Yolanda says:

Whoever said Anna Camp I second that!

24. KC says:

No, just No – why do networks keep doing this????

25. Chol H Yoon says:

I think it will be hilarious if Samantha or Tabitha becomes the new Endora, tormenting all her suitors / boyfriends

26. Jennifer McGinnis says:

Me! I think I would make the perfect Daphne. I can wiggle my nose like Samantha, and love the show! It would be a dream come true for me.

27. Robert says:

I love the granddaughter idea. I am sorry that Elizabeth Montgomery is not here to be a part of it but Erin or Lisa Hartman Black would be great to guest star as Tabitha. I can’t think of a actress to play Daphne, maybe they need to go with a unknown?

28. Matty says:

Amber Tamblyn would be ideal for this role….

29. Matty says:

Heather Morris from Glee!

30. Christopher says:

Anna Camp–hands down!

31. Me says:

I vote Brittany Snow.

32. taniaricardo says:

DEFINITELY Jessy Schram!!

33. Tom says:

Kellie Pickler would be great.

34. Nancy says:

AnnaSophia Robb

35. Zbu says:

Beckie Newton!!

36. Patrick says:

Joanna Garcia!!!

37. didn’t Samantha have 2 kids and one Tabitha inherited the witch gene but not the son. what if the grandaughter is the Son’s daughter not Tabitha’s and it skipped to the female of the generation only. That premise would be better since, the father will be like Darrin trying to stop his daughter from using magic.

38. Demarques says:

i think Chloë Grace Moretz would be good for the part. I would love to play in it too.

39. Dude says:

Dreama Walker and Anna Camp are my picks!

40. Chris York says:

They should use my daughter Haylee because she really is Dick York’s granddaughter.

41. Elizabeth says:

I have no idea how much longer The Vampire Diaries will last, but I think Candice Accola would be good for this role.

42. justme says:

Dreama Walker

43. justme says:

changed my mind….Greer Grammar could be good, I think.

44. Ok so I think Meagan good would be awesome for this. She could have a black father or be adopted. They can def make it work!

45. dryedmangoez says:

JULIET MILLS for Tabitha please!

46. Jenna says:

I’m on board, with the right casting. I grew up with great shows like Bewitched. I’d love for my kids and grandkids to have something fun to watch that isn’t based on sex jokes. I’m available as a consultant if they need one. :

47. Ram510 says:

This is somewhat better than them trying to bring back Samantha, but they should still just leave this alone. There’s bo way they’re going to be able to capture the magic of the original and doing a remake at this point is needless and I’m sure they won’t do the original any justice