The Voice Recap: Pray They Won't Fade Away [Updated]

The Voice - Season 7

Pop quiz time! What is the probability that tonight’s episode of The Voice ended in a Steal?

a. 100%
b. Absolute certainty
c. Is Adam’s torso covered in tattoos?
d. “Uh-HUH, this their s–t. All the girls stomp your feet like this.

No, you are not allowed to shake a fist at my spoiler-ization down in the comments section. The Voice‘s Battle Rounds always end in a Steal, sillies!

But as much as I try to keep NBC’s reality singing competition at an emotional arm’s length during its early rounds — at least three-quarters of the time, potential champions get pitted against each other in winner-take-all pairings, while subpar competitors somehow get salvaged from the scrap heap by sentimental coaches, after all — once in a while, something so spectacular happens that my Gospel hand goes up and those walls I built, baby, they come tumbling down.

Tonight, that rare double rainbow-striped pegasus-unicorn hybrid landed on NBC’s Monday-night schedule in the form of DaNica Shirey and Toia Jones’ duet on Beyoncé’s “Halo.” Sure, the holleration started at a 10 and got cranked up to “Michelle, can you handle this?” — but you won’t hear any complaining from me. In DaNica and Toia, The Voice has managed to shine a massive spotlight on two soulful, distinctive divas who have somehow failed to make a blip on the major-label heirarchy, toiling away in anonymity while Britney Spears makes seven figures for gasping to a backing track six nights a week in Vegas. Heck, more people have heard Kim Kardashian sing than both DaNica and Toia combined prior to The Voice‘s seventh season.

So, whether or not their big, belt-y styles suit your tastes, let’s be happy they’ve found a forum — however brief — along with the dozens of other wonderful talents who’ve graced the stage in Season 7. I might not understand every move Blake and Adam and Gwen and Pharrell make, but even when they reward lesser constellations and ignore the shining suns in front of ’em, The Voice is doing its part to right musical disparities in the universe. That it does it with a big dollop of predictability is the least of my worries.

On that note, let’s get to the very challenging business of ranking tonight’s Battles in order from least- to most-promising winner.

6. Team Gwen: Ryan Sill defeats Jessie Pitts on Ellie Goulding’s “I Need Your Love” (Jessie stolen by Blake) | “I’ll take ‘None of the Above’ for $100, Alex!” OK, sorry, I’m being mean, but while Ryan hits most of his notes, there’s a blandness to his tone and delivery that makes him as exciting as an unembellished slice of Wonder Bread. Jesslie’s precious affectations and wheezy phrasing, on the other hand, made Ryan the clear winner — which made Blake’s use of the Steal all the more vexing (’til I remembered how he often likes to steal cannon-fodder to fall at the feet of his Chosen Team Members).

5. Team Pharrell: Katriz Trinidad defeats Blessing Offor on Stevie Wonder’s “Do I Do” (Blessing stolen by Adam) | The night’s other shoulder-shrug of a battle found Katriz checking off her notes like an overenthusiastic high-school student filling out her SAT exam with a No. 2 pencil rather than emoting with the kind of soul and spunk that will probably evade her for another five years. I mean, she’s clearly talented, but right now, that talent should be figuring itself out in a high-school auditorium. Blessing, for his part, started off with a series of sharp notes and then slathered on so much vocal frosting to cover his errors that it was almost unbearable. Again, how he scored a Steal while Ethan Butler got sent to the guillotine is a mystery worthy of True Detective. (Actually, I’d watch a limited-run series with Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey try to crack that case! I’m not alone here, right?)

4. Team Adam: Damien defeats Kelli Douglas on Eddie Floyd’s “Knock on Wood” | Kelli’s stage fright bubbled up from her core and right through her pores like air bubbles in a living-room fish tank — opening the door to an easy win by the explosive, emotive, though not entirely memorable Damien. If he can tap more into the stuttery “ah-ah” ad-libs that Pharrell so excitedly mimicked, he might stand a shot in the public voting rounds — but Adam will need to give him more current, relevant material if he opes to still be on TV screens come Thanksgiving time.

3. Team Adam: Matt McAndrew defeats Ethan Butler on Coldplay’s “Yellow” | I know folks seem to love the tone of Matt’s voice, but to my ears, he overplays the “sensitive” quaver of his voice to the point where it’s occasionally distracting. And while Matt’s willingness to stick to Coldplay’s outline made him an undeniable winner against Ethan’s rock-solid but with one-embellishment-too-many approach, I fear the coaches are pushing the bespectacled indie rocker so aggressively so early that he may find it impossible to match the hype.

2. Team Blake: Taylor Brashears defeats Bree Fondacaro on Linda Ronstadt’s “You’re No Good” | Poor Bree! She sounded pretty decent in rehearsal, but when she finally took to the stage, her attempt to take La Ronstadt’s melody a little off the beaten path resulted in her getting lost in the deep woods with no rescue party in sight. I mean, if it weren’t for the Voice band jamming out behind Bree, I’m not sure I’d have ever figured out what verse she was actually attempting (and I know my Ronsdadt catalogue, folks!). Taylor, meanwhile, wasn’t spotless, either, but she most definitely nailed the mix of smoky chanteuse and woman scorned that Blake asked for (and that the song requires). Not only that, but Taylor’s wicked upper register makes me wonder if there’s a lot more iceberg waiting to be uncovered in the coming weeks.

1. Team Pharrell: DaNica Shirey defeats Toia Jones on Beyoncé’s “Halo” (Toia stolen by Adam) | Like I said above, DaNica and Toia went at “Halo” like a pair of cheetahs attempting to abscond with the last impala leg. The sheer volume of the entire, epic Battle made my wine glass vibrate, and the emotional intensity behind the words came thisclose to making me Gwen’s misty-eyed double. Personally, I thought Toia’s gruff-belter style fit “Halo” a little more snugly than DaNica’s octave-scaling runs, but I can’t fault anybody who’d have voted DaNica over Toia, for that matter. I’m just glad that Pharrell’s silly decision to put two of his best singers in the ring together didn’t backfire in one of their hasty exits. Still, though, imagine how much less stressful the night would’ve been had DaNica gone against Katriz and Toia against Katriz?

Anyhow, on that note, it’s your turn. What did you think of Monday’s Battle Rounds? Take our poll below, then sound off in the comments!

1. Grampy McGrumperson says:

Wasn’t a Matt fan last time, but the guy was fantastic tonight. And of course, the last two annihilated Halo. Those battles made the night for sure

• Chris says:

IT’S ALL ABOUT MATT!
      Winner of Season 7.
      Calling it now.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Now I’m gonna be Grumpy McGrumperson. I didn’t like Matt the first time, and I hated him even more tonight. As soon as those 2 started their battle, I put the leash on my dog and took her for a walk. No thanks! Still no idea who won, but I guess I can surmise from your post that Matt did.

• Grampy McGrumperson says:

Are you talking about the other guy’s vocal issues at the start of the battle? The performance got even better as it went on, you honestly should have stayed. :d

• Angie_Overrated says:

That and I stayed until Matt started singing. Just not my cup of tea. I honestly would have ranked Matt the very bottom of all of tonight’s contestants. Dunno. I simply don’t like anything he has to offer.

• Grampy McGrumperson says:

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

• analythinker says:

For once, I don’t share your sentiment. Loved Matt (at least on that song). We still have to see… cause Adam tends to ruin it with (old) song choices.

• Sara says:

How can you rank Matt at the bottom when by your own admission you “took your dog for a walk” while he sang? Talk about lack of perspective.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Because I stayed to hear his first two lines and I still did not like his voice. Not sure how that lacks perspective. That’s like saying I hated Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, and A Tale of Two Cities, but I lack perspective on Nicholas Nickleby because I only read the first 400 pages (man, Dickens novels are long). I’ve heard enough of what he has to offer to come to a conclusion.

• bobsaccamanna says:

hey Angie,
            I’m interested in your opinion on Kellie Douglas. I know nerves kind of got to her tonight, but I love the sound and tone of her voice, and think she had a chance to be really good given another opportunity. As usual Adam did a poor job in song choice, Knock on Wood clearly favored Damien’s soulful style, Adam chose Kellie based on her soft, folky version of Danny’s Song, why not choose a song that suited both of them, instead of lobbing up a softball for Damien.
            Lesser talent has been saved, just my opinion but I think Kellie deserved another shot.

Hi, Bob!
            I really liked Kelly, and I said to my husband during their rehearsals footage that she was clearly going to win. But then she didn’t win during the actual performance. Damian wiped the stage with her. She has the voice and as Gwen pointed out, she’s a beautiful woman. What she’s lacking in my opinion is the ability to not choke in a performance, which comes with getting more performance experience.
            As far as how the saves have been used, ugh. I agree with you that Kelly’s a lot better than most of the ones who have been saved. I don’t fully understand what these coaches’ agendas are.

• Typical says:

That’s OK. you don’t need to justify. This is the internet The land made for the opinions based on willful ignorance! No open minds here, nosiree….

• Tyler says:

My 3 favorites were Matt, Katriz and Jessie–all the ones Slezak hated. Ha.

• bobsaccamanna says:

I agree, she did choke last night, she had a deer in the headlights look during the whole performance. It’s too bad because I think she would have been a welcome change to some of the same old thing on this show, she has a subtle power to her voice that I was drawn to during her blind. I don’t think that was a great song to showcase her voice, but I think you’re right, she might have choked no matter what the song.
            Let me pick your brain a little more, are you as impressed with Blessing Offer as everyone else seems to be, because I am not, I agree with Michael that he made a mess of that song last night,and that was a song that should have been right in his vocal comfort zone.
            And on a side note, I can’t stop playing the video of Christina Grimmie and Ed Sheeran from last season, thinking how in the world a girl who can sing like that finish third. I seem to recall you being a fan of her singing as well, in that moment the line was blurred between the established star and the contestant. Oh well, I’m sure there will be a lot more to complain about once this season gets rolling, looking forward to hearing your comments.

• Angie, I think Luke or Reagen might win even though my favorites are Craig Wayne Boyd and Taylor Brashears. Reagen and Luke seem to be talked about the most. Danica was excellent also! Taylor( in the hat and suspenders) is from my state, but I really dont care that much for him.

• Adake says:

I agree Grampy. Matt and Ethan got better as the song progressed and I agree with Kaba, was the best battle of the night with DaNica and Toia right behind it.

• OhMy says:

We don’t usually agree, but we do this time.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Yeah, not understanding the lovefest on this board for the guy, but hey, if they like him, they like him. [shrug] I despise Katy Perry and Adam Levine yet they seem to be doing just fine for themselves without my support.
          And it’s not like he’s Kat Robichaud bad.

• Sharon says:

Very true. Kat’s longevity was a perpetual mystery. As for Matt, I think song choice is going to be more important for him than for many others. Honestly, last night left me kind of unimpressed overall. I would like to see DaNica have a chance to sing, instead of try to out-diva bellow someone else. While I am not a huge fan of old-style country, I’m liking Taylor’s chances to go the distance — aside from her confidence and authenticity, I agree that we’ve only seen the start of what she can do. At least I hope so.

• Name That Tune says:

Listened to this battle on The Voice app this morning. You’re right to feel Grumpy. If you listened and didn’t watch, you couldn’t tell the difference between the two. Neither one did anything noteworthy.

Don’t know why Matt was selected over Ethan other than it’s the typical WGWG choice. Mostly, I was bored with the performance from both

• Tom22 says:

I’m really impressed and enjoyed Matt and look forward to more. I thought Katriz was pretty amazing… Stevie ! wow.. Mostly because of her attack and sense of rhythm.. I found the girls that did Halo terrible .. the drummer had to slow down into the dummy version showing them every down beat by mid song the girls were so bad at being in any pocket at all…. I guess I’d go with the blond country girl for third … she had a sense of rhythm. I’m all about attack on notes like the rim-shot on drums, cascading triplets… syncopation emphasized for expression and a good voice to do it with. Rhythm isn’t about drums alone..whether you’re a concert pianist or a jazz saxophonist or a singer you’re creating music and the melody and composition is nothing without a primary focus on timing., End philosophy of my personal musical for the day.

All in all though I enjoyed all 7 performances.. they were high quality well worth prime time listening (well I struggled a little bit with the first and last performances but still found them enjoyable enough to watch instead of the next best thing to do). It is a fun show to watch and listen to.. the coaches were also funny and insightful.. fell in love with Alicia Keys second week running..damn she’s attractive and smart. Love watching the coaching sessions…
      … and really.. wow, those were very high level of difficulty songs.. Stevie, Linda Ronstadt, Beyonce … I don’t think many established stars would do too much better than any of the contestants on a number of the songs (well Beyonce … no one is in her league — I’d love to hear Beyonce’s take on “she’s no good” too actually.. she should do more covers huh?)

2. Kaba says:

Think I’ll keep it simple tonight, I’ve got other things to prioritize.
    6. Definitely wasn’t the weakest of the night, definitely wasn’t the strongest
    5. Was middling for me, if even.
    4. Damien sings well, didn’t care for the song
    3. Should be 1…why wasn’t Ethan stolen? Gwen you’re an idiot, stop following the heard in button presses
    2. Nope. I don’t know what you heard, but I heard hell. Bree sounded deaf and Taylor sounded like an idiot.
    1. I would have liked it more…if there were a LOOOOT less runs. I’m talking about DaNica. What the hell?
    _
    How I would have ranked it:
    -600. Bree v. Taylor…if w
    5. Ryan v. Jessie
    4. Katriz v Blessing
    3. Damien v Kelli
    2. Toia v. DaNica (would have preferred Toia winning tbh)
    1. Matt v Ethan

• Angie_Overrated says:

Agree on Danica. Nice voice, but those runs were weird. Runs need to add something musically, whereas I found hers distracting. I thought Toia won that one hands down.

• Kaba says:

I’m pretty upset Toia didn’t win. DaNica just came off as trying too damned hard.

• analythinker says:

As much as I hate to admit, I think Toia won that too. But I still like DaNica’s tone more, overall. She just needs to tone down the runs.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Danica’s voice is very pleasant albeit thin. My biggest sticking point with Danica is it’s kinda karaoke-ish in the sense that she’s not bringing anything new to her performances. Throwing in random runs is not creative. And when you strip her performances of the runs, she’s effectively doing a carbon copy of the originals she’s covering. Nicht gut.
          Luckily the point I just brought up is fixable. If she simply couldn’t sing, that would be a much more challenging undertaking for Pharrell.

• analythinker says:

I totally agree. But we (I) have only heard two songs so far, so I’m still hopeful she can make some songs her own, hope Pharrell can nurture that.

Clearly I was spoiled by David Cook’s arrangements on Idol it’s hard to compare anyone else that follows to that level of creativity and sense of “knowing who they are/their own voice”.

• JM says:

Really? You thought Ethan was that good? I found him to be too ordinary. Personally, the only person I would have stolen was Toia.

3. Jess says:

Well you will hear complaining from me. DaNica and Toia did nothing but scream their way through that battle, throwing in way too many unnecessary vocal runs. They were showing off, not interpreting the song. Listen to Beyonce’s version — at no point does she scream and the vocal runs are pretty short and subdued. Neither Toia nor DaNica seemed to understand the idea of nuance or subtlety.

Ethan’s and Matt’s battle was easily the best of the night. Ethan deserved a steal over Jessie or Blessing. Jessie should have won her battle over bland pretty boy Ryan to begin with, although both are fodder.

• JM says:

Hey, I’m all for subtle and nuance, but I think it’s unrealistic to expect two divas to use subtlety to win a battle. One starts with the yelling and runs, and if the other doesn’t match her, then she looks overpowered and weak. It’s just the nature of the situation.

• Angie_Overrated says:

It’s a competition. If Beyoncé were in this competition, you better believe she’d be running up and down the chords like it’s nobody’s business!

• Tom22 says:

She’d be scampering up with elan and cascading down gracefully, with gymnastic leaps on beat side to side worthy of a ballerina’s expression of the lyrical flow of the music. She wouldn’t simply be running up and down and never shouting and her different notes within a run would have different emphasis in where they lingered and where they attacked based on the blues scales and coloring of words etc. .. Running up and down being emotional isn’t painting the picture of the complexity of the emotion.

• Tom22 says:

and i don’t mean dancing.. any musical phrase should convey some sense of movement even with the musician standing still… slow dirges convey a lugubrious and determined rolling of a large square stone or something .. (being a bit colorful there but think how the rhythm of a square rolling is different than a cylinder rolling… very few perfect cylinders in the world.. always a bump on one part and as that irregular shape rolls in nature the music depicting the world almost always paints ether the poignancy or the joyous bounces from the irregularities.

• Angie_Overrated says:

I think we need to define the word “shouting” here. Neither Toia nor Danica were shouting. Yes, both went full throttle towards the end of the song, but B also goes full throttle towards the end of that song. The major difference here being that Toia and Danica have larger voices than Beyoncé. Not a slam on B at all; I love her. But her voice is high and light, so her version of “full throttle” with have less oomph than that of a larger-voiced vocalist.

• Adake says:

I think that Toia and DaNica sang the way they did because Pharrell and Alicia encouraged them to do so. Not to sing like “back up singers.” I thought they both were great and am glad Adam saved Toia.

• MC says:

Good observation. I noticed that, too. This is tv, however, and the producers believe they need “big” moments. Toia won the battle in my mind because I thought the song was more comfortably in her range. Toia was a great steal for Adam.

• Kaba says:

DaNica and Toia was not a scream fest. So bored of the whole “screaming” mess. God forbid belting happens in a song. It’s as if everyone only wants to heard a song at like pianissimo and call that tasteful. The runs on the otherhand was much unnecessary.
      Jessie definitely didn’t deserve to win.

• analythinker says:

I thought Jessie lost? Even though she was stolen…

• Kaba says:

She did, but whatstheirface said she ought to have won.

• analythinker says:

Oh right. Well, on the before the battle video, Ryan commented on how the song suited Jessie very well, like Adam said. But I agree 100% with Adam’s comment on their battle: that Ryan prevailed, even on the song supposedly more suitable for Jessie.

Which makes me wonder what song will actually suit her?

• will says:

Belting isn’t screaming. Educate yourself on the difference before you comment like that again.

4. Jeff Marley says:

The last battle was the best of the season in my opinion!!! 😃😃😃

• Angie_Overrated says:

Agreed. I have not been a fan of this season, but that last battle was some glorious singing. Bad night overall, but that last battle made up for it.

5. Adake says:

Some excellent battles tonight. For me, the stars were Matt, DaNica, Toia and Damien. Adam and Pharrell’s teams are shaping up to be the best this season. But I’ll never count out Blake with Taylor, James and Reagen being his three country stars. Gwen has Troy, Anita and Bryana. All you need is three great singers to head into the live rounds. Michael, thank you for posting your responses so quickly.

6. Hey Yah says:

Honestly Toia should’ve won her battle. Hopefully Adam doesn’t let her fall by the wayside in the knockouts

7. Kate says:

You put Taylor and Bree’s battle as second best?!? Was I watching the same show? That was one of the worst battles I’ve heard in the last few seasons. They both did nothing for me, very all over the place.
    My favorites of the night were Matt (amazing)/Ethan and Danica/Toia

• Michael Slezak says:

To be clear, I ranked Taylor as second-most-promising winner — which is different from calling it the second-best battle. Poor Bree’s melodic “choices” were hard to handle, as Otis Redding might say.

• DJFL says:

Bree made my ears bleed. She butchered that song – one of my favorites by Linda Ronstadt. I’m glad that she’s gone.

8. JM says:

This was a ‘meh’ night for me. The only standouts were Matt, Danica and Toia.

9. Andres says:

DaNica and Toia won the night. I am so happy that both are moving on to the next round. Hopefully pharell uses his steal to get Toia back. The Gwen battle was not steal worthy in my opinon, both did not sound a lovely at all, in my opinion Jessie won, but it was a bad battle. I really liked Matt’s voice on yellow. And I am really interested in what Taylor might do next in the knockouts I remeber Blake said something along the line of her staying in tune with the classic country and I agree 100 %.
    As of now I and really excited about what Troy, Danica and Toia are gonna do in the knockouts. Hopefully tommorows battle will be better than today’s and hopefully that boom clap song isn’t as bad as I’m going to expect it to be.

10. Davey says:

You’re No Good was not good. Both singers should have been eliminated.

11. Kim Moores says:

Seriously, Taylor vs. Bree was literally murder.
    Bree sounded as though she had mastered the art of pinching her nose while singing without hands
    And Taylor was just plain s***ty.
    Actually they both were.
    And why the hell did DaNica win? I find it just annoying that she was doing all those OTT and unfitting runs through bits of Toia’s parts on the song.

• Angie_Overrated says:

The good news is that Toia’s voice is so much bigger than Danica’s that we couldn’t really hear any of those runs when Toia was singing.

• Kim Moores says:

Really annoyed that DaNica won. She appears to have adopted that Jessie J policy of OTT vocal gymnastics and ad-libs.
        The main difference being that when Jessie does it, I’m actually impressed. Listening to her sing in that performance was like watching an employee at subway stuff as much meat into a sandwich as possible without it spilling out.
        I just hope Elyjuh the diva slayer knocks her out tbh.

• Kaba says:

Poor DaNica is suffering from Tessanne syndrome.
        Mid to late 20s but she looks 45.
        Homegirl looks like she’s the grandmother of the whole panel.

• Angie_Overrated says:

Oh no, is she that young?! That’s sad. I need to send her my skin care regimen stat. She does have a pretty voice thought. It’s thin, but it’s pretty.

• Kaba says:

She’s 25!
            She looks older than Tessanne and everyone on this earth thinks Tessanne looks older than she is. She’s got a nice voice…I still wouldn’t have picked her as the winner of that battle, but it’s nice.

• Tyler says:

Actually, I always thought Tessanne looked younger in the rehearsal scenes than when she was on stage. For some reason the Voice made her look her absolute worst on stage. She even looked pretty good in her interview with Slezak.

• Sharon says:

It’s depressing how often the contestants look so much better in rehearsal than in performance. The hair, the clothes, and often the makeup are almost always better in rehearsal. Women who are larger than a size 6 are often the most unusually styled, and not in a good way. I have seriously wondered if the stylists make bizarre hair and clothing choices for them in a misguided attempt to distract from their size, which is silly. It’s not like we can’t tell if someone is a size 6 or a size 16. Why not just let everyone look their most attractive, whatever their size, shape and age?

12. Tori says:

I wanted to take a breath for Bree.
    Damn, she was taking in air by the gallon.

13. NotSo says:

I don’t know which was more distracting, that hideously cheap wig of toia’s or that horrific grandmotherly updo of danica’s that make her look like a 70 year old. They were both so bizarre that we ended up commenting on those instead of the singing. What were the stylist’s thinking letting them out on stage like that?

14. Brian says:

I can understand why a guy like Pharrell took Katriz, and wanted to keep her if he really is serious about wanting people for his label. She is obviously raw, but he seems to have the right approach in not just going with the accomplished, finished singer and going with raw talent that can emerge into something bigger potentially with the right coaching and maturity in the long run. Why go with someone who has reached their peak and probably won’t get real far despite being super talented? Is his ultimate goal to win a meaningless show or find someone who he can perhaps turn into a star with the right guidance?

• Brian says:

In “real far” I meant that pertaining to career as a potential pop artist as opposed to getting far in the show, but nonetheless I imagine Katriz could get far in the show anyway, particularly if she grows. I like both the last two much better but will they become stars if they signed to his label? I’d give them a 1% chance and Katriz a 2% chance or more depending on how much she can learn to emote, etc.

• Tyler says:

Agree. I have no idea why Slezak was so gung ho about Jackie Lee and dismissive of Katriz because they’re both cut from the same cloth in my book. In other words, they both projected potential from the beginning of the competition with raw material. I just think Slezak has a thing about female Asian singers. He never cared much for Jasmine Trias, Tessanne Chin and now Katriz Trinidad.

• Tom22 says:

I’m with you on almost all of your sentiment but I think of it less about being successful off of the show or even winning the show. I won’t say that those two motivations don’t have a little bit of impact, but I think most of all there is a hope for some really inspired performances that are less likely to come from someone who’s already honed their craft if they’re not showing that raw inspired feel (not acting emotional.. conveying an electricity of reflection of truths and emotional ironies of the world outward). I really believe the 4 on the panel are also true artists who are always hungry for something especially sublime that usually lurks under stoned less turned.

15. Colin says:

I honestly thought that Halo was way over- sung to the point of sounding ridiculous in parts.

16. analythinker says:

Who do y’all think did not make it to rehearsal? (in the preview)

17. brody ashton says:

Can we not give Blessing any more Stevie Wonder songs to sing?….borderline offensive/insulting IMO.

18. Rain says:

I knew I didn’t love it last night but didn’t realize just how much until the poll asked me for my 3 favorites and I could only choose 2 – Matt & Ethan. I couldn’t stand anyone else and I really don’t understand how there were all those steals and Ethan wasn’t one of them!! That Diva-off at the end was just not for me, but I’ll admit I can’t stand Beyoncé either so I’m not surprised. I found Toia least annoying so I was upset she didn’t win the battle, but I didn’t think she needed to be stolen. I was happy Blessing was stolen, I’m hoping Adam will give him a better song and won’t make him wander around the stage like a lost puppy – I really felt like him not having a mic stand or a seat behind the piano was what threw him off in the beginning and he just couldn’t recover from it.

19. Lloyd says:

6. I agree with Michael that Jessie was most likely stolen as cannon-fodder. That’s why I was so upset to hear Blake tell her: “I think you could win this thing.” She can’t. Don’t lie to her face and build her hopes up like that only to just toss her aside a week later. Sheesh.
    5. It was really awkward how they had their backs turned to each other the whole time. I preferred Blessing’s rendition, despite the sharp notes.
    4. Their voices blended nicely, but Kelli was very obviously uncomfortable on stage, so yeah, Damien was an easy winner.
    3. Ethan’s gray ensemble he wore in the rehearsals was so good. O.o He did overembellish the song, though. On the other hand, Matt was OK, but not outstanding.
    2. Bree’s tone was pleasant as a part of duet, but I don’t think I could listen to her sing a solo song entirely with that rasp. I don’t remember her from the Blinds, does she always sing like that? Judges saying how Taylor sounded confident was really befuddling to me. I thought she was stiff and uncomfortable all the while.
    1. I agree that pairing up your two strongest singers is stupid. DaNica is a great singer, sure, but I really disliked her runs. I would have gone with Toia.

20. daezyg says:

6. This is the battle of the generic voices, and which one is more marketable, but if you made me choose between the two, I’d pick Jessie. As annoyed as I am by both of these types of voices (boyband vs. “unique, indie girl”), I’m not sick of the indie girl yet. I’m really sick of the boyband voice, though.
    ….
    5. This battle was just a whole lot of meh for me. I like Katriz, and Blessing is okay, but why Stevie Wonder? I mean, can you get anymore cliche than that?

4. Performance wise, he slayed her, and I don’t really think that was fair to either of them, because it was easy to tell what the outcome of this battle was going to be.

3. I consider Matt and Ethan’s voices a little generic too, but the difference between them and Jessie vs Ryan has to do with more experience, and star quality. This battle took the night for me. Also, I just find Matt to be incredibly adorable. He just loses himself in the music, and I’m really glad he didn’t pick Pharrell, because Pharrell probably would have pit him against Taylor Phelan, and I can’t lose either of them! I’m not one to go for the WGWG, but like James Wolpert from season 5, they got me hooked.

2. Yeah, Bree would have killed it on X Factor, but sadly, this is the Voice. However, she’s not as bad as Kat Robicaud, but Kat was still one heck of a performer. Bree does not have that going for her. Taylor is decent. I think Blake could mold her into something live show worthy. I just don’t understand why people can’t stand this battle, but let Sugar and whats-her-face completely murder “I’m A Survivor”, and say “that was okay”.

1. I expected this battle to happen. I expected Pharrell to put these two against each other. I expected them to belt it out, full voice. I expected whoever pulled the most tricks to win. I expected Michael to put this battle as number one because the big, diva voice is what he prefers to listen to. What I did not expect was not enjoying it. I guess these types of battles have been so overplayed on the Voice that when they happen, I just can’t care anymore.

Anyway, those are just my thoughts.

21. Lol, who is Matt? I didn’t know people actually liked him.

22. DJFL says:

Bree sucks, and I agree with Gwen. She ruined a great song! I’m so glad that Blake let her go so I never have to hear her again.

23. DJFL says:

” don’t bore us with how much your coworker’s sister-in-law makes per hour.”
    HA, HA,HA, HA. I love it!!! Every time I see one of these ads, I flag it.

24. DJFL says:

“the holleration started at a 10 “. This word should be added to the dictionary!

25. DJFL says:

“her attempt to take La Ronstadt’s melody a little off the beaten path resulted in her getting lost in the deep woods with no rescue party in sight.”

BRILLIANT!!!

26. DJFL says:

“DaNica and Toia went at “Halo” like a pair of cheetahs attempting to abscond with the last impala leg.”
    My stomach is sore from laughing so hard! You are a genius!

27. Jill Moy says:

dedI don’t watch this show but I was emailed the singing of the two worst female siners ever! One sounded like Jennifer Tilly talking. The other souded like an animal with a sore throat, raspy and dying…..URG! These singers were just terrible. So glad I bypass this horrible show! These two took the cake!

• Jill Moy says:

Made plenty of typos above. The two singers were (1), the girl with the weird voice who wears that stupid hat most of the time and the other has dark hair and like I said above, sounded like Jennifer tilly tal
      king TWO REAL BEAUTS!….

28. monicaplace says:

So bummed. Brittany was my favorite! Guess one can only be so unique, and GWEN YOU SHOULD HAVE USED YOUR STEAL. Guess for now, I’m on Team Reagan.