DWTS Week 6 Results: Did the Right Couple Go Home?

DWTS-leah-remini-co-host

It’s Week 6 of Dancing With the Stars, which historically means it’s high time for a shocking, teeth-gnashing, out-of-nowhere elimination. But with Mirrorball also-rans like Michael Waltrip, Tommy Chong and even Jonathan Bennett still kickin’ it on the ballroom floor, what’s a drama-hungry viewer to do?

How about giving venerable host Tom Bergeron a sassy, sexy — and potentially unstable – new sidekick? That’s right, Monday’s live show showcased another “switch up” of sorts – last week’s partner swapping debacle wasn’t enough? — as the ballroom welcomed a glittering new guest co-host, Leah Remini!

Would the King of Queens grad (filling in for Erin Andrews, who’s on World Series duty for FOX Sports) bring a welcome burst of spontaneous energy to the proceedings, or be a total bust and tarnish the memory of her fifth-place finish in Season 17? As we pondered that question, we got used to yet another fresh face, newest guest judge Pitbull. (Len Goodman, please come back!)

Let’s high-kick right to the highlights:

DANCE OF THE NIGHT | Alfonso Ribeiro and pro Witney Carson: Still reeling from her string of dismal 5s during last week’s “switch up” dance with Michael, Witney had to lift up an equally pained Alfonso, who sustained a groin injury during his “Carlton” dance. But their sensational salsa was anything but painful. “Obviously, I loved it,” said Julianne Hough, before noting, “I would have loved to see a little more salsa,” citing the dance’s hip hop flavor. But Carrie Ann Inaba was so excited she summoned Anfonso to the judge’s table: “Bend over real quick,” she commanded, before delivering 10 congratulatory smacks to Alfonso’s booty along with this simple comment: “Super hot, I loved it!” A trio of 10s and a 9 (from Julianne) prompted a clearly injured Alfonso to say, “I feel really bad, but that feels really good!”

RUNNER-UP for DANCE OF THE NIGHT | Bethany Mota and pro Derek Hough: Despite a scary, error-laden practice-week clip that spelled impending disaster, Bethany’s tango was mostly magical. Julianne gushed the dance was “pure tango” before adding, “It was sharp … everything a tango should be.” An enthusiastic Bruno Tonioli added, “No messing around … straight down the line, pure ballroom,” before reminding Bethany to keep her elbows down during the dance. Carrie Ann said she was leaning towards a perfect “10” before a minor slip up. The dance earned a string of 9s, and included a special post-dance treat: Leah repeatedly beating Derek with her microphone (“You don’t know what it feels like to get a ‘5’ or a ‘7’ … do you???”).

MOST CRIMINALLY UNDERSCORED | Antonio Sabato, Jr. and pro Cheryl Burke: Not even the mid-week hospitalization of Cheryl’s father (for a seizure) nor Antonio’s ever-improving moves could save this more-than-adequate salsa from scoreboard disaster. “This sucks …the scoring, not you guys,” summed up Leah, after seeing the line of dismal 7s from the judges. “Those are just numbers,” shrugged Antonio, keeping his oh-so-handsome chin up despite the judges’ smack-down.

WORST OF THE NIGHT | Michael Waltrip and pro Emma Slater: Was that an overriding sense of judges’ guilt lingering in the air? After especially brutal reviews last week, the panel seemed determined to be extra-kind to Michael’s wooden Argentine tango. “You actually dared to really try to dance,” said Carrie Ann, while Julianne admitted, “we were all pretty tough on you last week,” before acknowledging the “authenticity” of this week’s dance. The apologies continued when the judges doled out a generous pair of 8s and 7s.

On with the results… [Drumroll please!]

FINAL THREE COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Janel Parrish and pro Val Chmerkovskiy
Jonathan Bennett and pro Allison Holker
Michael Waltrip and pro Emma Slater

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Janel Parrish and pro Val Chmerkovskiy
Jonathan Bennett and pro Allison Holker

ELIMINATED
Jonathan Bennett and pro Allison Holker

“I came here to do this show to have fun … and to bring life back into my life,” said a gracious, upbeat Jonathan of his heave-ho. “I had the best time of my life.”

And with that, it’s your turn. Did the right couple really go home? How did Leah do as co-host? Sound off in the comments!

1. Scott says:

Sadie has surprised me with how well she’s done this season

2. wrstlgirl says:

Thanks for the recap. I had to change the channel. Leah Remini is just not entertaining to me. And why is CarrieAnn always so damn horny.

3. Meg says:

Michael and Tommy should have gone before Jonathan. I also find it interesting that Jonathan never did a standard/smooth dance with Allison. Makes me wonder if she can’t do them since she’s not trained in ballroom.

• Margaret says:

I was about to say “I thought she did ballroom well when she was a contestant on SYTYCD,” then I went back & looked at the routines she did, she never did a standard ballroom routine while she was a contestant either, the only ballroom routines she did were Argentine Tango (twice), West Coast swing, & salsa. I’m sad to see them go, I enjoyed her partnership with Jonathan.

• Cathy Watson says:

Michael is just HORRIBLE. I cringe every time he (so called) dances. And yes, although I like Tommy, he isn’t too much better. Jonathan did a good job this week.

4. JBC says:

Love Leah, she is so much better than Erin. Sadie and Mark had such a beautiful dance.I think they were underscored by Bruno & Julianne. I don’t understand how Julianne could give an 8 to both Sadie and Michael??? Michael did do his best dance this week. Sorry to see Jonathan go. Glad Len is coming back next week. I do hope Alfonso is not hurt, he and Whitney dance beautifully together. I am sure Tommy & Michael have huge fan bases, but they are the bottom 2 imo. Antonio was better this week. Lea, Bethany, Janel, Sadie, Alfonso were all good this week. Good season.

5. Rich says:

As much as I like Leah Remini on King of Queens, she seems to take that anger with her wherver she goes – I guess Carrie wasn’t much of an acting stretch. DWTS isn’t really the place for her female Rocky Balboa personality. Glad to see Johathan go home. Still can’t find anyone who’s ever heard of him before – this year’s show should have been called Dancing with the Stars and Some Guy Named Jonathan. Michael needs to go already – they need a couple of double eliminations to get down to the five or six who really can dance. Good season but a big gap between dancers and also rans –

• gb5 says:

I also feel that way about Val and Derek’s partners. It seemed like this season there were even more people I had never heard of than previous seasons

6. adam says:

My favorites in the show so far, are Bethany and Alfonso, but last week i was a bit annoyed with the scoring for Janel because i thought the lifts she did were really good. So i was hoping she would have gotten a slightly better score, even though the dance, apparentily was not actually burlesque. Then this week she got a 7 from pitbull, i was not happy with that scoring. I feel like Janel should have gotten slightly better scoring these last two weeks.

7. Eric says:

I think they were the perfect couple to go home this week. Honestly, Jonathan has shown barely any improvement. As for Alison, as much as of an awesome dancer she is, she’s not cut out for this show. She can give some amazing routines, but most of them lack actually content. While entertaining, it ends up being a lot of filler with a few ballroom moves thrown in. She’s good at what she does, but maybe ballroom isn’t her thing. I don’t know. I’ve LOVE to see her return for another season and give us some awesome routines that are actually filled with ballroom content. So hoping she’ll get a second chance to show us what she can come up with for these contestants.

• Meg says:

It’s hard to have more than a few ballroom moves with filler when you don’t have a ballroom background.

Allison is not cut out for this show. Bring back Chelsie Hightower and send Allison back to wherever she came from.

8. Delaina says:

Did the right couple go home? No. NASCAR fans, I know it’s hard to let go of loyalty, but it’s way past time for Michael to exit the ballroom.

I still wish I could unsee his routine last week.

9. jenny says:

the show has gone downhill, it looks like the female jidges are in competition who’ louder and who acting more like a jerk. The new co=host is terrible. So boring I fell asleep before I cou;ld change the channel. Terrible terrible !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. audrey oliver says:

I did not get a chance to view to view Monday 10/20/14 the Steelers were on and l was unable to find what time you were going to rebroadcast.

11. Kim R says:

Where do I write to ask them to please keep Leah Remini on as Tom’s permanent co-host!? :D This was the first time that I didn’t ffwd through the interviews. She was hilarious and I thoroughly enjoyed her. I really liked Leah and Tom’s humour together as well. She was so natural with the dancers. Funny, funny but also sweet. She gets my vote this week. :)

• chistosa says:

While I respect your opinion I found her to be lacking. Truthfully I think Erin is the best co-host they have ever had, She is funny, thinks fast on her feet and connects with both the stars and the pros. I’ll be glad to see her return.

• Care says:

I missed Erin also. Leah had a few tired jokes ready to go, but didn’t listen to anyone or care about any answers. She just wanted to be funny and have the attention on herself. I like her as an actress, but I think Erin is a much more polished, funnier co-host.

12. Meh says:

I am extremely hot and cold with Leah Remini, always have been. I thought some of her interactions were heartfelt and entertaining. Other times she was just obnoxious and not funny. Her highs were okay, but her lows were too low. Bring back Erin! Sad to see Jonathan go. I loooved him and Allison as a pair, but he improved a little too late. It’s only a matter of time before Tommy and Michael go. Sorry, but they just do not improve enough week to week to properly compete against the others. From there it will be tough to call. Loving this season!

• wrstlgirl says:

“Obnoxious and not funny” Yep, you are 100% spot on. I was flipping channels waiting for The Blacklist to come on and saw her smacking Derek in the face with the mike. He didn’t look to pleased about it. Really?!?! How is/was that appropriate. She’s just over he top for me. I loved her as a contestant but as a co-host, no thanks.

13. j says:

No. Michael Waltrip or Tommy Chong should have gone before Jonathan.

14. Diana Hall says:

I don’t think the right couple went home this week. It is waaaaaaaay past time for Michael to go home. I just cringe everytime he dances. His heart is in it, but, bless his heart, he just does not have the dance gene. Tommy and Jonathan would eventually go too as their talent level is just not there with the rest of the dancers. I enjoyed Leah as cohost. She’s a little out there, but fine for a fill in night.

15. Iakovos says:

Why is Waltrip still there?

16. Jan says:

I would have preferred to have Michael go.

17. Paul says:

The show is getting boring. I can hardly get through it with too many commercials and boring quest judges

18. Pamela says:

Someone almost always has to go. I don’t vote but I love the show very much. For me, somehow, America always gets it right!

19. liza says:

Michael should have gone long ago. So disheartening to see great couples go to keep ones that are painful to watch. Val and Janel should never have been in bottom three. The NASCAR fans that are keeping Michael should realize that only good dancers should continue.

20. lisa says:

Leah did so much better than Erin

21. Aleine says:

Reasons I Won’t Watch Anymore…Since 2008
    I .No class,no respect, …like the first few years
    2..Really Seriously? Keeping Carrie-IN-OPTA…?
    3..The clothes just keep disappearing..look up real BALLROOM DANCING …SO VERY CLASSY AND STREAMLINED…
    4.Bruno and his dialogue …REALLY ABC …REALLY?
    5..DOES ABC REALLY NEED THE CO -HOST/What a waste of money and time….goodbye

22. Shirl says:

Michael needs to go HOME. He is terrible and Jonathan was much better than him.

23. What Michael is even doing there still??? C’mon, he have to go, he basically didn’t move at all!!! You have Tommy, who even if forgets the choreography at least actually dance and MOVE across the floor, you have no excuse to be prostrated in the middle of the room, giving two steps max and looking bored as hell. Just go!!!

24. Margaret Davison says:

I believe Erin does a much better job of co-hosting. Leah is not very impressive – too pushy and a smart aleck – she should go home and stay. Hurry back, Erin!

25. lolo says:

I love Tommy, but he should have went home before Jonathan. They need to never invite Leah to come back to co-host. She is the worst, when she hit Derek with the microphone, I almost broke my tv. PLEASE DWTS!!!…Never have her on again!!

26. Margaret says:

yes, the right couple was eliminated