Post Mortems

Secret Disservice: Scandal Actor Talks Damning Twist, Fitz's Anti-Jake Agenda

Scandal jake Killed Fitz Son

This week on ABC’s Scandal, Secret Service agent/B613 mole Tom Larsen was called on the carpet to answer for his actual whereabouts just prior to the election, seeing as surveillance footage shows him stealing from Fort Detrick the strain of meningitis that was used to murder the First Son, Jerry Grant Jr.

Yet rather than reveal Rowan to be the puppetmaster behind the attack, Tom fingered Jake, whom he had previously agreed to partner with in taking down the B613 boss man once and for all. TVLine invited series vet Brian Letscher to answer some burning Qs about the big twist.

TVLINE | Ever since the events at the end of Season 3, were you kind of waiting for the guillotine to fall on poor Tom?
No question. You’re always looking out your side mirror when you’re on Scandal in general, but I did not help myself by carrying out those orders, that’s for sure.

TVLINE | What was your initial reaction when you read that it was Tom who infected Jerry Jr. with the meningitis?
The initial reaction was of course shock, because we’re not told those things before the table read. I was simultaneously horrified that my character would do that, yet excited that I would get a chance to be in the middle of things a bit more. But stepping outside of it, you must find a way to get over the horrifying-ness of it and justify it as a character.

TVLINE | Now, clarify about this week’s episode — why did Tom finger Jake for the whole scheme?
I don’t think he wanted to. I really don’t think he wanted to. However, he also thinks he doesn’t leave that building alive. This was the only chance he has to survive, now that Rowan’s in the room, with that authority. If I say it’s Rowan [who ordered Jerry’s death], I have no way of proving that, none. So the only answer I have in the moment is “Jake Ballard,” if I want to live to see another day.

TVLINE | My thinking is that when the president didn’t come out from behind the glass after Tom asked for him, Tom must be thinking, “Wow. I guess Jake didn’t get to him SCOTT FOLEY, TONY GOLDWYNwith the evidence. And if Jake didn’t get to him with the evidence, maybe Jake actually doesn’t have my back. So I’m going to re-up with Rowan.”
I think there’s always that possibility, for sure. You never know who is going to pull the rug out from underneath you. As soon as the president didn’t come out, I thought, “Wow, I’ve lost him. I don’t have him.” And I don’t think I have Jake either, if there was no evidence. Rowan was like, “I’m all you have,” and as horrifying as that is, it was true.

TVLINE | One thing I am still a bit puzzled about is why Fitz brought in Rowan in the first place. Is it simply because, as Command, he’d be able to get whatever is needed out of Tom?
I think so. As Command, he’s got a psychological edge on you. He’s trained you. He’s clearly adept at manipulating people – Tom maybe to the nth degree. On the [park] bench, he calls me his “golden boy,” so I really feel like Tom feels like he’s let down his “father.” As such, the president knows Rowan can break through any wall that Tom is going to put up.

TVLINE | I have to wonder if Fitz, even subconsciously, was kind of steering this narrative, to get Olivia’s vacation buddy out of the picture.
Right? That’s the fun thing about this show, there are always two or three answers that make sense or are a possibility, because there are so many streams that cross.

TVLINE | Might Tom be presented with one more opportunity to make things right?
It’s going to be tough. It’s going to be really tough, because we don’t know where he’s going at this point. We know he was handcuffed. In that last look between him and Rowan, Tom was saying, “You’ve saved me, right…?” But even when he gets that look from Rowan, it’s hard to believe him.

TVLINE | And who knows where that packet of evidence is now.
Exactly. I certainly think that it’s not in the hands that Tom wants it to be in! The repercussions, not only of killing Jerry but also of giving up Jake in that way, are going to be felt by multiple people in multiple ways.

TVLINE | But we’ll definitely see you again?Scandal_BillyChambers
It’s safe to say that that’s going to happen, yeah. How much and where, I can’t say.

TVLINE | What is it with the Letscher Brothers playing such sketchy types on Scandal? [Brian’s brother Matt played Billy Chambers.]
Yeah, right?! I think it’s the blond hair. Bad guys are always better with blond hair!

Want more scoop on Scandal, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Sam says:

Bad storyline direction.It stinks badly.

2. TVFan says:

Nice twist we will see how it plays out. Tom won’t be alive much longer.

3. Carm says:

I just can’t wait for Olivia even more than Fitz to find out Rowan is the killer of Jerry and Harrison. If she doesn’t find out soon I am not going to be happy about it.

4. Andrea says:

I really don’t like this story line. If they put Jake down in the pit or kill him I will walk away and find something else to do on Thursday night Football won’t be one forever .

5. The Beach says:

This show has kinda fallen off a cliff with its plot lines, starting with the President personally smothering to death a Supreme Court Justice. I know it’s a political soap opera but c’mon on. At least I did enjoy Olivia going off on the boy’s parents…reminded me of Julia Sugerbaker.

• RReg says:

What was the president supposed to do exactly? Let her tell the ADA that the election was rigged?

• RReg says:

I’m curious about something: in your opinion, what exactly should Fitz have done with Verna the Supreme Court Justice?

• Asta says:

Accepting that everyone on this show has blood on their hands, he did the right thing to protect his presidency and no-one going to jail. And hey, she was going to die anyway.

6. bj says:

I definitely didn’t like this twist either. I want to see Rowan outed as a liar and a murderer and I want Jake to stay in the show, not off to the side somewhere in a pit or a jail cell.

• Cheyenne says:

It’s only the 4th episode. You want everything resolved so early in the season?

• MiaB says:

That’s what I keep thinking. Everybody is all upset because they think they’re going to split up Jake and Liv or they’re going to keep apart Fitz and Liv. Dang, just watch the dern show! I’m enjoying it myself.

7. Lexie says:

I like this plot twist. This show is supposed to be over the top and do things that could never really happen in real life. I hate to like Papa Pope but Joe Morton is just so good in the role I’m always memorized by his scenes.
    And I know I’m in the minority here but I just don’t like jake as a character. Love to look at him though!

8. Carolyn says:

I am getting a wee bit uncomfortable with the men in Olivia’s life treating her like a whore – what with Jake’s booty calls and Fitz’s dominating comments and Olivia squirming with discomfort but taking it? My husband is feeling the same discomfort. Is Shonda trying to tell us that is what it is like for highly successful black women or is it just entertainment. If the latter I am done. If the former I wneed to hear Olivia is not OK with it.

• TomTrain says:

She squirms with discomfort with Fitz? Haha Haha Haha. Heavy breathing arching her back touching his ears using her tongue? Discomfort with Jake yes. Fitz no! Lol lol

• croaker says:

Not talking about the sex. Talking about the discomfort when he is bullying her before the sex. Ambivalence is present it’s true. But he certainly does not treat her as an equal.

• Ola says:

I don’t think Fitz bullies or treats Olivia as a non-equal partner, rather I think Fitz is Olivia’s weakness. In their relationship and sexual life, Olivia is the submissive party. Olivia is powerless with Fitz as well as Rowan. With Jake, Olivia is the power and the dominate sexual partner.

• croaker says:

Thanks for your point of view. That is what comments are about andI appreciate that. You too Tom Train.

• Asta says:

That is the dynamic of their relationship and she better be used to it because that it is exactly how he will treat her “if” they move to Vermont. They will become so bored with each other if they moved there. Jake and Liv have day to day to life experience, Fitz and Liv don’t.

9. TomTrain says:

I love tom and Brian who follows me on Twitter.. It was a shame to see the President not go to Tom. But understandable in the eyes of the father of the boy Tom killed.

10. C. Sweet says:

I was floored by the episode. Though I have to say, it sure adds some suspense waiting to see what will happen to Tom and Jake. I have to admit that I like the Jake/Olivia story line better than the Fitz/Olivia story line. I think Jake and Olivia would be a better fit, and I can like myself better at the end of the day for wanting them to end up together. I am worn out by the Fitz and Olivia thing, to the point of not caring. Also, Jake is way more handsome. Home they don’t throw him under the bus with Tom.

11. Lambsilencer says:

Here’s another theory. Maybe Fitz actually does suspect that it was Rowan who gave the order. But in the current situation, he might have found a way to get Jake out of Liv’s life for good. That’s why he called Rowan to come in to do the interview, because he knew Tom would not finger Rowan if he was in the room with him. And then, the only other person Tom could finger was Jake. Maybe Fitz counted on that, and knew that this would remove Jake from the picture, even though the wrong person (but still a murderer) goes to prison (or worse) for it. The things you do for love…

12. lolita says:

I will be do glad when Olivia s father gets his ass busted and he has to pay one way or another for killing a innocent kid. He is evil. There is no way he can justify what he did. He is a sick and evil person. How can Olivia be. so gullable to believe what he said knowing the kind of man he is?

13. Ann says:

I hope Rowan is caught, lets not forget Charlie told Jake the truth of Harrison and that Liv’s mother is still alive. Charlie will get a visit from Quinn when she finds out they are holding Jake. I really hope the story of Jake and Liv continues I think they really love each other and I’m sick of Fitz he deserves to be with his wife and never have Liv again….

14. Ann says:

If they let Fitz kill Jake and Fitz would even believe such non sense Im done watching, Liv deserves to be with Jake and Fitz needs to stay out of her life.