Good Wife Shocker: Archie Panjabi to Exit, Headline Own Drama Pilot

Archie Panjabi Exits Good Wife

Kalinda’s boots apparently were made for walking.

Emmy winner Archie Panjabi will exit The Good Wife at the close of Season 6, our sister site Deadline reports, at which time her current pact with the acclaimed CBS series ends.

“Archie is an amazing actress who helped build Kalinda from the ground up as an enigmatic, powerful, and sexy character,” Good Wife creators Robert and Michelle King said in a statement. “It’s been a pleasure to write for her, and we’ll be sad to see her go; but we still have her for the rest of Season 6, so let’s not exhaust our good-byes yet.”

It’s no secret that Panjabi has had a strained working relationship with Good Wife leading lady Julianna Margulies — when was the last time Kalinda and Alicia breathed the same air? — but a source close to the show insists to TVLine that any alleged feud played no part in Panjabi’s decision to leave.

Next up for the actress: As part of a brand-new development/holding deal with 20th Century Fox TV, she will headline an unnamed drama pilot, to be filmed this spring and considered for the 2015-16 TV season.

Panjabi’s exit will mark the second consecutive season that The Good Wife will have sustained a major cast change, after male lead Josh Charles’ Will Gardner was written out of the show last spring.

Barring death, how would you write Kalinda out of the show?

1. justtobesane says:

Not surprising. This show has been treating her horribly for a while now. Good luck to Archie!!

2. Regina says:

Not sure I would consider this a shocker considering the direction her character has gone since the falling out with Alicia… But it will be interesting to see how they handle it.

3. Steven says:

Sad news. I’d rather them have spun her character off into her own shown

• Carol says:

OoooooH….what a great idea!!!!!

• DW says:

That would have been fun. But I think she will go into Witness Protection or just disappear due to Lemond Bishop. Sorry to see her go.

• Marilyn says:

I could sure watch Kalinda for an hour long show. She is just too cool. I’m a 61 year old grandmother, and I can’t get enough of how she takes care of business. Another one is Shaw, on Person of Interest. Fabulous character.

• abz says:

Can you imagine Kalinda on Person of Interest? I think she’d be great on that show. She has a lot in common with both Reese and Shaw (all quiet, secretive, mysterious, soft/emotional at times and of course, most importantly, badasses). I’m picturing it now. :)
        I would completely be on board for a Kalinda spinoff. I hope her departure at the end of the season leaves room for her to at least guest star or do a small arc in the future should the Kings change their minds and go beyond their 7 season plan. I don’t see why she can’t come back at some point (if they don’t kill her off hopefully) since one of the many things TGW does well is have their guest stars constantly coming back.

• Andrea says:

I agree with you. Archie Panjabi’s Kalinda is spot o. And I like Shaw too

• Thrudaroof says:

I agree

4. Lisa says:

I will really miss her but basically all she is now is Carey’s girlfriend. Just don’t kill her please.

5. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Pickle8182 says:

The second nail in the coffin that will soon house the death of this show.

7. Mary says:

You can all thank Margulies for this. SMH

• justtobesane says:

truth

• Dmac says:

She dislikes her and her character. She was getting a bit too popular.

• Denise says:

Really? I consider Christine Baranski to be the biggest competition to JM in terms of popularity. I would hate to see her go or her character reduced.

• justtobesane says:

Baranski got more popular as the series progressed and her role increased, whereas Panjabi was more popular in the beginning and her role began to decrease.

• Baileigh says:

Does anyone know when Christine Baranski’s contract with the show ends?

• Samantha says:

I agree! And Julianna & Christine are great together. They both are stellar. No reason whatsoever for Julianna to be envious as suggested by some! Ridiculous !!!

• Babygate says:

I see I’m not the only one that feels that way.

• justtobesane says:

Clearly something happened between Margulies and Archie Panjabi. Between Margulies’ rude comments about the character of Kalinda, AP’s shrinking role on the show and the show’s refusal to include a Kalinda/Alicia scene, I think it’s fair to say that something went on behind the scenes. As Margulies gained more control over the show (becoming a producing in the third season, the Kings stating that she has sway over the writing), Archie keep losing out. I’m glad she’s leaving.

• Imzadi says:

Well, that’s also a way with coming up with an explanation and finally believe it’s fact. Oh the wonders of the internet and people spreading what they believe happend behing the scenes. It’s kind of sad.

• Tav says:

Julianna has always rubbed me the wrong way and with Josh leaving and now Archie (whether she was forced out or not) it would seem Julianna is a pill to work with, to put it mildly…

• TV Gord says:

Again, spreading gossip. There’s no indication that she is difficult. This is the sort of comment that others have picked up and spread. after five or six years on a show, it’s not uncommon for actors to want a new challenge. Look at E.R. Look at SNL. Look at M*A*S*H, for goodness sake.

• Marilyn says:

according to interviews with Josh Charles, he was getting married, and wanted time to be with his new wife. I never heard any comments anywhere that indicated there was anything wrong between he and JM. I fact, he had very complimentary things to say about everyone in the cast.

• JJ says:

Yeah that’s not remotely true. Josh said he only stayed on for part of last season specifically because Julianna asked him to and because they are good friends and she helped him get the job in the first place. He has never said anything but complimentary things about Julianna. You shouldn’t make things up like that. It’s rude and disrespectful.

• Samantha says:

Julianna Margulies is NO diva. Where & how can people support their posts & comments about their allegedly existing conflicts? People are so quick to judge & jump the gun. Julianna is professional, classy & humbled by her success.
            I believe Alicia’s falling out with Kalinda has kinda been confusing to some. Regardless, given the rumors were true, in LIFE, no work place is perfect , but why would it just be Julianna’s fault? It takes 2 to break or make any type of relationship.

• Samantha says:

Amazing how easily ppl can point fingers? More power to the show, it survived the loss of a huge character Will played by Josh Charles. I want them to bring back Robin the other private investigator. Loved her more than I did Kalinda.

• Leslie says:

Why do you say that? She’s not a diva actress

• TV Gord says:

It’s amazing the way people believe the rumors that people make up on the internet.

• Liz says:

::Sigh:: here we go.

• taahimar says:

You know it! -love Alicia, but can’t say the same of Julianna.

• G. says:

Yeah. I’m pretty much boycotting her future series as a result of her venal bitchiness.

8. Ingmar says:

No surprise there. Everything to have Alicia and Kalinda not to interact…

9. Steven says:

That’s too bad, but Kalinda never gets much to do anymore anyway.

10. Erica says:

I’m torn. I’m going to miss Kalinda, but I hope she’s given a shot at a great new show that has an actual chance of succeeding.. She’s very talented and will be missed otherwise.

11. Kymberlie says:

With the exit of Josh and now Archie I wish they would wrap up the good wife it has had 6 amazing seasons because the writing was fantastic but ultimately the casts chemistry was dynamic and exciting. I’d hate to see them make the fatal mistake of dragging it out too long. I love this show but I love it enough to let it go

• Saif Salman says:

It’s only gonna go for 7 seasons. According to the show-runners, anyway.

• worthymagic says:

I would appreciate it if you let me know where the showrunner said that it will only go on for 7 seasons. The Nielsen ratings aren’t taken into account, because every time this show goes up against a new episode of The Walking Dead, it gets CRUSHED LIKE A GRAPE! CBS uses some weird system when deciding what to do with this show. As long as Julianna Marguiles, Christine Baranski, Chris Noth and now Connie Nielsen want to keep this show going, I’m pretty sure it will keep going. I’m sorry Josh Charles wanted to leave; I think he will regret it down the road. I’ve never heard anywhere that this show will only be on for 7 seasons. I guess We’ll see.

• Susan says:

The kings have said a few times that they only saw the show going 7 seasons. There was an episode of “the writers room” where they discuss it. JM said she would play Alicia as long as the kings wrote the show.

• Steven says:

It was always envisioned to have 7 seasons. it only needs 1 more to complete the story anyway.

12. Sally says:

That is such a shame, she was great on this show! I wish her the best of luck in whatever she does..

13. Michelle says:

…..as first reported by the Hollywood Reporter.

• rowan77 says:

Ease up. Their post date is only 7 minutes before TV Line’s. Obviously a press release was sent out and the articles were written at the same time using the same source material.

• Abby says:

I’m sorry, is anyone claiming an exclusive on this? Didn’t think so.

14. SS says:

:( I love her. , this disappointing

15. Ray says:

She deserves it. Sindhi power!

16. abz says:

This is so disappointing. She’s one of my favourites. There’s likely only one season left for the show, I wish she could’ve just stayed. Anyway, hopefully this will lead to the show giving her a really juicy and interesting arc this season.

17. Miranda says:

This isn’t a shock at all. The rumors that Julianna wanted her gone have been swilling around for the last couple of years. And everyone has noticed their characters haven’t shared scenes or physical space since season 4.
    I’m sad to see her go. Though it is very very curious that this exit is announced right at the top of the new season, when she won’t be leaving til the end of it. And contrast that with the way Josh Charles left… Very fishy…

• dude says:

Well, Josh’s exit was crafted as a surprise death. This leads me to believe they’re planning a proper send off for her.

• CK says:

Well, I assume they announced it due to 2 things, 1) Archie pursuing a headlining role on a fox drama, and 2) the assumed feud between her and Julianna. Due to the other show starting production in Spring, Archie’s departure was going to be discovered anyway and this way they can get in front of the news and avoid it being attributed partly to the behind the scenes feud.

18. Jan says:

Oh, no!!!! My favorite character (badly mis/underused over the last few seasons).

19. Tom says:

I absolutely love Archie and Kalinda and I’m going to miss both of then terribly. This does add weight to my theory that we will see Kalinda brutally murdered by Bishops guys by season’s end. For those saying the show should end before it gets bad, you’re in luck because season 7 will be it’s last as has always been planned by the Kings.

• Stacey says:

I disagree. She will either go to jail for killing her husband or flee due to perceived danger or fear of jail over whatever happened to her husband! They can’t kill another beloved character, and it wouldn’t be the shock value that they got with Will.

• Amie says:

I thought of the Bishop issue, too. Maybe she will just disappear and no one is sure if she went on the lam to avoid Bishop’s thugs or he had her killed. After they leave the question hanging for awhile, I would love a shot of Kalinda on an island with a mai tai to finally answer it.

20. Yoki says:

Have they shared any scenes together this season?

21. CMarie says:

They can’t kill her off at least. Unless they want to write a six episode arc (in the final season, to boot) where Alicia has a nervous breakdown about all her people being dead…

22. cdhaskell says:

I still can’t believe that Archie will be leaving the series. I hope that the show won’t killed her off but allow her to return in a guest star role. I wanted to wish her all the luck with her new show.

23. Jared says:

This just ruined my day!

24. I’m hoping they end Kalinda’s run with her running off with me to Borneo…

25. Sarah says:

They basically wrote her out seasons ago.

26. Stacey says:

So I figure Alicia will win. And the action will between Florrick, Argos, Lockheart and the State’s Attorney office. With Robin being either Alicia’s top investigator or will earn a promotion if she’s still working at FAL! I guess it was a matter of time, there wasn’t much for Kalinda to do. Especially since the big reveal about Kalinda and Peter!

27. CactusRose says:

I will miss “Kalinda.” Archie was fabulous in that part! I wish her the best of luck and hope that she does actually get a lead in a new show. The description of what she’s leaving for does not sound like a sure thing. Such is Hollywood! Good Luck, Girl!

28. Celesta says:

Can I just say what everyone else is thinking? This is a terrible idea and we all know she’s been underused this and last season because there’s something going on behind the scenes. I’ll assume it’s something to do with Julianna Marguiles since she’s also a producer on the show. This sucks. I pretty much only watch The Good Wife for Kalinda.

• dude says:

The funniest thing about this to me is that Julianna Margulies is the least essential part of The Good Wife the way I see it. That role could be played equally as well by hundreds of actresses.

29. Jeri Dickinson says:

I love Kalinda, I would love to be her

30. Andrew Hass says:

I’m not surprised by the news but the good news is the actress already has something in place. However i don’t think The Good Wife will kill Kalinda off but just have her take another job opportunity elsewhere.That way Kalinda could always come back from time to time.

31. Lucy says:

Good luck to Archie. She didn’t have a choice considering the last 2 seasons. And I knew all that Cary/Kalinda stuff was too good to be true. They’ll get screwed up in the end indeed. So let me bet…she’ll save him from Bishop and they she’ll go into witness protection? Cary always gets the short end of the stick in the personal and professional field.

32. Luis says:

Frankly, the misbegotten story line with Kalinda’s ex-husband Nick marked the beginning of the end for her character. Her relationship with Alicia never recovered from the revelation of Kalinda’s one night stand with Peter, and her on-again, off-again relationship with Cary was never compelling enough to develop into a full-fledged story line. Archie Panjabi is a compelling actress who deserves to have a show built around her, and I look forward to seeing it. Here’s hoping the Kings find a way to say goodbye to Kalinda that shows the actress and the character the respect they deserve. (Please, please, please, don’t kill Kalinda off!)

• sarah31733 says:

This!! They never seemed to make a decision on who or what she was and watching them screw around with the her/Cary pairing has made me lose respect for both characters. Kalinda for using Cary for info and Cary for not having a backbone when it comes to Kalinda. I hope they build an excellent show around her as Panjabi deserves it.

33. Linda says:

One of the best characters on tv… mysterious, sensual, strong and fearless BUT I did note fear on her face when dealing with Bishop, so maybe she just disappears with a few clues to make us wonder
    WTF?

34. Andrea says:

I’m sad for The Good Wife, but I think Archie is terrific! I will definitely watch her pilot. Much luck to her.

35. ingmarhappy says:

I bet Lana Delanay will seduce Kalinda to work at the FBI with her after all. Either that, or she is going to jail / run away for things to do with her husband. Both of those story lines are still open, so it could be either one of them. I dont think they will kill another character. The show is too good for that imo. I at least hope Alicia and Kalinda will have ONE scene together before she goes. Only one will do. Let them fight. Let them make up for real. Do something!

• Alejandra says:

I agree, I want Lana back before she leaves the show. Don’t want her to die. She deserves much more considering how misused and underused her character was these last two seasons.

36. CW says:

I will definitely miss Kalinda. This makes me sad, but I’m not surprised given how little Archie Panjabi has been used during the last several episodes. What a waste of an extremely talented actress. I’m certainly interested in her new project.

37. Leanne says:

she will be missed. she adds a lot to the show but hasn’t had a lot of coverage lately. The show is going downhill losing 2 of its most important characters. I like Margulies a lot but she cannot hold the show on her own. that leaves only 3 major characters…Alicia, her husband and Diana.

38. jj says:

Not surprising, her character has felt kind of useless in the show for a while now. Wish her all the best!

39. cannoir says:

Ugh! You know I am always annoyed when a good show only has ONE regular person of colour and consistently write terribles storylines for her character. Calinder has served every single white person on that show , even random guest actresses boned her , then the fellas tapped that too . Six season and all she has on her cv is role a secondary character that never flourished . This is a tragedy .

40. Jared says:

As strong as the writing is on The Good Wife, Kalindas storyline for the past 2-3 seasons has been pretty weak. Clearly the writers didn’t know what to do with the character which is ashame because Archie is a phenomenal actress. Happy to see her topline her own series. I’ll be watching!

41. cp1945 says:

I’m dismayed to see all the blame Julianna comments. Kalinda has been a dark force on the show for years. She spied on the departing attorneys for David Lee, resulting in their loss of prime office space; she betrayed Cary to benefit Diane; and I don’t see how any Florrick/Agos original attorney could trust her. And as for her relationship with Alicia, sleeping with Peter plus the above would make any role for her in the new firm dicey at best. This great show continued strong without Josh Charles, and will do so now. I’m not ready to settle for 7 seasons.

• CK says:

Um… Are you having trouble separating the show from reality? Most of the comments on the show that blame Julianna are commenting on facts and observances that have nothing to do with her character. This is quite simply is a case of an actress being let go after being tossed to the side for a few years and many feel that this may have to do with a behind the scenes feud, more so than what storyline the writers feel like dragging her down with.

42. Tee says:

I can’t blame the actress for wanting a better part, she’s really been underutilized by the writers… the botched husband storyline, and they can’t seem to do anything with her besides her convoluted romantic life, it felt like she had more potential earlier in the show.
    Still, I had been holding out a small hope that they’d find a way to work on Kalinda and Alicia being friends again (awkward and all but Kalinda’s misdeeds were before they were friends) – boo.

43. Jolene says:

Really going to miss her talent. Maybe she will have to leave because of her affair with the Governor since his wife is now running for Attorney General or whatever office it is.

44. Only a matter of time before egomaniac Marguilies runs Baranski off too. Doesnt want to share the screen with anyone. What a pant-load she has become since this series gained popularity, and for JM to think it is all because of her is so so so offbase.

45. Deion says:

LOL, Archie is a great actress. It will be good to see her out of this element. But you know how it is personal between the two actresses? Never mind that without being a writer, Juliana can guarantee that Alicia and Kalinda will never be ok again, but when Will died in that shocking fashion, Kalinda called Alicia and was gone by the time she got to the hospital. We didn’t even get a silent look across a casket at a funeral acknowledging one another’s pain. Diane, Alicia, and Kalinda were all rocked by the death, but only two of them get to commiserate onscreen. Not even for dramatic effect. That’s personal.

46. Dani says:

This is not really a surprise and looking how this season is going for Kalinda so far it’s not shocking either. Adding the strained working relationship between AP and JM I’d say it’s best for everyone involved when she moves on.

As for the show, I think the 6th season still shows that The Good Wife has a lot of potential. The Kings still are able to come up with fresh ideas. The character of Kalinda isn’t really needed to keep the show alive. AP is popular but the character hasn’t done much since that horrible storyline with Kalinda’s husband. Don’t think it’s going to hurt the show much. Will was a much bigger loss.

47. Remell says:

For a lawyer Margulies does stupid stuff. I love Kalinda’s Character! If Kalinda had the same time slot I would watch her show over Margulies!!!

• Denise says:

You mean, for a tv lawyer?

• Pagan says:

Hoo, boy. You seem to be a bit confused between real and fictional people. Julianna Margulies is *not* a lawyer. She *portrays* a lawyer. “Kalinda” is the name of the character that Archie Panjabi *portays*.

48. carol says:

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! please says this is a lie
    wtf Kings?
    I dont care kalinda cant go
    TGW is my fav serie and this hurt my heart seriously

49. caarooliinee says:

noooooooooooo! this cant be true
    WTF KINGS? I dont care kalinda cant goooooo!
    TGW IS MY FAV SERIE AND THIS HURTS MY HEART