HBO to Launch Netflix-Style Stand-Alone Streaming Service

hbo streaming service standalone 2015

It’s not just a cable network, it’s HBO?

The premium channel’s chairman and CEO, Richard Plepler, announced that the company will offer a stand-alone HBO streaming service — one that is not linked to a cable or satellite-provider subscription — in 2015.

“That is a large and growing opportunity that should no longer be left untapped. It is time to remove all barriers to those who want HBO,” said Plepler, who was speaking at the Time Warner Inc. Investor Meeting. “So, in 2015, we will launch a stand-alone, over-the-top, HBO service in the United States. We will work with our current partners. And, we will explore models with new partners. All in, there are 80 million homes that do not have HBO and we will use all means at our disposal to go after them.”

Plepler did not specify how HBO would charge for its new Netflix-esque offshoot — whether by monthly or à la carte fees.

He pointed out that at present, the U.S. has some 10 million broadband-only homes, a number that is projected to grow in the coming years.

Are you excited about the prospect of accessing HBO without any ties to your cable company? Or will this news not really affect your viewing habits? Sound off below!

1. Gary says:

I hope this starts a trend. If ESPN would do something like this, I’d be ready to cut the cord for good.

2. Coal says:

The King is dead, long live the king. Okay maybe not just yet, but binge watching is the best man.

3. Andrea Hill says:

Yes! We dropped our satellite service because it was getting so expensive and so many channels we didn’t use. We missed having HBO but couldn’t get it. Now we can! We have Netflix and Hulu and save $100 a month not having satellite. Would love to see more channels do this so you only pay for what you want!

4. Jon says:

Since they’ve already tried this to some success in Scandinavia (charging monthly at the same level as Netflix) I’m happy to see the US get the chance too.

5. kirads09 says:

IF this allows me to get GoT and not have to have Cable or Satellite? I am all in.

6. Dennis says:

I am totally signing up for this!

7. mollytanner says:

I would expect broadband companies to increase the cost of internet service as a result.

8. hipster says:

The beginning of the end for cable…. thank god. Now if only the Mouse House lets ESPN do the same with WatchESPN. It’s easily the most sought after cable network out there.

• CK says:

Not in the slightest to be honest. Your cable provider controls your broadband service and how much they can screw you over on streaming speeds pretty much depends on where the FCC is politically at the time. Not to mention many providers impose bandwidth caps and require you to switch to a higher plan or pay for extra packages when you go over. It’s pretty much just the beginning of a redistribution in the cost and fees that your cable provider is going to charge you. Instead of paying for basic cable and getting HBO added, you probably are going to paying for a “suggested” speedier connection because HBO-flix doesn’t “run smooth enough” on the entry broadband package.

9. S says:

So….none of my favorite HBO shows will ever be coming to Netflix. That’s lame.

10. dj says:

love the idea

11. E says:

We have already cut off from Direct TV but missed access to HBOGO. I am so glad they are doing something like this! I have been hoping they would!

12. RachelScribbles says:

I’m kinda confused… how is this ‘new’ service different from “HBO Go”?

13. This is most likely going to lead to higher internet prices because of all the bandwith this will be using. I mean I’m already paying $55 per month and IMO that’s already kind of high for cable internet. I have Directv and will try to stick with it as long as I can afford it because I like the convenience of having all my recorded shows on the DVR waiting for me. But, what about people who want to watch American Horror Story, Mad Men, Sons of Anarchy, Rizzoli and Isles, Food Network Star etc? Will each network need to create their own separate streaming service like HBO? How many separate streaming services can families realistically afford to spend money on per month?

14. mtmslg says:

Bye-bye cable companies! Useless middlemen companies! With your horrible customer service and your refusal to give the customer what they want (hello ala carte menu??) no one will miss you!

• Mike Bennett says:

nice to get away from the high cable bills but i question ?? which of the $5.95 companies is going to pay for upkeep on existing lines on your home if the other companies collapse ,sattilites etc sounds great but II see this as an sdd on service only not a revolution .