The Mindy Project Recap: A Kiss to Build a Scheme on

The Mindy Project Season 3 Recap

Lies and lesbians reign supreme in this week’s Mindy Project, which finds Dr. Lahiri accidentally almost ending her new boss’ marriage. Thank goodness for Danny, who comes to the rescue with his nearly unbendable moral code, his pumped-up Staten Island accent and his gray, ribbed A-frame tee shirt, size (I’m guessing here) Boys’ XL.

Elsewhere, Shonda Rhimes loses in beer pong. Intrigued? Read on for the rundown of this week’s episode, “The Devil Wears Lands’ End.”

FROM L.A. TO TOKYO | Dr. Jean Fishman (Getting On‘s Niecy Nash) starts her tenure as the Chief of Obstetrics at the hospital, and she takes an automatic dislike to the Shulman & Associates gang when Mindy, Peter and Danny are late for a staff meeting. When Mindy’s phone goes off loudly, and everyone’s forced to listen to Iggy Azalea’s “Fancy,” that seals it: Fishman gives the Shulman docs the worst slots on the OB on-call schedule.

ONCE YOU GO GIRL… | Min decides to make good by inviting her new boss out for a girls’ day of fun. It’s a success… until Jean gives Mindy a goodnight kiss on the lips. That Lahiri magic entrances another! Mindy shows up at work the next morning convinced she’s gay — and her colleagues’ reasons for why she’s not are pretty funny — and Jeremy and Peter beg her to continue the charade so they won’t have to work any more graveyard shifts. Danny, meanwhile, is resolute that Mindy needs to tell Jean the truth.

So Dr. L (who looks really lovely this episode — different hair? Highlights?) puts on her least-tempting outfit and, with Danny in tow, finds Jean in the hospital lounge. She blurts out the truth about their kiss… just as Jean’s wife, Deb, walks in.

DANNY TURNS IT ON | Now Jean is angry again, Deb is thinking of leaving, and Mindy feels like the only thing to do is to lie more and hope for the best. So she tells the couple that Danny is suicidal over her transgression. Concerned, Deb and Jane rush over to Casa Castellano, where Danny — at the very last minute — goes along with Mindy’s falsehood and pretends to be distraught that his lady smooched another woman. This is achieved via mussed hair, an unbuttoned and untucked shirt, a bottle of wine that he tosses in Mindy’s face, and the aforementioned accent and undershirt. (Chris Messina gets a lot of points for making that over-the-top scene so very funny. And did you see the way Mindy looked at Danny when she realized he was going to help her? As I believe kids these days say, “Swoon.”)

When everything is cleared up, Danny convinces a reconciled Jean and Deb that he feels better and wants to forgive Mindy… provided that she helps him build some Adirondack chairs, makes him dinner every night for a month and gives him an exceedingly nice wake-up call every once in a while. She grudgingly agrees, and all is well.The Mindy Project Season 3 Recap

SCANDAL‘S MY JAM’ | In the episode’s B plot, Peter needs a replacement partner for the Dartmouth alumni beer pong tournament that’s rapidly approaching. Morgan auditions for the gig but is dumped when Jeremy proves he can sink an ice cube into a mug from across the practice’s break room.

At the event, Peter reluctantly realizes that his romantic rival is probably the best thing that could have happened to him — especially after they beat fellow Dartmouth grad Shonda Rhimes (playing herself) in a late round. “Am I the new mayor of Shondaland?” Peter taunts her, celebrating with a baseball-hat-sporting, American accent-speaking Jeremy. And when the guys win the whole shebang, Jeremy proves an even better friend by helping Peter lose one frat nickname “Lefty” — given to him because his girlfriends always leave him for his friends — and pick up another. (I guess “Diarrhea” is better?)

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of the episode? Are you jonesing for more Niecy Nash in your Mindy Project? Do you think the asides about Danny and Mindy’s sex life will ever get old? (I’m still very much entertained, but I have the sense of humor of a naughty 12-year-old boy.) Were you psyched to see the Sploderzz guys again? Sound off in the comments!

1. Jess says:

I really enjoyed this episode, and like you Kim, I swooned for Danny. I don’t think the asides about their sex life are getting old and I also laughed out loud with the masculine/feminine comments.

• S. says:

Not sure how they got fixated on the length of Chris Messina’s eyelashes, and I don’t care. “You look like a pony” always makes me laugh.

2. mary says:

I loved this episode. I thought the B plot was freaking amazing. So glad they figured out something for Jeremy to do. I also like the way The Mindy Project does subtle character development/background like they did with Peter tonight.

I don’t think the sex jokes are getting to much, I think tonight we saw the romance back much more with and fun with Danny and Mindy that was what made them so popular. That last scene, that I thought Messina was hilarious in, was so much like when Mindy pretended to be his jilted girlfriend “Got Your Sext.”

• mary says:

oh yeah and I forgot to say- I was really worried about all the guest stars when I read they were going to be on, but I have to say this season the guest stars have really been that guests with the main cast being the focus with the guest being just that guests that support the main cast. I have really enjoyed all them all

3. I.R.E. says:

I don’t like Neicy’s jean character because she is too strong of a lesbian type and she acts worser than Xosha’s Tamara character. I don’t want to see both Neicy and her Jean character ever again.

Shonda Rimes as herself was better, but she is too shy reappear next time.

I hope to see Rhea and her Annette character reappear again.

I know actress Zoe Jarman is doing alternative job as a writer, but she did not quit acting yet nor officially leave this show yet. We already know what’s happening to fox right now and that badly affected all young white women, especially Zoe, in this show. They are rebuilding and Zoe is still a reduced guest currently, so she will appear later this season.

Finally, I hope to see recurring guest actress Allison Tolman as Abby to appear more than two episodes. This should help Zoe’s continued guest appearances in this show.

We already know that this show isn’t strong enough to appear in public, but it build up good criticism along the way.

Next episode in three weeks!

• indigoalex says:

Hahahahaha!!! Yes, the poor white women who’ve been marginalised by the evil network bosses.

You’re so blatantly racist it’s almost funny. I’m surprised you’re even watching this show. Wait! Did somebody tell her/him that Mindy is Indian? :P

Great review and yes, I will never tire hearing about their sex life. Thanks for sharing! :)

• I.R.E. says:

Indigoalex, why are trying to say that offensively to those poor white women for no reason?

These poor white women should never be abrupted out of this show to quick. Besides, zoe might return as a reduced guest ASAP. She is doing an alternative as a writer for workaholics trying to get money earned to catch up with this show.

• S. says:

What does “she is too strong of a lesbian type” even mean? Pretty sure her “type” consisted of being into another woman and that’s it. Do you prefer the lesbian type that…likes guys? So confused.

4. pam smith says:

I love,love all the shows.. In one sitting, I looked at like 6 episodes all at once. Mindy is refreshingly funny. I like all the characters. When will Mindy stopping kissing all these strange guys?

5. Allee says:

Loved Jean and Deb. Hope they’re back soon!