Sleepy Hollow Recap: Don't Believe the Pipe

Sleepy Hollow Season 2 Recap

Around Sleepy Hollow‘s second episode ever, I decided to make like Abbie under the spell of a mystical flute and happily follow where the Fox drama chooses to lead.

Partial nudity-requiring Native American scorpion juice? Sure. Ugliest rag doll in history turns into Andre the Angry Giant? OK. A police lieutenant who can afford Olivia Pope-worthy leather jackets on her public-servant salary? Of course!

But this week’s installment prompts me to revise my loyalty, just a wee bit. Because even though everyone from Tom Mison and Nicole Beharie down to the guy who paints Moloch’s horn tips* swears that Ichabod and Abbie are not at the beginning of a slow burn romance, “Go Where I Send Thee” delivers a different message.

A brief, but related, digression: There’s a moment in The X-Files‘ second season, just after Scully is kidnapped by Donnie Pfaster, where Mulder explodes in anger and wonders aloud how no one saw a “pretty woman” get run off the road. I remember thinking at that exact moment, “He loves her” — and while I didn’t need immediate payoff on that suspicion, it provided very entertaining (and ultimately correct!) subtext as the seasons rolled on.

I get the same feeling from this week’s Sleepy Hollow, which finds the Witnesses sharing moments both flirty and fraught. Am I reading too much into this fun little show, dear Sleepyheads? Maybe my noggin is screwed on as backwards as Andy Brooks’, or maybe we’re at the beginning of a beautiful more-than-friendship. Either way, let’s review what happens during the hour.

*Full disclosure: I’m kidding. I have not actually interviewed the person who touches up Moloch’s make-up. But find me someone associated with this show who does say there’s some Witness-on-Witness action in the offing, and I’m a gilly-gaupus.

BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP YEAH! | Let’s start with the most important development in the episode: Ichabod now can drive. Though he fakes nerves at first, those quickly fade as he fasts-and-furiouses around a parking lot while Abbie hangs on in the passenger’s seat. (I’m assuming Miss Jenny taught him those e-brake turns?) Off of seeing Crane so proud of himself, Abbie notes, “I’d say you’re well on your way to independence.” His brows narrow. “In case something happened to you,” he finishes. Wow. Way to bring us down there, Ich.

He continues. “Hear me, Grace Abigail Mills,” — and you can see Abbie think, “Damn, full name and everything?” — “It is not our fate for one of us to bury the other. We shall be victorious or defeated together.” Aw, Witness bonding moment! Plus, he continues, “we’re building our army” against evil… which might be overstating it a little there, Crane. In addition to the two of you, there’s Jenny, Irving (captive) and Katrina (also captive). That’s not even enough to mount a ninth inning rally against evil.

PIPER? I BARELY KNOW ‘ER! | The monster of the week is the Pied Piper, a Colonial era man-turned-demon who lures 10-year-old girls from one of Sleepy Hollow’s founding families to their deaths. He does this by playing a flute made of bone, which issues a tune so sweet it compels people to follow it wherever the monster wishes. Because the missing girl, Sarah, is the daughter of Abbie’s former foster care case worker and a 10-year-old from that family, Ab is really determined to bring the kid home.

Abbie and Ichabod find the bone flute (sounds dirty, but it’s not) in the forest, where Ichabod instantly recognizes it as an ancient Chinese instrument and — of course — is able to play it like a pro. The only problem: The flute’s music turns Abbie into a wandering zombie, though the partners quickly turn that into a plus by recording a loop of the music, sticking some earbuds on Mills and setting her loose in the forest. The tune leads Abbie and a trailing Ichabod to the Pied Piper’s lair; along the way, they encounter an injured Hawley, whose run-in with the demon the night before left him bleeding.

ANYTHING FOR A BUCK | Hawley saw the thing take the girl, and he agrees to help the Witnesses if they’ll turn the flute over to him in exchange; he was in the woods, after all, trying to procure it for a buyer. Ichabod is not a fan of this plan, especially after the blonde one’s disappearance last episode. But Abbie says it’s cool, so all three of them find the Piper’s underground hideout, free the girl (who’s still alive) and then blow the place to bits.

Hawley’s all, “That was fun, but gimme the bone now, please.” (Still not dirty.) Ichabod calls him a “privateer” — which I shall henceforth level as a supreme insult at people who tick me off — and Abbie pretends she’s fine with the agreement, but then breaks the bone in half before handing it over. Ab and Ich return the girl to her parents, but her mom seems sad, still.

Back at the archives, Mills and Crane realize that if the Piper can’t take the family’s 10-year-old daughter each generation (to make a new flute, of course), he’ll kill all of the children of the family via illness. And that’s why they find the girl and her mother in the forest, where Mom is trying to sacrifice her daughter to the demon in order to save her other kids. Ichabod and Abbie convince her that they can help, so she surrenders her gun — just as ol’ P.P. himself shows up and starts swinging his sharp staff around. (Side note: Just thinking about how much therapy this child will need throughout her life exhausts me.)

Ichabod executes some fancy sword work in the dark with the baddie, but ultimately Abbie’s the one who shoves the staff through his chest, killing him. “Privateer,” she grouses. (Heh.)

ASSASSINS BLEED | While perusing the Bible in the asylum’s library, Irving has a vision of himself in a black tank top and sweatband, killing Sheriff’s Department officers in what looks like a postapocalyptic scene while the armored-up Horseman of War looks on in the background. Then, the Bible sets itself on fire. Troubling.

When Henry visits, he tells Irving that firing him means that all of the financial assistance Henry has directed toward Macey and Cynthia will disappear. Oh, and he owns Frank’s soul, thanks to that sharp-tipped pen that made him bleed into his signature a few episodes back. The lawyer leaves Irving with this bon mot, which can only fester in a place where there’s nothing but time to think: “Have Abigail Mills and Ichabod Crane done anything but bring misery and suffering into your life?”

Later, we learn that Henry was the mystery buyer of Hawley’s — though Nick didn’t know that. And Henry doesn’t care that the bone is broken, because he’s more interested in grinding it to a powder and then tasting (ew) it. “It’s perfect,” he declares. But for what?

BRING ME JAVA, BRING ME JOY | Meanwhile, the Witnesses celebrate their win at a waterfront café. Ich rails against the “sadistic larceny” of paying so much for “a gaudy hillock of overheated milk atop a thimble-full of coffee” — AKA a cappuccino — but the bliss he experiences upon drinking the beverage changes his demeanor instantly.Sleepy Hollow Season 2 Recap

Abbie giggles at the foam all up in his beard and lovingly — yeah, I said it — wipes it off, giving him a look of such unabashed affection that I have to screengrab it and insert it here as proof that there is, to quote Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, something there that wasn’t there before.

Think I’m wrong? Let’s duel it out in the comments! (Just allow me to grab an ancient sword and some noise-cancelling ear thingees first…)

Now it’s your turn. Thoughts on the episode? Sound off in the comments!

1. Alichat says:

Oh my god…..90% of Tom Mison’s dialogue from tonight should be in the Quotes of the Week. I’ve never laughed so hard during a story about a child abduction. Weird and yet so damn entertaining!

• The opening scene and the cafe scene were the best scenes in the episode because of Tom Mison.

• Lea says:

Tom Mison is cute and all, but he’s more the bumbling sidekick to the BAMF that is Abbie Mills. The woman is constantly saving everyone’s behinds episode after episode and she manages to be grounded and vulnerable and emotional at the same time. And honestly Crane complaining about the 21st century and the founding fathers is starting to wear a little thin.

• Uh uh says:

Not exactly true. Who saved Jenny in the season premiere? Who got Abbie out of purgatory? Though she decided to stay and spy, Crane’s plan to rescue Katrina in ep. 2 DID work. They both do their fair share of saving.

• Lea says:

Crane would still be in a mental institution if it weren’t for Abbie Mills. And Abbie would be just fine off at Quantico training to be an FBI agent.

• Fall says:

Cough Cough, really?

• Actually, I’m stumping for Irving to get Quote of the Week with his line to Henry: “You are the Biblical Horseman of War. You didn’t think that was relevant?”

2. KHarv says:

They are oozing sexual chemistry.

3. TvPeong says:

I want to love IchAbbie, but he is in love with Katrina, and I don’t want Abbie to be the outside woman.

• scampi says:

I agree. I don’t want Abbie as a side woman. I like the tender bonding moments but don’t want it to morph into romance. Also given Luke and Andy don’t want Abbie painted as prone to partner with partners.

• juno72 says:

She only dated Luke, she and Andy were just friends although he was kind of obsessed with her. And I think if they get together, it would be well after Katrina died or turned evil or ran away or something like that.

• Sarey says:

That love will start to wane more and more once he finds out all her secrets. It’s coming, people.

4. nick says:

They CAN’T get together- why does every TV show that has a friendship between a guy & a girl have to turn into a relationship or one of them has a crush on the other. They are just better as friends & leave it at that.

• That’s how I feel. Let’s just this one time have them be good friends, not all romancy..

• fidesphilio says:

Because it’s actually really important in terms of equality for black women to be portrayed as desirable, lovable—-worthy of affection and love, the way white women are inately assumed to be. These two becoming an item sends a very important message to little black girls who grow up being told they’re too loud, too ‘sassy’ (and isn’t THAT freighted with problematic grossness!), too mannish to be loved, to be seen as adorable, delicate and to be rescued. No prince is coming for them, society tells them; they’ve got to be their own heroes because it’s all they deserve. If they see Ichabod loving Abbie, holding her like she means the world to him, taking her hand, smiling at her, kissing her—it can show they they too have a place in the world.

• Alexandra says:

I agree with you and I’m a white woman. I feel that in America there is a perception about women of color esp. Black women. That they can’t be beautiful, loved, smart etc. Abbie is all of those things and while I don’t nessacarily need to need to see her with Crane. It would be neat to see her with someone. Maybe Nick Hawley?

• fidesphilio says:

I’d really need to see more of him to know for sure. As it is he feels….suspicious to me. Like there’s more to him than he’s letting on, and not in a good way, you know?

• Angela says:

Yeah, I’m still unsure of Hawley’s true motives, too. Plus, he’s kind got that “surfer guy” thing going on, and I don’t know if I see Abbie gong for that sort of a guy. Maybe she would, who knows, we don’t know a whole lot about her tastes in men.
            I certainly agree that I’m all for her getting some more male attention in general, though, even if it’s just her dating around a bit. She’s an attractive woman, there’s gotta be lots of guys lining up to ask her out.

• flo says:

That’s what people said about Mulder and Scully in the beginning. Spoiler alert: They lost.

• Uh uh says:

But it took seven years.

• Alex says:

I really don’t think anyone is advocating for Ichabod and Abbie to get together right this minute. He’s still married and they still have some trust issues between them (hence why Crane is always going on about trust and togetherness), and that’s why Hawley’s here: to shake things up. But down the line, they’re definitely going to get together. Those two actors have too much chemistry to waste, especially compared to Crane and his wife who just fall flat every time. I expected so much more out of that kiss 2 episodes ago and there was zilch. You can’t fake chemistry, so when you have it, you use it.

• Sarey says:

but it happened tho

• Sarey says:

You are referring to the physical. Which did happen in the 7th year. They were in love long before that

• I agree but I think it would be interesting to see two people explore what happens when grow very close but don’t end up together.

• Jessa says:

That happens on a lot of tv shows where the male and female leads are both white. Interracial couples are much more rare than platonic m/f relationships on tv. What would be rare and cool is if Crane and Katrina got divorced, and Katrina figured out how to be a strong independent woman in the modern era. It would certainly be more interesting than her current situation.

• Uh uh says:

Crane is far too chivalrous and old-fashioned to embrace divorce. Anyone advocating for Ichabod and Abbie to get together is also advocating for Katrina’s death. That’s the ONLY way Ichabod would ever even consider looking at Abbie that way.

• tim says:

sounds good to me. katrina is a boring time suck anyway.

• lisbeth says:

I second that. Katrina can die and Ichabod can mourn and after an appropriate amount of time has passed, he and Abbie can get together. She hasn’t been terribly helpful thus far, so she wouldn’t exactly be a huge loss.

• Angela says:

Exactly. And that would seem rather cliché a route to go, I think. I’m not a big fan of the “kill off x character to make way for romance between y and z” trope. I don’t rule out the idea of them being able to do that and pull it off well someday, it could work…but it often feels like an easy way out to me.

• Deweydell25 says:

Katrina could decide to leave Ichabod. I don’t think they really have to kill her .The writers are saying she and Ichabod are in for a rocky road ahead. I don’t understand why some people just can’t accept the idea of an eventual romance between Ichabod and Abbie. Ichabod did say that in the end ” all they ( the Witnesses) really get is one another”.They already act like they are married and most Ichabbie fans would rather have a slow burn. I’m a patient soul. Good things come to those who wait. Ichabod did not seem very worried about his wife in last night’s episode; he only mentioned her once.

• I’m looking forward to the day when Crane and Katrina finally have to face each other and deal with all the secrets and lies and lost opportunities of their relationship. That needs to happen for Crane to come to terms with the present no matter what does or doesn’t happen between him and Abbie.

• herman1959 says:

Agreed; exactly when is Katrina getting out of Purgatory? Anyway, I think Kimberly is reading too much into things.

• John says:

She isn’t in Purgatory. She is here as a prisoner of and spier on Henry.

• herman1959 says:

To reply to John below: You’re right, I misspoke, I should have asked when Katrina will be rescued. I still feel like she’s still in Purgatory because she isn’t free. Thanks.

5. flo says:

Everything is Icabbie and nothing hurts!

6. why do they have to be a couple? so sick of making couples…Bones, Castle, etc.

7. Jerry says:

I was excited when season 2 got a larger episode order. Now seeing that they are going to be mostly Monster of the Week I want my shorter, focused season back

• Angela says:

I like the setup they’ve got going, myself. Especially since I get the feeling all these little “monster of the week” stories will play a major role in building up to whatever big season battle they’re going to find themselves in down the line. I loved last season, but the shortened number of episodes meant things moved so fast and there wasn’t much time to breathe and take it all in. Spreading things out gives us a chance to do that this time around, putting the clues together along the way.

• Fran says:

Hi Angela, I always see your posts and enjoy how much thought you put into them :)
        Anyway, I agree with you. Last season was fantastic but things did move very fast, and there was barely tome to breathe. Having a few extra episodes allow the story to flow a little better in my opinion. Plus we get more character growth and interactions, which I really enjoy.

• Angela says:

Hi, Fran! Aw, thanks-it’s just nice to hear people actually read my rambling comments :p. I’ve seen some of your posts about, too, and I like what you have to say as well.
          And I’m glad we’re in agreement on spacing things out this season! Especially since, as you note, we get some awesome character development and moments along the way. It’s so fun getting to learn more about these characters, and giving more time to the funny/touching/emotional scenes.

8. I am not liking the way the show is shoving Hawley down our throats so far, I mean he was just in last week’s episode!

• Angela says:

Two episodes is “shoving it down our throats”? Really?
      Also, if he’s going to become a notable player in whatever battle Crane and Abbie are fighting, then, yeah, it would make sense we’ll be seeing more of him.

• Yes but they have more episodes now so they don’t have to have him in back to back episode just because he would accept any job.

• Patrick Maloney says:

And he’s not even a real character anyway, he just provides plot development and an annoyance to Ichabod.

• Angela says:

*Shrugs* Fair point. To each their own. If the end of tonight’s episode, with who picked up his briefcase and whom said person who picked it up sent it to, was any indication, I suspect we might learn more about his reason for showing up as time goes on. It’s obvious he’s shady in terms of his line of work, but whether or not he does wind up turning out to be a bad or good guy (maybe he’s a mole, perhaps, acting like he knows people who work with Henry in the hopes of gaining information for Crane and Abbie?) is something I’m going to be fascinated to see. Are Ichabod’s suspicions of and irritation towards him justified or not? I want to know.
          And I like the way he bugs Ichabod as well-Crane’s massive eyeroll at Hawley joining them on their trek tonight was good :D.
          But it makes sense he wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea, either, so…we shall just agree to disagree :).

• herman1959 says:

…and that is exactly why he Is becoming a real character.

• I don’t have a problem with Hawley but I can see why some already do. He’s been a major part of the last two eps while we didn’t even get to see Jenny or Katrina in this episode. Speaking for myself, I’m open to new characters but I don’t want the new sheriff or Hawley to push Jenny or Irving to the side.

• Sarey says:

I think he was put in there purely to annoy Ichabod and be an interest to Abbie. He just kind of pops up. I try not to roll my eyes but its like: THIS guy again??? His presence either way is not of importance to me. He’s just there. I miss the banter between Ichabod and Irving.

9. juliebestry says:

Mulder’s “pretty woman” comment is the shibboleth by which I judge all reviewers, so yay, you. But, Kimberly, did the raw enthusiasm and passion of Ichabod’s drive through the parking lot, amid Abbie’s screams, not deserve one mention from you? You talk about the conversation just after, but that exuberance surely deserves a mention!

10. sladewilson says:

I tend to lean towards Ichabod and Abbie are more like brother/sister/partners than soon-to-be lovers. I just can’t see it. That giggle was more like a little sister watching big brother do something silly and her line (kinda) confirmed it with her “I can’t with you” and then the smirk. Ichabod and Katrina are lovers. Ichabod and Abbie are family….

• suzi says:

I agree completely. I see their affectionate relationship like conspiratorial siblings with a common goal, and like others here I’d love to see a male/female partnership that DOESN’T end in sex. Bones, Castle, even The X Files–it was predestined from the pilots that the couples would end up together. I don’t see it here, and I don’t want to see it. Their deep friendship can be more meaningful than any romance.

• cory says:

Yeah but all the examples you mentioned were just random co-workers who happened to get together. Ichabod and Abbie are literally meant to be; Crane was dragged through time so they could be together to fight the forces of darkness. This isn’t a trite or cliched situation like Castle or Bones at all. And from a biblical standpoint, them getting together makes the most sense imo, like maybe their future kid has the power to defeat the antichrist or something.

• RReg says:

You don’t see Ichabod and Abbie being meant to be – Are you kidding? How well have you been watching Sleepy? Have you been asleep? For Pete’s sake they are the two witnesses…
        I am fascinated that you think Castle and the female detective were meant to be and that Bones was meant to be with Booth – a man substantially intellectually inferior.
        The only reason that you can claim that Booth and Bones and Castle and the female detective were meant to be – simply because of their ethnicity. It certainly has nothing to do with their on screen chemistry. It simply does not occur to you that they should never have been made a couple.

• suzi says:

I’m ignoring the ethnicity line, because it’s just so …silly. It is fascinating to me, however, that apparently I can’t have a different opinion than you without being criticized My thoughts concerning Bones and Castle have nothing to do with chemistry, they have to do the obvious formulaic arc of the TV shows themselves. They are TV shows, after all. Sleepy Hollow follows no formula, and as I and others have stated, it would be nice to see a pair that don’t end up in bed, despite their obvious chemistry–much of which has more to do with the two talented actors than the storyline—IMO of course..

• Deweydell25 says:

I never looked at my sibling the way these two look at each other.

11. Babybop says:

I don’t know how people don’t see their chemistry… They just look at each other and it’s magic. I’m rooting for them to get together. I can’t help it. It’s Booth and Bones all over again.

• gdv says:

I don’t know how the reviewer is just now noticing the chemistry. She should go back and rewatch S1’s “The Sin Eater”. I remember my husband and I yelling, “OMG, [Ichabod & Abbie] are going to kiss!!!” during that scene where Ichabod is supposed to drink the poison and is saying goodbye to Abbie.

• tp says:

Or the episode where Abbie decided to stay in Purgatory. The way he hugged her and told her not to forget their bond, the chemistry was off the charts.

12. RReg says:

I stopped watching Castle when they made the two of them a couple. I would be fine with Crane and Abby becoming a couple.
    They should make Crane and Abby a couple.

13. Meghan says:

I adore this show. But I’m willing them to not make Ichabod and Abbie a couple. For the love of all things holy, let’s leave it out of this one show, please?

14. clearhaven says:

Lol all I see are proichabbie / against ichabbie comments. What happened to the plot guys? Anyway, it was a great episode! So many cool moments! I find this season wayy better than last season in terms of acting, story line and effects(basically everything). People who find season1 better than this confuse me somewhat. Last season was okay felt rushed, but this season we get to have a peek at the personal lives of the witnesses which allows us to relate with them better.

15. gabbynicasio says:

Not even a little wrong. They’re sickeningly cute about each other. I adore it. Bring on the Ichabbie.

16. juno72 says:

I don’t know why people act like them becoming a couple would be the end of the show or reduce it to a romance. As far as I know the couples in Bones and Castle still solve murders or whatever they did before they became a couple right? Fighting the apocalypse is pretty much a full time job, so I doubt Crane and Abbie would spend all their time making eyes at each other. They have great chemistry and that height difference is pretty sexy, so I’m all for it if/when it happens.

• RReg says:

I agree with you. I believe there is more to the surface comments of not wanting Crane and Mills together.

• Uh uh says:

The same people who don’t want THIS couple to be a couple are also complaining about not liking the couples in Bones and Castle and X-Files, where everyone had common pigmentation. So please do not go where you are going.

• herman1959 says:

Ditto.

• Angela says:

I’ve also read comments from people on this site, and elsewhere, who are opposed to Olicity from “Arrow”, or Captain Swan from “Once Upon a Time” as well. Last I checked, those pairings were strictly Caucasian, too.
          If there ARE people out there who are opposed to Crane/Abbie on the grounds of not liking interracial couples, they’re idiots. That’s a dumb reason to be against a pairing. But I highly doubt that is the reason most who aren’t for Crane/Abbie oppose it.
          Also, some people just aren’t shippers in general, no matter what the show is. Why is that so hard for some people to comprehend?

• tp says:

It’s hard to comprehend because all you have to do is visit other social media sites to see that for quite a few other people it is about that. “Unnatural” is the nicest word I’ve seen used. What’s hard for me to comprehend is how people think that race does not indeed factor in to a lot of things. I don’t want to highjack a thread so let me just say this:
            Whenever someone says they don’t like a gay character, storyline or the like everyone here screams “homophobe” but as soon as someone says they want to see more POC or point out other slights of the like everyone here says “It’s not about color!!” I call bull.s.h.i.t.

• Angela says:

I’ve apparently missed those nasty comments, then. If that is what some people are saying elsewhere, that the idea of Crane/Abbie is “unnatural”, or worse, because of the interracial element, then those people are morons and I’m all for calling them out for their stupidity.
            But in this particular case, at least in this comment section, I do not get the sense that’s an issue among those who object to a relationship between them. I think in most people’s cases, it’s just simple backlash to the shipper insistence that every show MUST have characters get together after a while. Or there’s other reasons involved, too (some don’t see their chemistry in a romantic way, Crane’s married and they don’t want him to cheat, they’re just not shippers in general, etc.).
            I gladly welcome more interracial pairings, and gay pairings, and whatnot, on TV-I don’t get people who do protest such things (I love the thought of Morgan/Garcia or Morgan/Emily as pairings on “Criminal Minds”, and I’ve got quite a few slash pairings I’m a fan of, and so on and so forth). I love Crane and Abbie’s interaction and chemistry, and if, someday down the line, they managed to make it work to where those two could get into a romantic relationship, fine by me. But if they stay friends, I won’t complain about that, either, and I don’t get why it’s a bad thing in some people’s eyes if they do. I just want to watch them be silly and fight demons and whatnot together, and lean on each other in the hard times and have cute, lovely, touching moments of affection.
            But there are valid reasons those who don’t want Crane and Abbie to get together romantically have brought up, and it’s worth listening to those, too. Viewers are just far too familiar with the risks rabid shipping and putting characters together can pose to a show, so they’re starting to voice their concerns when they see things heading in that direction, be it on the show or in the fandom.

17. Elliot says:

Loved the use of a non-Biblical, non-Apocalyptic fairy tale for source material! That kind of thing will give the show lasting power. And I love IchAbbie, the way Abbie said “come here” and he leaned in for her to wipe his face… yeah! There’s more than co-worker concern there. YAY!
    I’m pretty sure, and sad about it, that the strident anti-Ichabbies have a color problem, which is miserable in this day and age (or 250 years ago).

I’m also sad, in a much lighter vein, that Orci & Kurtzman made John Noble’s role so scenery-chewing, vaudevillian-predictable. Walter, esp in Season 1 of Fringe, was much more scary than Henry Parrish; Noble gave him a depth of coldness and arrogance that Parish just doesn’t reach for.. If they deleted it all, ran the clock back and made someone else the horseman of war, and someone else Ichabod’s son, and let Henry be a spooky figure without the over-neat connection to Ichabod, it would be better TV, IMO… this way is lazy writing.

• RReg says:

Yeah – I was thinking the same thing about the anti Ichabbies. I don’t recall ever seeing one single comment against Castle and Beckett becoming a couple nor one against Bones and Booth becoming a couple.. When clearly neither of these two should have become a couple.

It was quite an interesting spin on the Pied Piper. Crane sure is fun when he discovers new technology. His face with the ear buds and the cappuccino; his rants over Hawley – very much on point.

• I’m an “anti Ichabbie” (Great, we’ve already gotten to this point). I’m also a black woman who dates white men (just to get that out there) and I quit watching both Bones and Castle when the partners turned into couples. I have no color issue. I simply know what happens when shows start serving shippers instead of story. In fact Bones and Castle are perfect examples of that. (See also: House, Lost, and anything by Shonda Rimes). The only show I can think of that had the sense to avoid caving in was L&O:SVU and I am eternally grateful for that.

Also I was a big fan of Fringe but I never saw a more chemistry-free couple than Peter/Olivia. Loved the characters as individuals but together they made Crane/Katrina look like a bonfire. Therefore I’m doubly resistant to Orci/Kurtzman trying that again with two more characters I adore.

Can we have at least a couple of seasons of actually story and character development before turning this show into a soap opera?

• herman1959 says:

DITTO.

• RReg says:

I can take Abby and Crane being or not being a couple. It doesn’t bother me either way. Clearly they have the onscreen chemistry if they were to go that route is all I am saying.

I too stopped watch Castle once they became a couple. Bones I still watch, because Bones is fun.

• tp says:

To be fair every Shonda Rhimes show is equally about relationships as it is the story. They have all started off that way.

I thought I was the only one who didn’t see any chemistry between Peter and Olivia. Zero…zilch. Thought I was crazy.

I honestly don’t think they’ll be any movement on the romantic front for our witnesses before the end of the next season. (Fingers crossed we make it that far without a fall in quality)

• You’re right about Shonda of course. I like her shows but the instant way these people fall in and out of love and screw everybody just bores me.

Yay! For somebody else seeing what I saw with Peter/Olivia. To me they had the opposite of chemistry. They were practically inert. Oddly enough, I always wanted to see what would happen between Peter and Astrid. Astrid was like a daughter to Walter and I think the show wasted her character terribly. That’s why it’s annoying and a tad offensive to read the assumption that if you don’t want to see Ichabbie as a couple it simply must be about race. I’ve been pushing for interracial couples on TV my whole life because reflects it the people and couples I see in my life.

• Uh uh says:

If you’ve never read comments against Castle and Beckett and Bones and Booth getting together, then you must not read comments about those two shows. All over the place. All the time. From the minute those shows hit the air. Just like here.

• Exactly. I read that and thought, “Someone clearly doesn’t have Twitter or Facebook or ever went to TWOP.”

• RReg says:

You are correct. I do not have a Twitter or face book or any of the social media accounts. I don’t see the point of them

• @RReg: Seriously?!! Then your statement that “[You] don’t recall ever seeing one single comment against Castle and Beckett becoming a couple nor one against Bones and Booth becoming a couple” is disingenuous. The reason you don’t recall seeing those comments is because you don’t go places where those comments were prolific. It had nothing to do with the race of those characters.

• Angela says:

I’ve never seen “Castle”, but from what I understand of that show, the flirtation was there from day one with them. That was INTENDED to be a romantic attraction, whether or not it actually panned out.
        No, those who aren’t advocating for a Crane/Abbie romance don’t have a “color problem”. For me (and I suspect this is the case with many others), it’s the fact that Crane is married, and madly in love with his wife, that is the main issue/roadblock. I just can’t see him dropping centuries worth of love for a woman just to run off with someone else, I don’t care who it is. I don’t deny one bit that Crane and Abbie have an awesome chemistry, God knows they do, and I adore it. But if they stay friends, this is not a bad thing. I just fear shipper wars could mess up this fandom and show, and I’d kind of like to not go there.
        There are pairings I love and ship on other shows I watch where the couples are the same race. But if they don’t ever get together on the show, I’m not going to throw a fit about it, because there’s more to a series than who gets together with whom.

• RReg says:

I have watched Castle from day 1. There was never any flirtation from day one. That came much later. I don’t know what’s going on with it now, but as I have said,
          I stopped watching it when they became a couple.

And this goes to the whole basis of what shows and coupledom on shows is about.
          Why is it on every single show with two Caucasian leads is it an automatic – THAT WAS INTENDED TO BE A ROMANTIC ATTRACTION… Yet the same doesn’t hold true for this couple?

Would it have been an automatic THAT WAS INTENDED TO BE A ROMANTIC ATTRACTION if both Abby and Cane were Caucasian and we wouldn’t even have been having this discussion?

• Angela says:

That’s not how I’d understood it from what I’ve read from other fans of that show. And from what I understand of the main plot, Castle started following Beckett around because he liked her, so whether or not the actors played it that way from the beginning, it sounds like the show was written with that in mind from the start, hence why it makes more sense that they might eventually get together.
            Speaking for myself, I don’t think every show that has Caucasian leads is intended to turn into a romance, either. I love “Community”, for instance, and one of the big ships on there is the Jeff/Annie one, involving two white characters. I don’t deny they have a good chemistry, just like Crane and Abbie, but if they don’t happily ride off into the sunset when the series finally ends, I won’t be upset about it.

• tp says:

RReg I can agree with you on some things but you are incorrect on the Castle front. Castle flirted with Beckett from the get. The writers even went the way of the tired cliche that he irritated her when in reality she liked him. Laney pointed it out several times.

• tp says:

“Loved the use of a non-Biblical, non-Apocalyptic fairy tale for source material! That kind of thing will give the show lasting power. ”

Yes! I was just saying that. I was hoping that the would pull from all types of mythology to keep the show interesting.

Totally agree about Walter being so much more scary than Henry. I miss Fringe so much.

18. Ian says:

Hmmm. I’m torn, I think. While I see the chemistry, and now that I mention, the lack of any real chemistry between him and Katrina, it’s hard to picture how a romantic dynamic would fit with the show. Right now, I’m more than fine with Ichabbie loving one another like family, they absolutely belong together, and it fills my heart enough to know how attached they are to each other.
    I just want the mythology and the storyline to go even further now.

19. How can they not start a romance, his wife has abandoned him for the Horseman, and Abbey is sooo gorgeous .

20. Nick says:

Ichabbie = Never gonna happen. Call your bookies, I’m taking bets.

• claire says:

Stop complaining about them eventually being romantic and enjoy them as just friends as they are now. And then when they do become romantic, don’t complain about how they are romantic if you’re are not going to appreciate how they are platonic. So much whining in these comments.

21. I don’t see Crane/Abbie as a couple. I see them becoming family. Abbie, Crane, Jenny, Katrina, Irving, and now Hawley. These are all lost souls who have found a purpose in each other and are bound together by something way larger than themselves. That’s more compelling to me than shipper trolling. JMHO.

• toni says:

Love and romance is not “shipper trolling,” it’s a part of real life. Realistically, these two people are fighting for their lives and they may very well die, according to the Bible, within the next seven years. Why wouldn’t they embrace love if it’s right in front of them. Abbie’s too hot to die single.

• Not getting with Ichabod hardly means Abbie would die single. She had a life before Crane. Both Andy and Luke were shown to be attracted to her and for good reason.

• RReg says:

True true true. :-)

• Angela says:

Abbie’s too hot to die single
        That’s…an odd way to put it. One’s attractiveness shouldn’t be tied to their relationship status.
        Not to mention, plenty of women lead single lives and manage just fine. It’s the 21st century now, many women are capable of leading independent lives without being tied down by relationships. And if she ever were to die on the show, she’d have family and friends around her at the end. Those relationships and that sort of love and support can be just as meaningful as that of a boyfriend/husband.

22. Gem says:

How could Ichabbie not happen considering the way Katrina is portrayed in this show. I feel like a lot of ppl who are against them becoming a couple has more to do with their thoughts on race and interracial relationships than anything else which is sooooo freaking sad. I’ve seen countless of shows where this is the norm but I never hear quite the complaints unless we have a situation like this. People Jus STOPPP! ITS 2014 GOT OVER YOURSELVES AND EMBRACE!

As for the episode itself I believe its the best so far this situation. Crane made me laugh so hard in so many of his classic musings. The chemistry between these characters is impeccable and the interaction is so on point. I was glued to my seat for the entire episode and wow a character like the pied piper brings back so many childhood memories that I almost wished that he hadn’t been killed. Definitely it was A+

23. Well if this show does try going down the road of pairing up Abbie/Crane I hope they watch a few episodes of “Leverage” to see how it’s possible to pair up characters without turning the show into slave to the ship. Both Nate/Sophie and my beloved Parker/Hardison managed to get together without derailing the family vibe that made that show one of my favorites.

• RReg says:

Who said anything about making it a slave to the ship? If the telling is handled correctly, it can become a wonderful icing on the cake. As much as I dislike the Bones/Booth pairing, I wouldn’t say Bones has become a slave to the Ship.

24. barbara ruffin says:

I love the episode and all the little nuances that made it happens.. on those words I see the pure chemistry between Abbie and Ichabod and if a romance happens it does but I sure don’t see a slbling kind of thing that people keep alluding to.. Maybe once they deal with the issue of his wife and if a romance happen I certain that i wont be this season or the next because I’m sure they got bigger things to do then start one now.. With that being said episode itself was good far better than the last one. True I don’t care for the Hawley character maybe cause he just seem like a douche to me. but maybe once he realize that there is some freaky stuff happening he will be on #teamwitness without the hope of getting something out of it.

• RReg says:

I’m in favor of the Crane/Abby pairing like many others. I don’t think any of us are saying make them a couple right now. We are simply saying that this should not be off the table simply because it’s an interracial relationship. The relationship should develop over several seasons. I frankly don’t understand why the writers would let such good chemistry go to waste though.

I like Hawley: He adds a bit of zest to the show and puts a bee in Crane’s bonnet. Can you imagine how much Crane would froth at the mouth if he started hitting on the Lieutenant?

• Bellmari says:

I agree with you 100%. I am not expecting Abby and Crane to become a couple right now, but I hope that eventually in future seasons (providing the network doesn’t cancel the show later on) that they will be together. There is no chemistry between Crane and Katrina; even in the episode where they kissed it felt flat. I don’t know what the future holds for Abby and Crane but I hope they will remain together. Concerning Hawley, I think that he will be Abby’s love interest as the season progresses, and their flirting and innuendos is going to create jealously with Crane and he is going to despise Hawley a lot more, which it is going to be hilarious.

25. nik says:

Love these two! They make this show. I think the reason we often see patterns in tv regarding “partners” getting together is because at some point it just feels right and happens organically due to the chemistry of the leads on the show. I don’t believe it will hurt the show if executed properly. I think their growing feelings could present great interpersonal and internal conflict that I can’t wait to see. I do believe that Katrina will end up making some kind of life sacrifice to save not only Ich, but Henry as well. Also, ppl can say that they are tired of seeing the same scenario play out with leads, but my response to that is to point out that most shows are duplicative in some form or fashion. The nuisance lies in the telling of the plot in regards to the particular characters and their characterization. This aspect is what makes something we’re perhaps accustomed to seeing unique and different.

26. Rich Abey says:

It does look like there is a slow-burning ‘Ichabbie’ romance in the works, but I still think its an unintentional side-effect of the excellent chemistry between the duo and would not lead to a full blown romance. Besides I’m a fan of Ichabod & Katrina (am I the only one….it’s a lonely world out here!) and they do posses excellent chemistry themselves in the few scenes we’ve had between them. Afterall Ichabod married Katrina & it’s not like him to marry someone without genuinely being in love with them, the man abhors marriage being packaged as a contract or a mutli-millian dollar industry…anything other than a sacred act!

• Sarey says:

Sorry, but the chemistry Ichabod and Katrina have is a lie. Let’s not forget – she lied to him. I’m guessing the woman has tons more secrets. And I think she’s evil. I really do. From the comments I’ve read from the actors, Katrina is not a friend to good.

27. Bellmari says:

More than a comment I need some clarification concerning Katrina; so here we go, In season 1, one of the episodes dealt briefly with,Crane is trying to find his wife’s burial site (I don’t recall he ever did find it) and we see throughout the subsequent episodes that she is trapped in purgatory. Did she really died back in the eighteen century or was she somehow sent to purgatory without facing death? We know that 1. Crane was basically resurrected into the 21st century by one of Katrina’s spells,2. his son did not die but remained alive buried for centuries surviving on roots, and 3. the headless horseman was brought back to life by Moloch with the help of Harry Parrish; but I don’t remember any of the episodes ever explaining how Katrina landed in purgatory, so it that means that she is really dead, and the Katrina they are dealing with is somehow a ghost that due to powerful magic makes everyone believe she is 100% human? If they find her tomb will they find her remains or it will be empty? Your comments or theories are welcomed.

• herman1959 says:

Katrina’s body was never buried in the grave with her tombstone, the Horseman’s skull was buried there. Katrina’s coven (4 witches) put her in Purgatory with Moloch as her guard to punish her. Katrina IS human; I hope this helps.

28. Abby says:

I think the reason why many fans support an Ichabod and Abbie romance is that the two characters have shown more chemistry together than Ichabod and Katrina have. The scenes he shares with his wife always feel melodramatic, while the scenes he shares with his partner feel natural and easy. I do believe that the writers never intended for Ichabod and Abbie to get together (Ichabod is married after all, and Abbie is too noble to want him to cheat on his wife), but they probably never anticipated that the two lead actors would convey such a tender rapport between their characters.

29. Alexandra says:

Nick Hawley is a great prospect for the team. …And Abbie, in my opinion.

30. we’ve all noted the chemistry between Ich & Abs since episode 1. Now, the writers are trying to back step & say this ism’ a romantic relationship. I call BS! I think they want us to buy into Ich & Katrina’s marriage and great love for storyline purposes. So we’ll be invested in choices that have to be made or to keep us from sniffing out Katrina’s dark side. But we all know you don’t have a show THIS popular, with leads that are THIS good-looking and that have THIS much chemistry, without it leading to a romance.