Dancing With the Stars Week 5 Results: Who Ruled 'Switch-Up' Week?

DWTS Switch Up Antonion Allison

Week 5 of Dancing With the Stars heralded the return of the wonderful, dreadful and totally unnecessary “Switch Up.” In other words, we were treated to brand new celeb-pro pairings — all chosen (how else?) via your Twitter votes! — apparently intended to provide a much-needed jolt of energy and intrigue to ABC’s legendary ballroom.

Whether you view this “innovation” as a welcome breath of air freshener or an gag-inducing  momentum-breaker, Monday’s live show also dazzled (Jessie J.’s super sexy show opener), dribbled (lots of ho-hum clip segments) and showcased yet another guest judge … none other than Jessie J., who wielded her paddle like she’d been doing it for umpteen seasons!

With no elimination this week to frazzle our nerves, let’s high-kick right to the highlights:

DANCE OF THE NIGHT | Sadie Robertson and Derek Hough: Looking utterly resplendent in silver, Sadie’s high-energy, modern Charleston transported us right back to the 1920s. Jessie J. called the dance really “clean” with great lines, while Julianne nit-picked about some early missteps, but focused mostly on the positive: “That was so great. Every week you come out here and show this different side of who you are.” With a quartet of 9s, this dance topped the night.

RUNNER-UP FOR DANCE OF THE NIGHT | Alfonso Ribeiro and Cheryl Burke: Dancing a sizzling and sexy Flamenco, Alfonso  left his “Carlton” persona in the dust (literally!) with this passion-fueled performance. Julianne praised the new pair’s obvious chemistry and connection, saying “I’m so glad we got to see this side of you.” Bruno called their chemistry “scorching” and equated it to “lust in the dust” before reminding Alfonso to keep a clearer separation (“lift and separate”) between the neck and shoulders, a must for the Flamenco. A pair of 8s and 9s seemed just about right.

MOST CRIMINALLY UNDERSCORED | With tonight’s cavalcade of mostly disastrous-to-mediocre dances, I’d say everyone pretty much got exactly what they deserved, wouldn’t you?

CO-WORSTS OF THE NIGHT | Michael Waltrip and Witney Carson: This Disco disaster may go down in the DWTS hall of shame. If these comments are any indication, the judges have apparently had their fill of Mr. Waltrip’s ballroom exploits: “I don’t think you did one step on time,” said Bruno, while Carrie Ann added, “When you can’t dance, make us laugh … you had me giggling, but I don’t want to giggle anymore.” Julianne’s terse, pointed “It’s week 5 and it’s getting a little uncomfortable,” comment was music to my ears. Amen, sister! Somehow, the quad of 5s felt almost generous.

Jonathan Bennett and Peta Murgatroyd: “I was holding my breath and not in a good way,” said Julianne, whose opening comment on Jonathan’s catastrophic jitterbug was only matched by this zinger from Jessie J: “It made me feel like uncomfortable, I was nervous … like before you go down on a rollercoaster…eeeeh!” The dance earned charitable 6s from each of the judges.

And with that, it’s your turn. Who had the dance of the night in your opinion? And who should be headed home next week? Do you like the “Switch Up” or should it be switched off? Sound off in the comments!

1. Jaime says:

Michael should go home, but it’ll probably be Jonathan. He was mild of the pack fodder anyways, meaning he is probably a week 6 or 7 cut anyways.

2. Meg says:

I really hope this is Allison’s one and only season. She doesn’t do anything for her partners.

• MDEP says:

I actually think her and Jonathan have been slightly underscored all season and that the judges have been a bit harsh on them. I was kinda wondering if it was Allison but then Jonathan did his worst last night with a seasoned pro, so I am not sure the blame should squarely fall on her. And Antonio has been a bit of a disappointment dance wise, very stiff, and Bollywood is tough. I am not surprised he did not do well.

3. kt says:

I honestly feel bethany and Mark were underscored

4. Jami says:

I hope this is the only season for Julianne. She is extremely negative and over the top. She seems to think her opinion is the only one that matters. She really attacks the choreography of the female pros and she is very offensive. I DVR the show so I can skip through comments. If she continues being a judge, I will probably quit watching the show altogether.

• Rhea says:

You are reading my mind!! I used to like Julianne as a dancer and I was sorry to see her go. But after she went out in the world, she started believing her PR agent and she’s come back totally over-the-top obnoxious. Aside from the cleavage in the first two shows, the jumping up and down to get attention and practically yelling what she has to say (you’re used to it with Bruno) gets old fast. And she uses bad grammar, too! She thinks she’s sooooo sophisticated!! NOT! If she stays, I’m gone!!

5. sherry johnson says:

Alfonso excites me with his dancing. They really need to get rid of waltrip. When he dances I go raid the fridge for happy food. I do like the switch offs. It gives us a chance to really understand different teaching techniques. I really love DWTS. I hope Alfonso wins. He was awesome last week. I have wTched the video maybe 15 or so times. Everyone just need to have fun and relax.

• janice says:

Alfonso in my opinion is the best on the floor. He’s not only that talented but so interesting to watch. Since this is a popularity contest I don’t always expect the best to win. I thought Derek-Sadie’s dance was flashy but boring but he’s always a favorite with the judges with or without his sister being one.

• Lena says:

I thought the scoring was a joke. No way was Sadie’s dance the best of the night. And the fact that Alphonso did a professional routine on top of it and the judges knocked down his score was ridiculous.

• MDEP says:

Yes! I agree. I think he was underscored. That dance deserved 10s. Sadie is far from the worst this season, she has rhythm and is cute, but they way the judges score her you would think she was on par with someone like Kristi Yamaguchi.

• I agree that Alfonso was underscored. I have loved watching him dance. However, I always remember that he had years of training while others have had none. The show has never exactly been a level playing field.

• Raj Singh says:

Lets not get crazy, Sadie got the second highest score of the night on week 1. She isn’t a bad dancer, she has been underscore every week, Alfonso on the other hand gets 10’s and 9’s every week. Same with Bethany, the judges have too many favorites

6. Lynda says:

I think Leah always does a great job. Think her being an actress really helps her get into the character. She is just as good if not better than the girls half her age (Bethany, Sadie,Janel). Julianne is way too tough in her critiques. These are pro’s she use to dance with. Lighten up a little . Too harsh! Michael needs to go home. He should have gone instead of Betsy Johnson. She danced circles around him. I think Alfonso will probably win!

7. Lisa says:

I forget about Janel every week. She dances well but I forget her as soon as she is off the screen

They seem to be judging Alfonso as a pro. Last week is the only week they didn’t underscore him.

• Lena says:

I agree that they are judging Alphonso like a pro. It’s wrong. This man is learning new styles of dancing like everyone else and the fact that a couple of the judges gave him the same score at Antonio speaks volumes about how much they suck as judges

• Jakay says:

You forget about Janel because they stick her at the beginning no matter how good she is. It’s the opposite of Bethany. I agree about Alfonso. Previous ringers got all kinds of praise and high scores so even if he is a ringer it shouldn’t be a problem to give him the scores he deserves.

8. This program dancing with the stars is supose to be a dancing competion not— a comedian show results was discusting not watching this programe any more —- get it right channel 7

• Larry C. says:

You’re right, Patricia. You go, girl. Yes, go right now to sign up for a remedial English class. That would be better use of your time.

9. Andrea says:

Some of the scores last night were a little harsh. Yes, some of the dances – Jonathan, were terrible but the judges were being mean like Derek said. Sadie was my favorite, and I thought she deserved a 10 in there. She’s been my pleasant surprise this season, I find myself looking forward to her dances.

10. Nick says:

I agree that Derek and Sadie were the best of the night, but they and Alfonso/Cheryl were both underscored. Lea Thompson scored way too high. I’m actually glad that the scores tonight reflected that Janel and Bethany aren’t as good without Val and Derek. I’ll be satisfied if either Sadie or Alfonso takes it home.

11. Kim R says:

I actually felt bad for Jonathan. Not because I thought he did great but I felt the fault was with Peta’s choreography. There were so many lifts and tricks to fit in, in time with the music, that he didnt’ have a chance. That was a routine for a pro partner. Jonathan has struggled in the last weeks so why Peta thought he could handle all of that is beyond me.

• Jan says:

Oh, wow … ITA!! I’ve enjoyed watching Jonathan, not because of his skill (little), but because of his obvious enthusiasm and effort. Peta’s choreography was WAY too hard! It was painful to watch, because it was obvious he was scared he would drop her.

12. Sadie Robertson is fresh, sweet, and amazing to watch. The Charleston is a classic fun dance and I think she and Derek nailed it. By far the best dance of t he night.

13. Jen says:

I totally agree the judges were HARSH ! & I feel like bad bc we all know Jonathon wanted it this week it was just to many flips and lifts for him . And Bethany and Mark were underscored . Although I have no doubt the top finalists will be Alfonso Saide or Bethany definitely Lea and Janel

14. Can we keep Jessie J and get rid of Julianne? I have always loved Julianne, but she’s way too critical. I’m sure it’s hard for the pros to hear from her when most of them have more experience than her. Jessie J was excellent as a judge.

15. Marynelle vickers says:

i don’t like julienne as a judge I see resentment toward Sadie and I know it’s because of who she is

16. Ken says:

If not Michael, then Tommy should go home. His dances are painful to watch

17. It has been an interesting group of dances-Bollywood, Charleston, contemporary, jazz, modern, burlesque, disco, Broadway, Are all the stars dancing that selection? The scores were erratic. No way Lea’ s dance was deserving of those high scores no was Michael’s dance worse than Jonathan’s. Favorites Anyone?

18. Ronni klempner says:

Who got kick off this week and when. I watch DWTS every Monday but what day do they air who gets kicked off.?