Castle Recap: Not Seeing Is Believing

Castle Recap Invisible Man

This week on ABC’s Castle, Kate and Rick dealt with a clear and present danger, when an “invisible man” seemingly killed a random pool hustler. But all was not as it… appeared.

So we’ve moved on — mostly, save for a light-hearted reference here and there — from Rick’s Great Amnesic Mystery, and it feels good. I’m certain they’ll circle back to it at some point(s), just as the Johanna Beckett Mythology popped up now and again. But short of doling out meaningful answers, which they are in no rush to do, it’s best if we just jump back into fun cases.

I had my doubts when David Amann first told me about the “invisible man” during summer press tour — a “far-out” case where everyone doubts Rick — and the cold open for this episode had me fearing the worst, what with the victim scampering away from no one. But I’ll give them props for going the whole nine yards and having the killer be exactly that — “invisible,” or (to be more scientific) cloaked. And even Kate felt the unseen’s brute force, making her a believer.

My money was on the nerdy neighbor being the ultimate culprit, if only because the ex-girlfriend seemed so meek. But isn’t that always the case with cold-blooded killers? (That said, would she be strong enough to drive a pool cue into a grown man’s torso? Oh, crimes of passion….)

Speaking of passion, a round of applause for touching on the very real story point that Rick and Kate have “gone without” for months — especially difficult for her, since she wasn’t amnesic the whole time! Any while the Martha interruption elicited a quite audible groan from me, the significant portions of rolling around in bed, and then Beckett’s “invisible” boudoir attire, made up for it.

As icing on the cake, we also learn that to start saving for Grace’s $250,000 college education, Ryan is moonlighting as a bouncer…at a strip club. A male strip club. Raising the question: If I have two kids just seven years away from college… Uh-oh.

NOTABLE QUOTABLES | “Did the Invisible Man goose you? Theyre like that, so gauche”…. “Is it Bottoms Up? Pole Position? Oh, The Landing Strip?”/”Men-hattan”….  “I so missed these mind melds!” (We did, too, Rick.)

What did you think of “Clear and Present Danger”?

1. Kourt says:

Anyone who ever ever complains about not getting a Castle sex scene will need to stfu after seeing tonights episode. That scene was so hot, playful and fun. Castle and Beckett (Nathan and Stana) were so into each other. It came across on the screen. Also don’t give me that crap about how Nathan didn’t look like he was into Beckett, etc because that is a load of bull. Dara and Chad gave fans exactly what was missing from Seasons 5 and 6. We had 3 scenes with Beckett and Castle at home which has never happened before. Tonights episode was so great. I loved it so much.
    This was a fun episode filled with wit and charm not to mention this episode had a great balance of humor, romance and drama not to mention fun. Castle and Beckett were great in tonights episode they really that season 2 and 3 banter something that was missing from season 5.

• @Kourt says:

ITA. The scene tonight was actually pretty hot. They did a good job.

• @Kourt says:

One more thing, your post reminded me of—I was pleasantly surprised they had Caskett spread throughout and not just at the end or very beginning like normal. I’m so conditioned to it being like that….well, it was a surprise—but a very nice one.

• Grey says:

I agree with you all. I was tired from work (enough real life drama in that place to create a hit TV show of my own, lol) so I started to drift off to sleep a little. And then the “roll in the hay” came up and I was like, “Okay! Well now. We’re going ‘there’ in this episode! I’m fully awake now!!” LOL!

• Rich Abey says:

Agreed, though I recall Season 5 having a lot more Caskett banter in the precinct compared to S6, at least in the first half of the season before it all went downhill later on. Secret’s Safe With Me & The Final Frontier were particularly memorable Caskett-heavy episodes.

• shirley says:

loved it.
      one of my faves.

2. Kate says:

What a fantastic episode. It had everything we could ask for!

3. skrable2 says:

A solid, fun episode … really what much of the fanbase has been asking for from castle.

But to just say it’s okay for them to drop the amnesia storyline … especially after pulling the football back from the wedding at the end of last season? Nope, they don’t deserve a pass on that score.

They created this awkward new “mythology,” and now want fans to go along for the ride because they gave us a cookie? That’s cynical storytelling at its finest.

Again, it was a fun episode. But there’s an 80–pound gorilla in the corner.

• skrable2 says:

800 pounds. An 80 pound gorilla would just be unreasonable

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I must have missed it when the Johanna Beckett/Bracken mythology was wrapped up after three episodes. I coulda sworn it was parsed out over time. Better check my DVR for a glitch….

• skrable2 says:

That’s not the point I was trying to make.

We went through the Beckett storyline because that existed from Day One, and ultimately brought them together as a couple.

The amnesia storyline was brought in fresh, and out of thin air … and three episodes into the season, we’re supposed to put it on the shelf until they want to bring it back out.

• Lynn says:

Well played Matt! gets tiresome listening to constant complaints from people who don’t seem to remember that Beckett’s mom’s case was also spread over several seasons. This was a fun, sexy episode thoroughly enjoyed it! Sooner or later we are sure to get a non interupted intimate scene, at least I hope so. But this will do for this week!

• RBA says:

I have to agree with Skrable here… The show unfortunately has this tendency to drop arcs for an entire season only for those arcs to magically reappear near the finale when the next relationship angst is needed. In between the characters act as though the events of the opening of the season never happen.

• Mike says:

Castle is not a soap opera! If you want arcs that go day and night, watch, Nashville. The show is weekly story with an occasional two parter here and there with large over reaching arcs. Castle would have been canceled years ago if followed that format great shows do not start with: “Previously on….” each week do not last as the story runs dry. The arcs create the back story of character development, they are not the show itself. Also, I cannot remember an arc being left open and never addressed on Castle anyways.

• KCC says:

Dropping arcs for a length of time is not a tendency, it’s by design. It’s the template the show has always followed and I wouldn’t expect that to change. I thought they setup the down time for Castle not investigating his disappearance pretty well in last week’s episode. As much as Castle wants to know what happened, he is hesitant because of his self induced amnesia, at least with the evidence he as to this point. In the mean time life goes on, Beckett has a job, murders still need to be solved in NYC and Castle still has novels to write. At some point Castle will have a flashback or a piece of evidence will surface that can’t be ignored and we’ll get an episode about his disappearance. Expecting the show to be strictly about that story is not the type of show it is now or has ever been.

• RJ says:

I don’t entirely disagree, but I think there’s an element of common sense that’s being left out here. Common sense suggests even though we’re not seeing it elements of these arcs continue to manifest within their lives in some form. We’re given specific glimpses (usually beginning, middle, and finale), often when these plots are coming to a head in some fashion. It’s simply on us as viewers to connect those dots. I fail to see what’s so bad about them expecting us to use our imaginations to smooth over the cracks. Shouldn’t good storytelling engage us to participate? Where’s the fun in having it all spelled out right down to the last letter?

• bj says:

I was pretty sure it was mentioned in this episode too, when Beckett said she missed it more because she didn’t have amnesia and lose two months.

I thought that was handled in a really cute way.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Mythology arcs are just that — arcs. They emerge and retreat back into the shadows. Funny, all the peeple clamoring for Rick backstory over recent seasons, turns out they apparently wanted it delivered in an extremely specific way.

• nicademus11 says:

And with a side serving of Beckett and Castle kissing for a required length of time each episode.

• skrable2 says:

I have never clamored for a Castle backstory. Poor judgment on your part to lump all viewers together.

They’ve handled the rollout of this arc poorly. The reason last night was so welcomed was in part because of how well-executed it was, and in part because it reminded us all of Castle’s better days.

But to stall the wedding, then give us two episodes of amnesia soap opera … then pretend as though it doesn’t matter … is worse than the DC arc and Alexis’s lack of after effects of being kidnapped combined.

• RJ says:

He said ‘all the people’ not ‘all people’. Disagreeing the way he did to your earlier post is to be expected. Let it slide. Sniping at him for it afterward, especially ineffectively, only reflects poorly on you. Just something to consider…

Anyway, the point is valid. I was one of many people asking for more info about Rick, and it’s true the finale fumbling put a hitch in my reception of it’s arrival. Monday’s episode was a good reminder to step back, chill out, and enjoy the time in-between answers. I like that they’re digging deeper into Rick’s backstory. And, upon reflection, that they aren’t in a blind rush to get there. It’s a character/season arc and we’re heading into episode four. Long ways to go. Time to stop whining about the wedding. Not because the people behind it deserve forgiveness (you meanies), but because endlessly complaining about it only sours what we’re being given in its place.

• DarkDefender says:

And probably why they don’t call them mythology “presents wrapped with a neat little bow”…

• Rich Abey says:

Excatly! Why can’t they see this stuff for what it is?

• Rich Abey says:

Hahaha! The DVR check-up’s gonna take a long though as the Beckett mythology ran for 5 yrs (2009-2014)!!

• Fran says:

The shows tendency to drop and pick up storylines at their will has always been one of the few pet peeves I’ve had with the show. BUT it has been that way from day one and Ive learned to enjoy the ride that comes along with that. And its been this way since the very first season. It could have been executed better, but I don’t see anything new with what they’re doing.

• Very true, for better or worse. Either way, this was a pretty entertaining episode, showcasing the show’s #1 selling point: Castle and Beckett.
        That it also included fun Rysposito and hilarious Martha was a bonus. As for the Caskett make-out fest, good for them all for going for if with gusto and making it believable. Quite unexpected, though the episode was nice even without it.

4. D. says:

Really enjoyable episode. Much needed Caskett was finally given in an episode. Such a classic type of Castle . Hope it continues on in this vein.

5. James D says:

Loved It. classic castle fun and great Caskett moments what else can you ask for. I’m sure the naysayers will find something to harp on but I enjoyed it alot Amann has done really good so far running things hope he keeps it up. looking forward as alaways for next week.

6. Fran says:

A really fun and enjoyable episode. Now that Kate’s moms storyline is wrapped up, the show wanted a new ongoing mystery. Was its execution the best? Probably not. But I get why they did it and won’t mind learning little bits of the mystery over time. The romance was also nicely done in this ep. Very solid.

7. Luli says:

The episode was funny and light hearted and the Caskett moments were great! For me Martha getting stuck in Castle’s trap was hilarious!

8. Nicole says:

While I always love Castle my husband has not liked it as much….until tonight. He actually laughed out loud several times and watched the whole episode. It was funny, had a good case of the week and gave fans everything they could want. A+++

9. V.B. says:

This was a great ep.! So enjoyable. I laughed a lot, I loved the Caskett action, the cotw was interesting because I wondered how they pulled it off (what sort of technology would be used to explain it). A win in all measures. Some great one-liners. I hope we get some more great episodes like this, this season.
    As always, thanks for the great recap. And….two kids the same age? Twins? Wow. Go you. Go your wife! Ouch.

• Elysium says:

I’m one of the usual naysayers and I LOVED this episode! It was so much fun. The whole cast was having a great time. The Caskett stuff was top notch. I wish the Creasy’s and Kate Woods could write/direct every episode. This is what’s been missing the last two seasons. I really, really hope we can see more of this show every week! Congrats to the cast and crew for a tremendous episode.

10. Rick Katze says:

A very fun episode especially with Castle’s theory turning out to be accurate after so many times that Beckett comes up with the answer.

P.S. Matt; Hopefully you’re kids either play sports or ace their SAT’s.

11. Jess says:

By far one of my favourite episodes. It was hilarious, charming and great fun to watch. Can’t wait for next week’s episode. Castle looked like a kid in the candy store in the suit scene and going to the gaming den. I liked him with the sword too. He looked heroic and kind of hot. Ryan and Espito are hilarious as partners.

12. Alisa says:

This was a fun episode, it made me laughed a lot and the connection between Castle and Beckett was awesome.

13. I ve loved every season of Castle and have loved the casket chemistry from the get-go and loved tonights ep

14. lauri5567 says:

Enjoyed the episode and the spread of the more intimate moments.
    Am I the only one wondering when there’s going to be a murder at the strip club where Ryan’s working? Or something connected to the Irish mob? I’m curious.

• Harvey says:

I am wondering too about that! Considering they didn’t say that he had gone to strip club because of anything else or it was something else altogether, they showed he had a job, that has to be because of something that comes up later.

15. DarkDefender says:

First, nerdy sexy. Second, funniest episode since The Way of the Ninja (a personal favorite). Third, perfect balance of funny, creepy, COTW, suspense (didn’t guess the killer right away) and Caskett-y moments.
    My Quote of the week: “and you thought Zombie Apocalypse Survival Camp was a waste of time..”

• Harvey says:

I don’t understand, why do people start guessing the killer at all in these type of shows.

• DarkDefender says:

Natural inclination. The harder to solve, the better the episode. I think most people do it, as we often see complaints when the COTW is easily figured out. No worries.. Every one can watch how they wish. Just keep watching and spread the Castle love, I say.

• V.B. says:

I do the same thing, DD. And you’re right, if you can’t guess, it’s better-unless they some unbelievably convoluted route to do so. If I can predict what’s going on several times in the show in any given part, it’s not as fun. ;)

16. A fan says:

I loved it. From the beginning to the end, Skepticus Maximus Kate got spooked and Castle’s theory became real on the same episode (unlike the ice bullet, time traveler, mob hitman, etc.) It had the Caskett moments from sexiness to humor, the Espo Ryan humor, its case, Gates, this episode didn’t just hit it off with just one aspect, but a whole lot. It’s been a while since I’ve enjoyed a Castle this much, especially when it’s so enjoyable that I simply thought it made the top ten Castle episodes for me just like that

17. Flick says:

This was amazing! The Creasey’s bring their A game every single time and they never fail us fans (proof: Smells Like Teen Spirit!). I thought it was the perfect way to bring back the sexiness and chemistry of Caskett (not that it was never there), I felt they just amp-ed it up and it was perfect!!!

The case was super enjoyable and kept me interested, whilst Martha takes the crown for LOLs tonight haha I could not stop laughing at her!

One of the favourite moments has to be when Caskett are arriving at the crime scene and Castle leans onto that cop after Beckett promised to wear the Valentine’s gift. The season is getting so good, annddddd I’m going back to watch it again!

18. sigh says:

Hmm, I guess I’m the only one that didn’t completely love it–at least the cotw–but I found myself laughing more than usual (like I used to in the earlier seasons) and this is the first episode in a long time where I didn’t think NF was bored. Solid effort from cast and crew.

19. As much as I’d love to complain about the goofiness of the ‘murder weapon’ and Beckett and Castle once again discovering secret government stuff (that’s like, what, the 30th time?) this one really worked for me. Maybe it was the chemistry, maybe it was just how fun bits of it were, but I’m alright with it.

20. Carla Krae says:

The invisibility suit tech actually exists…I don’t think it’s quite to the point to being as invisible as it was portrayed on camera, but a scientist made a poncho/cape with this kind of camouflage some years ago, long enough it could actually be that good now with no set-backs. He was working on it for the military.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I WANT ONE.

• John NYC says:

I saw a fun Halloween costume a while back: take two iPads and link them via FaceTime. Put one on your stomach and one on your lower back: instant see-through body!

• Maryann says:

It is my understanding that the actual suit tech in real life looks more like the shadow view we had when Castle and Beckett were sprayingthe culprit with the fire extinguishers — see through but not actually invisibility.

• V.B. says:

Yes, it does. I actually saw a Discovery Channel documentary on new designs like this they were creating for the military and this sort of ‘camouflage suit’ was amongst them. I wondered if that’s where they would go. I knew it would seem far-fetched though if you didn’t know about the existence of said technology. It wasn’t precisely the same, of course, but close enough. Kinda awesome.

• Rich Abey says:

Being a science major, the impression I’ve got is that this stuff is very unreliable when used in the real world. It’s all good for tests & simulations in the lab but outside it’s crap, which I think is a relief or else there would be invisible soldiers & invisible drones running around, which would freak me & everybody big time!

21. Sheila says:

Ah, a nice silly mystery. That’s all I need from this show. Castle being goofy makes me very happy!

22. Lyn Dowling says:

Wonderful episode; a throwback of the best kind that was entertaining throughout. This is what “Castle” should be.

23. Andrea says:

I really loved this episode. Nathan, and Stana too, does physical comedy so well. Nathan also has some of the best facial expressions. I can’t wait to rewatch this one, it was a good case, wonderful acting, and some fabulous Caskett moments !

24. I kept returning my focus to the computer. In seasons past, Castle prompted me to turn my computer off so I could pay attention.

I sadly suspect I’m over the show — as in, I’ve lost any genuine interest.

25. Badpenny says:

Is Beckett, Ryan, and Espo the only homicide detectives in NYC? How many times in the series has Kate gotten a call while off-duty to come in and work a new case? It happens in the morning, evenings, middle of the night, etc. How do they solve murders when she’s on vacation? :)

• Katherine215 says:

Espo mentioned that they were on-call when he said he smelled alcohol on Ryan, so probably they have a rotation of some sort where they have to be available to catch cases. Not sure if that’s how things work at real life police stations, but I appreciated the continuity factor in mentioning it.

• Tennisnsun says:

I ask the same question about Grey’s Anatomy cast. Are they the only Dr.s in that whole hospital??

• Grey says:

There is an “on call” factor at many police stations both large and small and it’s not just for detectives. I was speaking with a traffic sergeant once and, as one of the veterans of his department, he was often called upon to handle really serious traffic accidents at all times of the day and night. He was thought of as a “specialist” in handling the really, really bad ones. He had recently been called away from the family dinner on a Sunday afternoon (normally one of his days off) because of a fatal crash involving some drunk teens. So there you go.

Also, it was stated early in the series that even before Castle came along Beckett already had a reputation for being able to solve really strange and or unusual homicides. (That talent/gift was why she quickly realized her mother’s murder wasn’t a random stabbing the way it was set up to look.) So it’s not unrealistic to think that, yes, she would get calls at all hours of the day and night to lead an investigation of a murder and crime scene that doesn’t appear to be “not of the norm.” If they were just “regular” “nine to five” type murders it wouldn’t be a very interesting show, would it?

• Grey says:

I meant to say, … lead an investigation of a murder and crime scene that doesn’t appear to be *”of the norm.”*

26. Lupe says:

Just want to say: GREAT episode!!!! an A+++++++………………….

27. Liz says:

Hail the Creaseys!
    Finally, Nathan wasn’t sleep walking throughout the episode.
    Loved to see Beckett sitting on Castle’s chair and Castle on Beckett’s chair
    Perfect episode!

28. Harvey says:

Finally we get back to what Nathan is best at, his world and the the show’s perfect again!

29. Lena says:

Finally ! I haven’t enjoyed a Castle’s episode like that in forever (a “light” episode I mean, I did love In the belly of the Beast and Veritas). It felt like a season 3 episode, but with Castle and Beckett together, which is even more great. I hope it’s the beginning of an amazing season :-)

30. Julie Lamb says:

It was a fun and very entertaining episode. My daughter loved the supernatural stuff at the beginning… she is the right demo too, on fall break. And as the adult with the daughter in the room Martha was the Perfect Prescription. The dialogue at times reminded me of before they became Caskett. :)

31. alexia says:

Great episode !
    But is there something in Nathan’s contract who forbid him to take off his shirt ? It’s more pratical for a man besides …

32. Lena says:

Just one thing, I don’t know if it’s because the character is useless or because the actress isn’t very good (I feel like she has one facial expression) but I really don’t see what Tory brings to the show …

33. CMG says:

Weird. I thought the episode was not just the worst episode of the series, but one of the worst hours of television I’ve seen in a long time. I’m thoroughly surprised to see an almost uniformly positive response here. I couldn’t even finish watching the episode, I thought it was so painfully bad.

34. Briggs says:

I don’t know what I loved more: Ryan’s second job, or the fire extinguisher. LOL Both were very funny. Oh, and Martha unintentionally interrupting a private moment? Gotta love Susan Sullivan. I loved her in Dharma and Greg, and I love her here.

35. Episode was awesome!!! Especially the romance and bromance!! And of course Martha!!

36. Lena says:

I hope they continue to use songs in the background, like they used to in the first seasons, the song “Somebody like you” during THE scene was amazing, I never understood why they stopped doing that, it really make a difference in my opinion.

37. Catherine B says:

Still disappointed, writing is not what it was in season 5 or 6. What sex seen are you people serious. Especially upset with ABC no promoting or advertising for Castle this season, WHY NOT? I feel like ABC has given up on CASTLE.

• Tolo says:

Why would ABC want to spend money on promoting an aged show that has been consistently and reliably bringing in a steady number in the ratings? They’d rather spend it on launching new shows (just like they did for s2/s3 for Castle). It’s business.

38. lame says:

it had all the elements that make Castle unique, Nice to see the continued evolution of Caskett as they actually share their innermost thoughts and desires. The passionate roll on the mattress was long over due, and it’s one more item off the to do list, Fans have been waiting for this since Meridith and Allie Monroe. The problem with check lists is the adventure and magic are lost.We can hope that the next big item is half as successful as this.

39. BrianR says:

More Kate in lingerie please.

40. 123 says:

By the way, what do you think of Alexis and Kate’s tension & Alexis’ PTSD ? Ahahah why Molly does this every year ??

41. Mo says:

You didn’t mention my favorite lines of the show… Castle: “And you thought zombie apocalypse survival camp was a waste of time.” And Beckett replying that he “kind of makes nerdy sexy.” INDEED.

42. Tolo says:

This episode was a prime example of why I watched the show in the first place. No contrived mythology necessary.

43. DarkDefender says:

Wow. Less than 90 comments. What a funny fandom. One of the best episodes in years (some would call it “classic” Castle) and nothing to complain about and no one hits the boards to comment on how great last night’s show was. Wow.

• lame says:

I guess some folks just like to bitch. Last night’s ep. gave them noting to complain about. And I agree it was the one of the best 43 mins. in a long time.

• Mary says:

Exactly! Some people are only happy complaining, and if they don´t find anything to do so, God forbid they would actually praise an episode, lol!:)

• DarkDefender says:

Kinda like “if you can’t complain about the acting/writing/lack of kissing” then don’t say anything at all. :D makes me laugh.. Like uncontrollably laugh out loud.
          Also makes me ask where is that Castle love now?

44. 123 says:

I really really hope they understood that’s the Castle we want to see and I’m not even talking about the making out part (which was great but I suppose we can’t see that everytime ahah). Seriously, it was a perfect episode !

45. carbono says:

1 of the best in quite awhile. Some very funny lines in this ep as well. Loved it! The Creasey’s nailed it! I really wish they were the team to write the wedding ep but I’m pretty sure that ship has already sailed. Oh well.

46. Mary says:

I really loved it! And not exactly becuse of the make out scene (altough it didn´t hurt a bit and was great, lol), but for the s2/3 vibe it gave me, particulary C/B building theory like they used to back then:)

47. lame says:

Give Nathan Fillion a script with some real meat and the guy can deliver. This season should put an end to all the nay sayers. What an auspicious start to the David Amann era.

48. Jackie says:

Did anyone else wonder about the guy they talked to at the pool house at the beginning of the episode? He said “What people say (looking at Beckett) and do (looking at Castle) doesn’t always make sense.” And when he says that to Castle, Rick has an eyebrow-raised look at him. Just part of this episode or maybe someone he encountered while he was gone for 2 months? I may be reading too much into it but it made me wonder.

• Stephen Unsworth says:

I was just thinking the exact same thing.

It’s the music as well in that part that triggered me and if you see the guys expression it looks as if he meant it in a cryptic way to Castle.

Just seems that with the music they meant that to be there, they wouldn’t deliberately put the music there with him looking at Castle if they didn’t want you to think that.

49. Teri says:

Finally some lust and passion. We are sick of begging. Incorporate more scenes like this on a weekly basis. It is what the fans truly want to see. Great episode with great theory building and callbacks from past seasons! Loved it and the Creasey’s writing.

50. DarkDefender says:

This is the last thing I’ll say: this was a top 5 (ever) episode. With Always, Number One Fan, VERITAS and Hunt. ( honorable mentions to Final Frontier, Still – best flashback show for any series- and The Belly of the Beast)

Matt isn’t it about time we had a Castle episode ranking poll? :D

• Alex says:

Not Knockout really ? It still is the best episode of the entire serie for me. i think my top 5 would be Knockout, Always, To Love and Die in LA, Knockdown and Kill Shot but it’s really really hard to choose :-)

• Yo Mama says:

Awww. Knockdown holds a special place in my heart since it was the first episode of the show I ever watched, and it left me intrigued enough to rush out and buy the first two seasons on DVD to catch up. What’s even more amazing, is how I’m still along for the ride, and the Creasey’s episode was an exclamation point to everything I like about the show.

• AL says:

Sucker Punch, Knockdown, Knockout, Always, After The Storm, Veritas .. All my favorite episodes were Beckett’s mother related, makes me sad that it’s over :/ (Even if I know it had to finish someday)