American Horror Story Renewed for Season 5, After Freak Show Sets Record

American Horror Story Renewed Season 5

FX’s American Horror Story franchise has scared up a Season 5 order, in the wake of Freak Show‘s opening night delivering freakishly large numbers.

RELATED American Horror Story: Freak Show Premiere Recap: Odd Ball

With Live+3 DVR playback now factored in, Freak Show‘s premiere telecast drew 10 million total viewers, with 6.5 mil landing in the 18-49 sweet spot. That surpasses previous record holder Sons of Anarchy (whose final season opener last month did 9.3 mil/6.1 mil) to stand as the most watched telecast in FX’s 20 year history.

RELATED Jessica Lange’s Horror Story Exit: Co-Creator Ryan Murphy Tempts Her With a Plan B

With same-night encores added in, Freak Show‘s premiere — which earned an average grade of “B+” from TVLine readers — amassed 13.4 million viewers, with 8.6 mil landing in the demo.

The newly ordered, 13-episode Season 5 will premiere in October 2015.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Dick Whitman says:

Great to hear the news!! Just sorry to see and hear this is Jessica Lange’s last season on the show. 😩

• thisismenow says:

She did this before. I think she’ll be back next year.

• Kristen says:

I hope you’re wrong. I love me some AHS, but for me personally, I’m over Jessica Lange.

• cannoir says:

Me too I love her but I am a little tired of her . Angela Bassett or Frances Conroie should lead season 5 . Both chicas are great actresses.

• Shazay says:

Maybe you’re right, it could be time for her pass to torch to Kathy or Angela, or at least take a few seasons off. I LOVE Jessica, she OWNS the show, but when stars talk leaving a show, I think its best that they just do. Im trying to imagine the show without her, and if they can give either Angela or Kathy a juicy starring role next season, I bet we’ll still love the show.

• Summer says:

Murphy’s said in recent interviews that he’s been speaking to Lange about returning, and she seems to be softening up to the idea. It may be in a slightly diminished capacity – ten episodes out of thirteen or something – but it looks like she’ll be back for at least a little bit.

• cdhaskell says:

I got a feeling that the producer will talk her into returning for a new season.

2. cdhaskell says:

I am glad that American Horror Story was renewal for the fifth season. I hope that the producr will get Jessica Lange to return for the fifth season. She is the best thing on the show.

3. Lisa says:

I think AHS could use a year without Lange. Kathy Bates James Cromwell Frances Conroy and plenty of other older veterans of the series could carry it fine in her absence. The formula for the show works so well because its NOT the jessica lange, sarah paulson, and evan peters show

4. Linda says:

This is what I kept asking Ryan to do.. scare us! Kudos to AHS Freak Show and don’t ever lose the base of actors. They’re the ones who make it what it is as long as the scripts do NOT go too young and start introducing Zombies, gore and teenagers.. they have all the other crap show slots on tv these days. I did not like Coven very much and was never scared. It’s not called ‘Horror Story’ for nothing, right?

5. James says:

I think it’s time for a serial killer story. Like Scream or Friday the 13th. They can use a young cast and maybe have a few mature characters (like Jason’s mom in Friday 13th or Dr. Loomis in Halloween). I think it would be fun. Besides, that way you only need Jessica Lange or Basset or Bathes in a few episodes…

6. CactusRose says:

I never watched AHS before but the “Freak Show” commercials got me! I don’t normally watch that kind of stuff but I loved Freak Show. Guess I better set my DVR for “entire series.” How much acid do you have to take to write this?! Amazing!

7. whydoucare says:

Set record for what, worst ever? Sorry I was a fan but the season premiere put me off. I will gvie next episode a second chance but will not hold my breath. Just did nothing for me.

• DL says:

It was a very divisive season premiere. I know only people who loved it, or people who felt the way you did. I happened to love it.

• Fran says:

Yeah, its all subjective. I felt that way about Coven last year. I thought it was terrible and I dumped it after the fourth eposide.

8. Marco says:

What can we say other than… Le Freak, C’est Chic.

9. Lisa Johnson says:

The “related” link isn’t working. What’s the Plan B??

10. Jared says:

Great news about the renewal. Much deserved.

But of course, the loss of Jessica Lange would be so sad. She’s just simply amazing.

11. Maureen B says:

It was the best American Horror Story so far!!!! Can’t wait till Wednesday!!!!

12. Joey says:

I dunno about more Jessica Lange. As of right now, Elsa Mars isn’t all that different from Fiona Goode. One wanted to be young and powerful forever. The other seems to want to be young and famous forever.

13. Walter says:

American Horror Story: Summer Camp. Make it happen!

• Joey says:

I dunno, to turn a season into a remake of Halloween sounds too campy for me, and while AHS does need a certain amount of camp, too much is not a good thing i.e. Coven. I said in an earlier comment (did it ever get published??), but also commented on an earlier article that I’d really like to see a small-town cult as the basis for a new season, something along the lines of “The Shadow Over Innsmouth” by Lovecraft could have the potential to be great.

14. christiasne says:

If Lange is out it won’t be the same.

15. Jordan says:

Bring in Sissy Spacek!

16. Julie Aguirre says:

I can’t even imagine AHS without Jessica! She is a true beauty and an amazing actress. She is just amazing! Keep her at all costs.

17. Robin Matchett says:

Does anyone else think that Edward Mordrake looks like Quentin Collins from Dark Shadows fame?

• I was wondering why Edward Mordrake look like David Selby who play Quentin Collins from the Dark Shadows fame. If and when the producer decide to make a sequel to Johnny Depp’s Dark Shadow movie that Edward Mordrake would be perfect to play Quentin Collins in it.

• Robin Matchett says:

Did you see the story about the clues to next season? The coffee cup in a couple of scenes all have a black top hat on them. Just like the one Edward Mordrake wears. It explains what the black top hat means. Very interesting! Can’t wait for tonight.