CBS Renews Under the Dome, Extant

Under the Dome Extant Renewed

Two of CBS’ summertime dramas will be back for additional seasons.

The Eye network announced on Thursday that it has picked up the Stephen King-inspired Under the Dome for a third season, while the Steven Spielberg-produced, Halle Berry-fronted Extant will be back for Season 2.

Dome was a bona fide hit when it first bowed in June 2013, drawing 13.5 million total viewers and a 3.3 demo rating. Season 2 premiered to a more modest 9.4 mil/2.1, while its finale drew 7.5 mil/1.8 (and an average grade of “C+” from TVLine readers).

With Live+7 DVR viewing factored in, Dome was the summer’s No. 1 scripted series, averaging 11 million viewers and a 2.7 rating.

RELATED Extant Finale Recap: This Boy Is on Fire

Extant premiered this past June to 9.6 million viewers and a 1.6 rating, but by its Sept. 17 finale — and following some schedule-shuffling — had slipped to 5.4 mil/1.0. TVLine readers gave the season as a whole a grade of “C+.”

Helping offset the two series’ pricetags, CBS has a deal with Amazon Prime — for a reported $900,000-per-episode, for each show — to be the exclusive home to streamed episodes.

1. Ray says:

More Under the Dome? Yes, that’s exactly what the world needs.

2. Angel says:

Wow. Didn’t expect to see Extant back.

• Mary Ann says:

I didn’t either, but I am pleasantly surprised. It started off slow, but the mystery just kept building until at the end I couldn’t wait to see what happened.

3. Bob Smith says:

What about Unforgettable? To us, Unforgettable was much better than Extant.

4. Cory says:

I truly hope this will be the last season of UtD if not I’m not sure I’ll be able to watch it. But I’ll try. Yay for Extant! Was worried about that one.

• mel0329 says:

I was hopping UtD was done. I was struggling to get through those last few episodes I felt like I was on a stationary bicycle going nowhere. I’m probably not going to watch it next year. The acting was only so-so and Dean Norris just chewed the scenery and was completely unlikable. It made me sad.

5. lori says:

Worry, I can’t take another season of Under the Dome. It shouldn’t have come back for the second season.

6. wrstlgirl says:

So do I understand this correctly. Bottom line for renewal was the money from Amazon? I’m not that surprised about UTD but very, very surprised at the Extant renewal. Figured it was toast.

7. Makes sense to renew them both.

8. Joe R says:

F you, CBS. These were supposed to be one-and-done seasons. I’m out. You can’t keep abusing the public’s goodwill.

• Arie says:

Exactly.

• SMatheson says:

exactly

• Nate says:

It’s called not watching. You should try it

• johnhelvete says:

I watched all of season 1 and than stopped after the first episode of season 2, so I agree that if you dont like a show, stop watching. There are plenty of other shows on in during the summer if you have cable.

• TV Gord says:

Show us where CBS or Amblin ever said either would be one-and-done series. It never happened. When news of Dome was first announced, many people in these comments sections said it SHOULD be a miniseries and not a series, but somehow that has devolved into this myth that they were ever planned to be anything other than ongoing shows.

Some of us are still enjoying Under The Dome and are looking forward to what happens next for these characters. As for Extant, I was underwhelmed by the first season, but I’m curious to see what happens in season two, as well.

• drb999 says:

I think that the confusion stemmed from CBS’ use of the word limited series. People thought that meant just one season while CBS just meant that the season was 13 episodes long and no matter what that there would be no back 9 ordered.

• JLK says:

Yep, that’s the problem. The term made many people think of CBS past when they offered that Harper’s Island show. One season…during the summer…complete closure at the end. I think they should describe these shows as summer series rather than limited series to avoid that confusion.

• honeydose01 says:

I AGREE. CBS, HAS Made a dumb move.

• cdhaskell says:

I was surprised that CBS renewal both Under the Dome and Extant for a new season. I can’t wait to see how the writer will developed the character and the show.

9. Moment says:

Season 3, never in doubt.

10. Gerri says:

Great news. More Barbie and Julia!!! I don’t know why I was worried. Those numbers are great for a Summer show.

11. Beth says:

Wow…color me shocked. The second season of Under the Dome was out of control (not in a good way). I liked Extant, I just don’t know another person who actually watched it. I’ll be interested to see what both shows do next season.

• herman1959 says:

I watched it (as did others), and while it was an editing nightmare at first, the last few episodes had gotten better. I’m interested in finding out if they can put Ethan’s “spirit” into a new robo-body and what will happen with the half-alien son.

• schmed says:

I watched it, but like a trainwreck. The singular lack of chemistry between Halle Berry and her husband, son, colleagues, was amazing. And yet, i feel the show was more badly written and badly directed than it was badly acted. Lots of good ideas and intentions, but such a blah result. Hard to believe it was renewed. As Halle’s character would (and in fact more than once, did) say: “I need a moment to process this.”

• Lisa says:

I watched Extant and loved it! So happy to hear that it’s returning.

12. R. says:

So excited for more extant! I hope they get their story a little more nailed down this season.

13. Tran says:

Wasn’t expected to these two Summer series on CBS get renewed. The season finale of Extant was a disappointment and it’s going to get worse in Season Two in my opinion. No official word yet on the status of Unforgettable but what are the chances the Poppy Montgomery led series is going to get renewed for Season Four and hopefully a 13-episode order?

• Moment says:

Under the Domes renewal was never in doubt, the ratings were solid for a Summer series despite the drop. You may not have expected a renewal but anyone who knows about ratings would put good odds on it coming back :)

14. cdhaskell says:

I am glad that Under The Dome and Extant will return next year. Good luck to both series.

15. anto33 says:

Glad to know.I wasn’t sure about Extant,it’s a surprise.

16. RS says:

Yay! I liked season 2 of Under the Dome even better than the first one. Disclaimer: not sarcasm. Barbie and Julia are two of my favorite TV characters ever.

17. Andrea says:

What’s the protocol for the renewal of summer series? Most of the Fall decisions come in May, but it seems that the summer series drib and drab in spurts. I’m crossing my fingers for Reckless.

18. grandmal006 says:

Hope Spielberg treats Extant better if it goes for season 3 Because both Dallas and Longmire were cancelled after season 3 leaving cliffhangers. Amblin Entertainment owned by Spielberg had their hand in the cancellations Could not give the fans of the shows an ending

19. IMHO says:

Wondering what were the Extant ratings were with Live+7 DVR viewing factored in ?
    Have to admit I’m surprised it’s getting a 2nd season

20. SMatheson says:

Didn’t expect to see either of these shows back. Extant could only have been renewed due to political reasons (surely not because it was any good); UTD was more depressing storylines. Right there with The Leftovers. Just what people want to see after a long hard day at work — something utterly depressing to go to bed with. Ugh. Wake up TV idiots (aka executives who make these decisions).

• joeyconnick says:

Say what you will about The Leftovers being overly bleak (it totally is) but the acting and production values on that show make UTD look like a joke. I’m not really that into The Leftovers but it is a vastly superior show.

21. Brandy says:

Under the Dome is so stupid, but I love it. Glad to have this guilty pleasure back next summer!

• Mary Ann says:

It is stupid, but I just keep watching to see what unbelievable thing they come up with next. More of a comedy than anything else at this point.

22. JeffDJ says:

Not surprised about Dome, but didn’t expect EXTANT to be back. I wonder if it would have been renewed if it had starred someone other than Halle Berry…

23. Clifton Dyer says:

UNDER THE DOME is great,i love it.Its truely the best show i ever watched.it is truely marvelous.i watched every episode.i is exciting,trilling,full of drama and just awsome.I cant wait for season 3.

24. cannoir says:

both renewals were not neccessary . Extant was oke dokay but we can live without it . Under the dome is just plain mediocre .

25. Sara says:

A huge thank you to everyone who contributed to Under The Dome staying on air!! Whether it appeals to everyone or not, there are many people who absolutely love it and weren’t ready to do without it! Bring on season 3!!!

26. SS says:

Yay! So glad both my summer shows were renewed

27. cdhaskell says:

My eye open wide when I read that CBS renewal both Under The Dome(Season 3) and Extant(season 2). I can’t wait to see the new season.

28. j says:

Great news CBS!

29. Delante says:

Extant renewal? That’s a shocker….I honestly thought the show was done for! YAY for more Under the Dome!!

30. Kay says:

Just glad Under the Dome got renewed, so hopefully they can end it right!

• Moment says:

It won’t be ended with Season 3. CBS haven’t announced it as the final season in the renewal. It will end the same way as the first two seasons.

31. Lululime says:

The Extant finale was much better than the season as a whole. I hope they find a way to bring Louis Gossett Jr. full time.

32. Joey Padron says:

Happy Under The Dome will be back for season 3! Can’t wait to see what new world characters be going to that Malenie lead them to next season.

33. Letti says:

Wow I loved season one of UtD, but season 2 lost me. Well I started watching because of Britt Robertson and shince she’s out I don’t really have to care anymore. And it might be weird, but I prefered Junior when he was mad.

34. Diz says:

I enjoy the Dome. I have also watched all episodes of Extant but it was not good at all.

35. Davey Elmer says:

I ended up not finishing UtD Season 2, but only because life got in the way. It’s nice to see that the series is getting another season, because I’d really like it to end up with the same amount of seasons as my other favorite Stephen King-inspired series, “Haven” (which will be ending with Season 5).

36. joeyconnick says:

This completely begs the question of exactly what monumental dirt do Spielberg and Berry have to get CBS to renew these two awful shows?!

37. Brigid says:

Yeah, I’m done with Dome. The show is just terrible and not in a good way. The writing is atrocious and the inconsistencies in the characters is so blatant it hurts. Who falls in and out of love in 3 weeks? I don’t care if they all die.

38. CBS renews EXTANT, but A&E dumps LONGMIRE. What the What? There is no logic in the world.

39. Terry says:

Glad both are back. I enjoy each show. I didn’t expect Extant back but can see the story can continue.. hope the network advertises it more than it did this season.

40. Moment says:

Quite a few places seem to be reporting that Extant was profitable internationally and with the Amazon deal, which prompted the pickup for another season.

41. robinepowell says:

I did not think extant would be back for a second season. I am ready surprised. CBS must be desperate for summer TV if they’re bringing it back next year.

42. Larry C. says:

UNDER THE DOME was moderately interesting in the first season. However, the second season was awful. It is a wonder the actors don’t start laughing at their own dialogue and the ridiculous events occurring. The dumbest, most laughable moment: Barbie carrying his beloved when the temperature was about a zillion below zero. No gloves; no scarf; no boots; no hat. Others seemed dressed for the weather, but the couple had their love to keep them warm! Worst Character: the obnoxious high school science teacher. Out of nowhere she appears with suggestions, theories, etc., for every bizarre event taking place. This broad should have been working for NASA or the CDC. Writers’ Stupidity Award: the relationship between the black woman and her adopted daughter. The mom goes missing for most of the summer with nary a mention of her by her loving, concerned daughter. Suddenly, in the finale, the kid is concerned about the whereabouts of her mom and is desperate to find her. Then, they bring mom back for three or four lines of pointless dialogue, and now, she is an integral part of the evacuation. Oh, please. If you think the ratings dropped from Season 1 to 2, just wait until you see the plunge in Season 3. At this point, I could care less about the secret of the dome. Unless they advertise that the dome will be killing them all or they advertise UNDER THE DOME: THE MUSICAL, this is one viewer who will be changing channels.

43. I am with many, I think, surprised that Extant is coming back for a second season.

44. GuessWhat says:

Ok, I have watched ALL of UNDER THE DOME and EXTANT on CBS.
    And also DALLAS on TNT.

Out of those 3, the only one that should have been renewed was DALLAS — yet DALLAS was cancelled. ha.

45. I am glad to read that Unforgettable didn’t get cancel yet. I hope that the show will get renewal for the summer return.

46. ivan says:

the dome is great.when is new season???????

47. Zig says:

I like UTD, so for me this is a good news. Not my favorite but good enough.

48. TVworks2014 says:

Extant was awful. I watched the entire season, I will not tune back in for season 2. Under the Dome has become more blah. dumb things keeping them from leaving like Gilligan’s Island. Amazon deal for these shows have to be the only reason.

49. Rick Katze says:

I find both these shows “Forgettable.”

Now if only CBS would remember their best summer series which should be “Unforgettable.”

50. This is great news! I love BOTH of these shows! Haven’t missed a single episode! It’s a huge relief to know they will be back!

• hud says:

CBS can’t seem to find a spot for the Mentalist, but renew programs that were touted as mini-series. What a programming dept. Makes me more thankful for TMC every day.

• hud: you raise an excellent point about CBS. I love “Mentalist,” haven’t missed an episode yet, although the last couple of seasons I’ve watched it only on Netflix or On Demand. CBS programmers, for anyone interested, care ONLY about sports and reality shows. Period. Their scheduling treats all other shows as “fillers” for times when there are no sports or reality shows. The end result is that we are now refusing to watch ANY new series they air. We’ll stick with series we’ve gotten addicted to (and there are many), but we absolutely refuse to watch anything else on that deranged network. I would never begrudge sports fans their programming, but dammit, it is time CBS showed the same consideration to NON-sports-fans, too! Until they do, any new shows they come up with will have to wait until they come out on DVD, assuming they are successful in the first place. I’m betting that a lot of their shows fail because fans are ticked off at having their shows jerked around the way CBS does it. Why try new series and fall in love with them, only to have their time-slots jerked around because a reality show or ball game runs late???? CBS doesn’t seem to realize that other networks are not going to adjust THEIR schedules to accommodate CBS’ stupidity! If a CBS show is supposed to start at 9 PM, but is delayed 10 minutes for a ballgame, the other networks are not going to change the start times of their 10 PM shows so that people can finish what is on CBS and then change the channel to watch other shows they may like. For this viewer, the answer is to stop watching CBS entirely. Let it become the “Reality Network,” or perhaps the “Reality/Sports” network. There was Life before CBS and there will be Life after CBS. But life is too short for this viewer to accommodate their lunacy.