The Flash Casts Smash Alum to Play Gay DC Comics Villain Pied Piper

The Flash Andy Mientus Pied Piper

Here’s a piece of casting news that’s sure to make some noise: Smash vet Andy Mientus is joining The Flash as hearing impaired (and openly gay) DC Comics villain Pied Piper (AKA Hartley Rathaway), TVLine has learned exclusively.

One of DC’s original Rogues, Hartley is a bona fide genius who used to work at S.T.A.R. Labs until a falling out with his mentor, Harrison Wells (Tom Cavanagh). The particle accelerator robbed Hartley of his hearing, but inspired him to create a series of sonic weapons that he uses in an effort to punish Wells by destroying his new protege: The Flash.

Pied Piper is one of the few openly gay villains in the DC Universe, and I’m told The Flash will not be shying away from that aspect of the character.

Mientus, who is currently starring in the Broadway revival of Les Misérables, is set to appear in Flash‘s 11th and 12th episodes.

The Flash this week debuted to 4.8 million total viewers and a 1.9 demo rating, making it The CW’s most watched and highest rated series launch in five years.

1. Sizzle says:

Amazing news! If only they could line up a musical episode to coincide, he and Jesse L Martin could do a fantastic duet!

• J.B. says:

If I could like this comment 10,000x it still wouldn’t be enough.

• chuckiechk says:

Grant Gustin is also a really good singer!

• cdhaskell says:

I hope that Pied Piper and Jesse L. Martin will do a musical duet in the episode.

• Liz says:

And Grant Gustin! Yes let’s make a Buffy style musical episode.

• mmartian says:

Not so fast in a series please. I know quite a few people that loved flash and no one I know likes musicals (in any way) We all say the same thing…never walked down the street and saw a group of people break out in song. In fact in my long life I have never even seen a couple of people do it…I love music…a lot… on cd or Bluetooth or the radio, just not on my super hero show. Save it for when they run out of ideas or at the very least let people get hooked on the show before you start alienating them.

• Et al says:

You comment about the realism of musicals regarding a show about superheroes? That’s special.

• firstroyal says:

Oddly enough I did not use the word realism. I only mentioned why I do not like musicals which by extension you could say “because it is not realistic”

But its a reach to put the two things together. Just because I do not like musicals because they are not realistic does not, in any way, mean I do not like ALL unrealistic shows. Somehow I can use my imagination and believe Godzilla is stumbling through a city plowing down buildings but if at any point Godzilla broke out into a song and dance routine you lost me. You see at that point it stops being a monster movie and becomes a jumbled mess.

There is a place for a dancing Godzilla
          or singing Flash
          or NCIS Mars
          or even A love story: world war 3

I believe the place is either theater, Syfy channel or season 5 after writers run out of ideas.

2. Michelle says:

3. Moment says:

Still no word on Episodes 14 onwards from the CW? All this casting news and still no full season order yet.

4. J.B. says:

I’m stoked about this! The Pied Piper is such an all around dynamic character. I know he’ll only be in two episodes but I’ll take it.

5. jc says:

Yes I’m so excited for this. So glad to see some representation for the gay community. Hopefully he’s on for more than a few episodes.

6. Jared says:

The casting for The Flash just keeps getting better. Its pretty brave to have an openly gay superhero on TV and his storyline sounds cool! Looking forward to watching more episodes.

• Ellen says:

Agreed! Arrow paved the way with Sara (bi) and Nyssa (bi or lesbian), now we get Hartley too. And yay for seeing Andy Mientus back on TV!

7. cdhaskell says:

I can’t wait to see what kind of storyline that Pied Piper will get and will he get a hot looking lover.

8. Luis says:

So excited to see the whole Rogues Gallery being brought right out! When does the Mirror Master show up?

9. Delante says:

Damn this show is just killing it with all the news of casting and characters to expect!

10. Joey Padron says:

Great news! Can’t wait to see the character on the show!

11. M says:

Great I loved him on Smash

12. alistaircrane says:

That’s exciting! I’ve loved him ever since I saw him in Spring Awakening.

13. Penelope says:

“Hard of hearing” or “deaf” would be a correct phrase. People who have a hearing loss are not “impaired” they just dont hear.

• Sheila says:

I think “hearing impaired” implies that your hearing is impaired. It would never occur to me to think of the person as impaired.

• Penelope says:

A quick google search of “deaf community” and “hearing impaired” will bring up a lot of info about the deaf community not appreciating “hearing impaired”… I think a group of people should be respected for how they label themselves andnot what the majority decides to label them.

14. steve reeves says:

He could play the skin flute!

15. B says:

I love that they decided to use the Pied Piper character. The fact that he is one of the few openly gay villains in the DC Universe and that The Flash will not be shying away from that aspect of the character is A+amazing

16. B says:

The CW is killing it with The Originals, Supernatural, Arrow, and The Flash.

17. Love Andy, love this show, sounds like a fun character arc!!