Report: Katy Perry to Perform During Super Bowl XLIX Halftime Show

Katy Perry Super Bowl XLIX

Super Bowl XLIX is shaping up to be a real teenage dream — the halftime show, anyway.

RELATED South Park Tackles Redskins, Ray Rice and More in Season 18 Premiere

After much speculation, Katy Perry has reportedly signed on as the Bowl’s official halftime performer, according to Billboard.

Perry’s name was originally on a shortlist of potential performers — one that also included Coldplay and Rihanna — but things got complicated when the NFL reportedly requested that the selected artist pay to perform. The “Firework” singer appeared on ESPN’s College Game Day this past weekend to confirm she’s “not the kind of girl who would pay to play the Super Bowl.”

Super Bowl XLIX will be broadcast Sunday, Feb. 1, on NBC.

OK, football fans, it’s time to sound off: Katy Perry — good choice for the Bowl? Let us know in the comments section below.

1. That pay to perform thing is so freaking stupid…

2. heLL paso says:

The Super Bowl is the biggest show of the year. The NFL looks at it as, they’re doing a favor for a performer. It helps the artist out quite a lot, so if anyone wants to pay them for this “free” publicity, so be it.

• hipster says:

Free publicity, sure. But isn’t the Superbowl halftime act usually of someone who’s already well established and doesn’t need to pay for exposure? I can see why musical acts were irked about having to pay to play.

• Dude says:

Katy Perry, Rhianna and Coldplay don’t need free publicity. They’re extremely famous so how does that help them? The SuperBowl isn’t doing them any favours. They’re just greedy bastards. Making them play for free wasnt enough, now they need to make money off of it. And its not just making them pay, its demanding part of their tour profits which they are in no way entitled to. If that’s the way they feel, they’re going to need to start getting unknown artists to perform because those are the only people that would benefit from the exposure.

3. Et al says:

They settled on a pay-to-lipsync deal instead.

• Dude says:

Everyone lip syncs in a football stadium. It’s logistically impossible to perform live, well under those conditions

• Mary says:

Not sure if I agree with that however, she lip syncs on all her show. Not my favorite so will probably be taken a break during half time. I guess she is popular enough today kids don’t care if someone is auto tuned to death as long as they fit the part their popular. No wonder why the music industry is dying.

4. Tran says:

Let’s hope it won’t be another one of those wardrobe malfunctions like Janet Jackson or a blackout like Beyonce or lip syncing.

5. babycat says:

I miss the days when the Superbowl half time show would be with real superstars not trampy, autotuned little pop stars!

• Dick Whitman says:

So if I understand what you are saying you must be looking forward to Katy Perry performing?

• Mary says:

Agree 100 % but unfortunately kids today have no idea what real music is. They were brought up on the auto tune sh.t so they think it good.

6. Dick Whitman says:

The divine miss K is extremely popular with the demo. that the NFL, sponsors and broadcasters want to stick around for the half-time show. This is so mutually beneficial for both the artist and the NFL etc. that the notion of Katy paying to play is ridiculous.

7. Jakob says:

Good on her for not agreeing to pay.

8. CK says:

So they are just going to play her soundtrack while she dances around right? I don’t want to suffer through Katy attempting to sing live. She’s just not that kind of entertainer. Most pop artists aren’t.

9. Ram510 says:

Gross. I for sure won’t be watching. Does anybody remember her Grammy performance earlier this year, like I said gross

10. King says:

Why not Ariana Grande? She’s the hottest thing right now! Katy Perry is so 2012

11. Babybop says:

I hate her music, so count me out.

12. Kenny says:

Maroon 5…some super bowl please!?!?

13. dee123 says:

Can wait for her racist mumblings.

14. Hannah says:

I think only actual good performers should get the Superbowl slot. Not someone who can’t sing or dance or really kill an instrument, like Katy.

15. Mary says:

Not my cup of tea, but whatever. I would of preferred Carrie Underwood at least I know she can sing LIVE and not have to strut around in half baked outfits to stand out. I won’t be suffering through this half time to someone who cannot sing without auto tune.

16. DJR says:

I’m glad they’ve selected someone like Ms. Perry. This way, I know I’m not missing anything when I go to the bathroom and prepare the food. [I sure hope my sarcasm came through loud and clear.]

• lol. You go to the bathroom to prepare food? Yikes, Don’t punish the family THAT much cause you dont like Katy! Wink, wink! (But yeah, I’d prefer a trip to the bathroom to watching her too).

17. DMK says:

Man, I was kinda hoping the “have Weird Al play” faction would get somewhere…

• hud says:

WHY do we have to mix sports and music (term used loosely)? Baseball has “walk-up music”, NFL idiotic half-time show.Do people really need CONSTANT distraction? What the half-time show is about is not important. Perry is not important. The fact I’m commenting is not important. When will the nonsense that is the 21st. century every end?The 22nd? Am I the only one sick of all the egotism???