Walking Dead Renewed for Season 6

Fall TV Spoilers

AMC is really getting ahead of itself where The Walking Dead is concerned — and who can blame them?

With the show’s fifth season set to premiere on Sunday, the cabler has already renewed its zombie smash for a sixth season.

Scott M. Gimple will continue on as showrunner.

“We could not be more excited for October 12 as we share new episodes of The Walking Dead with fans around the globe,” said AMC President Charlie Collier in a statement. “In advance of Sunday’s Season 5 premiere, AMC proudly confirms a sixth season order of this extraordinary series. Thank you to Robert Kirkman, Scott Gimple, the terrific executive producers, and the entire team who brings this compelling world and these rich characters to life. There’s plenty more Dead ahead thanks to their impressive, collective effort.”

The pickup comes as AMC is set to expand its Walking Dead franchise with a spinoff (the network formally ordered a pilot last month).

1. grandmal006 says:

Great! I love the show

2. wrstlgirl says:

and 7, 8 and 9……unless this show does something really stupid I expect it to be around for a long time.

• alistaircrane says:

I’d like to think the show could run for years and years, but if the show keeps killing off its original characters, ratings will eventually drop. The Walking Dead hasn’t introduced an interesting new character since Michonne, and that was two years ago.

• wrstlgirl says:

Which would be really stupid, like I said. Although I believe Tyreese, Sasha and Bob all bring something unique to the table just like Michonne.

• alistaircrane says:

Those characters do nothing for me, that’s why watching the show is a struggle when they only focus on certain characters.

• Brigid says:

Those characters do something for me and so did Lizzie and Mika. Also Abraham, Eugene and Tara. They all have added interest to the story and it’s never a struggle to watch this amazing show.

• alistaircrane says:

That’s cool for you, Brigid, but not for me. I’m hanging in there for Carol, Daryl, Michonne, and Carl. I no longer like Rick thanks to Season 3, and Glenn and Maggie are boring.

• mrspansas says:

I totally agree with you allstaircrane. I’m not a big fan of Rick either and I find Glenn and Maggie boring.

• Moment says:

The show has the unpredictability factor in some ways, it’s not afraid to kill off characters who are still alive in the comics, and keep ones that are dead in the comics around a little longer. This will appeal to a lot of people, knowing who is alive or dead in the comics is worthless with regards to the show.

• alistaircrane says:

Not if the new, replacement characters are as unappealing as Tyreese, Sasha, Bob, and the others whose names I can’t even remember because they’re so blah: Michael Cudlitz’s crew and Tara, I think her name is.

• Moment says:

I agree that Tyreese, Sasha and Bob don’t have much of a purpose anymore. Tara I think has potential. I think of the new trio Abraham will survive the longest while Rosita and Eugene will be killed off at some point.

3. Candice says:

That’s not surprising.

4. Tran says:

Looks like the zombie bloodbath continues for fans of The Walking Dead. Hope my fave from the series Lauren Cohan survives for another round.

• I agree, Maggie/Lauren Cohan is at the top of my list of reasons to keep watching it, if they kill her off, I wont be happy, I am tired of them killing all the females off, the show is slowly becoming just another sausage fest like most of the TV shows and movies, I mean all anyone cares about is the male characters and how attracted they are to them, this show just seems very anti female to me, its been that way from the start to! Its not just the killing of the woman off, but the way they make the woman ether useless or just like one of the props, I mean with the way they do with Maggie, its like she isn’t anything without Glenn or her father or some other character around, they never show her without it having something to do with Glenn or her father or maybe Beth, no other character has been treated this way, though all of the woman have been pretty much kept back in the shadows of the men from the start of the show, I mean even Michonne who is one of the best character and to me is allot more of a kick ass type then even Daryl, though I do like him too,gets very little air time compared to most of the men, which is why I feel its all about the men in this show, so they really don’t care how many woman they kill off, as long as they have lots hunky guys around! Everyone afraid they will kill Glenn off, well you can rest assured it wont be Glenn, most likely they will turn it around and kill Maggie instead, like how they killed Andrea off even though she is still in the comics, after of course purposely making some people hate her, by making her nothing like her comic book character! You can be sure that all the woman will die before Carl does even and that Daryl and Rick will be in it till the end, most likely all of will die before Glenn too, except maybe Michonne!

5. Moment says:

Not surprising, the ratings for the show are so astronomical it could still be renewed if it lost half its viewership and still dwarf pretty much every scripted show on cable and most on network TV In the 18-49.

6. JJM says:

This show is going to get to the point where there’s no creativity left and it’s kept on the air for one purpose: money.

7. Lena says:

Fantastic news! I love this show and I am ready for Sunday’s premiere!

8. TVSERIESADDICT says:

I remember reading an article long ago stating that the walking dead is the kind of show that will last till the year 2022, not really surprised it got a 6 season… i see 6 more coming.

9. Joey Padron says:

Happy the show got renewed for season 6 before season 5 premieres. Can’t wait to watch season premiere this weekend!

10. EJ386 says:

Awesome! Here is hoping dat Daryl, Michonne, Carl, Glenn and Rick will be alive to star in it.

11. its Olawande says:

Nice movie …can’t wait to see carl in action

12. Timothy says:

Never wants Rick to die, but if he does’nt, Carl glory will never shine

13. kim michels says:

Are we to believe rick is the bad guy?I feel like that the direction this is leading im not s sure the fans wilk be too happy with that!!!! I know i love rick and would be very upset if hes not around