Ratings: The Originals Returns Down; Gotham, Castle and CBS Dramas Slip

NCIS LA Ratings

The CW’s The Originals opened Season 2 on Monday night with 1.4 million total viewers and a 0.7 demo rating — down from both its series launch (2.2 mil/1.0, leading out of Vampire Diaries on a Thursday) and its May finale (1.8 mil/0.8, leading off Tuesday), but improving on, say, Star Crossed’s most recent numbers in the Mondays-at-8 spot (830K/0.3).

The CW also notes that TO gave the network its best Monday lead-off rating since Jan. 2012 (Gossip Girl).

A highly entertaining Supernatural retrospective led out of that with 1 mil/0.5.

Elsewhere on the night….

CBS | The Big Bang Theory (15.4 mil/4.4) dipped 6 and 8 percent, Scorpion (11.8 mil/2.5) fell 12 and 19 percent and NCIS: LA (8.6 mil/1.6) was down 9 and 16 percent from its maiden Monday voyage.

NBC | The Voice (12.3 mil/3.6) dipped 5 and 10 percent, while The Blacklist (10.1 mil/2.7) ticked down just 4 percent and a tenth.

FOX | Gotham (6.3 mil/2.5) slipped another 16 and 11 percent, yet Sleepy Hollow (4.5 mil/1.7) held steady in the demo.

ABC | Dancing With the Stars (12/2 mil/1.8) was steady — and virtually matched The Voice’s audience — while Castle (9.7 mil/1.9) slipped 10 and 14 percent (yet equalled its year-ago demo).

1. Coal says:

This Castle seems very popular, if only ever watched one episode (the pilot).

2. Eridapo says:

Last year’s second episode of Castle (Dreamworld) rated a 2.2 in the demo and 10.88 Million viewers. It was the third episode of last season which rated a 1.9 and 10.54 million viewers.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hi. Season 6’s third episode aired Oct. 7 — hence “year ago.”

• Grey says:

And yet one more reason why I always take Nielsen’s “data” and “analysis” with a grain of salt. Not to mention all of this is just their “preliminary numbers” and will most likely all change in a couple of hours. :-| Then you got the “live plus 3 days” numbers to come and the “live plus 7 day numbers,” etc. It’s gotten worse than the exit polls for the national elections. Come to think of it, I’m actually surprised Nielsen doesn’t have some “hanging chads” in the mix just to confuse us even more.

• Boiler says:

How do you even know this Eridapo??

3. Moment says:

Gotham needs to stop slipping. Its still pulling renewal figures but it still hasn’t stabilized after 3 episodes which is slightly concerning. I’m glad that Sleepy Hollow held steady In the demo but this too lost 500k viewers. I’m surprised by NCIS LA, the slot has continually done poor for CBS and it looks set to potentially claim another show. No point judging ABC ratings until the finals, they always get a convenient adjustment up, except for Nashville ;)

• Grey says:

Usually on Mondays there are adjustments down because of Monday Night Football. It all depends on which markets get their programming pre-empted in order to show the game and if those affliates are ABC affliates or one of the other networks – and if “DWTS” ended on time or ran over into “Castle’s” hour. It’s a hot mess on Mondays. LOL.

• Moment says:

Castle did better than DWTS today, it pulled a 2 in the finals. It’s only marginally behind The Blacklist in overall viewers too. ABC must be pleased.

4. Emily says:

Nice fluffing there on The Originals poor numbers. Strange how no one else needed a justification for their ratings…

• Fran says:

Anytime a show moves to a new timeslot, they routinely compare its ratings to what the previous show did. Its also worth mentioning that Mondays for the CW usually don’t do very well so it makes sense to note that its higher than it has been. They make little notes like this all the time on all different shows if you go back and look, especially on premiere episodes. Nothing new here.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You receive 175 TVLine Power User Points for paying attention. (No cash value.)

• Jhene says:

The previous show was not an established show but a midseason replacement with far less promotion. The Originals had the advantage of being an established spinoff with a fanbase.

• aunni says:

looks like viewers who trolled by jp for yrs r giving her a taste of her own medicine….!!! or the cw is in doomsday?? i hope ARROW, flash n spn will hv healthy amount of viewers. specially arrow deserve the best.

• dude says:

It’s The CW. A 0.7 in the demo is basically celebratory.

• Matt says:

What isn’t fluffed? Example: Look at how many people fell for Obamacare lol. Thats how the media is.

5. luli says:

What’s a good demo for abc?? (Once, castle…) and for the other big 4?

• Moment says:

Castle is doing fine if you’re wondering. Anything from 1.7 onwards for a 10pm ABC show is okay. 10pm shows typically have lower expectations from all the major networks.

6. Kubrick says:

RIP NCISLA. That rating score was what Intelligence got on its best day.

7. shreya says:

I stopped watching. Ncis ka a long time ago but this PIC with fallen having hair oh man he actually looks good I hated the whole bald is so cool thing he had going

8. Patrick says:

I love all three 10 mon shows. I watch Blacklist live, and DVR Castle (which might well be my favorite overall show now that HIMYM is gone). I will watch NCIS LA on demand, probably, at some later point. I really liked the Deeks and Kensi story, but after TIVA I am beginning to think nothing will ever come from it, and that the shippers will be yanked around forever. Since none of the characters ever really progress in their personal stories on the NCIS’s (seemingly), it is hard to get invested for the long term.

• Kira says:

I’m giving NCIS: LA another season to see what they can do with Deeks and Kensi. I think Daniela Ruah’s pregnancy last season kind of threw their storyline off a bit, which was understandable. Hopefully they can find an interesting way to move them forward. I feel like there’s still a few obstacles for them to hit before they actually get together but since I’m a Densi shipper I’m willing to wait it out. That being said I LOVE this show!!!! One of the few tv shows I watch where I actually like all the characters, even Granger lol The mix of comedy with action and the always outstanding Linda Hunt is perfection!!!!

9. sarah j says:

I am not surprised that the Originals numbers are down, considering what is up against.
    I do not watch NCIS LA but I know people that do and it is too bad that CBS put it against Castle and Blacklist.

• Grey says:

Most people don’t think of “Castle” as a huge ratings juggernaut like “Scandal” (ABC) or the original “NCIS” (CBS) or “The Blacklist” (NBC) but about a year or so ago I asked in a post on another site how many shows had gone up against “Castle” and either got cancelled or had to move to another time slot and I think the answer was twelve! Twelve shows in six seasons. :-0 It’s like the little engine that could.

10. Babybop says:

I never more excited to see the words “held steady in the demo” ever. Sleepy Hollow is not out of the game yet!

11. Moment says:

Assuming NCIS LA doesn’t fall further, I could see CBS moving it to Friday next season replacing either Blue Bloods or Hawaii Five-0. I think Blue Bloods is most likely. I suspect CBS won’t be happy with the 1.2/1.3 both shows have pulled on Friday and will want to try switching things up a bit.

• Julie says:

It was my understanding that Blue Bloods and Hawaii 5-0 are the most watched Friday shows. I don’t think they’re getting cancelled any time soon. I think Person of Inyerest would’ve done better against Castke and the Blacklist. Should’ve left NCIS:La on Tuesday nights with the other two NCIS’s.

12. TVSERIESADDICT says:

Mondays 8 PM is a bloodbath. you’ve got The Big Bang Theory, The Voice, Gotham, and The Originals..I kept switching my channels trying to watch all of them live..

UPDATE: Failed miserably (ended up watching The Big Bang Theory then the second half of The Originals)

CW should/will move The Originals timing.

PS: TBBT DOMINATED THE RATINGS AS USUAL!

• ggny000 says:

I doubt CW moves Originals. Those are the best numbers Monday night has seen in along time for the CW. 0.7 is great for the CW and im betting they are very happy with those numbers against that competition

• TVSERIESADDICT says:

Well if you put it that way then yes but they know they could even be MORE successful if they move its time slot and let’s face it, all the CW wants is a glimpse of success nowadays. I’m not saying the CW isn’t successful, but i am saying if you place the CW, CBS, NBC, and ABC in a room… well you get it

• Carla Krae says:

Big Bang Theory will be moving to Thursdays in some weeks.

13. ggny000 says:

Original numbers are ALOT better then i thought they would be. I was guessing 0.5

14. auntiemm says:

I’m not sure whether I’ll stick with NCIS:LA this season. I like the characters and the humor but did they really have to recycle NCIS’ s “the government is out to get us” plotline from a year ago? The show’ s gotten stale for me…Kensi/Deeks, Nell/Eric, will Hetty resign this week. I’ll give it another week or two.

15. Zoe says:

Why does CW always have to justify The Originals’ ratings? The ratings are always crap yet CW always comes out with a statement saying how The Originals have made it ‘their best Monday’s since forever’ and how ‘their Tuesday’s have never been better.’ I don’t get it! Are they trying to prove something? Because it’s kind of annoying.

16. Willow says:

I am just going to say it, ratings today are nothing but crap. Seriously to many ways to watch our favorite shows. I have so many shows in just two weeks to watch on demand, my head is spinning. do you rate today’s shows when most of us are not watching when they are on? It really makes me sad that the new shows today only have a chance with the archaic ways we still rate today’s shows.

17. Jericho says:

So basically everything but DWTS was down significantly last night?

18. Monica says:

I’m convinced David Caruso cursed the Monday night time slot when CSI: Miami got moved several years back. I miss NCIS LA on Tuesday nights, wish they would change it back.

19. Mari says:

Castle was adjusted up per finals!

20. DavidSask says:

Hasn’t Sleepy Hollow’s ratings almost went down by half from last year?

21. Dani says:

I’ve never seen a show so hated within the fandom as The Originals.

And with the ratings so poor. How is this show still going?

How does the CW decide how to keep shows?

• zed says:

I am not surprised with the low ratings of the Originals- they need solid villains and threat like witches of the voodoo kind- and the love pairings are really bad- most fans want Klaus and Hayley as love interests in real love conflict- as they are the major anti-hero and she as heroine- Then the whole therapy thing with Klaus and Camille is snoozefest- who wants to watch Klaus on a sofa- this is not the Sopranos.
      Also Elijah needs to have a better purpose than to lust over his brother’s ex i.e. Hayley- Also the Original cast of the Originals on TVD should not be only in flashbacks but in the present time- all could have their subplot- Oh- and crossovers with TVD would really help- both shows!!!!
      Just my opinion!