7th Heaven Removed from UP TV Over Stephen Collins Molestation Scandal

Stephen Collins Child Molestation

UP TV, a cable network which regularly airs reruns of the classic family drama 7th Heaven, is not standing by star Stephen Collins in light of the actor’s child molestation scandal.

A 2012 tape of Collins allegedly admitting to molesting several children years prior was released Tuesday by TMZ, resulting in immediate backlash from Hollywood, including this latest response from UP TV.

“As a top family-friendly network, we are deeply concerned for the families that are potentially affected by these disturbing allegations surrounding actor Stephen Collins,” Charley Humbard, President and CEO of UP TV, said in a statement. “7th Heaven has been a beloved family show and a fan-favorite on our network. We have made the decision to remove the series from our schedule effective at 5 p.m. ET today. We will continue to monitor the situation and listen carefully to our viewers. Replacing 7th Heaven tonight will be Supernanny, a series dedicated to bringing families together.”

1. Jess says:

Huh? I am so surprised by this. I loved 7th Heaven and now am ashamed that I even liked this actor at all.

2. TV Gord says:

You just never know! This is a good lesson to parents that even the seemingly nicest people can be horrible life-destroying people.

3. Jesse says:

Bruce Mathis has been bangin’ baby dudes.

4. Patrick says:

I guess its called acting for a reason. That said, if you ever see any of his made for TV movies from back in the day, he was super convincing as a bad guy/predator.

5. Larry David says:

It’s not his fault! The little girl must have been asking for it!

6. js says:

Sucks for the rest of the 7th heaven team … losing out because of this guy

• CJ says:

Absolutely. While I completely agree with UP TV’s decision, it is such a shame that the horrific actions of one man so negatively affect the lasting legacy of a show that many people worked to make for over a decade. Obviously the well-being and recovery of his victims is more important, but it is still a shame.

7. Moment says:

People like Stephen Collins make me sick, such a vile human being. He deserves locking away for a very long time.

8. Brandy says:

Having 7 th Heaven removed makes sense but makes me sad cause I love the show.Im shocked and saddened and disgusted with Stephen if the allegations are true.

9. Tony Lang says:

“8 year olds, Dude.”

10. dreamlife613 says:

I never liked this show. The bits and pieces I saw of it looked really cheesy, and too religious. What a coincidence that the actor playing such an “upstanding” guy is a pervert and predator in real life.

11. Ben says:

1) Lets not forget these are allegations, and that ‘a tape on TMZ’ is not necessarily reliable.

2) It’s a shame that this would affect the ongoing viability of reruns and sales of 7th heaven, a show which I know many people really love. But it is really very unfortunate that this is the most famous character played by Collins. It just makes things worse.

12. Ray says:

What…no priest jokes?

13. jm says:

Just one person come to my mind. “Robert Polanski”.
    So before talking nasty things about a person, we should learn the facts first.
    A person is inoncence till prove the other way.

• johnhelvete says:

I think you mean Roman Polanski. While I agree about innocent until proven guilty, there are probably better examples of actual innocent people to use instead of Polanski who actually plead guilty to “unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor”. The girl was 13 in that case by the way.

• Moment says:

Did you listen to the recording? It’s hard to put a PG opinion of the man on here afterwards.

• Lizo says:

FYI Roman Polanski wasn’t innocent. He raped a child and then fled the country.

14. Brendan says:

It is sad that this may be the legacy of 7th Heaven. Such a good show and Eric was such a positive character and so well brought to life by Collins’ performance.

15. Jeff LeBlanc says:

what ever happened to innocent until proven guilty..

• MA says:

That’s for court. This is public opinion. The recording certainly seems legit. The dude’s a creep.

• Moment says:

Yep, the recording is available on quite a few places.

• Tony Lang says:

It was during a couples therapy session, made covertly by an angry wife, given to a disreputable outlet. He could’ve been sarcastic, telling her what she wanted to hear, or even saying something to push her into divorcing him so he wouldn’t be taken to the cleaners. Point is, his “confession” is worthless until given on the record to an officer of the law. Until he’s had his day in court, public opinion remains ill-informed.

• Moment says:

You’re entitled to believe what you want to believe, I expected a Collins apologist to emerge.

• Ovaltine Jenkins says:

I think that you’re reaching a bit on this. This has been out for a full day now and he hasn’t denied anything. All he has done is take cover and run which usually means that whatever happened is the truth.

• Moment says:

He has also resigned from the Screen Actors Guild.

• TV Gord says:

That tape is quite conclusive, and if it is being misinterpreted in any way, he would have responded to the allegations by now.

As for TMZ being a “disreputable” outlet, you’re way behind the times. It’s breaking as many stories–if not more–than any other outlets. I used to think they were as sleazy as The Enquirer, too, but my thinking has evolved. If you look at their record, they have become a reliable source.

• MA says:

Actually since he was admitting to a crime, she was well within her rights to make the recording. My understanding is that she consulted a criminal attorney before she did it. Plus the fact that he’s denied nothing and this has been out all day tells me he meant what he said. I don’t personally approve of releasing it to a tabloid, but whatever. If the dude’s a child molester and the ex wants to be sure he’s not a threat to kids on the sets he works on, so be it.

• Ben says:

It should be for public opinion as well.

• MA says:

I don’t think so. “Innocent until proven guilty” is a legal term. I don’t need all the legal evidence to form a personal opinion. A recorded confession and his silence all day tells me most of what I need to know.

16. Lisa says:

He has a kind and humble looking face…very deceptive

17. CHRIS says:

SAME HERE I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO SAY:(

18. Drew says:

It is a shame that the legacy of the show is ruined forever. I can’t watch a Roman Polanski movie, and I won’t be able to watch this jerk again either. I would love for it to not be true for a number of reasons. Maybe some Mel Gibson-like situation where the tapes are edited to sound damning… but it doesn’t seem that way so far. It’s disgusting.
    Fortunately for him, being a child molester never stopped anyone from working in Hollywood. I’m sure he’ll be back on his feet in no time. (read that last line with the proper amount of disgust please)

19. shunda177 says:

What I don’t understand is, how is it legal what she did? Don’t get me wrong, if he is truly guilty then I hope they hang him up by his gonads! But they were in a therapy session. Isn’t that a protected conversation?

• K says:

According to TMZ ” in California you’re allowed to secretly record conversations to gather evidence the other person committed a violent felony … molesting a child under the age of 14 qualifies.” So his wife’s lawyer was advised to tape the conversations between the therapist and this p.o.s.

What I’m curious about is if the recording was made in 2012, why wasn’t it brought to police then?

• Lynne says:

Therapy is protected by the doctor-patient confidentiality thing, but legally if a patient confesses to a criminal act to their therapist, they are required to report it to the authorities. I dont understand why, if this tape is 2years old, how is this just coming out now? Unless the authorities have been working on the investigation this whole time and it was just released to the media but that doesnt seem to be the case here to me.

• Paloma says:

But aren’t therapists mandatory reporters for child abuse? So why did the wife need to record it. Shouldn’t the therapist have reported it to authorities?

20. Aimee says:

Guess he won’t be coming back to The Fosters anytime soon.

21. Ok so, if he admitted to this and there’s proof, wouldn’t he be arrested??

22. lorna says:

He always creeped me out. I remember him making a comment about Biel or Mitchell after they’d gone through puberty. Ick.

23. tom says:

Lets find him guilty before a trial? Down with UP !!

• Moment says:

Listen to the recording before jumping to the mans defense(Though I’m surprised some people could defend him). A recording of him confessing to his crimes is enough proof.

24. j says:

Tales of the gold monkey.

25. steve says:

Ok yes it’s a bad thing for that person if He did What was said but That does give the right to cancel 7th heaven none of the 7th heaven tv shows none of the shows had anything to do with molestation so I don’t know what the problem is why should be other cast suffer because of what he did it should also be continued to be shown The man has not been proven guilty yet so i will not watch any programs on up untill up aires 7th heaven its wrong to cancel the show and make all the other cast suffer its just not right

• Lynne says:

Cancel? The show has been finished for years, so cancel is not the right term. They just decided to pull the episodes from their network, which they have every right to do. UP is a religious/Christian based network and while the show itself is wholesome family entertainment, these allegations against Stephen are not. They probably believe that if they continue to air the series, they might come under fire by parent and religious groups for supporting an admitted child molester.
      And there was an episode about molestation. Stephen’s character helped a young woman finally talk to her family about the sexual abuse that happened to her by her mother’s previous boyfriend some years before.

• Alex says:

Learn how to punctuate, please.

26. Cheryl says:

So he is found guilty without a trial?? Shame on you!!! It is a wonderful TV show and you should not penalize the viewers or other actors by taking it off the network!!!

• Mary says:

Did you listen to the tape? The fact that he has made no statement and resign from his position said it all. I will admit I watched the show back in the days but how can you in all good conscious watch a show knowing what he did and enjoy it. Yes it is to bad for the other actors who won’t receive money due to his actions but that just it, he shouldn’t be rewarded either. This show has been off for years and I really don’t see how you feel that you are being penalize.

27. Joe Bostaph says:

I am saddened to hear that 7th heaven will be gone I love the show and really hope to see it back on soon

28. Emily says:

Don’t remove it was a good show

• Moment says:

It had to happen and is a standard response from any network or studio when an actor or actress commits a serious crime. At this moment the man is a Pariah, no studio or network will want to be associated with him, and if and when his victims come forward and a conviction is brought against him, he will end up sued from every angle by his victims and those who experience losses due to 7th Heaven not being on the air.

29. Noel E. Gutierrez says:

I grew up watching that show and I have had a very high respect for Mr. Collins for being such a good actor and for representing the way a Dad should behave. I don’t believe the things that are being said about him. He’s a Man of God and a good example for all. I will pray for him.

• Mary says:

Seriously?? Did you not hear the tape??? He was acting you really do not know him personally at all. Please do pray for him and yourself for living in denial. If one is so innocent, why did he quit his position at the screen actor guild. Why hasn’t he made a statement regarding the allegations? You really need to take the blinders off for a man you do not know.

30. Reid Melton says:

Lets not jump to conclusions , here . We don’t know if Stephen did this or not . Celebrities are easy targets of vindictive fans and people looking for attention . Remember when Michael Jackson was falsely accused of the same thing when he was alive back in the 1990s . Or Kobe Bryant was arrested on rape charges which were proven wrong . Just because Stephen was accused of this and admitted to three of these counts , pulling 7th heaven from up and tvguide channels is little premature . One bad apple doesn’t spoil the entire tree . And Stephen Collins wasn’t the only star , remember Jessica Biel , who became a big star when she left the series. So before we formed a lynch mob , lets get our facts straight .

• Moment says:

He confessed on a tape, what more do you need?

• Mary says:

Just because something could not be proven beyond a reasonable doubt does not make the person not guilty. The examples you have chosen are questionable to say the least. Why would a religious network want to be associated with someone of questionable character. These are reruns so it is not like they are stopping production and ruining the other actors lively hood. Fact is he admitted on tape so how is there a doubt.

31. Jeanne says:

I love that show! Please put it back on! :(

32. mark deigan says:

its not fair to the viewers or the other actors to remove the show. and he has not been convicted

33. Patty Allen Dennison says:

If no more 7th Heaven, would be nice if you returned Touched by an Angel in its place Miss that show as well. Thanks.

34. Beth says:

I understand the decision but will really miss the show. Do we really need hours of Super Nanny? How about Touched by an Angel or another uplifting series?!

• TV Gord says:

I imagine Supernanny was just the easiest/quickest fill-in. They’ll probably plug something else in there when they have a chance to re-group. Touched By An Angel (in spite of the unfortunate title in this context) is a good idea!

• steve says:

Well this is fine how everybody has thier own belief but that should not cause the cancel of 7th heaven ive watch many of the series and not one episode Had anything to do with Any indication of molestation and why should the show be cancled its just not right and yes no one should be molested in this world but before this came about 7th was a well respected show and i would allow any to watch 7th heaven right today a far as im concern 7th heaven is pg rated and should be allowed to be aired and untill it is i will no longer watch up tv sorry steve

35. Sonja Dimov says:

Please bring back 7 heaven again to Australia I love that show so much

36. You should keep the show on. I like watching the program. Why punish all the other actress and actresses who where on the show. The show is suppose to give a spiritual lesson on life for kids and other people. Like Robin Williams did drugs and I still see his show on. So why cancel 7th heaven just because of one guy. A lot of people enjoy watching the show.

37. Ross aswegen says:

I don’t care if he did that as Christians we need to forgive him and I love 7th Heaven and I want it back on

• TV Gord says:

The only forgiveness that matters is from those he preyed upon and abused. This comment just shows how some people don’t “get” the effect sexual abuse has on people, or you wouldn’t make such an unfeeling comment.

You don’t do much for the image of Christians by saying that you “don’t care if he did that” (never mind the arrogant assumption that everyone commenting here is Christian). Fortunately, I know enough compassionate Christians, so I know your comment doesn’t represent them. Still, it’s saddening to read that you care more about reruns of an old TV series than about this sick man’s abuse of children.

38. James Hurt says:

7th Heaven is a wonderful family show and we should not be punished. “Thanks” to the media for taking away a show that the entire family could watch. I say punish the person not the folks who had nothing to do with his deed. We need a show like 7th Heaven compared to all the violent, sex and lame should-be comedy sitcoms. Whose monitoring these TV shows anyway?

39. Sue says:

I loved 7th Heaven. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? And of all shows as a replacement Supernanny – it is NOT worth watching. Please reconsider.

40. Laressa says:

I have seriously been watching every episode for the past 2months. This is really sad. This man who plays a great part in a great show turns out to be that way. I pray its all false. I love 7th Heaven. Ugh im disappointed and if this is true disgusted.

41. Has it actually been confirmed it was him on the tape? I understand them removing him from TV until then, but should we presume guilt as well?
    I’m not defending him, just don’t think we should turn on someone without more facts

• steve says:

The bottom line is 7th heaven needs to be aired which is being aired by other networks so if up network does not air 7th heaven well that is up network poor judgement and up loss of viewers sometimes when judgement is rushed or talk about then the person that is doing rushing or talking about becomes the loser becuse even if 7th heaven stephen is found guilty i will always enjoy watching 7th heaven it is a good show to watch by any age so up network it is wrong what you did to 7th heaven it was poor judgement steve

42. Erin says:

I’m upset you removed 7th heaven from your network! It’s a great family show and stephen plays a good part on it despite the recent events in his own life. Bring 7th Heaven back! You are the only channel that airs it so now I can’t watch it!

• steve says:

Just to let you know to all that is concern up tv network is not the only network to air 7th heaven thier are others over the inernet that is airing 7th heaven right today and im watching 7th heaven so i dont need up network to see 7th heaven and dont watch up network as of now steve

43. Erin says:

I want to be able to watch it on tv not the Internet. I searched for it and now I have nobody airing it.

44. Pam says:

I believe he was blackmailed. People are innocent until proven guilty in our country. I would like to keep an open mind . Has he admitted to this allegation? I still love 7th Heaven and would like to see it back on the air.

• will says:

I totally agree with that statement

• TV Gord says:

He hasn’t denied it. It’s been a week! He has had plenty of time to defend himself, but instead, he has resigned from the SAG board he was on. He has been dropped by his agents and he has been dropped from Ted 2. Someone with an open mind would look at all of that and say he has conceded admission.

45. Amanda says:

I understand people not standing by him, but what about all the other actors on this show. I started watching the reruns from the very beginning and you were on season 10 when you pulled the show! I want to see the rest of it! Bring it back and let the viewers decide if they want to watch it or not! I want it back!

46. will says:

please put 7th heaven back on the air

47. 7th heaven should not have been dropped. it’s a really cool show.

48. N thomas says:

Please bring it back

• steve says:

Well at this point i dont watch up tv anymore this area local tv station is now Showing 7th heaven on thier digatal chanel so up tv your loss and besides even if stephen did what was said i will always watch 7th heaven you could let all children watch 7th heaven nothing on 7th heaven was about what stephen is being accuse of so i dont know why you up tv cancelled 7th heaven that show had nothing to do with having sex with children pity on up tv choices its wrong steve

49. marcia says:

Honestly the only reason why i watched this channel was because of 7th heaven. Yes it was very wrong what he did.. but its just a show u know it shouldnt be judged based on the real lives of the people. Its a darn make fictional family and show!!!!

50. Sharon says:

Please put 7th heaven back on, I miss it so much, especially Ruthie & Simon!
    reguards Sharon A big 7th heaven fan!