Jessica Lange's AHS Exit: Co-Creator Ryan Murphy Tempts Her With a Plan B

Jessica Lange Freak Show

Don’t count Jessica Lange out just yet!

Despite previous statements that Freak Show — premiering Wednesday at 10/9c on FX — will be Lange’s final season of American Horror Story, co-creator Ryan Murphy is now hopeful that the series’ leading lady will be back for more.

RELATED Exclusive AHS: Coven DVD Video: How Did They Really Choose the Next Supreme?

“This is her favorite season, without question,” Murphy told reporters Tuesday. “I really want her to keep her hand in. Does that mean 13 episodes? Does that mean six? Does that mean one? She and I are probably going to have a dinner date when the holidays come.”

So how will Murphy convince Lange to stay on board?

“It always starts with a character for Jessica, so I think I’d have to present her with something she was very interested in,” he explained. “Before, I was met with a really quick ‘No.’ Now, I’m hearing, ‘Well, let’s keep talking.’ So I thought that was a very good sign. … I think if I presented her with the right character, and it could work with her schedule, she might be interested. … That’s my hope.”

And if all else fails, Murphy joked, “I’m sending her bribes every day.” (At least, we think he was joking.)

Can you imagine AHS without Lange? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. joão says:

i thought he was going to give her a role on his new crime show lol

2. Joey says:

I was thinking about where they could go in future seasons, and I’d love if they went all-in on horror and get really Lovecraftian. Since I also really like the idea behind small-town cults, I’m thinking a take on “The Shadow Over Innsmouth” would be fantastic.

3. Teag says:

I’d be fine with her recurring next season. Been bored of her characters since Asylum. It’s always about health, old age and going crazy for her.

• Fernanda says:

Yeap. She always played the bitter, crazy old lady. At least she could be the first victim from the mistery of next season. As Mary Alice Young character in the unforgettable show Desperate Housewives.

• Kevin says:

Sister Jude’s wasn’t about health and old age? at least I don’t think so anyway, and I heard elsa is quite different from her previous 2 roles

4. Jake says:

AHS, would be nothing without Lange. She is an amazing actress and a huge reason a lot of people watch.

5. ChicagoDan says:

JL is great, but if she appears in some, but not all of the episodes, better than nothing. All these stories are intricate weaves with a great ensemble cast (it’s not like the show has bad actors!) I also think Jessica realizes that the format allow for so many challenges. She’s not saddled with the same character each year. My bet – AHS S5 = 10 JL episodes.

6. I am a huge fan of Ms. Lange, but if she doesn’t cut down on the chain-smoking her time is going to be cut short anyway. I was really happy when she won the Emmy but got nervous when she held out her elbow (very charmingly) in a graceful way for one of the presenters of her award to make it up the steps, and held it out again to be escorted off stage. Then again, she could have just been tired or had sore feet. Smoking killed my mother when she was a few years old than Ms. Lange, and she’d already quit a decade ago. I would be great if she stuck around for another season, but try getting Jessica Lange to do something she doesn’t want to do!

• She broke a few bones in a relatively simple fall about five years ago. Add to that her slight bone structure and being 65– chances are pretty good that she may have osteoporosis, which could explain needing an escort going up and down those stairs.

• amd says:

It’s already killed her looks. Not that it matters how she looks, but she is the poster child for never smoking unless you plan to look reptilian when you’re older.

• Jennifer Elliott says:

Get out of here! She is one of the most gorgeous actresses of her generation and has legs for days! There’s 20 and 30-somethings out there that wish that had stems like that! Beautiful woman!!

7. JessicaLangeFan says:

AFH and Jessica Lange go hand in hand for me. I absolutely love Jessica Lange’s performance(s) in the AHS series. She makes the show what it is. I cannot imagine what AHS would even be like without her in it.

8. Mikael says:

I’m so glad Angela Bassett and Kathy Bates returned. If Jessica Lange doesn’t come back, hopefully those 2 can carry the torch.

9. Danae Damarelos says:

Absolutely NOT!!! Jessica Lange is what bring AHS into place!!! DONT GO!!!

10. Amy says:

I Agree with the many other comments on here, Jessica Lange makes this show what it is. I enjoyed the Asylum season the best so far almost purely out of her acting and how genius the writing was. Not to knock the other actors on the show but she steals the screen every time along with Sarah Paulson. Ms. Lange please consider remaining on the show, we love you!

11. Jenny Fusco says:

American Horror Story without Jessica Lange is Breaking Bad without Bryan Cranston! She carries the show! I would have to say this is her best role yet!

12. christopher says:

Jessica lange is to ahs what joan cillins was to dynasty or larry hagman was to dallas. it cant happen. she pulls it all together and looks like she;s having a great time doing it. i always liked her work but this is her best stuff in years.

13. Maureen B says:

It’s not that she “makes” the show, but she is a fantastic actress and I for one would miss her if she left.

14. Joseph Ramirez says:

Jessica Lange is phenomenal. She is A.H.S. Her characters have been played superbly and I would absolutely love to see her continue. She appears almost ageless and every season her performances continue to get better and better. My daughter, my son and I are glued to the T.V. on Wednesdays.

15. Diane Eifert says:

American Horror Story is nothing without Jessica Lang. This is by far a very interesting part for her. She is an amazing actress and with out her I think the show will fail. Some members have left and I don’t miss them. American Horror Story is Jessica Lang. Ryan Murphy is very fortunate to have gotten one of the greatest actress of this generation.. Please get her to stay.

16. Shannon Staiger says:

Jessica Lange is one of the greatest actresses I’ve ever had the privilege of watching. It is such a pleasure to watch her every season. I truly hope that she will at least remain connected to the show in some way. Thanks Ms. Lange for all the grest characters.

17. GreenHamBox says:

I mean, I certainly don’t want her gone, but I hardly think that the show will die without her. It’ll always be great for her to come back, but I’m okay with them scouting for some new talent. Personally, I’m loving Michael Chiklis and Finn Wittrock, so I’m okay with adding a new lady to the team. Don’t shoot me.

• Gemini80 says:

I agree, Jessica is obviously an amazing actress. But you can’t cast aside Kathy and Angela they are two amazing actresses too who can hold their own in anything they are a part of. I personally loved Coven when the 3 of them were in the scenes. Coven over all not my favorite season but when the three of them had a scene it was great. I also hope Ryan gets Tassia Famiga back next season imo she is a WAY better actress than Emma Roberts.
      I also agree Chiklis is a solid actor and Evan Peters always brings his A-game to the show. Murphy has a history of casting amazing people, I hope Jessica stays even if it’s only for a few episodes but if she doesn’tI am not worried about the show!

• brenjane60 says:

I love that the show is always expect the unexpected, There are no rules. I hope she stays. But I would watch faithfully every week if she does not. I did not think it could go on without Dylan McDermott. But I survived.

18. Selma says:

Jessica is the heart and soul of AHS :( I hope she stays.

19. Cathy says:

She makes me tune in. Most of the other characters are pretty much unknowns (compared to her). This year especially because I’m not into clowns (no matter how menacing) and never really cared for the freak show part of the circus when I was younger so I probably wouldn’t be watching it without her. Maybe if she’s given the choice to decide on her character for next season she’ll come back. Wishful thinking anyway!

20. Lina Homesombath says:

AHS isn’t AHS without Jessica Lange!! Hope she stays kus We Love Her!!!!

21. Jody Jensen says:

All of us here in Minnesota are very proud of Jessica and of course we want her to remain with AHS. I love everything she’s done and was wondering if you could maybe make a season out of The Mothman? Not too crazy about the rumors about going Sci-Fi.

22. Denise says:

Jessica Lange is Everything!!! She can not leave. Come up with an enticing character that will whelp her appetite. Something wicked this way comes…..please stay Jessica

23. Samantha says:

Could not imagine AHS without Jessica Lange!!! She is so powerful in all her performances, i love them all but freakshow has been my fav too!!

24. I would be really sad if Jessica wasn’t part of the show , I don’t think I would watch any more. She’s my favorite character!!! :-) :-) :-)

25. Niteldy says:

No Jessica? Seriously??? Then why even produce the show? How can you make a show without its Star? Ms. Lange is the meat and potatoes , dont get me wrong I love all the actors and actresses BUT Jessica is the headliner. She brings it all together. I dont think you can produce a quality show without her…….

26. vince anderson says:

I can’t imagine American Horror without Jessica. She is an incredible actor.

27. Just reading about the possible return of Jessica lange in the next season of AHS. I love her as a person and an actress she is so real and natural unlike many artists today. Jessica is the driving force for the show she is the main reason I am so addicted to the show. I have seen every season and savor over every episode. Please do anything to keep her!

28. OMG Jessica absolutely MUST not go!!!!! She is half the reason I’m hooked- I hated her character last year, so much so that I actually anticipated and yet immediately regretted her death……. crazy habit forming Jessica…. I am addicted.

29. It wouldn’t be the same without Jessica Lange! I love every character she’s ever played. Please don’t leave!

30. Shelli says:

NOOOO! She makes that show!!! She is the shiz!!!! LOVE HER!!!

31. Cathy Patrick says:

Jessica IS the show!! She is amazing!! I started watching it because she was in it. Please stay !!!

32. Jackson says:

I love Jessica to death. I hope she stays.

However, if she chose to go, I have faith that the cast would endure, and that Sarah would reign as the new Supreme.

33. brenjane60 says:

Down on her luck crooked casino manager overseeing a 70’s type arrogant over the top glam & glitz rockstar or rock band that is out of control ( sex, drugs , rock & roll, mayhem) in Vegas, fame is fading, would sell their soul to the devil at this point as would she. With a “What happens in Vegas . Stays in Vegas.” based mentality.

34. Larissa says:

She can’t leave it wouldn’t be the same she is just so perfect

35. Elizabeth says:

The producers need to do anything and everything to keep her on board. This show will not work without her.

36. Maria says:

The show will not be the same, she is the reason I started watching it!!!

37. Heather says:

I can’t imagine AHS without Jessica Lange. I hope they are able to convince her to stay because the show will fall into obscurity without her.

38. Jennifer Elliott says:

Ms. Jessica Lange is such an integral part of the show….in EVERY season thus far. I must be honest, this was the first season I’ve watched, however during and mid season, I went back and watched all of the previous seasons, “Freak Show” and “Asylum” being my favorites, but only by a small margin! Please, Ms. Lange, be so gracious as to give us another season of fantastic acting. All of the repeating stars are amazing, but somehow you always tie all of them, the plot, and overall show together. I could give the rest of the cast resounding acclaim, but this post is about you after all! Please give it another go! (or 2, or 3!) Oh, and not to worry, films you do in between are being watched, as well (worrying you hit Mr. Wahlberg too hard, lol). You can do it…grace us on both the small and big screens!

39. gerry o'brien says:

I would love to see the show go sci fi. American horror story : Abductions

40. Angelo Nevarez says:

Please convince her to come back lol it wouldn’t be the same without her!!! Sheis such an amazing diverse actress.

41. B says:

Jessica is a talented woman but part of me thinks she’s been so successful because these roles are tailored made for her?! I didn’t mean that in a negative way at all I think this season has been the worst so far I think her talent was wasted this year she was put to better use in Coven and Murder House

42. Danny Dement says:

I love her

43. Jackie Beacham says:

Jessica Lange must come back. The show would be nothing without her; never seen her play a character that wasn’t the best.

44. Kristen Harvey says:

I don’t think I will watch the next season if I hear she is not in it. She makes the whole show and I look forward to seeing each episode because of her. As much as I love Gaga, she is not AHS, Lange is!!

45. Marjorie says:

American Horror Story is Jessica Lange. She is a superb actress and she puts everything into her character. Please, Jessica, don’t let your AHS fans down, please stay on.

46. mandy says:

Jessica lange must come back she is the face of ahs end of