FX Orders AHS Companion Series American Crime Story

American Crime Story Series Order FX

Ryan Murphy has a lot more Story to tell.

The American Horror Story creator will bring another anthology series — this one centered on notorious crimes in U.S. history — to FX, TVLine has confirmed.

The 10-episode first season will center on the O.J. Simpson murder trial and will be titled American Crime Story: The People Vs. O.J. Simpson. It will be based on Jeffrey Toobin’s book The Run of His Life: The People V. O.J. Simpson, which is told from the lawyers’ perspective and details the legal maneuvering involved in the famous case.

If American Crime Story continues, subsequent seasons will focus on other infamous crimes.

The project received a straight-to-series order, meaning it can skip the pilot stage and go directly into production. Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski (The People vs. Larry Flynt) will pen the script; Murphy — who’ll co-executive produce with AHS Brad Falchuk, among others — will direct the first episode.

Filming is slated to begin in early 2015 in Los Angeles.

The current season of American Horror Story, subtitled Freak Show, premieres Wednesday at 10/9c on FX.

1. androme3 says:

I definitely am gonna enjoy this…

2. Missy Kelly says:

Oh, Gee. Looking forward to another take on the OJ trial. So many crimes in US history and the first one is about the one case everyone is tired of talking about. Come on, Ryan: you are better than this. A little research and find something compelling, interesting, and something people don’t know so much about and aren’t already decided on.

• Tom says:

The thing is, Ryan’s not better than this.

• johnhelvete says:

I agree about Murphy. People vs Larry Flynt was a good film, but even the writers of that movie cant get me that interested in a series about OJ.

• David4 says:

I agree. Out of all the awesome crime stories to be told they pick the one no one wants to talk about anymore!

• Cheyenne says:

I’ll watch it because it’s based on Toobin’s book, which was great. It was the only really balanced account of the OJ trial.

• Cheo says:

I can’t say that I disagree with this much, if at all. But a dramatized version might be a way to take us where we haven’t been yet with this. Me, I’d have preferred a treatment of Jack the Ripper, given the disputable-yet-intriguing evidence. Or that guy in Russia who ate all those kids and then acted all defiant at his trial.

3. alistaircrane says:

Really? OJ? Reeeeeally? I’ll pass.

4. herman1959 says:

No; exactly who do they think will be watching?

5. Supernino21 says:

Uhm… I’ll pass.

6. Yeahman says:

You’re kidding me right? That is a terrible idea.

7. Steven says:

I’m a sucker for legal shows so I’ll check it out, but it’s Ryan Murphy so my expectations are extremely low.

• dude says:

If AHS has proven anything, it’s that he’s extremely capable of producing great television as long as it has a finite end date so he doesn’t get bored. I don’t think something as non-campy and serious as this is really in his wheelhouse though. I expect lots of self-important speeches about justice and doing the right thing.

• Steven says:

Even with finite stories it can become a mess. Last season of AHS fell apart near the end. His only creation I liked from beginning to end was Popular and that may be because it got cancelled.

• Joey says:

Last season was a mess from beginning to end. Luckily it had good actors who could carry such a mess (with a fair bit of wobbling).

8. Jared says:

Sounds like a cool concept but the first season covering the OJ trial just killed my interest. I think ill just stick with AHS for now.

9. Geo says:

Wouldn’t it be a lot smarter to tackle a crime story that pretty much everybody, even cats and dogs, aren’t sick of? Like how about a more obscure crime from an interesting decade of US history? Like others, I saw the concept, “American Crime Story,” and thought “that could be interesting.” Then I saw “the OJ trial” and my reaction becomes “yeah, no thanks.”

10. MattArmando says:

This is already being done by ABC, called AMERICAN CRIME written by John Ridley……

11. Mik says:

Whyyyy OJ though?

12. kd83954 says:

Oh now THIS I would watch.

13. Mel says:

I am a huge fan of AHS but will I be watching this? Absolutely not.

14. jasie says:

They should have just come up with an original crime story. This just seems lazy and unoriginal. Frankly it doesn’t interest me much at all. Let’s see how casting goes.

15. RobAndCo says:

Oh no. He already doomed Glee when he started working on AHS in season 3. Now he’s going to kill AHS when he starts doing ACS… Can’t the guy just do one TV show at a time?

16. Dani says:

American Sci-fi Story then American Fantasy Story. Please. There are so many crime shows already. True Detective is already the anthology crime show. From the looks of this, its going to be like Murder in the First where we saw a lot of the defense lawyer and the defendant. I love AHS, but my expectations are not going to be as high.

17. Cheo says:

Is it reality-based or dramatized? Dramatized would be infinitely more fun. In fact, reality-based would be decided bummer, given the outcome.

18. Cheyenne says:

Looking forward to this one. I love true crime stories.

19. kate says:

Pssst. Nancy Grace already does this.

On a more serious note: the writing on AHS has gone completely off the rails, to the point where I can’t justify watching it even with its stellar cast (I quit in the middle of last season, it was just too terrible). I figured they would be making up horrific crimes, now we’re going to be treated to a rehash of crimes everyone’s already done to death? Bleh.

20. IMHO says:

The OJ trial….Way to beat a dead horse !
    I would rather watch an “American True Crime Story” that happened years ago or perhaps something that the media hasn’t already done 24 / 7 for months and months.

21. arial2 says:

Gee, I really hope the “companion series” comment was yours and not Ryan Murphy’s. I don’t see much similarity between a spooky fictional series and the real-life horror of murderers who did and did not get away with crimes.

22. Sean C. says:

If there’s anyone who can be trusted to handle the sensitivities of dramatizing a murder case where the victims’ families are still alive, and the case involves fraught issues of race in American, that person is…not Ryan Murphy.