BET's The Game to End With Season 9

The Game Cancelled

It’s Game over.

BET’s The Game will conclude after its ninth season, our sister site Deadline reports.

RELATED TNT’s Dallas Cancelled After 3 Seasons

The series was renewed earlier this year for Season 8, which is currently filming for an early 2015 premiere.

“All good things must come to an end, and after celebrating four successful seasons of The Game on BET, the network has announced production is underway on the show’s final two seasons,” according to a statement posted on BET’s Website. The network added that the show’s January 2011 debut drew 7.7 million viewers, and that it hoped to give “Sabers fans a chance to bid farewell to their favorite players on and off the field.”

The Game began its run on The CW for three seasons before finding a second lease on life at BET.

Will you miss The Game once it’s gone or is this the right time for the show to shut down? Sound off below!

1. Erika says:

Should not have taken off Melanie and Derwin. Along with them went the heart of the show;”(

• Chris says:

The Game wasn’t the same after Derwin and Melanie left. I watch the old episodes more so than the new ones. Blue and Kira (sorry if I misspelled the names) just don’t get it for me. I actually fast forward through their scenes. Maybe if they had a different storyline instead of doing the whole relationship thing. It was like trying to replace my two favorites (Derwin and Melanie). I too am glad to see the old Kelly come back as well and I loved Brandys character.

• Michelle says:

Exactly! Nothing like to original cast. Derwin & Melanie ROCK!

• Niecy G says:

Well Game fans, if you not aware. The Game marathon has been on since yesterday. Loving Derwin & Melanie episodes…. Check it out on BET!!!! In the words of Derwin #that’s was up#

• Niecy G says:

Loving this, please don’t cancel BET.. I wish I could watch the filming of the episodes. Well wishful thinking.

• Tonya Brown says:

I have been watching the marathon as well, love it!!!! Really miss Melanie & Derwin,. If the show is being canceled after this season, the writers/ network should consider bringing Pooh and Tia back for 3/4 episodes, including the FINAL episode.

• Sonia says:

I agree if the show has to end then bringing Melanie and Derwin back for the last couple of episodes is a must. Also I do love Chardonnay.

• Ms B says:

BRING MELANIE AND DERWIN BACK PLEAASSSEEE

• Michele says:

When Derwin and Melanie left, the story line fell off! Don’t get me wrong, I stl watched and enjoyed the show, but it was like they were written off in a hurry! If this end of the series after the next season, they should make a final appearance in the last episode! Bring back Derwin and Melanie!!

• chelsean9 says:

yea

• India says:

I disagree that Melaine and Derwin was the show ….I love blue and Keira …Jason and Chardonnay …Tasha acts too ghetto …and not her age …and bringing back Kelly …naw …it’s time to take the show off ..story lines are weak ….sorry

• Robin Leslie says:

I wonder why so many comments harp on the departure of Melanie and Derwin, as the reason for the show’s decline? Melanie became annoying and decided that she was doing Derwin such a HUGE FAVOR, reconciling with him, after he knocked up Janay. That was NOT entertaining, and I think that story line lost a LARGE number of viewers.

• Robin Leslie says:

I agree with that observation, however, Blue and Lauren London’s character(can’t spell the name) weren’t given a fair chance IMHO. Plus, replacing Kelly Pitts with a “sista?” Bad move, and worst move casting “has been” Brandy Norwood in the role. Watching Tasha Mack continuing to be the angry black woman, was no longer entertaining, and Malik PRETENDING to be “Mr. Player-player,” when he really longed for his father’s acceptance, was also NOT entertaining!!!

2. eddie says:

im a little surprised by this? the show still does pretty good ratings wise, i thought BET would try to beat “the jeffersons” record as longest running african american sitcom… i think they coulda too.

3. Although small, these parts are still necessary to operate the engine that you
    have. The lawn mower blades made by known brands like Scotts, MTD, John Dee lawn or Toro
    usually only last about a year. To ensure your system
    is providing even coverage over your lawn, place some empty cans or other straight-sided containers at various spots over the lawn, and then check how much water each contains after a watering
    session.

4. Doug says:

though I’m a fan of the show, this doesnt upset me too much. 9 Seasons is a great run, especially considering it was cancelled after season 3

5. Paris says:

The game ! Hey what can I say but thank you to all of the involved parties. Great writing , wonderful actors . We the fans yelled , wrote , screamed and the show was picked up by another network , priceless . The Game has ran its course . Mel and Derwin are gone ,plays shifted and new defensive and tight end players emerged :-).
    The Game will have the pleasure of being one of the few TV shows to have a nice proper ending , however the writers see fit to close this Game changing TV Show deserves a proper closing . Thanks BET for your commitment to the Sabers fans and making TV history .

6. James says:

Vlada Gelman, how can you consider a show “canceled” when a final season has just been ordered on top of another (Season 8) that is currently under production?

7. Amber says:

It’s sad but it needed to happen. At least it’s getting a proper wrap up unlike GIRLFRIENDS! STUPID CW, CANCELING ALL THE BLACK SHOWS BECAUSE THEY DIDN’T FIT IN THEIR “WHEELHOUSE”.

8. Derrick Hunt says:

The bet show the game on its cancellation is a big disappointment…I absolutely enjoyed watching the show and was looking forward to the new season…it had a nice blend of good young actors that made the show fun and enjoyable to watch

9. Tracy Skeeter says:

I don’t want the show to END =(

10. Tasha Smith says:

Atleast let Melonie and Derwin come back for an episode or two for the final season. ….Please

11. Deb says:

Noooo! It was just getting good again.

12. Imani5 says:

You cant just start something you cant finsh?

13. Barbara Williams says:

I’m really going to miss The Game!
    Please don’t go!

14. Rico says:

I will be extremely sad that The Game ia coming to a close , however I saw this coming since Melanie and Derwin left. I can only hope that they make a comeback before its all over. I really wish they would hand over the license of seasons 4-6 to Netflix so that this great show can be watched at any time.

15. Tahje says:

So sad to see it go!! They just brought my girl Kelly back!!! :(

16. amy says:

Yes I will miss this show.. I have been waiting for it to come back on. This was a great show!! very upset!!!

17. Criseena Lee says:

This should not be the end they should keep it going love this show

18. Glynda says:

Noooooooooooooooooooo!!! But I agree with Erika, should not have taken off Melanie and Derwin.

19. Tonetta says:

It’s really sad to know that another very good black show is coming to an end. But I really enjoyed watching it more with Melanie and Darwin. But still live the show regardless.

20. Seabreeze says:

I wanted the old way of filming back. If they had kept the cinematography and and laugh tracks they had in the first three seasons, it might have gotten more viewers to watch. And definitely needed Derwin and Melanie back!

21. Tonya says:

No it isn’t..because it’s a show that ppl can relate to especially African American..because it gives young women and men hope.it shows the characters are black successful men and women in a positive light..plus everybody loves Melanie and Derwin.and Chardonnay and Jason were really growing on me.I really love this show and would like to see more from it cuz I can watch reruns all day like I never saw the show before..please rethink this decision.

22. Chaneka says:

The Game will be missed. I enjoyed watching it all these years no matter what direction the storyline went. I did miss the characters Derwin and Melanie from the original cast. They were one of the main reasons the show was so popular and loved. However, all good things come to an end, and it’s time to move on. I hope the writers of the show come out with something else as great or even better than this in the future.

23. Renita Epps says:

The Game was no longer funny andit became too serious….after watching an episode I did not laugh/once. Keep in mind that yhese are suppossupposedly comedy shows. Melanie cried every episode and she became too mature too fast. TT all of a sudden became a counselor and and and.

24. TT says:

Tell me why all the “reality” shows stay but good shows get cancelled?

25. Malik McLaurin Jr says:

Most of the other shows are corny , I mean very corny but when I watch The game it makes me laugh and I have a fun time watching it all day – every day

26. Mike says:

no dont leave bring everyone back drew sadora trey wiggs jerome dion melanie derwin everyone please and make malik beat up that rapper that jumped him and make him be abel to play football again please

27. leslie says:

I don’t know what I am going to watch after it goes off the air…

28. Tee Azon says:

Noooooooo don’t goooo!!!!!! Sabers for life!!!! I love Tasha Mack!!

29. Rho says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

30. Vivian miller-smith says:

I hope Chardonnay was dreaming.

31. Jenny says:

I wasnt a fan that they took Melanie and Derwin off …suprised, but i still liked it they chose good people to fill they’re places. Even better when they brought kelly back, was never a huge chardonay fan…but this show should never end! Im obsessed!!

32. Dj says:

Don’t stop the game 😑!!

33. I have enjoyed the Game very much during its run and will miss the characters old & New. If there is a way to continue the show please,please,please do it.

34. Priscilla says:

I hate the show ends.

35. Nich says:

Bring back Med School and Ding Dong for season 8 & 9 please.

36. David says:

Why is it that the African American sitcoms will run 5 to to maybe 6 seasons and the white sitcoms will run a minimum of 10 seasons?

37. It was getting very boring when Derwin and melody left Tasha was ridiculous it won’t be missed

38. D says:

The show was trash since it left the CW. Writing has been aweful and perpetuates more negativity with no positive imagery.
    Its a show about rich hoodrats

39. Citrus Citrus says:

Boo! Boo! Boooo! I was really beginning to be immersed in the show again. I wish the network would make up its mind! Keep your promise BET, run the last two seasons please.

40. JG says:

Is the Game cancelled ? Or is it running 2 more seasons? Please clarify !

41. Maybe Oprah will take the show to OWN Network

42. Leslie Johnson says:

Wish they would not cancel show it took a minute to warm up to new cast but overall still a good show

43. GOONLATE says:

why end it the game is really fun I always watch it when I’m bored…..it makes my day

44. GOONLATE says:

why end the game that the best series in the world for me….and why was ding dong removed

45. Cathy Anderson says:

Can’t believe it’s canceled.

• Pearl813 says:

Game time, over!!! Blue was a good choice. However, the Macks sicken me. Tasha is incredibly ghetto, and Malik respects on woman, ever. Money, yes…brains, no.

46. tlg says:

I will definitely miss the game. I want at least want a season 10

47. Pamela says:

I love watching the game and it should not be decided that it will end after season 9. If viewers are no longer interested then it should be cancelled.

48. Tarcha says:

I’m sad that the game is ending damn no Tasha Mack anymore …. And this was a damn good show . 😞😥😡

49. Tarcha says:

I can’t believe the game is ending . I’m gon miss Tasha Mack the most. What a sad time just when she had a baby girl😩

50. Irish white says:

Please don’t take the game off the air I love the game I love the cast members so please don’t take it off