Dancing With the Stars Week 4 Results: Did The Right Couple Go Home?

DWTS Week 4 Alfonso Carlton

It’s only just Week 4 of Dancing With the Stars, and that means there’s still a relative glut of challengers (Tommy Chong, Michael Waltrip, and Betsey Johnson, to be specific) still heroically but hopelessly clinging to those confetti-soaked Mirrorball dreams.

But even without the specter of a shocking elimination, Monday’s live show still managed to assault our senses (and occasionally our tear ducts) as the 10 remaining celebs strutted their stuff to express the joy and/or heartbreak of their “Most Memorable Year.”

In addition to a moving performance of “Try” by Colbie Caillat (during Bethany Mota’s inspiring rumba), tonight’s show also featured a historic DWTS first: viewers were able to raise their digital paddles and score each dance (on ABC.com) right along with the judges. “America” gets my vote as the best guest judge of all time!

Let’s high-kick right to the highlights:

DANCE OF THE NIGHT: Alfonso Ribeiro and pro Witney Carson: Can you still hear that roar in the ballroom? We’ve all been waiting for Alfonso to bring “The Carlton” — his iconic “Fresh Prince of Bel Air” dance – to the ballroom, and wow, did he bring it! His joyful, highly infectious jazz-infused version was pure perfection. With this dynamic performance, Julianne said he’s “separated himself” from his famous Carlton character once and for all. Bruno excitedly called it, “Broadway standard jaaaaazz!” while Carrie Ann summed it up best: “This is what we’ve been waiting for … all I can say is, finally!” The dance earned the only all-perfect scores of the night.

RUNNER-UP FOR DANCE OF THE NIGHT: Lea Thompson and pro Artem Chigvintsev: Have we found another Mirrorball contender? Lea’s highly emotional contemporary dance (in memory of her father, who died of cancer in 2003) brought out tears (and raves) from the judges. “I will remember that dance forever,” said a clearly moved Carrie Ann, while Julianne complimented her perfectly pointed toes and the dance’s highly emotional wallop. Bruno praised her “exceptional quality of movement,” before concluding, “You are an exquisite performer.” A trio of perfect 10’s from the judges was spoiled only slightly by a mere “9” from America.

MOST CRIMINALLY UNDERSCORED: Jonathan Bennett and pro Allison Holker: OK, the Mean Girls star’s “Jingle Bell Rock”-fused samba was far from perfect (“How much Christmas punch have you had?” mused Bruno, before adding, “not enough.”), and admittedly the dance lacked elegance and technique (“it’s all kind of just erratic,” noted Julianne), but for pure entertainment value alone, wasn’t it better than the feeble row of 6s it garnered from the judges (that includes you, America!)?

WORST OF THE NIGHT: Michael Waltrip and pro Emma Slater: The agonizing pain in the judge’s voices summed up this quickstep-gone-very-wrong disaster: “You’re trying so hard,” lamented Bruno, before adding this zinger: “You went wrong so many times, sweetheart.” At least Carrie Ann (“Inside I’m crying”) was more charitable than Julianne, who somehow compared Michael’s frame to a deodorant commercial. Miraculously, the dance still earned a trio of 6s and a gift-wrapped 7 from America. But hearing Bruno call Michael “sweetheart” somehow made it all worthwhile.

Tonight’s results:

FINAL THREE COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Betsey Johnson and pro Tony Dovolani
Michael Waltrip and pro Emma Slater
Tommy Chong and pro Peta Meurgatroyd

FINAL TWO COUPLES LEFT “IN JEOPARDY”
Betsey Johnson and pro Tony Dovolani
Michael Waltrip and pro Emma Slater

ELIMINATED
Betsey Johnson and pro Tony Dovolani

“Thank you, thank you, thank you … to Dancing, mostly to Tony, to my fans,” said Betsey. “This has been the best, wonderful thing… It’s just been a trip.”

And with that, it’s your turn. Which couple should have really gone home tonight? Or was it Betsey’s time? Are you excited for the “Switch Up” next week? Sound off in the comments!

1. Lena says:

There are not enough words to describe the smile that went on my face when Alfonso did the Carlton on the show. It brought back memories only a 90s kid could understand. Loved it!

2. Tran says:

I’m rootin’ for Carlton from The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air to go ALL THE WAY!!

3. Laura says:

No the right couple did not go home. Betsy deserved to stay, Tony found a grove with her choreography . I’m deeply saddened that her joy and smile will not be on my tv next week.

• Kim says:

I am so with you Laura….. Betsy should have stayed. Michael and Emma should have left.

• Meh says:

Honestly, it was a toss up to me who should be going home between Betsey and Michael. Yes, Michael was worse, but they are both lacking. It’s certainly not a travesty that she left first since it is inevitable that both of them will leave well before any finale.

4. delfiteblu says:

I’m mostly ticked that Betsy got kicked off and that total blockhead Michael Waltrip, who dances like he has bricks tied to his shoes, didn’t.

5. jewlsg76 says:

I’m annoyed that I don’t get the chance to score since I live on the west coast. Otherwise I’m ok with the results as long as Michael goes soon.

6. Jaime says:

I gave Lea a 10 because her performance was amazing! I am quite peeved that enough people gave her a 9 to low-ball what should have been a perfect 40.

7. Glow says:

Duck dyn.Sadie should’ve gone home;just that hillbilly attire alone.her and grandfather are wrong and racist because of comments he made and she’s wrong for standing by him. Wrong is wrong.her family is wrong and shame on Dwts for co signing them.losers.

• Em says:

Not once did Sadie ever said she believes in what her grandfather said (she might but she shouldn’t be judged by what she might or might not believe). All she said is that they are family and in tough times you stick by your family and love them, even if you don’t necessarily agree with what they said…all that makes her is a nice person. All she is guilty of is loving her grandfather. As for the costumes…that was a mix of Mark’s choreography and the costume department. She is doing really well with her dancing and there is no reason for her to be voted off yet.

8. steve says:

Betsey. Should have stayed Michael should have bit it

9. are they not doing Tuesday eliminations anymore?
    because this is the second week with a monday elimination

• brad says:

tuesday eliminations were just for the first two weeks, and now it’s planned for the rest of the season that mondays will be elimination results based on last week’s scores and votes.

10. steve says:

Ya get rid of the racist duck sucker and her fake Christian in breeding family

• cooksayhello says:

This is a dance contest and it is a shame we base our opinion on what we believe and judge others because they don’t believe as we do. Her beliefs or her families beliefs should be no factor on deciding if she stays or goes.

11. Kasey says:

I wasn’t even watching I had my TV on so there was sound in the house. I was in another room when that famliar tune had me running to the TV to see Alfonso and Witney do The Carlton.

12. Shaunda says:

Micheal should have gone home

13. Lisa says:

Antonio doesn’t move his feet. How does he keep getting praised?

14. No elimination will be the right elimination until Michael Waltrip is banished from the ballroom. His attempts at dancing are horrid and he continues at the same level every single week. Betsey and Tony were a joy to watch even though she may not have been the best there is. She was so gracious about getting booted off too. Michael MUST GO!

15. Iakovos says:

Really liked Ribeiro and Thompson last night. And yes, YES! Bennett was so underscored. Waltip got a point more? NASCAR fans must like their drive and watch DWTS because I would have sent him to the garage and kept Johnson. She is far more entertaining to watch, and who doe not love Tony?!?! America as judge was a good gimmick but I do miss Len when he is away. Can’t Bruno or CarrieAnn miss a week sometime?

16. Jean Raymond says:

Maybe fans should start voting on the dance quality and not who they like best as a celeb. It is a DANCE competition not a popularity contest. As much as I love Michael I agree he was the worse. Yes the Carlton was fun and in my opinion was one of the top three, I am not sure it rated all 10’s.

17. Juju says:

Who should have gone home? MICHAEL WALTRIP. I’ve been saying that every week. Meanwhile, I like Tommy Chong as much as the next person, but he isn’t really dancing and they are way overscoring him. Sorry, Tommy.

18. Lisa Smith says:

I have really enjoyed this seasons dancer and its hard for any of them to go home…bye Betsy

19. janet says:

I think Michael Waltrip should really be voted off. He moves like a board.

20. Ana says:

Betsey, even at her age, danced circles around Michael, he should have gone home. He really hasn’t done any dancing since he started!! And, my question is, how much less covering are they going to have on the women. There isn’t much there and this program is on prime time…

21. Glow says:

I don’t feel Sadie is being a nice person when she agrees with family being wrong. I don’t think black people were happy picking cotton as slaves, do u?her grandfather is a racist and evidently so is she.hillbilly duck idiots. That’s what their famous for, really. Duck calls. Wow.

22. Krystn says:

Michael Waltrip should stick to NASCAR. His dancing is embarrassing and should not be there at this point in the show.

23. sandy says:

Michael is going to win because he has such a huge fan base. This will be an enormous embarrassment because he has been and continues to be the worst dancer in the show.

24. Alana Lum says:

I Thought Tommy Chong was terrible! He hardly moves, just let Peta take over. Why is he still there?