CBS' Odd Couple Reboot Promotes Yvette Nicole Brown to Series Regular

Yvette Nicole Brown The Odd Couple

The Odd Couple has formally adopted Yvette Nicole Brown.

The actress — whose departure from  Community was announced on Tuesday — has been upgraded to a full-fledged series regular on CBS’ upcoming reboot, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Brown joined The Odd Couple in August as the assistant to Matthew Perry’s Oscar, but the gig was initially a recurring one. With her Community exit a done deal, she was free to commit to Odd Couple full-time.

As Brown explained earlier this week, the multi-cam Odd Couple — versus the single-cam Community — is “a better fit for the life I have now,” adding, “My dad needs daily care and he needs me. The idea of being away 16 hours a day for five months, I couldn’t do it. It was a difficult decision for me to make, but I had to choose my dad.”

The Odd Couple, which is set to bow at midseason, finds Perry starring opposite Reno 911!’s Thomas Lennon (Felix). The cast also includes Wendell Pierce (The Michael J. Fox Show, Treme) and Lindsay Sloane (Weeds).

1. David4 says:

What a shock! Like I said earlier she didn’t want to do Community anymore and CBS shows are earlier.

• Mike R says:

I don’t believe that on the slightest like she said, she couldn’t leave her father for 16 hours a day, and The Odd Couple likely will be shot like other multicams with shorter hours. I understand her decision I just hope she will return for at leader two episodes and hopefully the eventual movie.

• Josh says:

Not only shorter hours overall, but she won’t be working the same hours period, given she’s a main character on Community and a supporting role on this.

• Since says:

Firstly – she was supporting on Community. And hours on multi-can aren’t that much better, it’s only the schedule that’s different. Plus, I don’t think she’s getting as much camera time as on Community, thus shorter work day.

• rowan77 says:

And you got that from — nothing. You made that up because you want her to keep playing Shirley. We all do, but multi-cam sitcom actors keep better than banker’s hours (usually from 10a-5p) four days a week and have one long 16-18 hour day one day a week. Community always had at least 16 hour days 5 days a week. This is clearly a better schedule for her while her father is so ill.

Next time you decide to diss someone – try using common sense – and don’t.

• Josh says:

You’re a loser, as always.

• Josh says:

You mean would she be doing her job? Making money to help pay for her father’s expensive medical bills. Do everyone a favor and don’t talk without thinking. This likely means you’ll never talk again, so YAY.

• Drew says:

There is a difference between an all consuming job that gives you very little free time at all, and just a normal job where you have reasonable hours.
      Working on a multi-cam sitcom will give her many hours per day that she wouldn’t have on a single camera series.

Big difference.

2. Carole says:

i sincerely would like to know where you find people that give you heads up and choose their opinions!! I LOVED “almost human” good acting, good writing,good looking actors!! They had it ALL!!

3. James says:

Now people are really gonna wonder if she had other motives for leaving Community than her sick dad.

4. Davin Peterson says:

Yvette left Community so that she could take care of her ailing father. So, why is she going on another TV show?

• Jessie says:

The Odd Couple is multi-cam and has shorter work hours.

• alistaircrane says:

What in the world does Odd Couple being multicam have anything to do with it?

• Jen says:

A single-cam show is filmed with a SINGLE CAMERA, so each take is filmed individually and it takes longer to film. Multi-cam shows are filmed with MULTIPLE CAMERAS so actors don’t have to wait their turn to do their lines. So single-cam shows take much longer to produce so the cast is on set much longer than a multi-cam show. Is that clearer to you now?

• Douglas from Brazil says:

Awesome comment, Jen! I didn’t know the difference between single-cam and multi-cam and the way they are shot.Thanks!

• JEst says:

Unfortunately alistaircrane is never satisfied with anyone’s answers so it probably won’t be clearer at all.

• Josh says:

Alistar Crane is mentally ill, so between eating his/her hair, you can’t expect him/her to make sense

• Fran says:

Yep, unfortunately you’re fighting a losing battle. What you said is common sense, but these people don’t care about that. They just like to complain no matter what.

• David4 says:

So? She still will be working full time. If she had to take care of her day she wouldn’t be working 8+ hours a day.

• Drew says:

Did she ever claim to be the primary caregiver for her father? Actors working on single camera shows might not see family at all during the filming season. It is a very hard schedule, especially for the main characters.
          A multi-camera series will give her more hours each day, so she won’t have to feel like she missed her last chance to spend time with her father. It is a big difference.

• alistaircrane says:

I cannot believe you are defending her! Sick, sick, sick.

• Drew says:

First of all, there is nothing to defend. If she wanted to leave Community we may not like it, but she has every right to leave.
            Second, if a doctor stops working at the ER and goes into private practice because the hours are better for their family, nobody would care. Why should you care here?

• Fran says:

Oh yeah, it’s real sick to defend a person who wants shorter hours and/or a career change. You’re acting like Yvette personally screwed you over. Grow up.

• XtremeCota says:

Damn Drew, that’s some mighty common sense you got there. Watch out though, Allistar Crane is unfamiliar with such a thing and might attack.

5. steven says:

Oh, That’s not nice.

• alistaircrane says:

Agreed. I am definitely not watching The Odd Couple now.

• S. says:

You weren’t gonna watch it before, and you were going to run it down regardless. How does learning Yvette’s reason change your actions in any way? You’re gonna not watch it extra hard now?

• alistaircrane says:

Um, hun, yes I was going to watch it. It’s Matthew Perry. So please don’t presume to know what I would or wouldn’t watch.

• cyn4 says:

She’s working 60 less hours a week by doing a multi camera comedy, therefore giving her extra time to be with her father. She didn’t lie about why she left Community, she isn’t sick sick sick, etc.

• alistaircrane says:

Yes she is, cyn4. She wanted off Community and came up with a great excuse to not look like the bad guy (even though she is). I ain’t buying it and will no longer support her career.

• XtremeCota says:

Oh noes! Allistar Crane, with his/her zero money from the job he/her doesn’t have, probably squating in someone’s basement won’t support her career. What will she do!

6. Ram510 says:

Are we supposed to be shocked? Cause I’m not. I’m just surprised she’s putting all her eggs in this Odd Couple basket, it seems like it’s going to be a flop

7. JDH says:

Well, that escalated quickly…

8. Kyle says:

well, it’s a mid season sitcom on CBS… we all know how that will end…

9. GuessWhat says:

Good for her to jump ship on Community.
    At least TRY to do something that people will actually see.
    And yes, I get that there are about 1000 rabid Community fans that will watch on Yahoo Screen.
    But even AWFUL ratings for Odd Couple will equal more viewers than that.
    Let’s be honest.

10. Ray says:

Clearly Ms. Brown was not feeling Community’s switch to an online only platform.

11. Chris says:

She wants less hours/work from one show, but takes more from another show? With all respect ad prayers to her father, this doesn’t look good on her part.

If she really just wanted to leave Community, in some ways I can’t say I blame her. Look at how much they used Shirley in Season 5. Barely at all.

12. Patrick says:

Not to be that guy, but how much will she be missed? Of all the characters, from day 1, she was the one I missed least. When she had a supporting role, or sort of dropped into the main story for a few throw away lines, she was great. But when the show centered on her, or when she drove the B story, the whole thing ground to a halt. It wasn’t her fault, it was the writing. There just wasn’t a lot to do with her.

13. Josh says:

everyone is questioning her motives now that she has been upgraded to a series regular… but now she has exited community it completely makes sense that CBS put her on as a regular. It doesn’t mean she will be working any more/less on the contract as she was when she was a guest, it just means that CBS now has her secured under a longer contract. For example, James Spader was a ‘regular’ on the office season 8, but i think he only did 2/3 of the eps. more like a guest role, but sometimes its preferable to lock down a cast member for a commitment.

14. analog says:

LOL at the people complaining here. Community should not have been picked up anyway.

15. Jared says:

It was time for Yvette to move on. Plain and simple.

16. JWB says:

One sinking ship to another. At least community had a couple of good seasons. It also had an amazing creator and cast.

Odd Couple doesn’t sound good at all. I really hope it fails because success means they will start remaking classic sitcoms like The Beverly Hillbillies, All in the family and Green Acres. Leave the classics alone!

17. Brendan says:

Well the good news for her father is that both of the leads on this show don’t have the best track record and this show will most likely be only one season. Matthew Perry has never made it past one season on any show since Friends (he was a main cast member of Studio 60, Mr. Sunshine and Go On, all were cancelled after or during their first seasons) while Thomas Lennon has only had guest roles and recurring roles since Reno 911 (and his biggest role on Sean Saves The World ended after the show was cancelled after one season). I actually liked Go On and Sean Saves The World a lot so I was pissed when they got cancelled, but alas I don’t control the networks and I might just skip this show all together. No season getting invested in it…

18. Suzie says:

I think her father’s health probably is declining but I don’t buy that she quit community to take care of him. It sounds to me like she’s using it as an excuse for two reasons. 1, she wanted to leave community but didn’t want to be the bad guy- no one could blame her for leaving to take care of her father. 2, she was already under contract for season six and the only way Dan and Sony were going to let her out of it would have been for a reason like this.
    The way she went about it was shadey but it’s her career and her perogative and she doesn’t owe anyone an explanation. I think the odd couple sounds terrible, but I wish her luck all the same.

19. Joey Padron says:

I’ll miss Yvette on Community. Glad she’ll time to take care of her dad & work. I’ll check out her new show. Been a fan of her’s since Drake & Josh & will always be a fan.

20. It is very important create genuine articles by describing how
    you make use of the products you’re advertising and
    why your readership should need them too.

21. Rosa says:

does anybody know what illness/ailment her dad has? I haven’t actually read any specifics about that..

22. Jeez, some people are so quick to judge. Yvette herself is a massive fan of Community and Dan, so her decision to leave wouldn’t have been taken lightly. I’m so pleased that this work schedule still allows her to care for her Dad. I wish her all the best.

23. Miffy says:

Maybe she just wanted to be part of something that has the potential to be a modest hit, as opposed to some ratings bomb that she’s been stuck on for years.

24. herman1959 says:

I’m late getting into this discussion since I hadn’t planned to comment, but I feel that I have to point out the obvious. Working 15/16 hours on a television set would mean that Yvette would probably leave the house before her father wakes up and she would return after he was in bed. The is means that they would not have time with each other during the week, and that is the unacceptable part. Is that so hard to understand or are some people that selfish?

25. Ann VerWiebe says:

I like all of these people. I really hope this show doesn’t suck.

26. Linda Powis says:

I think Yvette Nicole Brown is a wonderful actress I was happy to see her in a comedy on the Odd Couple. I remember her in ER . I wanted to commend her on losing all that weight she looks devine.