Scandal Recap: The State of the Unions

TONY GOLDWYN

This week on ABC’s Scandal, Olivia and Jake battled over booty calls, Mellie’s private torment went public and Cyrus revealed to us that he apparently never saw Season 1 of The West Wing.

YOU ARE SO BOOTY-FUL… TO MEEEEE
Now that they have been deposited back in D.C., Jake gets himself a room at a hotel a stone’s throw from Liv’s place, so that he is available for “booty calls.” (As he explains it, it can’t always be her “summoning” him.) They argue the issue some — when Jake isn’t looking over the reports on Harrison’s death again and again, finally turning up something, implicating Charlie — until Liv ultimately shows up at Jake’s wearing little more than an undoubtedly super-expensive trench coat and proceeds to illustrate how damn fun it can be to get summoned.

LOVE & WAR
Speaking of: Cyrus “summons” Olivia for the purpose of a job, to find out why a high-profile couple that represents the face of gun control is dragging their feet to the State of the Union address. Visiting the marrieds in New Mexico, Liv discovers that they are almost literally at each other’s throats, each having had it up to here [my hand is under my chin] with their respective sob stories. Liv gets them as far as a D.C. hotel suite (with bickering, almost-“incesting” Huck and Quinn for babysitters), but all that gets her is a corkscrew in the husband’s leg. Olivia finally “fixes” things by promising to “spin” their respective careers after they get a much-needed divorce, and they put in their appearance.

THAT TIME DAVID ROSEN WAS MICHAEL JORDAN
RNC boss Lizzie (and I guess VP Andrew?) are not happy with Fitz’s nomination of Democrat David Rose for AG — and as is, the confirmation hearing is far from a cake walk, with a Senator Watson gunning for bear by dragging out all of David’s dirty laundry. Rosen, though, G-d bless him, fights the good fight, at one point likening his post-Defiance gig as a school teach to Michael Jordan’s flirtation with Major League Baseball. Lizzie then plays  dirtier, somehow digging up David’s fabricated domestic abuse charge, but Rosen busts out a sweet countermeasure: a B613 file to hold over Watson’s head, earning him the surly senator’s endorsement. (Blackmail? Nah. “I like to think of it as winning.”) Lizzie’s not done yet, though — and by episode’s end, we see the next phase of her plan involves sending a “sex worker” to seduce “lonely” Cyrus.

WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN….
When Mellie is caught by the tabloids snacking in her Uggs and robe at Jerry’s grave, Fitz makes the first appeal, that she buckle up if just to show the country watching the State of the Union that she’s OK; no sale. Cyrus then makes a go, bringing up their respective losses of great love; no sale. Ultimately, it’s Abby — someone Mellie barely even knows — who snatches the snacks magazine! from the First Lady’s paws and tells her how it needs to be, noting that there are Americans out there who also have lost children but don’t get months and months away from their jobs to grieve, how she does have a job, as First Lady, how the people who voted for Fitz need to see they made the right call. As the State of the Union rolls around, Fitz reunites with Liv and beseeches her to offer counsel. The result is an ad-libbed SOU bit in which Fitz acknowledges what his family has been through, lauds his “amazingly strong” wife Mellie — who’s sure enough in her seat, the recipient of much applause — and then (sorta clumsily) dovetails it into an argument for gun control. And though Mellie seemed rejuvenated a bit during the aforementioned moment, afterwards she breaks down in the residence, hysterically sobbing, as Fitz rushes to her side to console.

What did you think of this week’s Scandal? Are we feeling Olivia/Jake yet? Does the name Sam Seaborn mean nothing to Cyrus? How many times can Jake look at Harrison’s toe tag?

1. Tran says:

Don’t know who I’m rootin’ for: Team Fitz or Team Jake.

• Absurdist says:

Why not team Mellie?

• Cheyenne says:

I’m almost feeling sorry for Mellie. I still think she’s a power-hungry bitch but there’s this deep sadness inside her. Fitz pities her, he’s very protective of her, but pity isn’t love. Politically they still make a great team, but their marriage is dead, and they both know it.

• Based on the premiere, I was afraid they were going to rush right back to Fitz and Liv but I liked that this episode strengthened Mellie and Fitz’s relationship.

• Kim Tucker says:

I’m not team Mellie because she is guilt mourning! She was awful mother and now its too late. She even admitted it, “I kept my distance from him because I thought he was big Jerry’s. Turns out he was yours all the time”. We’ve all been to funerals where there is one person that appears to be “more” sad than everyone else…NOT! Their guilt ridden for not doing what should have been done while the person was alive. Mellie is mourning what an awful mother she was and a child she never put forth the time to really get to know.

• taim says:

thats ridicolous, its obvious she doesnt love jake, she is using him. He is just the side dude…

• Nathalie says:

Team Fitz for ever. The best actor of the show, and complex character. Tony deserves an emmy. He makes me cry without saying a word…

• I’m rooting for Jake partly because I think Fitz is gonna die by the end of the show and I just like Jake better when he’s with Liv.

2. Tahonia says:

I’m fascinated with the west wing reference..my favorite show… I don’t watch Scandal, but I’m guessing it’s Sam and the hooker storyline with matching pagers?

• P says:

Just the hooker, um, sex worker story line. No fumbling with matching pagers. Although it is out there fairly early that the guy is that.

3. S says:

You forgot the most important thing…that just before Olivia, her wine, and her trench came to visit Jake, he found video footage of B613 Charlie in connection with his research of Harrison’s death.

4. Ian says:

CAN I PAY MATTHEW DEL NEGRO FOR SEX PLEASE?!

• CK says:

Can Cyrus’ storyline this season just consist of him being tempted by a trio of male prostitutes played by all the fathers from Teen Wolf please?

• Ian says:

HAHA! Yes, I think if they got JR Bourne on this show too, playing a sex worker, I’d just combust.

Good Lord, Matthew was looking fine in those black undies. I’d have thrown my life savings at him. Give it to me dirty, baby. It’s truly a testament to how much Cyrus loved James that he could resist (even if he almost had him killed and pimped him out to a rival’s closeted husband for blackmail)

5. Anaiah Richardson says:

Great recap, but wouldn’t say that Jake’s review of the Harrison File was to naught. He caught our old friend Charlie on a video.
    The Jake/Olivia tale of many booty calls is tiresome. Jake ain’t no Fitz, and I raged last week when he claimed to “know” Olivia better bc he was supposedly better in the sack. Beyond ready for Mellie to return to her dragon lady days so Fitz and Liv can sneak off to another closet.

• Cheyenne says:

Fitz can’t be sneaking off to boink Olivia while Mellie is still walking around in a semi-coma; he would look like a complete jerk. Give it time, they’ll get it on soon enough.

• wonderwall says:

So… you want a woman who just lost her son to get over it so that Fitz and Olivia can boink again? This is so wrong on so many levels.

• AnaiahR says:

You got it! Which is more than you got re: the show in general. Mellie never gave a hootenanny about those kids before this. I know the showrunner has tried to redeem her, made the Fitz/Mellie marriage more of a love story (even though we’ve had SEASONS in which it was made plain that it was a political marriage arranged by Big Jerry), blah blah blah, but I draw the line at canonizing her as a grieving mother. Bellamy Young is nailing it, as usual, but Mellie is Mellie.
        I miss Fitz and Olivia together, period. The boinking is extra, but the Jake/Olivia coupling has to stop.

• Andrea says:

I responded to this earlier, but I don’t think it went through. I disagree that Fitz and Mellie was a purely political marriage. I think you’re right that Big Jerry heavily encouraged the union, but I do think Mellie loved Fitz and Fitz came to love Mellie. The rape changed everything. Mellie was raped by her father-in-law, who was a political star in CA. Her husband’s political star was also rising. To say or do anything would have meant enormous political scandal and quite possibly the end of Fitz’s political rise before it got started. On top of that, Mellie finds out she’s pregnant with her first child, who, at the time, could have been the result of a crime AND a political flashpoint all at once. That’s gotta mess with your head on some level, and it probably did affect how Mellie was able to interact with children period, not just Jerry.

You’re right, Mellie is Mellie, but I think that process started as a result of the rape. It changed her view on Fitz, on children, and things built upon one another until we got to where we are. It wasn’t just the crime itself, It was who did it, who that person was related to, when it happened, and what actions it influenced years down the line.

If this gets “eaten” by technology again, I give up.

6. Mika02 says:

My issue is that Jake fully well has know admitted know and not caring that Liv is in love with Fitz. Like it didn’t matter on Paridise island why does it matte in the real world

7. Andrea says:

And yet again next summer, Bellamy Young will probably STILL not be nominated for an Emmy. I think she’s terrific as Mellie. The scene where Fitz tells the Secret Service guy to get out and Mellie is sobbing in Fitz’s arms definitely got to me.

• Mary says:

I agree 100%. How can nobody see how great an actress she is. In the beginning with the chicken it was almost comical and then she had me in tears after the speech. I have grown to love Mellie.

• N says:

Bellamy Young is an incredible actress!

• RReg says:

I still don’t see this incredible acting that you speak of. Fitz is the one that is an incredible actor IMO. Mellie is a very two dimensional character. Anybody can do the same. Fitz’ is more nuanced, he delivers his looks and lines with more finesse. Just a look from him speaks 1,000 words.

• Kat Aston says:

Thanks Reg. Please let’s not repeat the same mistake from last year with some of BY fans predicting she would win the Emmy and then the Emmy folks didn’t even nominate her. Bellamy Young has been on a boat load of shows for the past twenty years, and she’s never been nominated for an Emmy. She’s always played a supporting actress as far as I know and I’ve never seen her lead a show. The Scandal writers have had this character condone her husband’s affair, raped by father-in-law, and now the death of a child. Interesting and sympathetic storylines, but the Emmy folks may not think so, they’ve seen it all. One thing that I’m noticing, especially with this new season is that the same type of leading actresses that television has been portraying for the last fifty years, is no longer the norm or that interesting. I mean Madam Secretary, The Mysteries of Laura, and Bad Judge so far are not garnering great ratings. If this was 25 years ago it would be different. TV execs and fans want something different and exciting. So please let’s hold off until the actual announcements which are almost a year a way before predicting an Emmy win, because all of the early predicting don’t mean anything to the Emmy judges.

• Nathalie says:

Why everybody forgets about the marvelous, awesome actor Tony G? He deserves an emmy rigth now !

8. Absurdist says:

Here’s what I think:
    Never in my life did I imagine that the show with the least sex on any given night would be Gray’s Anatomy. Gay sex, interracial sex…

If somebody had been watching Animal Planet, we’d have had some kind of trifecta between Scandal and How to Get Away With Murder.

• Overthinking says:

Agreed. I know it is prime time but when there are more than two sex scenes in any given epi. it kind of takes away the seriousness of the show for me. How to get away with murder did that for me last night and given it is a new show and I am still in the deciding stage. I am giving it one more epi before dropping it. Too bad because it has refreshing actors/actresses. Now we know why they moved Scandal an hour early and have HTGAWM at 10pm.

• RReg says:

Hmmmm, would you have made this post if we had seen straight white on white sex?

• Kat Aston says:

News flash, people of different races have been having sex for hundreds of years. There’s nothing out of the ordinary about that storyline. Hollywood is way behind the real world. They have chosen not portray interracial couples on t.v. because of the bigotry and racism that they receive from some fans. I mean all these biracial people in America and throughout the world didn’t create themselves.

• Overthinking says:

I gotta admit when I read and replied to @Absurdist initially, I thought s/he was referring to the number of sex scenes as opposed to the type of sex. Sheesh that gotta teach me not to reply to comments before my coffee kicks in!!!

9. JJ says:

I’m sorry, but I can’t help but be frustrated with the lack of love Tony Goldwyn gets. Whether or not you’re on Team Fitz or Team Jake you should be able to concede that Tony Goldwyn is incredibly talented. He was absolutely extraordinary in this episode and yet the focus is still on Bellamy Young, Jeff Perry, etc. and even though they were undoubtedly great, Tony really stole this episode. So why the heck is he consistently overlooked? He owned this episode with that speech and he’s constantly conveying more with a look than most actors can with a monologue. Tony Goldwyn deserves way more recognition than he’s getting.

• Kikelomo Anunobi says:

I agree completely. One expression from Goldwyn tells a thousand stories! He does not need to speak for us to know exactly what he’s feeling!

• Nathalie says:

Kikelomo Anunobi says:
        October 3, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Thank you. Im not alone. I love you Tony/fitz

• mindofawomanseeking says:

I agree totally. Tony is often overlooked but brings it every single time. Sure Mellie is grieving but she is grieving for the lack of love she showed her son. she is also grieving because she chose power over love and family and now she realizes she chose wrong and she will never be able to bring back her son. Every decision she made from remaining quiet about the rape has brought her to the place she is right now.

• Mara says:

So true!!!! Tony is amazingly talented.

• Belle says:

And incredible sexy. His voice alone and his swagger walk. Yes , I still think about closet gate episode Whiskey a Tango. :-D

• herman1959 says:

Ditto. Tony G. was everything in this episode, almost as good as in the “I just wanted you to see the dream” scene.

• RReg says:

Agreed. Tony should be the one nominated. His performances have been nuanced and consistently quite good for 4 seasons now.

• AnaiahR says:

LOVE YOUR COMMENT

• Kat Aston says:

Great post, easy answer, his character is deeply in love with Olivia Pope. One of his true feelings that he’s portrayed and never waviered. In all of Tony Goldwyn’s interviews he stays true to character. Stating he believes Fitz and Olivia should be together, which for some reason some fans and people in the media can’t seem to wrap their heads around this narrative.

• jJenner 1287 says:

Jj i agree with you 100%. Tony is indeed a talented actor but the way scandal is now written he will always be the cheater who didnt save his wife from his rapist father. Both he and olivia never gets lines to laugh have fun or just be in love. Until they write the rekindling of the grants marriage and tony is forced into loving his millie again the idiot mellie fans wont forgive him. If i was tony i would walk away from the programme now before they completely ruin him. I would like to see how the show goes when he is not there to prop them up and let everyone look good!

• RReg says:

IJenner,
        I like what you said, very astute. I have been wondering how actors read the scripts from season to season while knowing what they are reading is incredible stupid. I guess that’s why Tony is so good at his job. I would think it would start to wear on him though.

Shonda seems to have forgotten what made Scandal so popular. She will never remember until fans remind her.

• jJenner 1287 says:

RRegs we will definitely have to start doing that by making it known where ever its likely she may see it or its repeated. If they continue to reinforce jake and olivia any longer therea lot of silly fans that cant see past a pretty face to follow a good plot/story! I know they will never get me on that train it will then definitely become the mellie and jake show like shonda amazingly wants – who would of thought it!!

• RReg says:

Jjenner,
            Once it becomes the Jake and Mellie show – I’ll be out of there. That will never be a show I would waste 5 minutes on.

10. tpow says:

Cyrus really must not watch The West wing – the sex worker was also an aide to President Santos.

11. LemonLime says:

And the Emmy goes to…Bellamy Young.

12. Lynnacworth says:

I

13. Lynnacworth says:

I am going with absurdist on this go team Mellie. This Jake stage with Olivia doesn’t ring true for me and if Fitz is the love of her life the Jake thing puts her on par with a trashy once a week prostitute. This series is so very close to jumping the shark that it’s becoming the only reason to watch. Just when will the water skis lift off and drag the entire cast along

14. Robert says:

It was a good episode, I found myself admiring Abby for saying a brutal truth, that the Fiirst Lady and many others like her need to hear,who are financially blessed when they faced the lost of a love one due to a horrible tragedy. I know Cyrus is in a fragile place of mind and spirit but I find it hard to believe he is not suspicious of anyone trying to get thru his defences, especially with the RNC breathing down his neck.

• Overthinking says:

I here you. I saw that storyline with Cyrus coming from a mile away. To add to your point this is a tactic that Cyrus would totally use to get what he wants (he did it to James with Sally’s husband) so I am really surprised even though he is lonely that he fell for the RNC Lizzy bear trap.

15. Cheyenne says:

Why did Jake rent a hotel room? He had a really great apartment. Did he give it up? Dumb move.
    Yay to David for playing dirty pool and blackmailing that senator. Guy’s finally learning.

• ChicagoDan says:

It’s a weird inconsistency. So Liv, who supposedly left DC for good, kept her place, complete with boxes, furniture and utilities (remember her watching cable and getting a landline call a few hours after returning to DC), but Jake dumps his awesome pad is in some middle of the road hotel….

• herman1959 says:

Maybe B613 was paying for the apartment as part of his cover; that’s over now.

16. stephanie says:

Who is the guy who played Michael tonight Seen him but can’t place his name

17. Coal says:

Lol, it was a fun episode until midway through when everyone started catching feelings. On another point, is Scandal over compensating with a lot of sex trying to create a cable feel without nudity ? P.S. I don’t even know why Jake is bothering investigating the Adnan/Harrison deaths. All the characters should just embrace their amoral status and move on, Rosen has.

• Cheyenne says:

Because when he tells Fitz that Papa Pope lied and it was he, not Mama Pope, who killed Fitz’s son, all hell is going to break loose.

• herman1959 says:

Exactly, it is now obvious that this is the only reason Jake is still around.

• RReg says:

OK I can live with Jake only being around for this. Hope there is a big shoot em up and he dies in the shoot out. He and Papa Pope should blow each other away.

• Overthinking says:

I bet Charlie is the one who dumped Harrison’s body in the desert. Wonder why he left the body to be found when we know b613 are a drill happy group. Just drill away and leave no evidence i.e. body.

18. kritikA says:

The part of how fitz asked for the room to be alone with Olivia to ask her for her feedback on the speech

And it was because of her he didn’t say the speech from the TelePrompTer

And fitz told Olivia that’s the least she owes him !!!

19. greysfan says:

What an awesome episode all round from the cast and Bellamy was fantastic tonight. That last scene with her and Fitz was heartbreaking. This show just keeps getting better and better.

20. Kat Aston says:

I will always watch Scandal for Shonda and Kerry, but this episode was boring. We’ve had two shows of Mellie grieving for a son that was only on the show for 40 minutes. Fitz and Mellie’s marriage is boring, I can’t get into them because they have been horrible to each other since season 1. The only scene that had any excitement or anticipation was between Liv and Fitz, just to see how they would react with each other. If the writers are trying to undo Olitz, it’s not working. I like Jake, but we all know he’s no real competition for Fitz. If by the time the Blaklist airs on Thursdays, we are still watching a Liv and Jake/Fitz and Mellie centric show, Scandal’s ratings might suffer. We don’have to have Liv and Fitz beIng romantic, but watching them work together is one of the good dynamics of this show. Hopefully that’s where the writers are taking us.

• RReg says:

Preach. I fast forwarded through most of the episode. By my estimation, by the time Blacklist moves to its new Thursday time slot, Liv and Fitz will be on the verge of breaking up once again. That’s the way Scandal has run. The female lead on Blacklist couldn’t act her way out of a wet paper bag, but I watch the show for Reddington. Spader is just brilliant in this role.

• AnaiahR says:

Absolutely. I want them Fitz and Olivia together as well. Their chemistry is off the hook but the sex scenes aren’t the only reason they are so compelling to watch.

21. A till says:

Please call BS on Scandals violence against women posturing!!! Especially when it has the lead character giving booty calls to the person that choked her and held a gun on her coworkers last season. (Not to mention the concussion that resulted when she tried to get away from him the first go around. )

22. Ange says:

Please no more Cyrus nude scenes. It hurts my eyes. :)

23. Overthinking says:

I found myself my clenching teeth and ready to burf because I thought they were going to have a make out scene with Randy and Superfreak. I don’t care how regular they make a love scene between Huck and Quinn look. Those two together is just plain gross, gross, gross!!! Hopefully there will none of that ever again!!!

24. RReg says:

To the reviewer Matt Web,
    Abby grabbed a magazine from Mellie, not snacks.

25. herman1959 says:

Once again, Cyrus had the best smart comebacks, but he was dumb for taking the barbait. Evidently he hadn’t seen that episode of The West Wing, but I have – 3 times (syndication is a beautiful thing). Let’s hope he can turn it and use it to his advantage; I think so.

26. Blake says:

The West Wing and Scandal don’t belong in the same sentence, one was groundbreaking story telling with enthralling plots and exceptional characters while the other is a guilty pleasure show revolving around when Fitz and Olivia are going to make out again.

• herman1959 says:

FYI, Shonda Rhimes is on record saying that she has seen every episode of The West Wing, thus the reference. She’s recycled many ideas from The West Wing, for example, “walk and talk” and the extensive use of the flashback to tell back stories.

27. ttb says:

The only problem I had with the episode is the pretty green trees I the background of the White House shots. The State of the Union takes place in the dead of winter. No pretty green trees in sight for that time of year.

28. ChicagoDan says:

What’s with making Fitz a liberal? Losing his son to a terrorist is not the same as gun control. Sad to push this agenda in this manner – if he’d been shot, it would be believable. Mellie – Bellamy is doing a masterful job – in fact she’s the most interesting one on show now – but they’re really close to OTT (the fried chicken, really?) Cyrus and his hired stud – no thanks. (And if Cyrus is dumb enough to believe someone didn’t hire him to set him up… well, then that’s not really Cyrus.)

• Dani says:

Bellamy Young is just so awesome on this show. And I agree with the poster above that Tony Goldwyn is awfully underrated. Overall the show was pretty blah and for the life of me, I cannot get into the Jake & Olivia storyline. They are just so forced. And the way the writers are writing this particular storyline, I don’t get how it helps the Olivia character with the viewers. Didn’t we see this same storyline with Edison?

• RReg says:

No one can get into the Jake/Liv storyline except Shonda. Where is a NY Times reviewer when you want one? Does anyone have the contact details for that reviewer who wrote the article that had the Angry Black Women description in it? Perhaps we could get her to do another review…

• Sheila says:

I like Jake and Olivia. To each his own.

• Cheyenne says:

Maybe you forgot that Fitz was shot in the head and one of his staff was killed in the second season?

29. Bellamy Young’s performance last night was brilliant. The way she was able to convey her grief with little to no words left me with chills.

30. jimferris624 says:

The State of the Union takes place in January. January in DC is cold, snowy, and the trees are free of leaves. This episode had the State of the Union taking place during a time of the year that was sunny, warm (no coats being worn), and full, lush trees, shrubbery, and flowers. I’m sure they’d love it in DC if that were the case. I’m willing to bet they didn’t think anyone would notice.

31. Blake says:

Olitz fans are nutcases, compliment anyone or anything else for that matter other than Washington and Goldwyn and they act like you just ran over their puppy.

• jJenner 1287 says:

Blake there is no longer any Olitzs its now just mellie and jake! Now the show has standing writers dont need them anymore. You can be happy you will have your fitzs and mellie and your jake and olivia in love real soon – lets hope you still find the show exciting when u have nothing to complain about!!

32. Erica says:

two things:

Did anyone notice that Quinn is dressing like Huck?

And is Andrew trying to get rid of Fitz, does he want the presidency and Mellie?

• Overthinking says:

Yes I did notice about Quinn/Huck. Bravo to writers as the focus/title of the epi was ‘state of the union’ and their dressing alike ties nicely as the union/relationship of these two was one of the many relationships/unions addressed in this episode. Love it when Abby ousted them to Olivia and told her it was ‘incest’.

33. N says:

Not that it really matters to the story line, but what happened to Cyrus and James’ son? Cyrus hasn’t mentioned him at all.

34. Pati says:

I love love Scandal and I love Olivia and Fitz, I love their scenes together but I like it better when they go awhile without seeing each other. I was kinda disappointed that they already saw each other in the premiere and on the second episode. I feel like she is not as strong minded as she used to be. Jake is the better option but they have no chemistry and Scott Foley grosses me out for some reason he looks kinda sickly imo.

• RReg says:

How could Jake be the better option? Because he is unmarried or is it because he has abused her? Perhaps she is one of those women who doesn’t believe she is loved unless a man is abusing her.

• Dani says:

Glad to see that i’m not the only one that thinks Scott Foley looks pretty gaunt. It’s baffling to me when I see some going on about his abs.

35. Bob Arene says:

Never knew just how powerful Shonda Rhimes was until this episode showed she can apparently move the State of the Union address to summertime! Love how the trees and flowers were all in full bloom and people shown walking around in shirtsleeves in the parks, supposedly in Washington DC in January!

• RReg says:

LOL- it must have been one of those Indian Summer things. Or else it’s just another hole that’s found in Scandal.

36. Lauren says:

I have never cried a single tear during Scandal and for the first time during last week’s episode I did!! Mellie breaking down broke my heart! Those were the true tears of a mother and woman in complete pain!

• Anon432 says:

I don’t know what show you guys are watching but this over the top extra grieving by Mellie is bullsh*t. It’s more guilt than missing her son. She didn’t want him and she didn’t even want kids. It comes off as her being a drama queen with her grief being more important than anyone else’s grief.

Mellie does not like kids and said so in s2 e13 specifically and other episodes. The kids (Karen and Teddy) she was certain came from Fitz are treated the same way she treated Jerry – out of sight, out of mind. So this over the top grieving is very bizarre. I guess Shonda thinks all the viewers are supposed to forgot Mellie’s comments and actions from previous seasons.

Hell she has even forgotten about Karen and Teddy while drinking and grieving. I nominate her for ‘Mother of the Year’.
      Mellie is the most self-centered, selfish person on Scandal which is a feat with all the other characters competing for the honor. I wish Abby had blasted her more harshly. If Mellie does not want the job of First Lady, then leave and get a divorce but stop the constant whining.

My problem with Scandal over the last two seasons is the writing has everyone acting out of character. OPA would be investigating Harrison’s death not Jake. BTW when did technology challenged idiot Jake become a computer hacker? Jake did not even know how to print a document a couple months ago in Scandal time. Obviously Jake has no purpose for being on the show except as Olivia’s sex toy so Shonda has to force him into the story line in an unbelievable way. Why would Rowan leave Jake alive after Jake tried to kill him (S3 E9) and threatened his life when he was temporarily command? Rowan would have gotten his revenge. The entire Jake story line is silly with his obnoxious big talking to Olivia and David.

Also Cyrus would never put himself in such a comprising position. They have had Cyrus and Olivia acting like idiots sometimes over the last two seasons and not the brilliant political operatives they were previously. We see flashes of their brilliance but it is not consistent.

I’m loving Abby this season and David has finally seen the light if he wants to succeed in Washington.

Please no more Quinn and Huck or Jake and Olivia who have zero sexual chemistry and it comes off as forced (or as The Huffington Post said they have as much chemistry as two J Crew mannequins). Let OPA staff focus on work for now.