Post Mortems

Post Mortem: Reign EP Explains Killer Premiere — Plus: More Season 2 Scoop

reign-season-premiere

New suitors, new spectres and new struggles helped Thursday’s Reign kick off what executive producer Laurie McCarthy calls “the season of dudes and ghosts.”

RELATED Reign Season 2: Toby Regbo on Francis’ Baby Skills, Lola’s Threat and More

First, a brief recap: Mary and Nostradamus tricked Catherine into thinking she has the plague to prevent her from killing an innocent man; Narcisse, the man who requested the murder, ended up killing Leith’s girlfriend Yvette by mistake; Francis met his distant cousin Conde, before deciding to bring Lola and their son with him back to Court; and Pascal, the boy Kenna and Bash had been caring for, died of the plague. Rough stuff.

Below, McCarthy and star Adelaide Kane discuss tonight’s biggest twists and preview what’s to come as Season 2 marches on:

BABY BLUES | Don’t be fooled by the cuteness of Francis and Lola’s baby; that thing is trouble. “As the season progresses, having the child around becomes more of an unspoken pressure for Mary as she fails to conceive,” Kane says. “It’s a glaring reminder of her failing in what is essentially her only duty as a queen, which is to bear sons and continue the succession. The longer that takes, the more heavily it’s going to weigh on her and become a divisive factor in her relationship with Francis. … If they ever stop sharing a bed, there’s trouble on the horizon.”

Reign SpoilersMO KASH, MO ‘PROBLEMS’ | Expect big things — but not always good things — from Bash in Season 2. “He will eventually become the King’s Deputy, the strongman for the king, which is a great position if the king is doing really well,” McCarthy explains. “But if the king is making mistakes and you’re the muscle for those mistakes, it can be really dangerous.” As for what’ll happen between Bash and Kenna, McCarthy says the same qualities we love about Kenna — she’s “lovely, charming, warm [and] incredibly ambitious” — will also “cause some problems” for them down the line.

GHOST WORLD | Speaking of Bash, are you wondering why he was the one to see that ghost in the premiere? McCarthy chalks it up to his exhaustion and the fact that his paganism leaves him more open to suggestion. That said, the ghost’s warning is not to be taken lightly. “The land is unstable, and people who have gotten away with murder might not get away with it for so long,” she says. (Heads up, Francis and Catherine!)

HEY DUDES | The premiere’s two newcomers, Conde and Narcisse, will find themselves heavily involved in the Catholic-Protestant tension this season — but that’s not all! “You’ll see some surprising pairings this season,” McCarthy says in regards to the new additions. “Conde really doesn’t have a problem being with married women … and Narcisse has a surprising sexuality to him. … Catherine’s going to have a lover, too.” (Hmm…)

SCARY MARY | Apparently tricking Catherine into thinking she has the plague was just the beginning of Mary’s evolution into, essentially, Catherine 2.0. “It’s nice to see her flip it on Catherine for once,” Kane says. “That was a very Catherine thing to do, and I like that Mary starts taking on more of those manipulative Catherine-esque elements; almost without realizing it, she’s becoming more and more like Catherine.” (Now that‘s scary!)

WEDDING BELLS | Two ladies in waiting — Lola and Greer — remain unmarried, and although McCarthy won’t reveal who will be heading down the aisle, she promises we “will see a wedding this season.” (Any guesses?)

Reign Season 2

A CLOSE SHAVE | Nostradamus’ beard was, of course, the premiere’s most shocking casualty, and while it wasn’t directly addressed in the episode, McCarthy says she originally planned to give it a proper send-off. “We had a line in there, and we took it out, where he had wisely made himself clean shaven to show everybody, ‘I don’t have the plague. … No sores here!'” she explains. Apparently, the actor (Rossif Sutherland) had to ditch his face fur for another role.

DEADLY TRIANGLE | With Yvette now out of the way (RIP!), Leith has found himself a free man — but don’t expect Greer to break off her engagement to Lord Castleroy anytime soon. No matter how much she loves him, “the fear of being a ruined woman has ramifications,” McCarthy explains. And that fear is “going to loom large for her for some time.”

Your thoughts on what’s to come, Reign fans? Grade the season premiere below, browse Season 2 photos, then drop a comment with your full review.

With reporting by Vlada Gelman

1. S says:

Rossif Autherland was in The Covert Affairs mid season finale and was clean shaven. Am I the only person who is NOT a Kenna fan? Seriously I just don’t get the appeal of this character, and definitely not with Badh. Catherine owns this show, her one liners make it for me.

• Daniel Armour says:

No. There’s quite a few people that don’t like her. I’m not one of those people but I do know they exist. Anyway, I liked this season premiere but didn’t love it. I always dislike when elements are introduced at the end of one season only to be abandoned at the start of the next, so killing off the little boy and what would’ve been Greer’s stepdaughter didn’t sit well with me. Also, and this probably has more to do with budget issues but I have to mention it, the whole threat of the plague felt too small. Again, I definitely liked the season premiere but I wasn’t blown away.

• James says:

And then there’s the thing with Mary’s uncle. I thought they were staying? That angle seem to have dropped very quickly.

But I’m not complaining. I love the premiere! :D

2. Ian says:

I still have some love for this show, but I didn’t care for this premiere or any of the story developments. Right now, Id say the only thing interesting me is the Greer/Leith/Castleroy triangle. I was pissed with Leith for moving on so fast, but then they killed off the girl before they’d even so much as kissed, so I’m not off-put anymore. Not like with Mary and Francis, which I couldn’t care less about. Such an unfair situation for Mary. They should have at least let her sleep with Bash, but then they tossed him to Kenna, who I don’t like either.
    I’ll give it a few more episodes, but shows can definitely turn off their once biggest fans, like Glee and TVD and now Mistresses have, and Reign’s in real danger of losing me.

3. Carla Krae says:

The story problem I have is with the implication that Mary is infertile. The historical Mary had multiple pregnancies after Francis died. Matter of fact, it’s said he was most likely infertile as part of his overall sickly health from birth. Underdeveloped testicles. Women still deal with stigma about fertility today, so to put Mary through this….it’s hard to watch.

• James says:

Not too long ago, Mary’s issues with bearing child also happened to the Empress of Japan. Took her quite a while after she married Emperor Akihito and the imperial court’s pressure just about broke her down to pieces. Eventually she did have kids, the eldest was a girl (which caused nationwide panic for a while, because well…she was a girl) and the youngest was a boy (which ended the panic).

• Abby says:

Nope, Masako never had a son. She had Aiko then a breakdown because she could not have another child. Her husband stood by her, but Hisahito, the heir, was born to the next emperor’s younger brother and his wife, fourteen years after welcoming their last daughter. There is some speculation that Akihito, the next emperor, will want to change the laws of male primogeniture in Japan when he rules, but with Hisahito being available, so to speak, its unlikely that Aiko will ever be the empress.

• Ian says:

So historically, Mary wasn’t the problem, but they’re making HER one for ‘drama’? Lovely.

• Nicole says:

That’s not really true. She did have issues getting pregnant and staying pregnant. Yes Francis was infertile but she had issues too.

• Deidre says:

How was Francis infertile if Lola had his baby or does the series adapt for made up for the tv show, just started watching the show and so far enjoying it, tho history cannot be strayed from too much in things it’s a pity that this queen had so much to contend with,a sad sorry life for being royal just a pawn in the game of control

4. Kate says:

The premiere was awesome! Bash and Kenna are my favorite couple, and Mary and Francis are awesome, too. I love this show. It deals with politics and social game-playing in a different way from anything else I’ve ever seen. And I love its female characters.

The only thing I didn’t like was Yvette being killed off to serve Greer and Leith’s storylines, which was uncharacteristically crass for this show.

5. gigi says:

Love the cw but getting to predictable, our fan club is wide from county to count via internet
    And text. DO NOT separate Mary n Francis again’ u are ruining the show’ they are like Bella n Edward. Get rid of Lola’s baby n let Mary have children, if u continue to separate Mary n Francis you’ll loose to many followers guaranteed. We luv CW but they ruin there own shows. We love mary n Francis’ and for god sakes don’t throw Mary in bed with conde, the world doesn’t need whores in every show