Yvette Nicole Brown Exits Community

Yvette Nicole Brown The Odd Couple

The Greendale Gang is down another member.

Yvette Nicole Brown will not be a part of Community‘s upcoming sixth season on Yahoo Screen, TVLine has confirmed. The actress asked to be released from her contract, and Sony granted her request.

“My dad needs daily care and he needs me,” Brown told TVGuide.com. “The idea of being away 16 hours a day for five months, I couldn’t do it. It was a difficult decision for me to make, but I had to choose my dad.”

VIDEO Community Boss Wants Donald Glover Back for Season 6

In a statement, Community EPs Dan Harmon and Chris McKenna called Brown — and her character Shirley — “irreplaceable,” adding, “We are sad to see her go and wish her the very best.”

Brown recently joined CBS’ The Odd Couple, a multi-cam sitcom that Brown calls “a better fit for the life I have now.”

It’s unclear how Brown’s absence will be explained when the former NBC comedy transitions to Yahoo, but the actress has made it clear that she’s open to returning as a guest star. And, as she noted to TVGuide.com, “I’m glad it won’t be hard for them to explain where [Shirley] is. She has three kids, a degree and a business.”

Brown’s departure comes a year after Community lost fellow original castmember Donald Glover.

1. jeremy says:

sad that she’ll be gone, but family comes first for sure. wishing her all the best with her dad :)

2. Matt says:

Who else isn’t returning? Headline says “another member”

3. Drew says:

Couldn’t they at least do Skype chats with Shirley or something?
    This sucks. Three down. It’s like there is a serial killer at Greendale or something.

4. Erin says:

@Matt
    Donald Glover isn’t returning, either.

5. androme3 says:

I’m glad she’ll be able to take care of her father for the time being. I wish her the best of luck in the future, along with Odd Couple. I will miss her on Community though.

6. Angela says:

Awwwwwwwww, that’s a shame. Totally understandable reason as to why, of course-I sympathize greatly with her and wish her and her family well.
    Still, sad news all around. She’ll definitely be missed. Now I’m curious as to how they’ll make things work with the remaining four original cast members.

7. Babybop says:

Wow, okay. She has a good reason. Family comes first. But she will be missed.

8. I am sorry that Yvette Nicole Brown won’t be part of the show Community. I can’t wait to see how the writer will explain why she isn’t there anymore. Good luck to her future role.

9. alistaircrane says:

Gillian Jacobs will be leaving after Season 6. She will star in a new Judd Apatow show for Netflix.

10. Diz says:

No reason to have the show if they all don’t make an appearance.

11. good for her!!! seriously family is everything

12. Dizzle says:

Ugh, so conflicted because she is so great and Shirley is hilarious when she gets a storyline, but her reason for leaving is unimpeachable! At least theres a reason to now look forward to The Odd Couple :)

13. S says:

I wish her all the best but this is really sad for the show.

14. J says:

Life, man. I’ll miss Shirley, of course, but if you’re gonna leave a show, that’s why you do it. Best wishes to her and her family.

15. Ron says:

I’m totally sympathetic to her reason for leaving. That’s a very unfortunate situation for her to be in, and I think we all wouldn’t expect her to do any differently. That said, this one really hurts. I was able to deal with Pierce’s exit. Troy’s exit really stung, because I loved his character and his relationship with Abed. But I somehow sucked it up because we still had a good amount of the group and some amazing supporting characters whom I love. But with this exit, it’s just too much. You can pretty easily weather one cast member’s exit. A second one is gonna make the show feel not quite the same, but you can work around it somewhat. A third exit? And, more specifically, a third exit of a main cast member? That’s just a massacre. I’m definitely watching season 6–no question. But it’s most definitely time to wrap the show up after season 6. I’m still all for that movie in the future, though! ;)

16. Tran says:

This is going from bad to worse for Community fans. Let’s hope Season Six is going to be its last. #sixseasonsandamovie

17. Et al says:

It’s sad but understandable. Family comes first. It’s not like she’s quitting to make a really bad rap album.

18. David4 says:

End the show.

However if she is still on the CBS show doesn’t that say something about her statement?

19. Yossarian says:

The study group has lost a lot of it’s diversity

20. CJ says:

That is a shame, but is certainly understandable. I will miss her on Community but I am looking forward to The Odd Couple. I wish her and her family the best. Always nice to see someone put their loved ones first.

21. James says:

Why is TVLine constantly asking for my location? What does where I am have to do with TV news?

22. Joey Padron says:

Sad she won’t be in season 6. Hope her dad feels better soon. Bummed Study group will be much small now with Jeff, Annie, Britta, Abed, & Chang.

23. Jared says:

Community will definitely not be the same show when it debuts on Yahoo Screen. I love the show but honestly think its time to end.

24. Zenobia Jackson says:

Sad to hear this but, in all of Yvette’s appearances and interviews, she comes across as a kind, caring, nice and genuine person. While I feel for her…this is an admirable and courageous choice and I hope all works out well for her personally and professionally.

25. Stanislava says:

So sad to hear that…I hope her dad gets better.

26. side3 says:

Troy, Pierce, and now Shirley. I have loved “Community”, but it’s time to call it a day.

27. mark says: