Exclusive

ABC's black-ish Casts Jenifer Lewis as Anthony Anderson's Mother

black-ish-cast-jenifer-lewis-anthony-anderson-mother

You can’t spell “smother” without “mother” — a lesson that will be abundantly clear now that Jenifer Lewis (Meet the Browns, Strong Medicine) has boarded black-ish in the recurring role of Dre’s (Anthony Anderson) overbearing mom.

Lewis’ character Ruby is described as follows: “She smothers pork chops with gravy, Dre with love, and would like to flat out smother [Dre’s wife] Rainbow (Tracee Ellis Ross), who feels the same way about her.”

RELATED black-ish Premiere: Did You Fall for ABC’s Newest Modern Family?

Lewis will make her first appearance later this season, according to the network.

RELATED Mistresses Renewed for Season 3

In its series premiere last Wednesday, black-ish drew 11 million total viewers and a 3.3 rating, demonstrating 96 and 85 percent retention out of Modern Family. For comparison’s sake, Super Fun Night (which led out of Modern Family‘s season premiere in fall 2013) only managed 75 percent retention.

Excited about Lewis’ joining black-ish? Sound off in the comments!

1. KCC says:

Great casting! I can’t wait to see her act off Anthony Anderson and Laurence Fishburne!

2. Infinite says:

Love it! Can’t wait.

3. Candice says:

OMG Perfect

4. Lorie says:

Excellent choice!

5. Jay says:

I will never watch this show. If ABC had a show called White-ish, they would be attacked for racism. But a show called Black-ish is ok. I prefer to watch Modern Family instead of a cheap black ripoff.

6. Eric says:

That’s good casting! Strange though how Anthony’s on-screen mom and dad are only 9 and 13 years older than him, respectively.

7. BlueBelle says:

Are you sure that is a photo of Jenifer Lewis because it looks NOTHING like her. Anyhoo, great casting!! Jenifer was the only good thing in that god awful movie Baggage Claim. Jenifer is FIERCE!! I wanted her cast as Olivia Pope’s mother on Scandal. Anyone who was Harlette back in the day will always be good in my book.

8. Delante says:

Wow she is perfect!

9. Brenda J. Robinson says:

Jennifer Lewis is,great in everything she does! If she and the snarky dad, Laurence Fishburne get into it, they may steal the show!

10. Jo Bryant says:

Yesss!!! I love me some Jenifer! She depicts every aunt, sister, mother and grand mother in our communities! She’s funny, keeps it real and can tell it like it T.I.S.!! She will add just the right spice to a show I’ve already grown to love.

11. JD says:

THANK GOD! The show needed some funny and no doubt Miss Lewis will bring it! Brava!

12. JD says:

The show badly needed some major funny and “The Diva” will bring it! CAN’T WAIT FOR HER TO SHOW UP AND SHOW OUT!

13. comfort sackey says:

I wanted to find out who would play his mother when I saw the description of the upcoming episode. I bursted out in laughter when I read it would be Jennifer Lewis! Just imagining Ms. Lewis as the mother and being very familiar with her work I knew it was great casting and we are in for lots of laughs!!!

14. emerson says:

the show will be a hit with her on there great casting!!

15. Debbie J says:

Ms. Jenifer Lewis is doing a fantabulous job of playing the mother of ‘Dre’ on Black-ish, she is an excellent actor/actress in whatever part she has to portrait, as well as all the adult actors, in this sitcom, now the younger actors have excellent role models,Peter Mackenzie, Deon Cole, Raven-Symoné, Jeff Meacham, Laurence Fishburne, Tracy Ellis Ross & Anthony Anderson.

16. Gail says:

Dear ABC: Ms. Jennifer Lewis is incredible!! I DVR “Different World” just to watch her. She is amazing, I can’t stop laughing & smiling while watching Black-ish. I truly appreciate her gift. Bucket list: Meet Ms. Jennifer one day.

17. deborah brumett says:

Best show in the whole world… Im ruby…. seriously im ruby in real life, blows me away.