Revenge Season 4 Premiere Recap: 'Long Live the New Queen'

Season 4, Episode 1

If you’d never seen Revenge before, Sunday’s season premiere was a pretty good time to join the party — and not just because every character literally recapped (out loud) what they’ve been up to for the past three years.

RELATED Fall TV Spectacular: Exclusive Scoop and Photos on 42 Returning Favorites, Including Revenge

The ABC sudser has essentially hit the reset button on itself: Former Hamptons queen Victoria is now powerless, Daniel’s selling everything but his pretty face, Jack’s sporting a spiffy new cop uniform and Emily is living large at Grayson Manor (new name TBD) with nary a Sharpie in sight. In fact, the only Hamptonite who even remotely resembles his pre-Season 4 self is Nolan, who remains every bit the color-coordinated, zinger-slinging party boy we’ve known and loved.

Now, let’s talk about this week’s big twists…

VICTORY, VICTORIA! | After her first escape mission proved to be an utter failure (thanks for nothing, Lisa Simpson!), Victoria made a new ally, one that came equipped with a getaway car… of sorts. With the sprinkler system serving as a distraction — and also giving her a gorgeous, glistening glow — Miz Grayson strutted her way out of the looney bin and headed straight for Chez Thorne. Her visit was brief: She awkwardly noted that she hadn’t been invited to Emily’s party (such a Maleficent move) before uttering a few veiled threats and sauntering off into the night… only to be accosted by a certain presumed-dead lover. Yes, folks, David Clarke is back! Again!

DADDY’S HOME! | Speaking of David, if you were hoping the season premiere would bring about the Clarke family reunion we’ve all been waiting for, my condolences. Despite his All My Children-esque declaration (“I’ve got… unfinished business”), David did not reveal himself to Emily in this first hour. As executive producer Sunil Nayar recently told TVLine, the plan is to “roll him out pretty slowly,” apparently beginning with Victoria.

CAUGHT RED(HEAD) HANDED | In other Grayson news, Margaux finally got Daniel to admit why he stepped down from the company. It was the same ol’ Daniel story — “Blah, blah, blah, then I woke up and she was dead” — only this time, he had Gideon to blame. So how will Margaux choose to deal with her half-brother’s latest wrongdoing? I’m hoping we’ll get another death by helicopter propeller… but I’m not holding my breath.

ROOKIE BLUE | So why did Jack decide to become a cop, you ask? For the record, it had nothing to do with making people forget about the time he kidnapped Charlotte; he literally couldn’t have stressed that point any more. According to him, he’s wanted to take up a badge ever since Amanda was killed, then again when Declan bit it. “Conrad had the cops in his pocket,” Jack told Emily. “I knew that if I became a cop, no one could pay me off.” (Oh, Conrad is dead, by the way. And not, like, David Clarke-dead. He’s actually dead.)

MEET THE NEWBIES | And what would a new summer in the Hamptons be without a few new faces? The Season 4 premiere introduced several additional players, beginning with Ben (The Client List‘s Brian Hallisay), a way-too-serious cop with the hots for Emily. We also met Nancy (another former Client List-er, Alicia Lagano) whose year went from bad to worse when she learned that Em’s pal Jennifer’s cheating husband was responsible for her fiancé’s death. Awkward.

Revenge-rs, what did you think of the Season 4 premiere? Do you miss the old show, or are you glad to see things get shaken up a bit completely? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Roco says:

It was ok, could have been better, This needs to be the last season.

• alistaircrane says:

Was Henry Czerny fired? I thought for sure Conrad would have survived the stabbing. I’m actually disappointed. I didn’t like Conrad but justice was not served. I wanted Conrad to suffer, not die.

• bar says:

It was clear that he “died” last season. David would not have let him live, though I wouldn’t be surprised if they brought him back later in the show.

• alistaircrane says:

No it wasn’t. A stabbing is easy to survive.

• Liz says:

Not when your in the middle of nowhere with only the person that stabbed you. yeah he’s dead. I like when shows push restart on things it makes a tired old storyline good again. Or else everyone would be in here talking about how Revenge is the same thing again. I think if you thought David was dead from the beginning you were kidding yourself.

• Tennisnsun says:

If Conrad died in the stabbing by David Clarke why wasn’t he or at least someone arrested for murder and put in the slammer? The whole subject was just dropped with one throw away line from Victoria “Conrad’s dead”.

2. Greg says:

The show needed to end after season three. Look where we are now…

Back yet again to Victoria Vs. Emily. Emily won, why go through all of this all over again?

Charlotte/Daniel are still loathsome. Shocking enough, Charlotte more than Daniel. But does anyone really care about Daniel and perhaps MarGOAWAY Vs. Gideon. Snooze.

David’s return. I said my piece about it last May. He was alive this whole time, letting his daughter go through unspeakable horrors. That’s not a father in my eyes, and I see no reason to root for him.

Jack as a cop. Okay. Jack’s hot partner. Whatever.

And of course, the show had to add a little take down of a character we know nothing about just to remind us the show is clearly about…REVENGE.

This is just going to flounder along for 22 episodes, probably in the ratings basement. S3 was the end. This is overkill.

• I have to admit I stopped watching Revenge after season 2, but BOY do I agree on David Clarke being alive. He left his daughter in jail, alone and believing him dead. At the very least he could have told her he was alive, if not when she was in Juvenile Detention, then when she was released. But he let her suffer from grief and obsession. All that effort and revenge for a man who didn’t do anything to reach out to her. If, and I don’t expect this, but if Emily and Victoria team up to take down David, that would be a kind of justice.

• Sally says:

Greg, love your comment “Margoway” LOL…that’s a good one but don’t agree that revenge should come to an end..

• Lerbert says:

Pretty much a 10-4 on all of these points for me. Though I have really enjoyed the show over the past few years and was hoping the season premiere could come back from the eye-rolling reveal of David Clarke’s existence–the whole hour felt very ho-hum. I didn’t expect Emily/Amanda to firebomb the Grayson mansion (ok, maybe I did) but living in it and still engaging with these fools was a real disappointment. I had hoped the season was going to open with Emily/Amanda making a fresh start–with Nolan by her side, of course. A retread of Victoria vs. Emily and all the same people acting the same way–enh.

3. Simon says:

I really enjoyed it.

4. JBC says:

Where was David Clarke all this time? Guess we will be finding out throughout this season. I love Nolan and think he is the voice of reason for Emily.. great character. Lots of changes and hope that the show will find some new interesting storylines. Like the new characters so far.

5. aa says:

It definitely picked up once Emily’s revenge-y plan came to fruition. Emily’s addiction to revenge is a great angle to play up, and the fact that she was almost delighted that Victoria had escaped was fantastic. Also, having Victoria find out that David is alive earlier, rather than later, was a relief.

6. iMember says:

LOVED THE PREMIERE! So many great character moments and developments, quick pacing, entertaining, and it was really well put together.

Victoria’s escape was flawless!

It doesn’t look like they’re slowing down at all this season. Actually, it feels like they’ve all be reinvigorated and it definitely shows!

• JJ says:

I feel like you never have anything bad to say about the show… seems like we’re watching two completely different shows :D (sorry, I recognize your nickname).

7. Diane says:

I thought it was fine, but this really needs to be its’ last season.

• Greg says:

It will. It will be last in the timeslot, with football and CSI killing it. Expect low 1’s in the demo. I wouldn’t even be surprised if ABC moved it mid-season to Friday’s just to burn it off.

• iMember says:

Lol. If you’re gonna comment on how ratings work, at least get it right. Even people on tvbythenumbers know Revenge will premiere well tonight, and should it do well creatively this season, it’s ratings will be absolutely fine enough for a renewal and likely fifth and final season.

• Greg says:

Let’s see… if the show premieres to anything below a 1.8 tomorrow, that’s a failure, IMO. Because that’s the best number the show will get and then it is a slow creep down as the episodes roll along.

Resurrection isn’t that good of a lead-in, as proven by last season. It started strong and went way down by the finale. With CBS being smart by putting veteran CSI at 10 (much better than the older skewing Good Wife/Mentalist combo), and NBC having football, Revenge is guaranteed to come in last.

OUAT will do well this season, Resurrection will be average at best, and Revenge will dwindle. I don’t need tvbythenumbers to simply see what the trend is with this show.

• Alex says:

It’s unlikely to premiere too well. As for how it does creatively, that makes no real difference to its renewal prospects. This is the show’s fourth season. ABC can cut it loose at the end of the season and still have enough episodes for syndication, bud.

8. Mika02 says:

I think it was a great start. I feel like they should have played around with keeping Victoria in psych for awhile. I’m really not interested in vicky or her brats getting revenge. I don’t miss Conrad yet either a few people said they missed him on Facebook. I think it’s a solid start we have to see how it progresses. Emanda needs healing more then anything not more fighting with the Graysons.

• ownedbydaisy says:

They can’t keep Victoria in lock-up. This show owes its success to the over-the-top b*tchiness between Emily and Victoria.

9. Lyla says:

I have a huge issue with what is supposedly coming up this season.

Emily was right, the Graysons took everything from her. Why would I want to watch a show about Victoria getting revenge on a girl whose life was ruined by that family? I’m always going to be Team Emily + Red Sharpie.

10. schu says:

A solid juicy start to the season. The show is strongest with the Emily/Victoria play obviously, always my favorite and what has kept me watching through the mess the show can be sometimes, so I’m really wishing the Daniel sidestory, especially Margaux and her brother, would be laid to rest and forgotten, and for reals I cannot handle how poorly acted the character of Charlotte is, it’s grating. And is Conrad reeeeally dead?

11. Para says:

There is nothing for them to write so they made this move….

So what, Emily’s revenge for Aiden’s death is only a summer?

12. Rose says:

The part where Nolan realized Emily had nothing to go back to as Amanda, and that’s why she was clinging to Emily Thorne was heartbreaking. I will always come back to Revenge for those phenomenal raw emotional moments from Emily and Nolan.

Jack, the french siblings, Daniel, and his ilk I could care less about.

But all hail queen Emily.

13. Thici Diniz says:

Victoria’s escape was one of the best scenes on this show, omg lol

14. I love it! this season is going to be epic..it’s just the bbeggining and we have already David Clarke back, Charlotte finally will know the Emily is her sister, Victoria seeing David Clarke in the end, i mean, it’s a lot to work in the next episodes!! Emily will going insane when she sees David Clarke! I’m not ready for this reunion! Anyway, i love Emily and Nolan scenes (as usual), and Jack was really great in this premiere! Daniel is getting on my nerves since last season..and Charlotte just needs to stop the drama!

Victoria’s escape was one of the best scenes on this show, omg lol

15. Gat says:

Compared to Season 3 and Season 2’s premiere, I thought this one was a bit slow. There were too much recap/summary of what every character did in the past six months.

Gideon strolled in for ten seconds and I already wanted to strangle him. Charlotte played the brat-kid card but kept falling short (more drugs and alcohol. Again. yawn.) And who the hell cares about Margaux, Daniel, and his amounding problems? Even David Clarke was too ambiguous and out of place here. There wasn’t too much mystery and scheming in an hour to keep my attention.

I was expecting Victoria to wield some magic that could bring trouble to Emily’s life, all from behind the doors of the psych ward. Blackmails, threatening notes, henchmens, there are so many things they could have spin out of Victoria. We are talking about the cunning mastermind here. As much as I hated/loved Victoria, I wanted to see her making takedowns.

Plot holes:

Why did it take Victoria six months to make an escape plan? The getting-the-phone thing could have been executed months ago.

No one recognized former queen of the Hampton in the psych ward? Hmph. But credits to her posh escape.

It was made known that the state took most of what the Graysons had left. Assuming they took the manor too, it’ll take more than six months before Emily could purchase it.

Revenge, stop introducing characters with good heart (Look at the cardboard-cut-out Margaux). We need someone with mysterious pasts/ hidden agendas/ secret alliances.

16. Na Young Kim says:

What if Victoria kills David before he meets his daughter? That won’t happen, right? I really hope he dosen’t trust Victoria again….

17. trainwreck says:

Revenge never disappoints! God I missed the cattiness of Emily vs Victoria all summer!

18. Anna says:

The only good thing about this show at this point is Nolan. He’s also the reason why I’ll probably watch this show no matter how ridiculous it gets. But I didn’t think the premiere was that bad, so we’ll just see where the season goes! (Also, Margaux’s new hair is crazy!)

19. Gio86 says:

It was much better than I expected it to be. Usually the season premieres of Revenge are a bit average and all over the place. Its always been a show that gets better during finale time but I have to say I really enjoyed its first hour!

20. cjeffery7 says:

i haven’t watched since maybe half way through season 2, sounds like i’ve missed a lot since then! LOL!

21. Iakovos says:

Not a bad reboot tho I still have a difficult time rooting for anyone. Emily/Amanda seems to be the hero of the piece but she, too, is flawed. Will be eager to see how it all plays out.

22. Melanie says:

I LOVED Emily’s dress at the Memorial.
    And I thought it was a pretty great episode compared to what we’ve been used to last couple of seasons. Like everyone else, don’t care about the storyline their are building to Daniel with Margaux and Gideon, I just want the show to focus on Emily’s unfolding story- and Victoria.
    They need to do a 10 episodes finale season. Because 20 always lets place to half the season slowing the main story

23. April says:

Started off GREAT!!!! I always expect the unexpected and am never disappointed. Hope this show continues on and on. Great writing and acting.

24. N says:

Loved it! Is Conrad dead?

25. Dave says:

Conrad isn’t dead lol its a soap they will probably unveil him before the hiatus in January or upon his return. In my opinion this was a very slow premiere

26. Chris says:

I’ve always been a fan of Revenge. I enjoyed the premiere like I’ve always enjoyed them. If the show gets canceled, oh well it had a really good run and I hope they tie everything up. If it keeps going that’s great too. I’ve always liked the show and never thought the story got too ridiculous (granted sometimes it shows when writers are stuck for some characters, especially Charlotte and Daniel).

27. Tahonia says:

I have a feeling that David Clarke is not going to be the saint that Emily and Nolan think he is. Victoria is going to be able to warp him into hating Emily Thorne before he even figures out it is his daughter. I think he went to Victoria because he loves her, not sure why he hasn’t contacted Nolan yet. I think David is going to be a master manipulator just like Victoria, I’ve never liked how he programmed Emily to be his revenger.

28. smartysenior says:

The writers are going to have to scramble to make us believe that a guy in prison for 20 years or so wouldn’t immediately go to his daughter and best friend. It just isn’t human nature. Not to mention Nolan had control of David’s money which he would need even at the cabin (if that’s where he’s been).

29. Chuck says:

Good to see Revenge back on the air, but this episode was so-so. Jack’s cop partner looks like Nolan’s old boyfriend, Patrick. I can’t believe the endless amount of ridiculous hairdos that Margo has to endure on this show. If David Clark is still alive, then Conrad can be too.

30. Patricia McKenzie says:

I liked Jack as the owner of that cool bar.He seems kind of boring as a cop. Also tired of Daniel, Margo, and pouty Charlotte.

31. Bob F. says:

Revenge works in mysterious ways. It is not imposible that we see Vuctoria & Amanda team up against a common enemy. Perhaps Conrad & Daniel. Ex’s vs Ex’s. If Conrad is actually dead. Stranger things have happened on this show. The women have a lot in common against those men. They both have to deal with what they did in their attemps to love/hate David Clark.

32. DDubs says:

Not that I mind (or even noticed at first), but I wonder why the producers/writers decided to abandon the time-jump mystery gimmick from the previous three seasons.

33. Tennisnsun says:

This was just about the stupidest premiere episode of any returning show ever. First of all the writers didn’t bother to inform their viewers that they had decided to gloss over the mess that was left behind with little explanation and merrily move on to what appears to be a totally different show that takes place sometime in the future where everyone is rocking spiky hair and showing off in ultra expensive sports cars. No longer my kind of show. It obviously is being geared to attract younger viewers. I was sorely disappointed when Emily had to produce a key to enter her old home. Since the beginning of Revenge the arrival of Emily’s guests has always been “announced” simply. by the flutter of the curtains. A nuance lost. Conrad deserved to die a most dramatic death exiting this world in grand fashion as only he can do. The whole feeling of the original show set in the elegant Hamptons has been gutted. Jack a cop? Come on!!

34. Amy says:

I thought it was only 6 months of a jump???

35. Tom says:

This was a hot hot mess. I was SO bored.

36. tyranthraxus says:

Im really not sure about this episode. Ive never been a regular viewer but nothing much seemed to get done.

37. Bill says:

Realize this is TV, but Victoria’s “escape” was way too phony. Emily Van Camp recently said she thought show should have ended after last season. Also she said Kelly told her from beginning that he would never bring David Clarke back. But new showrunner, new ideas, I guess. My guess is that few of the actors really have their hearts into this season. Shark has been jumped. This will be last season.

38. Deion says:

I’m so glad so many people who hate Revenge watched it. This episode was to show that Emily, despite getting everything she wanted is still unhappy without a cause. She was a wandering, shiftless, rich girl until she learned about the plot against her father. Her revenge gave her focus like she’s never had and now that she has accomplished it, where does she go from here? Victoria escaping had everything to do with giving Emily an enemy. Now with both sides knowing the truth.

I am excited for David Clarke to be alive. He escaped from prison, and left his daughter a substantial amount of money with which to live, happy and free. He’s had almost 20 years to contemplate his moves, I am ready to see what he does.

39. Larry C. says:

Only six months have passed? Jack must have been an exceptional student at the police academy. It’s amazing what one can accomplish through those on-line schools. And his new partner seemed so gay. Hook him up with Nolan! — And speaking of Nolan, how about that spiffy outfit he wore to Emily’s party! No self-respecting person, gay or straight, would be seen in that. — Someone should buy a one way ticket back to Paris for Margaux. The character has never been interesting. — As for David Clarke’s return, maybe it’s not David. It’s his twin brother. They haven’t used that old chestnut yet! — I agree with the others who say this will be the final season for the show. They just don’t write them like they used to. I would prefer to watch reruns of KNOT’S LANDING, DALLAS, or DYNASTY. If they can reboot DALLAS, please, someone do the same for KNOT’S LANDING, my all time favorite. Someone get Michele Lee and Donna Mills on the phone!

40. Kelly Deeny says:

I love the reversal and am intrigued on how the season will develop. There are so many roads the writers can take and it’s fun to guess what’s coming. Here are some questions that I’m excited to find out as the season progresses: 1) Where has David been this whole time and does he recognize Emily as his daughter? 2) How will Jack react when he finds out Emily’s road of vengeance isn’t quite over? 3) Now that Jack’s a copy, will Emily keep him out of her plans? 4) Will Victoria turn David against Emily?

41. Beda says:

They should have wrapped this show up last year. Conrad dead, Victoria institutionalized, boring Margaux and her brother back in France, Daniel in Jail and Charlotte finding out that Emily was her real sister. It would have been a good ending to see Emily/Amanda, David Clarke and Nolan fly off into the sunset and live happily ever after.

42. Esaul says:

Disappointed that Conrad’s dead. For such a great actor he received the shottiest exit.

• Tennisnsun says:

I totally agree with you. He deserved the grandest of exits as only he could portray! Maybe that means he isn’t dead and has just disappeared for awhile. They didn’t discuss who killed him or any suspects. Just dropped the subject. Very disappointing end for my favorite character.

• Letti says:

I agree with you both. I stil love Revenge, but I’ll definetly miss Henry Czerny’s awesome acting. He was so good, I couldn’t even really hate Conrad, even if he was the devil himself. But hey, he wasn’t shown truly dead… he might come back like David?

43. Dale Layton says:

Please tell me Victorias new found power is short lived. Not finished seeing her being tortured.

44. Amanda says:

can someone please inform me on how far they jumped in season 4? i am so confused. the season came back with vengeance! i love it. its back to what season 1 and 2 were. Amazing writing, perfect plots and character growth and twists

45. Valerie Jo says:

Please keep revenge going! This is the only TV show in my whole life that I have ever seen where it causes my blood pressure to rise. It is suspensed filled to the max! I am really not into soaps and dramas much, but this show is off the charts for me, I mean in a good way!!! I wish that they would just keep it going. It’s even better than any movie I’ve seen in a very long time. All week I look forward to seeing it, & I have taped every one of the shows.