Family Guy Premiere: 10 Must-Discuss Moments from The Simpsons Crossover

Family Guy Simpsons Crossover

After more than a year of hype, the first families of Fox finally came together on Sunday’s Family Guy season premiere. So, did the Simpsons crossover meet your expectations?

RELATED Family Guy Meets The Simpsons: 14 Photos From the Crossover Episode

It certainly met mine. I found the Griffins’ visit to Springfield to be a bizarre-yet-perfect marriage, one that taught us all a valuable lesson: Despite their inherent similarities, it’s OK to love both shows for (very) different reasons.

So, without further Apu, here are 10 moments that stuck out to me — for better or worse — from the premiere:

* I’m a big fan of jokes that remind us Brian is a dog, so I loved Marge’s blunt questioning of his desire to sit at the dinner table: “Oh, I was under the impression that you were a dog. … Have you ever drunk out of a toilet? … Dogs eat in the kitchen.”

* Quick follow-up to that last one: Why was Brian so high-and-mighty around Santa’s Little Helper? I recall Brian having sex with Seabreeze, a racing greyhound, back in Season 3. Now he’s better than one? Once again, Brian is the worst.

* I’m not going to describe this next one at length, but since I’ll never be able to get this image out of my head, it’s only fair that you should also share my burden:

Family Guy Simpsons

* Three cheers for self-awareness! Peter’s speech about how Pawtucket Ale (aka Family Guy) was “inspired” by Duff (The Simpsons), but that it “goes in a different direction,” was so spot-on — as was his comment about how he “used to love Duff” when he was younger, but hasn’t had it in “like, 13 years.”

* The entire court scene was brilliant, but Family Guy‘s James Woods meeting The Simpsons‘ James Woods was easily the cherry atop the entire sequence.

Matt Groening* And was that Simpsons creator Matt Groening sitting behind Joe and Bonnie? (Side note: I also kept my eyes peeled for Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane, but didn’t spot him. Did anyone have better luck?)

* The Meg/Lisa scenes were about as thrilling as you’d expect Meg/Lisa scenes to be, but — and feel free to call me crazy, gross, etc. — was anyone else expecting them to kiss goodbye? That was some serious slow-mo, droopy eyed leaning in they did.

* “I took Apu.” (Nice one, Stewie.)

* As expected, Peter’s chicken fight with Homer went on way too long, but it was all worth it for a brief glimpse of American Dad‘s Roger talking about the good ol’ days with Kang and Kodos. (Aaaand I’m suddenly craving a box of pecan sandies.)

* Lastly, Stewie’s chalkboard homage to Bart was a nice — albeit mildly depressing — way to end the episode.

What did you think of the Family Guy season premiere? Any great moments I missed? Rate the episode below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Adam says:

The fight scene at the end went on for toooo long. I really got bored because of it.

2. . (@yikes77) says:

What the deuces, that was pretty good! Woohoo!

3. D says:

It was okay-ish. Just like the over-hyped death earlier.

4. Greg says:

Ok overall. Really hated the fight scene, way to long.
    One laugh out loud moment was the leap across Springfield gorge. Peter thinking they’ll make it & Homer’s deadpan we won’t, trust me was classic.

5. alistaircrane says:

Great episode, and I hate Family Guy.

6. kpopandanime247 says:

It was very meh…all the hype killed it

7. those people who voted d or f for this episode are really poor themselves episode was awesome

8. JeffDJ says:

I thought it was pretty cool. The two versions of James Woods in the court room scene was hilarious. Loved all the in-jokes and wink-wink references.

9. David4 says:

The Futurama crossover will be better.

“The show out of ideas meets the show out of episodes”.

10. Julio says:

You didn’t mention the judge who is the prototype for both Homer and Peter…Fred Flintstone.

11. My favorite moment of the episode was the “he can’t fly on his own so we have to carry him. They let that other guy, and look what happened.” (not a verbatim quote, but you get it)

12. Joey Padron says:

Crossover episode was good & funny. Cool to see The Simpsons characters & Family guy characters interact with each other.

13. Cideric Rhyes says:

It was okay but Family Guy is clearly funnier then the Simpson’s. The episode started out funny and almost insightful, but fell flat once the Griffens got to Springfield.

14. murley says:

I know this isn’t the best place for this comment but, no Brooklyn 99 premiere recap? It was hysterical!

15. I laughed and cringed during this episode but loved it up until the WAY TOO LONG boring Homer/Peter fight. It made me feel like they ran out of story and just had to add filler. Other than that awesome episode!!

16. ArchieLeach says:

Judge Flintstone was my favorite part.

17. Paul says:

Alright, it was both incredibly sexist and unbelievably crude, but calling their version of “The View”, “The Flow” had me laughing for ages.

18. Thing is, the crossover was good, but what the hell happened in the last two seasons of Family Guy with all the splatter or exaggerated blooded scenes? Since season 10 almost every FGuy’s episode has a scene where someone’s got really hurt or slices of skins and blood everywhere.. and this episode made no exception with all the fight scene. In my opinion, like Simpsons did, Family Guy run out of good episodes around season 9, but although the Simpsons found a way back to be enjoyable (not good as it was but still watchable) around season 19/20, I think that Family Guy it’s a complete train-wreck, maybe due to McFarlane’s other commitments began with “Ted”. I hope to see the show growing better, still I found this crossover good, but with too many concepts way too far from Springfield humour, like Meg’s being creepy, the car wash and the aforementioned fight scene. Court room part was instead and highlight to remember for years to come.

19. Ryan says:

Both Matt Groening and Seth MacFarlane were in the court room scene. They are both in the back of the room, and can be seen when it shows the entire court room; they are standing on the sides of their respected creations, Matt Groening on the left and Seth MacFarlane on the right.

20. Ugh says:

I liked the Meg/Lisa scenes. It shows that the FG writers DO know how to write for Meg (unless that was a contribution from the Simpsons writers) and just choose to treat her as a second class citizen for what they think are laughs. It’s not funny. It’s pathetic.

21. Henry Birks says:

I saw Seth McFarlane!! He was in the back and a lot harder to spot. I recognised him from when the two creators drew each other.

22. The courtroom scene was fantastic, with everyone meeting their counterparts to Kool-Aid Guy calling Peter and telling him he was in the wrong courtroom. And the scene where they’re trying to jump the gorge had me laughing my tail off.

I always love a good fight between Peter and the Chicken, but last night’s went on way too long. I found myself just waiting for it to end instead of enjoying it like I do with Peter vs. Chicken.

Kinda surprised they left Stewie’s rape joke bit in, but then again, I shouldn’t have been because it’s Family Guy.

Overall, it was an OK episode.